Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Diamond Suite Upgrade for a family member

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2014, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum

My brother (we both have same last name) has Diamond Suite upgrades, I do not have them. Will Hyatt (international location) honor the suite upgrade if my brother does not show up, but I do. Reservation is with points and with suite upgrade applied to it. Will it make any difference if the reservation is with cash and than the suite upgrade certificates. I do not have any status with Hyatt currently. I do have Hilton Diamond and Starwood Platinum if there is a way to use that to my advantage. Hyatt is the best place to stay in that location.
Old May 13, 2014, 10:55 am

The others will help as to whether Diamond Suite Upgrades are transferrable.

Regarding your saying that booking is made on points then upgraded, that is not possible with Hyatt. You either book on revenue or Cash plus Points, then you can use a Diamond Suite Upgrade.
Old May 13, 2014, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
The others will help as to whether Diamond Suite Upgrades are transferrable.

Regarding your saying that booking is made on points then upgraded, that is not possible with Hyatt. You either book on revenue or Cash plus Points, then you can use a Diamond Suite Upgrade.
Thanks.
Old May 13, 2014, 2:07 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

You can have your brother issue the award in your name (need to call in since cannot be done online) then it won't be a problem (note that suite awards have to be at least 3 night).
Old May 13, 2014, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by peteropny
You can have your brother issue the award in your name (need to call in since cannot be done online) then it won't be a problem (note that suite awards have to be at least 3 night).
This would then be a points booking where extra points are used to confirm a suite.

OP wants to use brother's Diamond suite upgrade certs for himself, where brother will not be anywhere near the property. AFAIK this cannot be done, not can the owner of a Diamond Suite Upgrade upgrade his/her own room if it was paid with ponts. To upgrade a paid room using HGP points requires not only a reservation for a room to be paid with money but also a reasonably expensive rate.
Old May 14, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
You can't use a diamon suite upgrade to upgrade a points booking... It only works on paid rates. However they can't be used on anyone but the diamond member.

So you have 2 choices:
1) get your brother to pay for your whole stay in points.

2) take the diamond challenge using your Hilton or SPG status. Then you need to stay 12 nights in the 60 days after getting the match to retain the status (if you get it in June it should last till Feb 2016). As soon as the challenge starts you get the 4 suite upgrades so you can use them for this stay (provided it is paid).
Old May 14, 2014, 11:52 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pogonation
However they can't be used on anyone but the diamond member
Not completely true.... they also can be used for others when you have a reservation for multiple rooms.
Old May 15, 2014, 7:09 am

Taking challenge to be come Diamond costs time and money. Doesn't seem OP will be inclined.

Brother can use points to book an award for basic room in OP's name. Then see if hotel will agree to a cash buy up to suite. Probably works out cheaper than taking the challenge. If still doesn't work or you don't want to spend the points, stay in a basic room - nothing wrong with that. Or else redeem 2 basic rooms using twice as many points and ask hotel if it will give you a suite instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.