Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

LOVE HYATT BUT GOT DEVASTATED - Hyatt Regency Cancun Closing Doors 30 Apr 14

LOVE HYATT BUT GOT DEVASTATED - Hyatt Regency Cancun Closing Doors 30 Apr 14

Old Mar 25, 14, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest CP/A & Hyatt Globalist - love both of these companies!
Exclamation LOVE HYATT BUT GOT DEVASTATED - Hyatt Regency Cancun Closing Doors 30 Apr 14

I've been with Hyatt for TEN years. Love them and travel with them exclusively. If there's no Hyatt, we don't go there. Promote them to everyone and even have their credit card.

Booked airfare and an entire trip for my whole family (three households from 3 different states) to fly to Cancun the first week of August 2014.
Understand that is MISSION IMPOSSIBLE with eight jobs, kids, school, sports, obligations, etc...

Saved Hyatt points from exclusive personal and corporate travel for two years, and all anniversary awards from my Hyatt Credit card. Went to book TWELVE nights using anniversary and point awards at the Hyatt Regency Cancun ----- told that the hotel being sold and renamed the Grand Crystal Cancun on April 30, 2014 . Points, diamond amenities, regency club, suite upgrades, etc... are no longer valid at the property .

There is no news flash or write-up on the Hyatt website or the web. You can still book full price nights on the Hyatt website. As a diamond member, I am totally bummed. Non-refundable airfare has been paid for, and now I went from hero to zero with my family. What am I supposed to do now???

Called Diamond line and GP supervisor - "nothing we can do." They were empathetic, but not willing to really DO anything.

Asked if maybe they would let me stay at the Zilara Cancun for the same points as Regency Cancun (8k x 10 nights = 80k) - since this entire issue is not my fault and handled somewhat unprofessionally on Hyatt.com with no update/news/options etc... "No, that type of comp is above our pay grade."

Who among you is feeling creative?
Is there a better option I have not considered?
Is there an executive contact who might be able to perform a miracle?

I love Hyatt so much, and act as a center of influence with my company and other travel firms, but this has really ruined my summer and my past YEARS of planning.

Right now we are out over a THOUSAND DOLLARS for non-refundable flights. More importantly, few things are worse than letting down your own family and their dreams of an awesome summer vacation.

CRUSHED - Please help me.
Old Mar 25, 14, 1:54 pm
dw

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC, Hilton Diamond
If you had an existing awards reservation that would be impacted by the ownership/flag change, Hyatt would likely have worked to accommodate you. Unfortunately, since you were not able to make an award booking before Hyatt stopped accepting them, in this case you are SOL.
Old Mar 25, 14, 2:03 pm

You didn't check the hotel or anything before making the non refundable flight bookings? What if they didn't even close on 4/30 but didn't have enough award rooms left on your dates?
Old Mar 25, 14, 2:08 pm

i am a big fan of hyatts but this is way overdramatized - you are going to vacation in cancun not at hyatt... i am sure there are plenty of very nice properties there

If there's no Hyatt, we don't go there.
sorry it is very hard to believe

now I went from hero to zero with my family
then you have bigger problems than closing hyatt
Old Mar 25, 14, 2:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Hard to think anything than you're making a bit of a drama over this.... you didn't have a booking and now there are no rooms, whatever the reason.
Happens to all of us on a regular basis, best to look somewhere else and get over it. Not much in other options.

Last edited by RTW1; Mar 25, 14 at 3:15 pm
Old Mar 25, 14, 3:01 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by uneeq View Post
You didn't check the hotel or anything before making the non refundable flight bookings? What if they didn't even close on 4/30 but didn't have enough award rooms left on your dates?
OP, sorry that this happened to you but you were looking at 12 award nights which you did not book until after you bought airfare? That's a lot of nights to assume that will be available for awards.
Old Mar 25, 14, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by peteropny View Post
OP, sorry that this happened to you but you were looking at 12 award nights which you did not book until after you bought airfare? That's a lot of nights to assume that will be available for awards.
This. Award nights are refundable. Always book rooms before the flight.
Old Mar 25, 14, 5:46 pm
K79

I am in a similar situation as the OP. But I booked my reservation with points (in January 2014) before I purchased my flights (feb 2014). GP said they will honor the nights I reserved with GP points. However, I dont want to stay in a place where I have no ties or membership with. In addition, if I start looking at other hotels at this point for New Years, the prices will be high and now I have to use cash. Now I'm waiting for a manager to get back to me with more information.

Last edited by K79; Mar 25, 14 at 5:51 pm
Old Mar 25, 14, 6:09 pm

i think you would have been pretty disappointed if you had been able to stay there anyway. it is not a hotel that is up to hyatt's standards imho (probably why they are selling it in the first place). if this vacation is something that will only happen once every few years, why waste it staying at such a subpar property? why even stay in cancun? just rent a luxury condo from airbnb in playa del carmen 30 minutes south of cancun and call it a day. the major brands may have a presence in cancun, but in general they are far from the best options in that area.
Old Mar 25, 14, 6:14 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID RAZR Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-16-5) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

pretty much have to echo everything that was already said. pretty much no sympathy here since it seems it was 100% avoidable with a modicum of planning.
Old Mar 25, 14, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
I am very sorry to hear of your misfortune. That stands. That said, what remains is just the value of your points. I'd suggest wasting no time after you hear Customer Relations' (the place to escalate) final response in getting the Zilara reserved. Getting out from under all the grief you describe is well worth the extra points, IMO. I suggest that the HR will be a distant memory once you're there - and you'll feel that you were blessed after all. (This said without having a clue about what the Zilara is like, but its all-in set-up alone makes me think you'll have stepped in **** and come up smelling like a rose.)

One more thing - noting the word "comp" in your OP - is there the slight chance that there was a miscommunication with the GP CSR as to what you were asking for?

ETA: One more thing. It is a poor reflection that the first that even "insiders" like us hear about this is this post. I imagine that there are many plans that are needing to be changed. This said, it's not the first time there's been an audible at scrimmage in how Hyatt handles Cancun. Good luck to all.

Last edited by Firewind; Mar 25, 14 at 7:02 pm
Old Mar 25, 14, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by Firewind View Post
(This said without having a clue about what the Zilara is like, but its all-in set-up alone makes me think you'll have stepped in **** and come up smelling like a rose.)
Further to the "without having a clue" part, a little birdie just told me that the Zilara is adults-only..... Nevvver mind.
Old Mar 25, 14, 7:38 pm
Suspended

"If there's no Hyatt, we don't go there."

Wowwww...
Old Mar 25, 14, 7:46 pm

blessing in disguise. Gives the OP an excuse to book a better resort (of which there are plenty compared to the HRC).
Old Mar 25, 14, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest CP/A & Hyatt Globalist - love both of these companies!
So, minus the flames from non - sympathetic folks, I appreciate the feedback. In life, many mistakes can be avoided with some level of change or pre-planning, and hindsight is 20/20. My policy is: if I don't have a solution, I usually don't criticize - but to each their own.

Against my better judgment...in response :
1) my twelve nights were spread across a few rooms.
2) Is 6 months in advance poor planning?
3) Most places I want to go have a Hyatt and I do actually map trips around them (Kauai, Beaver Creek, Lake Tahoe, Key West, etc... are those bad vacation spots?). Call it what you will, I like Hyatt and support the brand, their typically high level of customer service, and my perks. I feel justified traveling exclusively with them even if that sounds extreme to some.

Quotes:
"It is a poor reflection that the first that even "insiders" like us hear about this is this post." ----legit point, ty Firewind

@K79 ---- please tell me what happens to you.

Finally, if you think I'm an idiot, I can personally handle that, but it would be amazing if you would keep it to yourself as a demonstration of your own good upbringing.

If you actually have a real solution that I might be able to discuss or consider, or a contact at hyatt, that would be of great value. Of all places, on flyertalk I would hope to garner support for at least the attempt to resolve something that I find unsatisfactory - the loss of use of a hotel to the detriment of a customer with no disclosure or supplied potential resolution.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: