Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

How much would you value Hyatt Diamond?

How much would you value Hyatt Diamond?

Old Feb 28, 14, 5:00 am

Programs: IC Amb, Priority Plat, Accor Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
The worth of diamond is very difficult to list. Everyone values things different.

Let's face it though it has to be one of the best programs.

A lot of my stays over the year are for leisure and I love the fact of booking the cheapest room and receiving the best (when available) or indeed applying a DSU.

Club use is great in some European and particularly Asian properties and then the free breakfast.

For me the DSU is great because having a young daughter travelling with us it gives us extra room for free. Sometimes the difference between base room and suite is 500-700$ difference per night. That is a big deal when spending 4 weeks travelling through Asia on vacation.

The my elite rate is also worth another 20% of paid stays which remain fully flexible. A great feature.

The bottom line, have I spent more money at Hyatt in the last 14 months. Cease of being Diamond? Yes without doubt. Have I got more for my dollar? Yes. It's a win win the way I see it and I love being diamond at Hyatt. A couple more stays required and that's me sorted for next year too.
Old Feb 28, 14, 5:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JustinTI View Post
The problem is that you cannot take advantage of any special rate (AAA, myelite, AARP, etc.) or best rate guarantee or stay on points and get any of those benefits. Personally, it's pretty rare that there is not some sort of advantageous rate I'm using when staying at a Hyatt. And I save my points to redeem at the nicest Hyatt properties.
Are you saying that if you book a room on Hyatt.com using the Elite Rate, those nights wont' count towards a eligible night during the Diamond Challenge?! I'm currently on the challenge and got a few nights completed using that rate!
Old Feb 28, 14, 5:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

You missed that the sentence started with: And on the FHR/virtuoso rates

The point being that those rates might get you somewhat comparable benefits, they are not the discounted rates you can use as a Diamond.
Old Feb 28, 14, 8:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt diamond, Usair Northwest silver
hyatt manila

my post was tongue in cheek about priceless access to lounge. To OP hotel is booked so no lounge access to non diamonds for $40. Service here is great and I have had a great stay
Old Feb 28, 14, 8:11 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I got that :-). And you should enjoy the lounge access, I know I mostly do.

But it's also something that you can simply buy at the time of booking by choosing a club room there for an additional $40, and it's rare that those aren't offered. And I'm pretty sure most properties would be glad to charge you for access even for a regular room (since there normally isn't any difference), they make money of that....
Old Feb 28, 14, 3:52 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jarusoba View Post
Very true. And most of our Hyatt stays are at FHR properties.

But some FHR properties would further upgrade a Diamond to a better room while FHR only gives you one room upgrade. If you use a suite upgrade on an FHR booking, chances are they would further upgrade you to a higher suite.
That's very true, which is why it depends on one's travel patterns. If someone travels by themselves or with one other person, then a suite isn't exactly necessary unless it's a long stay (4-7 nights).

Another thing to keep in mind is how much one has to pay out of their own pocket to retain Diamond status. Some of us are able to get a good number of hotel nights through business travel, while others have to pay for all twenty-five nights.

Personally, I would have to pay for all twenty-five nights for roughly $2500 a year ($100 a night). There aren't many cheap Hyatt properties in the Seattle area and the lowest I've seen them go for was $98 after taxes. If I lived in the Atlanta or Chicago area, I might be able to get the rooms for a cheaper cost..

This is why I pity non-US based HGP Diamonds who pay for their reservations themselves since they have to deal with high hotel rates year-round.
Old Feb 28, 14, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Originally Posted by dewby View Post
The worth of diamond is very difficult to list. Everyone values things different.
Hence the title of this topic is "How much would you value Hyatt Diamond?", not "What is the worth of Hyatt Diamond?"