Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

How much would you value Hyatt Diamond?

How much would you value Hyatt Diamond?

Old Feb 26, 14, 4:39 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by nhwiki View Post

Regency clubs - besides using them to pick up a soda or water, what else do they offer these days? And for all the folks raving about the offerings for breakfast or dinner at this or that club, if you are on vacation, do you really want to compete with dozens of folks grabbing at best Costco reheated stuff in most locations? Goodness, I'm on vacation, so I am going out to dinner.
Exactly, that's why I usually opt for hotels with no lounge. I prefer to have real breakfast in a real restaurant.
Old Feb 26, 14, 5:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Whateverist, Starwood LTP, Marriot Platinum (SPG merge)
Originally Posted by jarusoba View Post
Exactly, that's why I usually opt for hotels with no lounge. I prefer to have real breakfast in a real restaurant.
What is the difference between a property with no lounge and a property that has a lounge you don't visit?
Old Feb 26, 14, 7:53 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
What is the difference between a property with no lounge and a property that has a lounge you don't visit?
The breakfast. (Usually)

If I care to have breakfast, I would much rather have the complimentary diamond breakfast in the restaurant than in the lounge. With a few exceptions, one can only have the free diamond breakfast in the lounge rather than the restaurant if there is a lounge in that property.
Old Feb 26, 14, 8:47 pm

Programs: ex-Delta DM (NWA was nice while it lasted), Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jarusoba View Post
The breakfast. (Usually)

If I care to have breakfast, I would much rather have the complimentary diamond breakfast in the restaurant than in the lounge. With a few exceptions, one can only have the free diamond breakfast in the lounge rather than the restaurant if there is a lounge in that property.
Exactly - and as for the with or without lounges, the math is pretty simple. AAA w/breakfast at Grands/Regencies with lounges where possible, and stay at PH's or other hotels without lounges - Breakfast at the PH DC is great, and the Andaz 5th Avenue, for example).
Old Feb 27, 14, 12:33 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by yerffej201 View Post
Sorry if you feel this way. that's why i refrained from linking in my first post... then you asked... so... anyways here's the content from my post
I feel that if you start a thread you should at least participate content-wise and post more than just a few lines with a link, but good that you posted the content.

If you look at all the reactions it's obvious that we all value Diamond status differently, based on personal preferences, the number of nights stayed and the locations. And there's a world of difference in value you could get for US vs some of the international properties.

For instance I also don't care so much about having a suite. But sometimes that suite also comes with other benefits like a balcony. Even when I didn't need the space I kinda liked sitting on that balcony facing the beach when I was in Aruba.... And having lounge access in a US property normally isn't worth a lot, that can be quite different when I'm sipping a few free gin&tonics in Asia. And for those I would have paid otherwise....

If I only would be staying in the US city properties I wouldn't even try to requalify for Diamond status.
Old Feb 27, 14, 4:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt diamond, Usair Northwest silver
priceless

As much as I admire the math whizzes here, I am finding Hyatt Diamond status PRICELESS at the moment. I am sitting in the beautiful lounge at the Hyatt Manila looking at the sunset over Manila Bay enjoying a complimentary adult beverage. I have had premier status at Hilton, Marriott and Hyatt and I have enjoyed my status as a Diamond the best.
Old Feb 27, 14, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by howinus View Post
As much as I admire the math whizzes here, I am finding Hyatt Diamond status PRICELESS at the moment. I am sitting in the beautiful lounge at the Hyatt Manila looking at the sunset over Manila Bay enjoying a complimentary adult beverage. I have had premier status at Hilton, Marriott and Hyatt and I have enjoyed my status as a Diamond the best.
Have to agree with you.

Hyatt Diamond, compared with Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum (haven't been but have been Gold), delivers the perks much more consistently. If there were more Hyatt properties, Hyatt would beat the other chains hands down.
Old Feb 27, 14, 5:35 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by howinus View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble..... but that PRICELESS lounge access can simply be bought for $40 a day :-).
Old Feb 27, 14, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble..... but that PRICELESS lounge access can simply be bought for $40 a day :-).

Free stuff is always priceless........
Old Feb 27, 14, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
For me, NOT caring about achieving status in a loyalty program is priceless.
Old Feb 27, 14, 11:33 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Titanium
I was actually thinking about this the other day and feel HGP Diamond status isn't worth it if the Hyatt properties you frequent are FHR/Virtuoso properties. Aside from the suite upgrades (which I think is the only valuable benefit with HGP Diamond), you get pretty much everything else with the Virtuoso/AMEX benefits... sometimes you even get a $100 F&B credit or complimentary massage, which you don't even get with Diamond status.
Old Feb 27, 14, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp View Post
I was actually thinking about this the other day and feel HGP Diamond status isn't worth it if the Hyatt properties you frequent are FHR/Virtuoso properties. Aside from the suite upgrades (which I think is the only valuable benefit with HGP Diamond), you get pretty much everything else with the Virtuoso/AMEX benefits... sometimes you even get a $100 F&B credit or complimentary massage, which you don't even get with Diamond status.
Very true. And most of our Hyatt stays are at FHR properties.

But some FHR properties would further upgrade a Diamond to a better room while FHR only gives you one room upgrade. If you use a suite upgrade on an FHR booking, chances are they would further upgrade you to a higher suite.
Old Feb 27, 14, 2:52 pm

Couple thoughts:

Valuing diamond is tough....There are many different methods to use as can be seen throughout this thread.

I'll value it by the amount of mattress running I am willing to do should I fall short of the requirements. For me, the breakeven point there is about 10 stays.

Locally, that works out to about $1000 (at $100 per stay) less somewhere in the neighborhood of 15,000 Hyatt points. If I had a lot of stays planned for the subsequent year at some really nice Hyatts, I'd probably be willing to stretch that out further - the opposite if I did not.

And on the FHR/virtuoso rates, I agree that diamond is less valuable if you typically pay for your stay at the Hyatt Daily rate (which is usually pretty close to the FHR rate). The problem is that you cannot take advantage of any special rate (AAA, myelite, AARP, etc.) or best rate guarantee or stay on points and get any of those benefits. Personally, it's pretty rare that there is not some sort of advantageous rate I'm using when staying at a Hyatt. And I save my points to redeem at the nicest Hyatt properties.
Old Feb 27, 14, 5:14 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by JustinTI View Post
Couple thoughts:

Valuing diamond is tough....There are many different methods to use as can be seen throughout this thread.

I'll value it by the amount of mattress running I am willing to do should I fall short of the requirements. For me, the breakeven point there is about 10 stays.

Locally, that works out to about $1000 (at $100 per stay) less somewhere in the neighborhood of 15,000 Hyatt points. If I had a lot of stays planned for the subsequent year at some really nice Hyatts, I'd probably be willing to stretch that out further - the opposite if I did not.

And on the FHR/virtuoso rates, I agree that diamond is less valuable if you typically pay for your stay at the Hyatt Daily rate (which is usually pretty close to the FHR rate). The problem is that you cannot take advantage of any special rate (AAA, myelite, AARP, etc.) or best rate guarantee or stay on points and get any of those benefits. Personally, it's pretty rare that there is not some sort of advantageous rate I'm using when staying at a Hyatt. And I save my points to redeem at the nicest Hyatt properties.
I totally agree on the last point, which is a big factor for me. Also as I travel in many Asian properties, the diamond benefits are much more pronounced and of higher quality. Simply staying in North America I would find it hard to see any benefit that isn't marginal.
Old Feb 28, 14, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo View Post
For me, NOT caring about achieving status in a loyalty program is priceless.
Though it took a lot of money to get to that point.

Search this Thread