Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Amsterdam airport (Hoofddorp) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2014, 6:29 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Since it's the first Hyatt Place in the Netherlands/Europe I thought a review thread would be nice.... And it gave me an excuse to stay in Amsterdam over the weekend :-).

With 330 rooms it's a substantial hotel located in Hoofddorp, a few kilometers from Amsterdam Schiphol airport. Plenty of parking and a free shuttle service to the airport.

The hotel opened at the end of January, so it's only been open for about 3 weeks when I stayed there this weekend. As far as I could tell everything is up and running, although there was still some minor work done in the public areas. Occupancy was very, very light when I was there with never more than a few guests visible at any given time.

It's an imposing building, clearly visible from the A4 highway:

The entrance is at the back where the parking is located. Not the most impressive entrance I've ever seen, but it works:

Where this hotel really excels, and is quite different than the average HP, is in the use of public space. Very, very nice use of space with lots of different seating areas. I'm curious how this will work when occupancy will be high since it's quite a big open space where sound seemed to carry, but more people might make this less noticeable. Overall I really liked the design.

The ground floor contains the check-in counters, a number of iMacs for public use, the restaurant, the bar and vending machines and a lot of seating areas. Plus the elevators.
With stairs at both sides leading to the first floor where a number of meeting rooms and the fitness center are located.

Should have also taken some pictures of the bar area but failed to do so......

The design throughout the hotel is a bit more colorful than you would expect. Makes a rather nice difference compared to all those bland airport hotels you see everywhere. Nice colors at the elevators and in the hallways. Elevators are controlled by using your key-card, always a bit of a pain, but it seems to be the norm these days. But you can access all floors and even choose more than one after your key-card is verified, so a bit of false security here.

Rooms are pretty standard for an airport hotel, but also a bit different than the standard HP rooms I've stayed at. The common factor is the couch/ottoman but it's a more European room than what you would get in the US. I'm not sure if this was the standard King or the Large King, I assume it was the basic king room since all the rooms on my floor seemed to have the same dimensions. The website is something that still needs a bit of work since the information there is lacking in detail (description for all the rooms is identical and the room size isn't even mentioned). The pictures used are generic HP stock, reality is quite different (but nice).

The floor plans on http://www.hyattdevelopment.com/bran...es_europe.html seem to suggest that the standard is 26m2/277ft2 and large is 31m2/324ft2....

Overall a very decent room, probably a bit smaller than what you get on average in the US. But quite nice.

The one thing I didn't like was the temperature control they have decided to use. Instead of having a normal thermostat where you can set the exact temperature you like there is a switch that controls the fan speed and only a + and - setting for the temperature. Mine was set at the coldest setting but still the room was quite warm. This probably is a result of the sustainable energy systems (WKO-system) that were so prominently announced.... but that I find far from perfect in actual use. Might be that some tinkering will be needed to get everything running at it's optimum.

Plenty of power sockets in the room and next to the bed, so that's a big plus. And no fiddling with designer light switches so that's good too.
Wireless internet coverage and speed was good, but that shouldn't come as a surprise with only a few people using it. Although I'm not much of a fan of the Swissport solution they are using.
Plenty of closet space, a refrigerator (empty so you can stock it yourself) and a safe provide everything you should need.

Also a very decent sized bathroom with 110/220v power outlets. Only thing that was missing was the overhead rain shower..... a bit of a shame. And here some tinkering will be required as well.... the ventilation unit is always running (not controlled by the light switch) and was rather loud. Closing of the (frosted) glass door was required to not be bothered by the noise when sleeping. The thermostatic shower tap also wasn't calibrated properly, that 38 degrees setting was in fact a lot warmer.

But I'm sure these things will be worked out in the next few weeks/months.

Another area where this hotels excels when compared to the US HP's is breakfast. Not only is the buffet so much better than what I've gotten in the US, they also have a full kitchen and you can order your egg dishes just the way you like them, great freshly made scrambled eggs. I didn't push it by ordering something like Eggs Benedict :-).
I was so surprised that I went a bit overboard with the pictures here....

After that breakfast you can work off some of those calories in the fitness center. All the basic cardio equipment is there plus some free weights, only a rowing machine is missing.

Location wise this property is about just as good or bad as a lot of the other airport properties that aren't located at the airport. Easily accessible but also located in areas that are quite industrial. The HP Amsterdam/Hoofddorp is no exception here. There's really nothing to do in the immediate area, except a petrol station across the street and a McDonalds a few blocks south. To go anywhere you either need the airport shuttle, walk to the Hoofddorp station or have a car. It's far from a great location to stay when you plan on visiting Amsterdam.....
Views are nothing really special, but fortunately there's nothing blocking your view on either side:

Overall I had a very nice stay for the two nights I was there. A decent room, friendly staff and a rather nice breakfast were the highlights for me.

But I do wonder how this rather big increase in the number of airport hotel rooms will work out in the end. The occupancy currently is very low and there is plenty of competition, some with rates that are also quite competitive. I find some of the rates the HP seems to go for in the next few month rather steep, €150-220 is a bit more than I would be willing to pay for an airport hotel. Weekend rates (Friday/Saturday) seem to be a bit lower than those on weekdays. For the next few weeks the rates seem a bit better though, and should you plan on staying for 2 nights before May 18th then there is an opening offer for an extra 3000 GP points as well.

Last edited by RTW1; Feb 24, 2014 at 11:03 am
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:25 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

And to conclude my stay..... both the points for the Diamond amenity and the promotional offer didn't post, but 6 hours after an e-mail to GP everything was adjusted correctly :-).
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Great trip report. ^

I was actually looking forward to a stay there during the first weeks after the grand opening, but forgot about it completely.

Thanks for the reminder.

The room looks small. Reading the room desciption, I already thought about the games the property could play, for example, not upgrading Diamonds to the larger rooms. Let's hope, this will not continue. I am a little bit underwhelmed, simply because (as you have mentioned) it does not look like a Hyatt Place, maybe with the exception of the sofa. Very small TV set for a HP as well.

The carpets on the floor look like vintage HP material, though.

IIRC, they have fake Flos lamps at the Andaz, the HP seems to believe in fake Artemide Tolomeos...at least in the hallways.

Breakfast looks good, public areas look very good as well. They upgraded the offerings in the US over the last year or so and it has become a decent breakfast buffet for a limited service hotel, at least in my opinion.

I expect the hotel the become quite popular for tourists, especially after another FT fan favourite, the Pulitzer, has started playing games.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 3:40 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The room was indeed a bit smaller than I expected, but it's about what you get at an average European hotel in this class.....26m2 sounds about right, and that extra 5m2 for the larger room probably doesn't make much difference. The lamps are not so much a copy, but a rather different design. But on average also of average quality. Not that it's out of place here, and there are plenty of lights in the hotel, better than what you also see with rail lightning or even fluorescence lighting.

And I agree breakfast has improved at HP's. But this was really way better than I've ever gotten at a US HP. And a much bigger and pleasurable area to enjoy it as well, compared for instance to one of the latest HP's at LAX.

I rather doubt you assumption about popularity..... the location is really not that good when you are a tourist. If you're on a budget you could take the shuttle to the airport and take the train to town, but that's quite a hassle. And the rates aren't exactly cheap, lot's of cheaper options available.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Do any of the rooms have bathtubs? I'm traveling with two kids under the age of 4 and really need a room with a bathtub for them.

Do they upgrade diamonds to the larger king rooms? How easy is it to get into the city? I would have liked to stay at the Andaz, but they don't have any points or cash+points available the dates I'm traveling, no suite upgrades available so I can't really justify 450 euros/nt at the andaz.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:15 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The floorplans for the International HP's suggests that the larger rooms do have a bath..... but I've not actually seen that room here. And I wasn't upgraded to one as a Diamond either (even though at check-in I was promised a "good" room). But I didn't really care anyway because I didn't need the space. The shower is of a very decent size, plenty of room for a parent and child.

But I would contact the hotel directly if I was you.... the website was recently changed and now all rooms are labeled as standard, the large room have exactly the same description as the others. The website is a bit of a mess in my opinion, not accurate at all still using US HP pictures and lack of decent room description like showing the actual m2 of the room. But that's Hyatt IT for you.

Access to the city is fairly easy, but it does take a lot of time. It's either walking to Hoofddorp station (15min) or taking the shuttle to the airport and then taking a train. I wouldn't use this as a city hotel for more than one day.

Last edited by RTW1; Mar 14, 2014 at 6:27 am
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by XCstud
Do any of the rooms have bathtubs?....Do they upgrade diamonds to the larger king rooms? How easy is it to get into the city?.....
Large rooms have bathtubs, not standard rooms. Diamond upgrade is iffy as GP upgrade policy does not officially cover Hyatt Places. There are four different room categories, standard and large, each with either King or two Twins.

You need to take a shuttle van to airport, which runs every half an hour, then train to city. Should take about 40 minutes if you time it right.

This property is not run-of-the-mill Hyatt Place. It is much nicer than Hyatt Places in the USA with proper lobby lounge and restaurant. A budget alternative for expensive Netherlands if the location works for you.

Last edited by TerryK; Mar 14, 2014 at 6:43 am
Old Mar 15, 2014, 1:01 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Looks very nice for a HP. The breakfast is definitely was beyond the US offering. Thanks to the OP for posting the review.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 9:44 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier Gold
I stayed here over Easter weekend for two nights for sightseeing. Although it's not the most convenient, I gave it a try to complete a status match challenge, and the rate was helpful at 129 euro/night.

The hotel is very nice (no surprise there, since it's new) and the breakfast is plentiful, diverse, and tasty. Ample space for seating even in a busy weekend. The airport shuttle takes 10 minutes each way and departs every half an hour from the airport and from the hotel (:00 and :30 from the hotel, :15 and :45 from the airport).

The only issue I experienced was that the shuttle was at full capacity at the beginning and the end of the day, having to leave some people waiting for the next trip over. The driver said that over this Easter weekend it was the first time that the hotel was at full capacity, and that in his opinion things would be fine with a slightly larger shuttle (capacity was 16, IIRC). I had forgotten to bring an international power adapter, and while the hotel had them they were all loaned out; I was only able to get one on my second night.

Overall a very nice, comfortable, and affordable option if you don't mind the dependence on the shuttle.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB

Here on a 2 night stay and agree with the rather positive feedback. Got a good EUR 95 rate. I'd always choose a brand new 3/4* over an old 5*.

Indeed th city is far though, however I walked 10 minutes to Den Burgh Restaurant which is very nice.

Overall recommended
Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does anyone know the hours of breakfast?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:15 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

In my recollection it was 6:30-9:30, but I'm not 100% sure....
Old Nov 1, 2014, 1:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Stayed here for a few days as convenient to where I was working on business. Front desk staff very friendly and helpful. Standard room so no bath but OK as was only really sleeping there. Comfortable bed and very quiet so no complaints.

Breakfast was OK but stuck to OJ and yoghurt. Restaurant is a different story - the service is absolutely dreadful and the quality of the food is awful. My colleague and I were seated but eventually I got up to find someone to get us menus. Couldn't find anyone so took some from the staff stationery simple dinner but after 45 minutes no sign of any food. Plenty of other people had sat down after us and had food. Found the manager and asked how long they cooked medium rare steak for! After another 10 minutes our food arrived. Wasn't worth the wait.

Couldn't find anyone to give me the bill so went to the front desk who sent someone over. Paid the bill and went outside to find my wife to find myself tackled by the restaurant manager for not paying my bill. Really?!

Went to the bar for a glass of wine and asked for a glass of cab sauv. Was surprised to see the barman look in the fridge until someone corrected. He then got a glass and filled it with the dregs of 3 or 4 bottles - classy!

Nice hotel but the food and beverage staff needs improving as does the quality of the food.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I just got back too. Food was ok, no real complaints from my side but it does get really busy. Note that the shuttle pickup spot is to the right (if facing the street from where the other shuttles pickup) about 150m.

Staff is super friendly, hotel isn't too far and not a bad place. Rates really decent too considering it was AMS.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:11 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
The shuttle is from the STA desk at Arrivals 4 opposite Starbucks. It was a very long walk from where we came in - about a 10 minutes brisk walk.

The shuttle leaves the hotel on the hour and at 30 minutes past. From the airport it's at 15 and 45 minutes past the hour. The ride is about 10 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.