FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Elite Member Check in Rant (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1551031-elite-member-check-rant.html)

zxsuxr Feb 11, 2014 10:31 pm

Elite Member Check in Rant

We have all seen that fancy glass placard indicating Diamond & Platinum guests check in HERE. I see no point of an Elite check in counter if it's not being used as such. At most hotels there is 1 queue and the person working the elite side always waives their hand and says "next guest please". The times you can queue in front of the desk, never have I been asked my status before receiving assistance. I now resort to web check in and the kiosk to avoid the line. it would be nice if they honored the elite benefit: "Expedite check-in at a dedicated area for elite members". All the major Vegas hotels can manage their elite check in, why can't Hyatt?

Mary2e Feb 12, 2014 6:59 am

Just stand there... someone will come over. Or if they don't, ask another employee if the elite line is being manned.

I haven't had an issue once someone sees that I'm there.

antinseattle Feb 12, 2014 7:27 am

I agree with OP on his rant :)

I've stood there, like Mary suggests, for a long time, and been ignored.

Tummy Feb 12, 2014 7:51 am

Several years ago, I was waiting in the short regular line, only one person in front of me. A lady came up and walked right past us and said that she was a Platinum, waiving her card around. So I just walked in front of her, waived my Diamond card in her face and said for her to get in her place behind me then. She got all huffy.

Sadly I have no more hotel status, after nearly 10 years as Diamond, and can no longer put people in their place.

Mary2e Feb 12, 2014 8:57 am

Originally Posted by antinseattle (Post 22334660)
I agree with OP on his rant :)

I've stood there, like Mary suggests, for a long time, and been ignored.

If it happens again, simply say to the first clerk that you see "Excuse me, but is someone manning the elite check in line?" That has always gotten results for me. I may have to wait a minute until someone frees up, but I'm always next.

ldsant Feb 12, 2014 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e (Post 22335268)
If it happens again, simply say to the first clerk that you see "Excuse me, but is someone manning the elite check in line?" That has always gotten results for me. I may have to wait a minute until someone frees up, but I'm always next.

^ This is exactly what I do or I just wait my turn in line.

laxsnaogg Feb 13, 2014 9:34 am

Originally Posted by zxsuxr (Post 22333090)
We have all seen that fancy glass placard indicating Diamond & Platinum guests check in HERE. I see no point of an Elite check in counter if it's not being used as such. At most hotels there is 1 queue and the person working the elite side always waives their hand and says "next guest please". The times you can queue in front of the desk, never have I been asked my status before receiving assistance. I now resort to web check in and the kiosk to avoid the line. it would be nice if they honored the elite benefit: "Expedite check-in at a dedicated area for elite members". All the major Vegas hotels can manage their elite check in, why can't Hyatt?

Similar to Mary2e, I've simply become accustomed to having to stand at the unmanned station, and wait for someone to come over. It usually takes a few minutes, but is usually shorter than waiting in the regular line. That said, it annoys me as well.

Now that you have me joining your ranting:D, another annoyance is places such as the Palm Springs Hyatt, where they place the placard right in between the two check in stations (and of course, only 1 station is actually manned), so you literally have no choice but to wait in the single line...:td:

jabbered Feb 13, 2014 1:06 pm

I've never had any type of high tier status at any chain. I've never worked in a property that has a separate elite check-in line.

I would do as some and stand in the line and then ask the clerk if someone was manning that line.

I'm sure most properties that have the lines are elite heavy. Do some people think the lines should be manned at all times? What happens on the day there are 50 non-elites checking in vs. 3 elites. Should the line be staffed at all?

wharvey Feb 13, 2014 1:11 pm

In my opinion, yes. If there are no elites in line, the agent can help the next person in the non-elite line.

Programs advertise the benefit; they need to provide it.

Originally Posted by jabbered (Post 22343334)

I'm sure most properties that have the lines are elite heavy. Do some people think the lines should be manned at all times? What happens on the day there are 50 non-elites checking in vs. 3 elites. Should the line be staffed at all?

hailstorm Feb 13, 2014 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by zxsuxr (Post 22333090)

If you are Diamond, just ask someone to direct you to the lounge to check in.

zxsuxr Feb 13, 2014 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 22344226)
If you are Diamond, just ask someone to direct you to the lounge to check in.

Sure, however some hotels dont have a lounge, while others require card access to reach that floor.

Mary2e Feb 13, 2014 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by jabbered (Post 22343334)

I don't think they should be manned at all times. However, before the clerk calls "next" he should glance over to the elite line and see if anyone is waiting.

hailstorm Feb 13, 2014 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by zxsuxr (Post 22345100)
....while others require card access to reach that floor.

That's why I said ask someone to direct you to the lounge to check in.

SKYEG Feb 13, 2014 7:26 pm

This annoys me quite a bit when they don't care about the line... I just feel too embarrassed to cut in front of everyone and ask them to move me up so I end up just waiting. I shouldn't have to feel this way and they should utilize the line. It is the best feeling when they actually have it manned though, saves so much time. Not a big fan of being called out saying I am a line cutter and getting glared at.

laxsnaogg Feb 14, 2014 8:20 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 22345204)
That's why I said ask someone to direct you to the lounge to check in.

Those with an access card to get you to the lounge (assuming there is a lounge) are likely to be the same folks behind the counter that could simply shift over to the elite station to check you in (which again, we shouldn't have to bypass other guests in line, and get the evil eye to ask).

Also, for those that have been to the Grand Hyatt Kauai, the walk from the lobby to the RC is not exactly a short one. Personally, I could use the exercise, but that doesn't exactly feel like an elite benefit...

"In addition to 4 suite upgrades per year, Hyatt also offers elite check in. Enter any one of our lobbies, try to find an employee, and ask them to take you to the club. Terms and conditions state that we may not even have a club, and it might be a long walk, but as a valued Diamond member, we simply ask you to leave your bags and family in the lobby, check in at the club, and then walk back. Upon your return, the non elite guests will likely be checked in and sipping mai tais by the pool, in which case we may credit you 1,000 HGP points (at our discretion, of course)".:D

Not directing this post at hailstorm; I just appreciate the OP's rant as most Hyatts which I have visited need to improve in this area, and its a very easy fix. It's a stated benefit, either man the station, or train your desk agents to keep an eye out and slide over quickly (or try this whacky idea, make eye contact with your guests and say 'I'll be with you in a moment, thank you for your patience'.