Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hey Lurker, I'm Allergic and This is a Serious Question

Old Feb 7, 2014, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant

Since this got no response as a tack-on post, maybe I need to be more obvious--

What did weird me out was how heavily they promoted the hotel as "pet friendly". I'd like to love your dog too but he makes me break out and itch. Not to mention they poop on the carpet.

When we asked what that meant they insisted their hotel was nothing unusual, and further that Hyatt corporate had made all hotels drop designated dog rooms and just book Bowser and you into whatever room is available. They charge a set and mandatory $75 and do a deep clean after every dog leaves. They were not completely happy about it, but mostly because Hyatt had "made" hotels drop the dog fee from $150 to $75 chain wide, and that was not really enough to pay for all the extra cleaning.

Would the lurker care to comment on official Hyatt policy for those of us who are allergic to dogs?
So just what is the pet policy as directed by Hyatt corporate? I break out from wearing a new wool sweater before its been to the cleaners once. So am I supposed to ask for one of the limited "Nothing But People" rooms, or is this all a line from one franchise?

Last edited by jayer; Feb 7, 2014 at 6:21 pm
Old Feb 7, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
they're going to spray some chemicals in the room to mask the odor like a smoker... I doubt much more. They're certainly not going to bring out the air cleaners like they do in some hepa rooms.

Also, I'm not a huge dog advocate unlike some others Im sure on board... but most dogs don't take a deuce on the floor. Frankly, Id be more worried about skid marks from baby diaper leakage.

Anyhoo, Id ask for a hepa/"Pure" room.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
There are far more hotel usage issues you should be concerned about than a dog... if this freaks you out perhaps you should not stay at any hotel..

I'm sure you would be freaked out on all the stains on the floor that ARE NOT CLEAN UP AFTER EACH HOTEL STAY!

Originally Posted by jayer
Since this got no response as a tack-on post, maybe I need to be more obvious--

So just what is the pet policy as directed by Hyatt corporate? I break out from wearing a new wool sweater before its been to the cleaners once. So am I supposed to ask for one of the limited "Nothing But People" rooms, or is this all a line from one franchise?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 3:39 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Let's agree that some people have strong allergies. Let's also agree that Hyatt offers hypo-allergenic rooms. It seems to me that Hyatt is addressing this market segment. I just don't understand what else you want them to do.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 9:28 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
Let's agree that some people have strong allergies. Let's also agree that Hyatt offers hypo-allergenic rooms. It seems to me that Hyatt is addressing this market segment. I just don't understand what else you want them to do.
I guess Hyatt could give the OP a Zyrtec

I agree with others - if you are allergic you can ask for a HEPA room, you can believe that the room was actually cleaned after the dog left, or you can stay elsewhere. Not sure why this is a Hyatt issue? Many hotels are very pet-friendly e.g., Kimpton. People have integrated their pets into the travelling big time.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
Indeed. Hyatt Corp. likely considered the benefits (both financial and marketing) of promoting a "pet friendly" hotel chain - and determined that the benefits of welcoming guests accompanied by their four footed friends outweighs the losses associated with a guest who suffers from pet allergies and may choose to stay elsewhere.

As for the issue of "pooping on the floor/germs: multiple studies confirm that the two dirtiest/germ infested places in a hotel room: the TV remote control and the telephone (though the latter is falling further down the list b/c of cell phone usage).
Old Feb 9, 2014, 9:40 am

This seems to have turned hostile to the OP rather rapidly. He specifically asked if, by Hyatt policy, he would have to request a special people only room. I am in a similar, if somewhat more difficult position, as I have sufficient allergies to dogs that I have trouble breathing after spending the night in a "pet-friendly" room (or a smoking room, for that matter). It seems to me that just like smoking/non-smoking rooms, there should be a relatively small number of rooms set aside for those that travel with pets, instead of a relatively small number for those that travel without pets, even if most of those would not have a problem with rooms that have had pets in them (or smokers in them). For the poster who advised that Kimpton is very pet friendly, thank you, I was looking at booking a Kimpton for an upcoming European trip, but will cross them off my list.
Just as an added note, we own a vacation home management company, and actively, strongly discourage the owners we work with from allowing pets. Pets, dogs in particular, do a lot of damage (both actual damage and increased wear and tear) and are virtually impossible to truly clean up after to the point that someone with asthma or allergies would be able to stay there. The few times that owners have allowed pets or brought their own pets to their houses (or people have sneaked dogs in), well over half the time we have had to clean urine stains out of either furniture or carpets. A well behaved and trained dog at home will often be less well behaved and well trained when in a new environment or situation.

Last edited by farnorthtrader; Feb 9, 2014 at 9:46 am
Old Feb 9, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
A Pet Friendly Hotel Should designate Rooms that have never been previously occupied by someone with a Pet of any kind and I would go as far as saying that Pet friendly hotels should only allow pet on designated floors.
I always request a Non Smoking Room on a Non Smoking Floor as I know some Hyatts have non smoking rooms on smoking floors.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 1:12 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I'm not sure Hyatt has a corporate wide policy for pets. Years ago, I remember the HR Century Plaza marketing itself as pet friendly (at least dogs). Recently, I've checked into the pet policy at a couple of Hyatt properties nearby since we got a cat in the last year. What I've found out is that pets are not not allowed at these properties unless they were service animals. Service animals are allowed by ADA regulations and probably in any category. So the point being that it would be tough for a property to guarantee that there has never been an animal in a room without risk of running afoul of ADA.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by suite2suite
A Pet Friendly Hotel Should designate Rooms that have never been previously occupied by someone with a Pet of any kind and I would go as far as saying that Pet friendly hotels should only allow pet on designated floors.
I always request a Non Smoking Room on a Non Smoking Floor as I know some Hyatts have non smoking rooms on smoking floors.

I don't know that any hotel could or should guarantee or designate that any room had at all times been smoke or pet free.

Lots of people like to break the rules. Housekeeping may not be able to tell if a pet had been in the room if kept crated or was low shedding.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny
I'm not sure Hyatt has a corporate wide policy for pets. Years ago, I remember the HR Century Plaza marketing itself as pet friendly (at least dogs). Recently, I've checked into the pet policy at a couple of Hyatt properties nearby since we got a cat in the last year. What I've found out is that pets are not not allowed at these properties unless they were service animals. Service animals are allowed by ADA regulations and probably in any category. So the point being that it would be tough for a property to guarantee that there has never been an animal in a room without risk of running afoul of ADA.
Good point and that's why we have ADA rooms.
The allergies people have with regard to pets should be taken just as seriously by the hotels that have chosen to allow pets on the premises.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by jabbered
I don't know that any hotel could or should guarantee or designate that any room had at all times been smoke or pet free.

Lots of people like to break the rules. Housekeeping may not be able to tell if a pet had been in the room if kept crated or was low shedding.
Yes lots of people break the rules but the hotel has a responsibility to enforce its own rules.

In my experience, Housekeeping is the main culprit of not reporting the scent of smoke in a room they service and some of them have admitted to me their unwillingness to report it to security or the front office.

There are $250-$300 fines for smoking in the room in the U.S. but hotel management feels uneasy about charging the guest. They give a warning or say the guest has already checked out.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by peteropny
I'm not sure Hyatt has a corporate wide policy for pets.
There's info on pet friendly properties on the hyatt website, the outlines the amenities fido or fifi will receive when staying at a 'participating' hyatt, HR, Andaz, and GH.

Cats are seemingly only welcome at participating Hyatt House locations.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 7:33 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by suite2suite
Good point and that's why we have ADA rooms.
The allergies people have with regard to pets should be taken just as seriously by the hotels that have chosen to allow pets on the premises.
But im sure there are people who say that the property is not in compliance with ADA rules if they are not permitted in a suite with an assistance animal.

Originally Posted by bdemaria
There's info on pet friendly properties on the hyatt website, the outlines the amenities fido or fifi will receive when staying at a 'participating' hyatt, HR, Andaz, and GH.

Cats are seemingly only welcome at participating Hyatt House locations.
That's a helpful listing.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I was in the Newport, RI property over the weekend and I heard a dog barking as I got to my floor.

Doesn't bother me, however, this dog barked every time someone got off the elevator. I did not hear it from inside my room do to it's configuration, but my friends in the room next door said it woke them up a few times.

IF you're going to bring a dog, make sure it doesn't bark when someone walks past your room

But, I was surprised this hotel was pet friendlly. Usually it says so on the website and I don't recall seeing it. (it could be me )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.