Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place - Santa Cruz, CA REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Place - Santa Cruz, CA REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by coffee18
I'm not familiar with this area, but I would like to do a drive from SFO-LAX along the coast-- assuming the hotel is decent should I avoid this area for the concerns stated above? Or would that be an overblown response for a 1 night stay?
No I wouldn't avoid for those reasons, just note that the area can be a bit sleazy and parking overnight on the street could be risky.

There are also lots of options as you get down towards Monterey, including a very good HGI.

But note that it's not currently possible to drive the coast, as the Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge is collapsing and will have to be replaced. Highway 1 Closures, Bridge Collapse Taking a Toll on Tourism.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
No I wouldn't avoid for those reasons, just note that the area can be a bit sleazy and parking overnight on the street could be risky.

There are also lots of options as you get down towards Monterey, including a very good HGI.

But note that it's not currently possible to drive the coast, as the Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge is collapsing and will have to be replaced. Highway 1 Closures, Bridge Collapse Taking a Toll on Tourism.
For visitors who are unfamiliar with the central coast, there are two ways to traverse the coast. There is the Highway 1 route through Big Sur as Kacee noted, which is now blocked.

You can also take 101. That is inland most of the way, but hits the coast at various points. It's a very nice drive, just not spectacular like Highway 1. In or near urban areas, 101 can and will hit some traffic jams.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JackE
You can also take 101. That is inland most of the way, but hits the coast at various points. It's a very nice drive, just not spectacular like Highway 1.
Just don't speed through King City
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:52 pm

Thank you so much for the guidance. As we don't plan on going out there until November, I'll stick to the plan for now and will keep an eye on the bridge situation.

I don't think I'm too concerned about the hotel's area. I would think commonsense precautions anyone should do anywhere would suffice.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
FYI - just confirmed at their phone number (831) 226-2300 they will be open on time (9-1 stays and later). Am hoping they have hot water, and food service isn't too much of a circus as I will be staying Sat-Mon. This HP does have a 500 sq. ft. Suite with 1king bed.

Last edited by jumpdogjump; Aug 30, 2017 at 7:51 pm
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
FYI - just confirmed at their phone number (831) 226-2300 they will be open on time (9-1 stays and later). Am hoping they have hot water, and food service isn't too much of a circus as I will be staying Sat-Mon. This HP does have a 500 sq. ft. Suite with 1king bed.
How was your stay???
Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
Do you mean "a" as a room type, or "a" as in just one?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by JackE
Do you mean "a" as a room type, or "a" as in just one?
They have 1 king suite out of 106 rooms.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:39 pm

Had a great stay over the weekend. Here are the highlights:

Lobby seems a bit larger than most HP's I've been to, inside the double sliding glass door entryway is a large picture of a wave above a fireplace (tube view). To the left are 3 Bing Longboards on the wall. My kind of place.

Understand the day we arrived it was 100+ degrees outside (really unusual), but the valet was friendly. Valet is $15 including tax/night. Underground parking has 16 2-level car lifts which were required for the hotel to receive building approval. Good luck finding free neighborhood parking. Someone mentioned there might be some available but not close by.

Check in was a short wait with 3 manned check-in terminals. The sales mgr. checked us in. She recognized my Explorist status and said "I see you're staying on points and I know those are hard to earn." Received 2 coupons for bottled water.

Booked a 2 Queen room (400 sq.ft.), and was given the option of floor (chose 3). it seemed larger than the suites available at the HIX or Hampton Inn further up Ocean Ave. It was across from the Elevator hall/icemaker, but we never heard any noise from them.

Everything in the room worked! The very low flow showerhead was disappointing for the wife, and the Amana thermostat couldn't be lowered below 72 degrees (there's a youtube workaround that I didn't try). We left the AC fan on all night.

In spite of the average room occupancy on Labor Day Weekend consisting of 2 parents with 2-4 kids (eek!) the staff kept up with the breakfast insanity fairly well. Definitely one of the better HP breakfasts as far as quality goes.

Staff was very friendly, and responded quickly to bring more towels to the pool or room.

Pool is heated and goes from 3' to 4 1/2' deep. Hot tub wasn't too hot for kids to enjoy (darn). There's also a rinse-off shower by the pool. Fitness room had hand weights, 2 treadmills, 1 elliptical and a multi-machine.

There's a 7-11 almost across the street, and if you want to walk to downtown (Pacific Ave. is less than 15 minutes away by foot), it's better to walk up Ocean 1 block to Soquel and turn left to go across the bridge.

Neighborhood to the south of the hotel is questionable, definitely wouldn't walk it at night.
Maui4me1 and JackE like this.

Last edited by jumpdogjump; Sep 5, 2017 at 8:27 pm Reason: Typo
Old Sep 5, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Thanks for the great review
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum (LTG), Hilton Gold, United 1K, AA EXP, AS MVP 75K
Nice Hyatt option in the area

We stayed at the Hyatt Place Santa Cruz this past weekend. The location is "ok" about a mile from the boardwalk and within 15 min walking distance to some restaurants.

I arrived a bit early at 1 pm and noticed a couple of other parties still waiting for their room to be prepped. As a Globalist, my keycard was waiting for me despite not using mobile check-in which was a relief with 2 litttle kids in tow. We were also given 2 vouchers for bottled water.

We were able to find street parking across from the hotel (less available in the evening), but were informed at check-in that we should just valet since the fee would be removed as a Globalist staying on an award booking (great perk that I finally utilized). The call down to the valet was promptly answered and our car was out front within 10 min.

The room is the standard HP layout, but much fresher since it is a fairly new build. The internet speed was sufficient, about 2-3 down, 1-2 up. We didn't use any of the gym or pool facilities so I cannot comment on those but the pool area looked nice enough. Breakfast was as expected with eggs, sausage, waffles, an assortment of breads / cereals and mixed fruit.

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to stay in here again if in the area, especially on points (cat 2) on the weekend when the rates are quite high.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
2-3 down. Wow. For the Bay Area that's abysmal.
Old May 22, 2018, 4:49 pm

Bad News? now a cat 4. But there is space on points for this Mem. Day weekend (sat/sun nights)
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Stayed here with family recently. Rooms were generic but fine as was breakfast. The mandatory parking fee rankles since it was never disclosed prior to booking despite the hotel's insistence it's delivered on confirmation emails (as in, after I purchase, even so I never noticed it). Additionally they charged both rooms for a car. And one of the cc holds hit my cc as a purchase. Both car charges were removed and the charge reversed, though I'm still waiting for the latter to hit.

After waiting 10 minutes for my car to be taken into the garage and another 10 to be retrieved on afternoon #1 I subsequently parked on the street each time without fanfare or problem. The area has a bit of grit but never struck me as dangerous or otherwise overwhelmingly sketchy. Perhaps it's been cleaned up vs some of the upthread comments.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
The mandatory parking fee rankles since it was never disclosed prior to booking despite the hotel's insistence it's delivered on confirmation emails (as in, after I purchase, even so I never noticed it). Additionally they charged both rooms for a car. And one of the cc holds hit my cc as a purchase. Both car charges were removed and the charge reversed, though I'm still waiting for the latter to hit.
What does "mandatory parking fee" mean? Is that simply the price of parking, or do you have to pay it with or without a car, or ???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.