Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Post-Devaluation: Which property in Paris?

Old Jan 9, 14, 2:32 am
aku
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Marr/SPG LT Plat, HH Gold, IC Amb, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5*, BW LT Diam

I've read the reviews of Hyatt properties in Paris, and the general feeling I get is that the PHV is the only one people consistently like. The Hyatt Madeleine and Hotel du Louvre have some nice rooms at the higher end, but the basic rooms can be horrible. And nobody is very happy with the HR Paris Etoile (though I used to stay there [Concorde Lafayette] quite a lot twenty years ago). Until this week, the PHV, Madeleine, and HdL were all quite close in points needed for award stays, and the smart move was to stay at the PHV if at all possible. Now, of course, these four hotels are Categories 7, 6, 5, and 4 respectively.

I'm looking at a five-night award stay in April and see the following per-night costs for award stays:

Etoile: 15,000 pts OR 7,500 pts + $100
HdL: 20,000 pts OR 10,000 pts + $125
Madeleine: 25,000 pts OR 12,500 pts + $150
PHV: 30,000 pts OR 15,000 pts + $300

We're priced out of the PHV now (even with C&P, because of that dismal last number), so I'm hoping one of the other properties will be good enough if booked with Cash&Points and a nice room upgrade.

So here are the questions - for any of the properties that are not the PHV:
  • Have you had success booking rooms with Cash&Points?
  • What kind of a free upgrade can a Diamond expect during high season (which I imagine April to be)?
  • Does the hotel accept Diamond suite upgrades, and if so, what kind of suite would the Diamond get?
Old Jan 9, 14, 2:36 am

I would go with the Madelene, but you cannot use suite upgrades there. You will get an upgraded room if available at check-in.
Old Jan 9, 14, 9:20 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, United 1K
I can only speak to Etoile as that's the only property I've stayed at besides PHV, as recently as over Xmas.

It's not up to Hyatt standards yet but I can tell they're trying hard. As a diamond you would be automatically given a club room, which is on higher floors (30-33) but not yet renovated. The pre-reno'd rooms are indeed hideous (I spent one night in one and was not impressed). The "deluxe rooms", technically one class lower than club rooms, have been renovated and are actually really nice - they are on lower floors but you still get a great view if you get placed on the side with views of the Eiffel and Arc (I was on the 7th floor and it was still pretty spectacular).

Can't comment on cash and points - I paid for my stay as the rate was pretty reasonable @ 130 Euro a night. Not sure if it's worth using your points.

You'd get club access but the club is small and there's usually a line up for breakfast - however they will allow you to eat at the breakfast "atrium" (sometimes a lineup too) or have continental breakfast delivered to your room (no hot items in this case).
Old Jan 9, 14, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
If the 50% increase in points per night is still valid for a suite redemption, a suite at the Regency Etoile is currently your best bet in Paris.

Assuming that you like to stay over Easter, I would expect a big conference hotel to be rather empty though and rates have indeed dropped to very low levels for a Hyatt Regency in such a convenient location in downtown Paris, so not wasting points due to relatively poor ratio might also be an option.

Basic rooms at Mad and DL are small, basic rooms at PHV have charme (and are small) , upgrades are hard to come by even for Diamond members during certain periods.

In general, while checking rates earlier this week, I came across an Aeroville Weekend rate at the Regency CDG.

IIRC, it included parking, internet, breakfast, a very late check out and dinner for an upcharge of 30 Euro on top of the Daily Rate and more like Euro 50 on the elite rate.

Getting to different parts of town is also possible depending on your train, bus or other transfer option from the airport, so it is not a waste of time per se depending on where you want to go.
Old Jan 9, 14, 11:02 am

I'm interested in this topic too.

From a purely tourist point of view, meaning doing all the "usual" first time visitor stuff and balancing location vs points:
4 nights in suite at etoile for 96k points vs 4 nights at louvre for 80k?

I'm only platinum so as I understand it the suite gives me breakfast but I am on my own at louvre.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Old Jan 9, 14, 7:50 pm

Also interested in this as PHV standard room is not available for my dates.

I'm thinking of doing a Diamond challenge during the Paris stay and wondering if I'll be able to use the diamond suite upgrade for Louvre on C&P. Just read that Madelene doesn't accept the suite upgrade, but how about Louvre?
Old Jan 10, 14, 10:29 am
aku
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Marr/SPG LT Plat, HH Gold, IC Amb, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5*, BW LT Diam
Thanks for the feeback! I'm in the same situation as heta: looking to do a Diamond challenge and use a DSU (hence the C&P rather than straight points). With Madeleine upgrade a non-starter, I'm also hoping someone can share experience using a DSU at Hotel du Louvre.

We're in Paris partly for business (won't be there for Easter) and want to stay in town, so CDG is off the table. It's interesting to hear that Etoile has some thumbs up; I'll check out the suites.
Old Jan 11, 14, 4:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by aku View Post
Thanks for the feeback! I'm in the same situation as heta: looking to do a Diamond challenge and use a DSU (hence the C&P rather than straight points). With Madeleine upgrade a non-starter, I'm also hoping someone can share experience using a DSU at Hotel du Louvre.

We're in Paris partly for business (won't be there for Easter) and want to stay in town, so CDG is off the table. It's interesting to hear that Etoile has some thumbs up; I'll check out the suites.
A suite at Etoile is especially recommended for non-Diamond members, mostly because they get club priveledges and space, which is not necessarily a given in the other downtown properties without any upgrade. The hotel itself is past its prime as a 4 star Concorde Lafayette and by far the worst Hyatt Regency in Europe, but a lot of space and a decent club lounge for 22.5k is not too shabby

Du Louvre is scheduled for major renovations, so it is very difficult to predict how they will do in the next couple of months.
Old Feb 14, 14, 2:40 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS Gold75k, WN CP, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by aku View Post

This is a bit late- but I just booked a C&P booking at Hotel du Louvre over the phone and successfully applied a DSU. However, when I booked over the phone, I was told it was an executive suite, but when I check online, it says it is a suite king...
Old Apr 12, 14, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA - ExPlat, UA - Plat 2MM, HY - Explorist, SPG - Lifetime Gold, HH - Diamond
Anyone have recommendations for a party of 3, pref using C&P? I currently have a room booked at HDL, C&P+DSU, but originally booked for 2 and now have another joining. Not sure whether 3 is "legal" for the suites at HDL, but willing to pay an extra charge for the 3rd party if we can get 2 beds or rollaway. Any other ideas? Open to booking a second room if absolutely necessary, but would prefer to share the costs of one.

If 2 rooms, better off at Mad? Haven't checked availability but it's high season (5 nts beginning of July).

Search this Thread