Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Best in Shanghai for Plat GP on Points?

Old Jan 6, 14, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA*G MM, HH Dia, Hyatt Expl, MR Gold, IHG Plat

This would be just for one night, having never visited Shanghai before. At the HOB or GH, I'd redeem for a Club room. Keep in mind I'm a lowly Platinum redeeming points.

Important considerations are high floor, view from room (being able to specify the more scenic side), neighborhood walkability and interest, transport links. A club lounge is an important consideration although it could possibly be outweighed by other factors.

Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 14, 5:07 pm

I think you can't go wrong with either Grand Hyatt or Park Hyatt.

I recommend Park Hyatt if you want an experience. The hotel is very tastefully designed, and it sits on top of one of the highest vantage points in Shanghai. Because of its height, there is no bad view in that hotel. The downside is that it does not have a lounge or club rooms. It is also a bit far from the metro (about 10 minutes walk).

The GH is also a fine choice. You can redeem for a club room there if that is important to you. It is slightly closer to the metro.

Both PH and GH are in the business district and not really located in the good tourist
neighborhood. However, since you are only there for one night, I suggest taking a taxi out to the Puxi side and spend your time there. For a one-night stay, you don't really need to be going in-and-out of the hotels often enough to need a good neighborhood.
Old Jan 6, 14, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by ckpeter View Post
.. Because of its height, there is no bad view in that hotel. ...
because of smog/haze there is rather limited view anywhere in shanghai

add an hour each way to get to and from PVG - how are your arrival/departure times? I would probably try to book smth most practical for 1 nt connection...
Old Jan 6, 14, 6:08 pm

In my opinion, getting a room at the PH or GH is a bit of hit-and-miss. If you do not specifically book a Bund View room, then all you may get is a high-floor room with a view of Pudong area; not the best view anyway, IMO. And, even if you did book a Bund View room, there is no guarantee that you would see much anyway, if that day is hazy or foggy.

If the OP is wanting a room with a view, then almost any room at the HOTB would guarantee a good view of the Pudong area as well as a "side view" along the Bund. That is a pretty sight.
Old Jan 6, 14, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
because of smog/haze there is rather limited view anywhere in shanghai

add an hour each way to get to and from PVG - how are your arrival/departure times? I would probably try to book smth most practical for 1 nt connection...
True. However, because the Park Hyatt is so high up, even when its smoggy, it can still get a cool above-the-cloud view. It's a consolation of sort.
Old Jan 6, 14, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Alaska MVP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
I recently stayed at the Andaz Shanghai and I really l liked it. No lounge, but free snacks and non alcoholic bev in your room. Also had wine happy hour free in the lobby. Restaurants and bars are literally right out the door.
Old Jan 8, 14, 3:19 pm

Programs: Lifetime titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Is the GH walking distance to the PH? I looked at the map but not tell if there is a highway between the 2 buildings. Thinking of switching hotel during my stay to get a taste of both hotels.
Old Jan 8, 14, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic View Post
Is the GH walking distance to the PH? I looked at the map but not tell if there is a highway between the 2 buildings. Thinking of switching hotel during my stay to get a taste of both hotels.
They are across the street from each other, and the street is not a highway...just a normal city street. Three minutes' walk door-to-door.
Old Jan 8, 14, 9:35 pm

Programs: United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Exec Platinum
My suggestion would be the Andaz. The area in my opinion is more lively. Especially on a weekend. My 2nd choice would be the Park, 3rd Bund, 4th Grand. I have stayed at all and it is very hard to get a taxi in Pudong at night. Xintiandi is great to walk around and there is a ton of restaurants and shopping. You are also closer to Nan Xing Rd. Just my $.02
Old Jan 10, 14, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA*G MM, HH Dia, Hyatt Expl, MR Gold, IHG Plat
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think the Andaz would make the most sense, despite the lack of a lounge and significant view. But I decided to leverage my last few months of Hilton Diamond status to book the Waldorf Shanghai on the Bund, on points, given the excellent success rate reported for river view suite upgrades plus the atmosphere and location of the place.

Too many great options! Now to cancel my GH reservation...
Old Jan 10, 14, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Explore View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think the Andaz would make the most sense, despite the lack of a lounge and significant view. But I decided to leverage my last few months of Hilton Diamond status to book the Waldorf Shanghai on the Bund, on points, given the excellent success rate reported for river view suite upgrades plus the atmosphere and location of the place.

Too many great options! Now to cancel my GH reservation...
Although the Andaz Shanghai lacks a proper Lounge per se, you could sit in the Andaz Lounge in the lobby, which is like a big living room. Whenever I stay at the hotel and use the Lounge, I have never been charged for non-alcoholic drinks (not sure about alcoholic drinks, since I have never ordered because I do not drink). You might want to double-check if this benefit is for all guests or only for elite GP members (I am Diamond).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: