Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Peninsula Papagayo (Costa Rica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ehallison
(2022 RENOVATIONS) Major reductions in service and facilities August 1 to October 31 2022 The Andaz Peninsula Papagayo will undergo renovations August 1, 2022 through October 31, 2022. The renovations will take place daily from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

The hotel will renovate the Ostra restaurant, however, Rio Bhongo, Chao Pescao and the Beach House will be available for dining.

The hotel will expand the fitness center and upgrade the spa’s reception area. The fitness center will operate at an alternate location and spa services will be offered at that location. The adults-only pool will not be available during renovations. All guests will use the main pool area.

Overview of hotel, restaurants, menus, activities, pretty much everything you need to know: (Link)

Buildings 1, 2, 3 ,4 on higher level and will have steps or you can call for a shuttle
Buildings 5, 6, 7 will be at pool/restaurant level

Property Map (click here)

Parking: valet and self parking included in 10% resort fee

Free shuttle: was until 6pm, now extended to 10pm. Please check for the specifics. Shuttle from 6pm has a charge of $25 USD to Four Season. (2/18 - sign only spoke of shuttle to 6pm)

Vaccination:
Hepatits A and Typhoid vaccine before travel.
Mosquito repellent, especially at night and during rainy season due to Dengue fever.

Complimentary poolside and beachside sunscreen and ice water with citrus in it

Complimentary in the rooms- Sun hats and flip flops, as well as a modest minibar including chips and nuts

If you plan to drive:
1. Strongly recommend GPS, or iPhone app
2. About 30-35minutes from airport
3. 20-25 minutes from hotel to major road (route 21)
4. Road is 2 lane paved road
5. There are no shoulders, just ditches (for rain to drain)
6. Roads in small towns may be unpaved.
7. Roads are not lit. Scariest part about driving at night is not getting lost, but pedestrians walking or a cyclist right on the edge of the road.
8. Another guest at Andaz turned over a car on the first day out with a rental…and this is during the dry season!! (I have no idea how this is possible, unless the driver was incompetent. I rented a car and drove my family several times into town. No problems. Was considering not doing so based on the above sentence. if you have common sense, you will be fine.- Bikeguy)
9. Consider rent from hotel a couple of days instead of getting rental for your entire trip : $90 smaller car, $120 Toyota RAV, $190 Toyota Prado seats 7

Worthwhile activities:
1. At hotel: complimentary kayak, snorkels, paddle board
2. Golf at Four Seasons
3. Witch’s Rock: very close to hotel. Canopy (zipline- $75 pp), horseback riding, quad rental
4. Palo Verde:
• Boat tours are worthwhile
• Chose one that has sun protections or bring an umbrella for sun protection
• Best approach from the south end (eg Palo Verde Boat Tour in Ortega) since it is only an hour away from hotel (vs 2hours from the north entrance.) Stop by Guaitil and pick up some famous Chorotega pottery for souvenir/gifts.
• If approaching it from the north side, stop at nearby Llanos de Cortez waterfall for a dip.
• For bird lovers, consider a Palo Verde boat tour that includes Isla Parajos that can be seen with a tour from Puerto Humo (2 hours from the hotel)
5. Rincon de Vieja
6. Fishing, surfing in Tamarindo

Nearby dining:
At hotel:
• Rio Bhongo: great breakfast (especially for diamonds), recommend casado for lunch. Diamond can also get room service breakfast instead of at restaurant.
• Chao Pescao: recommend chicken arepas, apple cake (apple pie with crčme brulee like custard and vanilla ice cream)
• Ostra
Four Seasons
Dive Bar
• at Marina
• A value for happy hour and Tuesday tacos and other specials, otherwise food were similarly priced as at the hotel and not as good.

Cambi:
• 8-5 free childcare, but with a 1 hour break at noon (so you can't do a full day trip while leaving the kids in Cambi). There is a charge for some activities
• Evening:
a. 6-10pm: $50 with meals served
b. Up to 3 hrs: $40 with meals served.

Miscellaneous:
• There is a supermarket right as you enter “larger” cities like Liberia, Playa de Coco, Santa Cruz. See if guide will make a stop if you are by a “larger” city. For example, if taking a tour to Rincon de Vieja or north end of Palo Verde, see if they will stop in Liberia for meal at Café Liberia (excellent well priced food, serving lunch and dinner but only snacks from 2- 5pm) and to pick up items at the supermarket
• Do It Center
• at 21 and 253
• Can pick up Sim card:
a. Need unlocked phone.
b. Kolbi at the pharmacy
c. Movistar in the Monge electronic store in the hardware store
• Pharmacy
• Pizza place
• Bank
d. Gas Station is across from airport, adjacent to Hilton Garden Inn

Print Wikipost

Andaz Peninsula Papagayo (Costa Rica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:42 am

Thanks all for your feedback.

Originally Posted by milemission
So you can keep the Empanadas you made? That sounds great. Do they have any other cooking class available?
Yep, they serve them to you with a side of guacamole and pico de gallo. Like I said, they are also generous and the chef threw in a cup of ice-cream as I was leaving. The other cooking class they had was for ceviche.

Originally Posted by sydfan
isaifan - Is there any chance you can post a higher resolution picture of the activities photo? Or maybe you could email it to me? My wife and I are heading there in a month and I am curious to see the type of activities they might offer.
Here you go: A link to the full resolution photo. I hope you enjoy your stay.

One other thing to add: we went in late May and the hotel was only about 15% occupied. It was the start of the slow season and talking to the staff, they expect it to be slow through the rainy season until Thanksgiving/Christmas time. That said, it never rained during the five days we were there. I feel bad for the staff though. They really want to make guests happy and they seem disappointed that there is so few people there. That said, it felt awesome having pretty much the hotel to ourselves. We would rarely see other guests at the restaurants, beach, pool, lobby, etc so it was pretty nice seemingly having the resort to yourself. I believe if you go from May through November time-frame, you will experience the same. I just hope that the hotel is able to sustain itself through the low seasons.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:45 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Wow.. great review! Still trying to decide if we should pull the trigger and stay here... I only have ~1000 points and only one free night.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by isaifan
I believe if you go from May through November time-frame, you will experience the same. I just hope that the hotel is able to sustain itself through the low seasons.
We have been there both high and low season. They hire a lot of temp for the high season. It is very apparent because the service requires a lot of patience for the high season.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 10:38 am

I am considering a stay here next summer using Cash & Points and a Diamond Suite Upgrade. It looks like I would get the Andaz Suite which shows "Maximum Guest Per Room" as "2 adults & 2 children under 12 years". My wife and I would be travelling with my 13 year old, and my 12 year old. Any thoughts on how strict they are about that policy?

Thanks!

** Thanks to isaifan for the amazing review **
Old Jul 3, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Cubswin
I am considering a stay here next summer using Cash & Points and a Diamond Suite Upgrade. It looks like I would get the Andaz Suite which shows "Maximum Guest Per Room" as "2 adults & 2 children under 12 years". My wife and I would be travelling with my 13 year old, and my 12 year old. Any thoughts on how strict they are about that policy?

Thanks!

** Thanks to isaifan for the amazing review **
Was there 2x. They never asked for kids passports. I do not think it will be a problem.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Have anyone used Hyatt Giftcard at this property? I mean those physical Gift card that
was suppose for USA, Canada and Caribbean. Thanks!
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Have anyone used Hyatt Giftcard at this property? I mean those physical Gift card that
It's not in the US, Canada or the Caribbean.

I have used Hyatt USD check certs here.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
It's not in the US, Canada or the Caribbean.

I have used Hyatt USD check certs here.
You still pay in USD correct? there is no conversion to local currency and then possibly given an unfavorable exchange rate?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by thucanhho
Was there 2x. They never asked for kids passports. I do not think it will be a problem.
+1, never asked to show an ID of any additional guests
Old Jul 8, 2015, 6:05 pm

Can't use gift cards, but can use gift checks
Old Jul 8, 2015, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
You still pay in USD correct? there is no conversion to local currency and then possibly given an unfavorable exchange rate?
Actually, if I recall it correctly, the final folio is in local currency and they do use currency conversion when paying with gift checks
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:08 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Just booked 1 night using my Visa anniversary night... trying to figure out how to get more points quickly to book cash+points for other nights.

How big are the standard rooms? Going with mrs&miss hauteboy and my mom. A suite would be best I guess? But not sure how to arrange that (only have 7k points currently).
Old Jul 13, 2015, 3:09 pm
She

Edit to add - called and had it all taken care of. Had lots of availability

I have booked a 5 night stay for March 2016. My anniversary award just came through for this next year and I am trying to replace 2 nights with anniversary award bookings (myself and my husband's card). There is no availability for any time during my stay. I also searched random dates in April, February, October, November and it shows the same error message

"The property or award you have selected is not available for the selected dates indicated"

Should i keep trying? Or call Hyatt GP? Will they see more availability?

Thanks

Last edited by She; Jul 13, 2015 at 3:32 pm
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75
Originally Posted by She
Edit to add - called and had it all taken care of. Had lots of availability

I have booked a 5 night stay for March 2016. My anniversary award just came through for this next year and I am trying to replace 2 nights with anniversary award bookings (myself and my husband's card). There is no availability for any time during my stay. I also searched random dates in April, February, October, November and it shows the same error message

"The property or award you have selected is not available for the selected dates indicated"

Should i keep trying? Or call Hyatt GP? Will they see more availability?

Thanks
Look each night individually. If you see availability on points you should be able to use your Chase free night (I just used 2).
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:46 pm
She

Originally Posted by amiras
Look each night individually. If you see availability on points you should be able to use your Chase free night (I just used 2).
Yeah I searched individual nights for a range of different dates and found nothing. A quick call to Hyatt GP and they were able to book them easily for me. Not sure what the glitch with their system is

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.