Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Peninsula Papagayo (Costa Rica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ehallison
(2022 RENOVATIONS) Major reductions in service and facilities August 1 to October 31 2022 The Andaz Peninsula Papagayo will undergo renovations August 1, 2022 through October 31, 2022. The renovations will take place daily from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

The hotel will renovate the Ostra restaurant, however, Rio Bhongo, Chao Pescao and the Beach House will be available for dining.

The hotel will expand the fitness center and upgrade the spa’s reception area. The fitness center will operate at an alternate location and spa services will be offered at that location. The adults-only pool will not be available during renovations. All guests will use the main pool area.

Overview of hotel, restaurants, menus, activities, pretty much everything you need to know: (Link)

Buildings 1, 2, 3 ,4 on higher level and will have steps or you can call for a shuttle
Buildings 5, 6, 7 will be at pool/restaurant level

Property Map (click here)

Parking: valet and self parking included in 10% resort fee

Free shuttle: was until 6pm, now extended to 10pm. Please check for the specifics. Shuttle from 6pm has a charge of $25 USD to Four Season. (2/18 - sign only spoke of shuttle to 6pm)

Vaccination:
Hepatits A and Typhoid vaccine before travel.
Mosquito repellent, especially at night and during rainy season due to Dengue fever.

Complimentary poolside and beachside sunscreen and ice water with citrus in it

Complimentary in the rooms- Sun hats and flip flops, as well as a modest minibar including chips and nuts

If you plan to drive:
1. Strongly recommend GPS, or iPhone app
2. About 30-35minutes from airport
3. 20-25 minutes from hotel to major road (route 21)
4. Road is 2 lane paved road
5. There are no shoulders, just ditches (for rain to drain)
6. Roads in small towns may be unpaved.
7. Roads are not lit. Scariest part about driving at night is not getting lost, but pedestrians walking or a cyclist right on the edge of the road.
8. Another guest at Andaz turned over a car on the first day out with a rental…and this is during the dry season!! (I have no idea how this is possible, unless the driver was incompetent. I rented a car and drove my family several times into town. No problems. Was considering not doing so based on the above sentence. if you have common sense, you will be fine.- Bikeguy)
9. Consider rent from hotel a couple of days instead of getting rental for your entire trip : $90 smaller car, $120 Toyota RAV, $190 Toyota Prado seats 7

Worthwhile activities:
1. At hotel: complimentary kayak, snorkels, paddle board
2. Golf at Four Seasons
3. Witch’s Rock: very close to hotel. Canopy (zipline- $75 pp), horseback riding, quad rental
4. Palo Verde:
• Boat tours are worthwhile
• Chose one that has sun protections or bring an umbrella for sun protection
• Best approach from the south end (eg Palo Verde Boat Tour in Ortega) since it is only an hour away from hotel (vs 2hours from the north entrance.) Stop by Guaitil and pick up some famous Chorotega pottery for souvenir/gifts.
• If approaching it from the north side, stop at nearby Llanos de Cortez waterfall for a dip.
• For bird lovers, consider a Palo Verde boat tour that includes Isla Parajos that can be seen with a tour from Puerto Humo (2 hours from the hotel)
5. Rincon de Vieja
6. Fishing, surfing in Tamarindo

Nearby dining:
At hotel:
• Rio Bhongo: great breakfast (especially for diamonds), recommend casado for lunch. Diamond can also get room service breakfast instead of at restaurant.
• Chao Pescao: recommend chicken arepas, apple cake (apple pie with crčme brulee like custard and vanilla ice cream)
• Ostra
Four Seasons
Dive Bar
• at Marina
• A value for happy hour and Tuesday tacos and other specials, otherwise food were similarly priced as at the hotel and not as good.

Cambi:
• 8-5 free childcare, but with a 1 hour break at noon (so you can't do a full day trip while leaving the kids in Cambi). There is a charge for some activities
• Evening:
a. 6-10pm: $50 with meals served
b. Up to 3 hrs: $40 with meals served.

Miscellaneous:
• There is a supermarket right as you enter “larger” cities like Liberia, Playa de Coco, Santa Cruz. See if guide will make a stop if you are by a “larger” city. For example, if taking a tour to Rincon de Vieja or north end of Palo Verde, see if they will stop in Liberia for meal at Café Liberia (excellent well priced food, serving lunch and dinner but only snacks from 2- 5pm) and to pick up items at the supermarket
• Do It Center
• at 21 and 253
• Can pick up Sim card:
a. Need unlocked phone.
b. Kolbi at the pharmacy
c. Movistar in the Monge electronic store in the hardware store
• Pharmacy
• Pizza place
• Bank
d. Gas Station is across from airport, adjacent to Hilton Garden Inn

Print Wikipost

Andaz Peninsula Papagayo (Costa Rica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hauteboy
Has anyone been able to use the Hyatt Visa free night here? Hotel claims it is category 4 which should be OK for the free anniversary night?
Yes, very straightforward. I am using my free night in August. I booked the first 4 nights using Points + Cash + DSU and my last night is the free night from the Hyatt card. I'm willing to bet I'll get to keep the suite for the last night.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:55 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by PointsCentric
Yes, very straightforward. I am using my free night in August. I booked the first 4 nights using Points + Cash + DSU and my last night is the free night from the Hyatt card. I'm willing to bet I'll get to keep the suite for the last night.
Was that your initial 2 free nights or your anniversary night? Did you have to call? It's not letting me book it from the 'Awards' page.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:14 pm
Community Director Emerita

Was that your initial 2 free nights or your anniversary night? Did you have to call? It's not letting me book it from the 'Awards' page.
It is possible that you need to book a 2 day minimum stay?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:29 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Better to call with these credit card nights in either case - there seems to be an ongoing glitch with the booking process.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 7:35 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
It is possible that you need to book a 2 day minimum stay?
Don't think so.. I can see regular 15k/nt award stays for single-nights.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum
It was my anniversary night. But as others mentioned you might have to call in. Hyatt's IT is not the best.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: MR LTP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Stayed several nights in June on P&C. Didn't use DSU but got upgraded to a "relaxing king" or something. The busy season for this hotel is Nov-Apr. Jun-Oct is low season - it is also called the rainy season or "green season" because it rains every afternoon. The resort was pretty quiet the nights I was there.

Diamond breakfast was anything you wanted. Didn't present me a check or anything. Didn't show on bill. Was very good.

Overall there is not much to do at the hotel. The beach isn't a typical sandy, swimming beach that kids would like. I was pretty bored after 3 days.

Driving, as mentioned above, is a little stressful. Not very relaxing. Almost every road, even their highways, are 2 lane.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 11:16 am

Ever since the Hyatt Andaz Papagayo Resort in Costa Rica opened in December of 2013, I have been wanting to visit. My family were fortunate enough to visit this absolutely magnificent resort last month, and the stay was wonderful. I would highly recommend a stay in this resort and look forward to going back myself. What follows is a brief report on the report and why you should try to make it there.

Arrival
My family flew on American Airlines from Kansas City to Liberia with a connection in Dallas. I previously wrote about my decision process in booking this flight. We arrived in Liberia airport at around noon time. One advantage of traveling with kids, is that the immigration officers usually take pity on you and let you cut the immigration line. We were stamped into Costa Rica and quickly collected our bags. Outside of baggage claim, there were a group of drivers asking if we need a ride. They weren’t too aggressive though and backed off when we told them we already had something arranged. I had arranged shuttle service to the hotel using Liberia Airport Shuttle for $69 each way. We found our name on a sign and a van was quickly called to pick us up. The service of the driver and the constant email communication with the company was very good and I would recommend their service. The drive to the hotel took a quick and easy 45 minutes total through decent streets.

Liberia Airport Arrivals

Drive to Hotel

We arrived at the hotel at around 1pm, and were warmly greeted by the two bellhops. They took our luggage from the car and guided us to check-in. Andaz hotels has a unique check-in situation. Rather than going to a front desk, the agents walk around the lobby with an ipad and check you in that way. We were asked to relax on some seats and given a welcome lemonade drink as we checked in. The lobby of this resort is open and has great views of Papagayo Bay and the rest of the resort. Check-in took about ten minutes and at that time, we were shuttled along with our luggage to our room.

Andaz Lobby

Andaz Lobby View

Andaz Lobby

Andaz Lobby

Room
I booked this room using Cash + Points and used a Diamond Suite Upgrade in order to stay in the Andaz Suite. Alterantively, you can reserve the suite using 24,000 points per night or pay the Daily Rate plus use 6,000 points per night for the upgrade. No matter which option you choose, I would highly choose the suite if you are traveling with family as the room you are given is absolutely fantastic and huge.

We walked into our room and were amazed by the size. The room featured a full master suite with bathroom, living room, working desk, and even a separate half bath. Prior to arrival, I had informed the hotel that we were traveling with a child and baby so they had already placed an extra bed and crib in the room. The finishings of the room were very luxurious, including high-quality material finishes, and the latest in light and sound-speaker technology.

Master Bedroom

Master Bedroom

Patio

Master Bathroom

Amenities

Amenities

Living Room

Living Room

Half Bath Entrance

Half Bath

Crib

The room also featured various gifts for you to keep including flip flops and very nice fedora hats. We were also welcomed with a basket of fruit, some delicious coconut cookies, and a mixture of popcorn.

Flip Flops

Fedora Hats. We traded the red hat for another hat for my son

Delicious Fruit. Pomegranate textures, but tastes like grapefruit

Coconut Cookies

Flavored Popcorn

Another unique aspect of Andaz hotels is that they offer free drinks and snacks from their mini-bar. This included a variety of juices and sodas, water, milk, chips, and cookies. We had asked them to bring us six cartons of milk per day for my son, and they had no issues doing that. The room also feautured a coffee maker, a separate espresso machine, and another water boiler for tea. Overall, the room was very well stocked for our needs.

Andaz Snacks

Andaz Free Drinks

Overall, the suite was fantastic and provided to be a very comfortable place for our five day stay.

Hotel Activities
The hotel is in a very remote area called Papagayo. Papagayo is a fairly recent development that includes luxury hotels, condos, a marina, beach club, and a golf course. Outside of Papagayo, you need to drive around 45 minutes to find the nearest restaurants or shops. Before the trip, we debated if we should rent a car and explore the area, or if we should just stay in the hotel. We decided that it would be best to just stay in the hotel and explore Papagayo. Saying that, we were never bored in the five days at the hotel.

At check-in, the hotel provided a hotel activities schedule. Activities included cooking classes, fitness courses, nature walks, and plenty of other activities.

Hotel Activities

One day I tried my hand at making Empanadas. For around $18, I joined a one hour long class and made a half dozen empanadas. I saw this as incredible value as the price of the empanadas alone if ordered at the restaurant would have exceed the price of the class.

Empanadas Demonstration

Empanadas

The hotel also offered an amazing kids club. The staff were incredibly friendly and my daughter loved being there throughout the day. The club is open to kids above 4 years old and opens from 8am to 5 pm with a one hour lunch break in the middle. My daughter stayed entertained with art-work, crafts, games, exercises, and various other activities. Again though, the absolute best part were the genuine and extremely friendly staff.

Kids Club

Kids Club

Kids Club

Kids Club

The main attraction of the hotel though is pool and beach area. The pools were spectacular. The main pool complex featured three pools on three separate levels. There was a separate adults only pool that we didn’t visit. The salt-water pools were very comfortable to swim in and the water temperature was perfect.

Pools

The beach was the most practical beach I have ever visited. This hotel has two beaches. We were so comfortable on the main beach, that we never even considered exploring the second. The beach area was around 100 meters in length. There were canopy trees on the beach that provided excellent shade during the day. There was also a vary nice breeze coming from the bay that made the setting excellent. There are numerous lounge chair and hammocks spread throughout and there were no problems securing a seat. Guests can also borrow snorkeling and paddle-boarding gear and can enjoy the water. My wife and I would usually drop our daughter off at the kids-club, and head to the beach with our son. We would alternate turns watching our son while the other snorkeled. The snorkeling was very easy and rewarding as there are large corals and creatures close to the beach including sea turtles, sting rays, starfish, and numerous groups of fish. The beach setting was so ideal, that we spent most of our days there. Even the monkeys enjoyed the beach.

Beach

Beach with Shade Trees

Comfortable Hammocks

Sea Turtle

Star Fish

Snorkling

Selfie

Monkeys

Throughout the day, locals with jet-skis would drive into the beach and offer a jet-ski rental. One day a very nice guy named Coco and his dog joined the beach. We rented a jet-ski from him for around $30 for half an hour. He even watched over our sleeping son as my wife and I made circles close to the beach with the jet-ski.

Coco

Jet-Ski

The hotel also offered a nice game room with ping pong table. They even offer ping pong tournaments throughout the week. There is also a relaxation room next to the spa area which offers lounge chairs, small snacks, and very soothing music overlooking the water. My wife and I tried it the first day, and indeed we almost fell asleep. There is a good size gym, but I’m on vacation so I didn’t use it. We snuck a look into the spa rooms as well and they seemed to be very nice. The price was a bit too steep for our liking though so didn’t partake.

Game Room

The hotel also offers a complimentary shuttle car that will take you to the various areas in Papagayo. One day we asked the driver to take us on a tour. He spent two hours with us driving us around the peninsula showing us the different hotels, luxury homes, and wild animal. It was a very nice activity for the night. Overall, we were impressed by the activities had to offer and were never bored during that time.

Hotel Food
I had heard from others that food at the hotel was a bit expensive. That is generally true, but for the area you are in and the service you receive, we were satisfied with the food choices. The hotel has three restaurants: 1) Rio Bhongo, The main restaurant with food throughout the day. 2) Chao Pescao, A tapas bar. 3) Ostra, a reservation required seafood restaurant. We had our meals in Rio Bhongo. The food in the restaurant was excellent quality. We were impressed with all of the food we had. Kids under five eat free so we order meals for my daughter and son and would have their leftovers if there were any. The waiters often also went above and beyond offering us complimentary fruits and drinks. We also ordered food at the pool and beach and found the food and service to be equally as impressive. One most have dish while visiting is the famous baked pineapple. An entire pineapple is brought to the table along with a huge assortment of toppings. For $12, it is a bargain that can easily shared by six people.

Chao Pescao Entrance

Chao Pescoa

Rio Bhongo Grilled Seafood

Free Kids Meals

Baked Pineapple and Toppings

Food at Beach

I would suggest though not eating all the meals in the hotel as the bill can rack up quickly. My family brought canned foods and bread with us from US and saved quite a few bucks that way. We were questioned though about some canned chicken in the airport, so I would suggest sticking with canned tuna.

Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Tuna, Zaatar, Labna, Olive Oil

Hotel Service

Throughout our stay, the service from ALL of the staff we encountered was absolutely amazing. We would be greeted by name throughout our stay. While walking throughout the hotel, all the staff will say hello and offer you a lift on their carts. The restaurant staff were all very friendly and extremely generous. The kids club staff was amazing. One incident that set this hotel stay apart though happened after a little injury. I was walking down to the pool and slipped on a wet spot and injured my toe. I didn’t think much about it and completed my day. When we went to pick up our daughter from the kids club, the club staff noticed the injury and called the general manager. The general manager called to check up on me and even offered to call an ambulance to go to Liberia, and they would pick up the fee. I told her that it wasn’t a big deal, but she insisted a doctor see it. As the doctor had gone home for the night, he visited me the first thing in the morning and confirmed that it was not broken. For the next two days, I was treated as royalty as I got numerous calls from the front-desk agent, the general manager, the kids club staff, even house keeping to check on my toe. Every staff we encountered was genuine, friendly and a pleasure to deal with.

Overall Impressions
I loved, loved, loved this hotel. The room was fantastic, the activities were numerous, the beach was the most practical I’ve seen, the pools were amazing, and the staff were wonderful. I wouldn’t change a single thing about the hotel. As a category 4 hotel, staying at this hotel is very affordable using only 15,000 points per night or $100 + 7,500 points if points and cash is available. I highly recommend visiting the hotel and look forward to going back myself.

Last edited by isaifan; Aug 24, 2016 at 2:49 am
Old Jun 26, 2015, 11:30 am
Community Director Emerita

What a wonderful report. Thank you.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Wow

I loved the "Iron" sandwich. Great pictures!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Love the sandwich press!! And the labnah, of course
Old Jun 26, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
One day I tried my hand at making Empanadas. For around $18, I joined a one hour long class and made a half dozen empanadas. I saw this as incredible value as the price of the empanadas alone if ordered at the restaurant would have exceed the price of the class.

So you can keep the Empanadas you made? That sounds great. Do they have any other cooking class available?

Thank you for much for the report!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:35 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
The report was fantastic! Many thanks!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 11:05 pm

I need to borrow your idea for a unique panini press!
Old Jun 27, 2015, 7:35 am

Activities Photo

isaifan - Is there any chance you can post a higher resolution picture of the activities photo? Or maybe you could email it to me? My wife and I are heading there in a month and I am curious to see the type of activities they might offer.

Thank you so much for the write up, it was a great read and makes me even more excited to be there!

Thanks.
Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.