Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Peninsula Papagayo (Costa Rica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ehallison
(2022 RENOVATIONS) Major reductions in service and facilities August 1 to October 31 2022 The Andaz Peninsula Papagayo will undergo renovations August 1, 2022 through October 31, 2022. The renovations will take place daily from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

The hotel will renovate the Ostra restaurant, however, Rio Bhongo, Chao Pescao and the Beach House will be available for dining.

The hotel will expand the fitness center and upgrade the spa’s reception area. The fitness center will operate at an alternate location and spa services will be offered at that location. The adults-only pool will not be available during renovations. All guests will use the main pool area.

Overview of hotel, restaurants, menus, activities, pretty much everything you need to know: (Link)

Buildings 1, 2, 3 ,4 on higher level and will have steps or you can call for a shuttle
Buildings 5, 6, 7 will be at pool/restaurant level

Property Map (click here)

Parking: valet and self parking included in 10% resort fee

Free shuttle: was until 6pm, now extended to 10pm. Please check for the specifics. Shuttle from 6pm has a charge of $25 USD to Four Season. (2/18 - sign only spoke of shuttle to 6pm)

Vaccination:
Hepatits A and Typhoid vaccine before travel.
Mosquito repellent, especially at night and during rainy season due to Dengue fever.

Complimentary poolside and beachside sunscreen and ice water with citrus in it

Complimentary in the rooms- Sun hats and flip flops, as well as a modest minibar including chips and nuts

If you plan to drive:
1. Strongly recommend GPS, or iPhone app
2. About 30-35minutes from airport
3. 20-25 minutes from hotel to major road (route 21)
4. Road is 2 lane paved road
5. There are no shoulders, just ditches (for rain to drain)
6. Roads in small towns may be unpaved.
7. Roads are not lit. Scariest part about driving at night is not getting lost, but pedestrians walking or a cyclist right on the edge of the road.
8. Another guest at Andaz turned over a car on the first day out with a rental…and this is during the dry season!! (I have no idea how this is possible, unless the driver was incompetent. I rented a car and drove my family several times into town. No problems. Was considering not doing so based on the above sentence. if you have common sense, you will be fine.- Bikeguy)
9. Consider rent from hotel a couple of days instead of getting rental for your entire trip : $90 smaller car, $120 Toyota RAV, $190 Toyota Prado seats 7

Worthwhile activities:
1. At hotel: complimentary kayak, snorkels, paddle board
2. Golf at Four Seasons
3. Witch’s Rock: very close to hotel. Canopy (zipline- $75 pp), horseback riding, quad rental
4. Palo Verde:
• Boat tours are worthwhile
• Chose one that has sun protections or bring an umbrella for sun protection
• Best approach from the south end (eg Palo Verde Boat Tour in Ortega) since it is only an hour away from hotel (vs 2hours from the north entrance.) Stop by Guaitil and pick up some famous Chorotega pottery for souvenir/gifts.
• If approaching it from the north side, stop at nearby Llanos de Cortez waterfall for a dip.
• For bird lovers, consider a Palo Verde boat tour that includes Isla Parajos that can be seen with a tour from Puerto Humo (2 hours from the hotel)
5. Rincon de Vieja
6. Fishing, surfing in Tamarindo

Nearby dining:
At hotel:
• Rio Bhongo: great breakfast (especially for diamonds), recommend casado for lunch. Diamond can also get room service breakfast instead of at restaurant.
• Chao Pescao: recommend chicken arepas, apple cake (apple pie with crčme brulee like custard and vanilla ice cream)
• Ostra
Four Seasons
Dive Bar
• at Marina
• A value for happy hour and Tuesday tacos and other specials, otherwise food were similarly priced as at the hotel and not as good.

Cambi:
• 8-5 free childcare, but with a 1 hour break at noon (so you can't do a full day trip while leaving the kids in Cambi). There is a charge for some activities
• Evening:
a. 6-10pm: $50 with meals served
b. Up to 3 hrs: $40 with meals served.

Miscellaneous:
• There is a supermarket right as you enter “larger” cities like Liberia, Playa de Coco, Santa Cruz. See if guide will make a stop if you are by a “larger” city. For example, if taking a tour to Rincon de Vieja or north end of Palo Verde, see if they will stop in Liberia for meal at Café Liberia (excellent well priced food, serving lunch and dinner but only snacks from 2- 5pm) and to pick up items at the supermarket
• Do It Center
• at 21 and 253
• Can pick up Sim card:
a. Need unlocked phone.
b. Kolbi at the pharmacy
c. Movistar in the Monge electronic store in the hardware store
• Pharmacy
• Pizza place
• Bank
d. Gas Station is across from airport, adjacent to Hilton Garden Inn

Print Wikipost

Andaz Peninsula Papagayo (Costa Rica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by pointsaholic
Can anyone comment on how good the wifi was at the hotel?

I would like to save some vacation time by getting some work done if the signal is reliable.

TIA
We went in August when occupancy was relatively low and the wifi was lightening fast. It was perfect in the room, ok on the balcony if you found the right spot, and OK at the pool---but you need a chair where you can pick up the signal. At the adult pool I found that there were some hit or miss areas. I did not try at the Sanctuary, but that would be a great, quiet place to get some work done and not have to be stuck in the room.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by TKKY
I know this has been covered earlier in the thread and I've read those, but given that several months have passed since those posts, I'd like to ask again. I'm wondering whether there are others close by (within a 20 minute drive or so). Thanks.
Nothing close by, unless you want to go to FS. They do have complimentary transportation there till 6pm, then its $25 r/t

Just FYI, they will tell you you can go to FS beach, however if you want to use FS lounge chairs or towels there will be a $200 facility charge from FS per person.

So transportation is really useless unless you go to FS to dine.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG lt Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Nothing close by, unless you want to go to FS. They do have complimentary transportation there till 6pm, then its $25 r/t

Just FYI, they will tell you you can go to FS beach, however if you want to use FS lounge chairs or towels there will be a $200 facility charge from FS per person.

So transportation is really useless unless you go to FS to dine.
When I was there in June we went to the FS Beach for the afternoon once and they didn't charge us anything for using the lounge chairs or towels. They definitely knew we were there too because we had several rounds of drinks on our chairs at the beach, they replaced our towels once and the hostess called for a car to bring us back to the Andaz.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by DErg
When I was there in June we went to the FS Beach for the afternoon once and they didn't charge us anything for using the lounge chairs or towels. They definitely knew we were there too because we had several rounds of drinks on our chairs at the beach, they replaced our towels once and the hostess called for a car to bring us back to the Andaz.
Just to clarify. We were given lounge chairs and towels upon arriving at FS beach. However when we wanted to get some drinks, were asked for a room number. We informed that we are staying at Andaz and the attendant left. Few min later, one of the FS managers came over and explained that lounge chairs are for FS guests only and if we want to use them and have drinks, we need to buy a $200 per person day pass. He stated that the beach is a public property and available for anyone use, however he could not serve us any drinks but were welcome to use lounge chairs as we already been using them.
Despite the above, we did not have any issues having lunch at one of the FS restaurants and they did call for a car to take us back to Andaz.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 10:09 pm

speed at midnight
Old Nov 30, 2014, 8:57 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I would say the speeds depend on your room.

We are currently at this hotel. We were originally in building 4, and had terrific internet! Later, moved to a Large Suite in building 7, where we struggled to get wifi signal in the bedrooms. Speeds in the living room were just under 1 mbps - so also not great.

So, YMMV
Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG lt Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
Just to clarify. We were given lounge chairs and towels upon arriving at FS beach. However when we wanted to get some drinks, were asked for a room number. We informed that we are staying at Andaz and the attendant left. Few min later, one of the FS managers came over and explained that lounge chairs are for FS guests only and if we want to use them and have drinks, we need to buy a $200 per person day pass. He stated that the beach is a public property and available for anyone use, however he could not serve us any drinks but were welcome to use lounge chairs as we already been using them.
Despite the above, we did not have any issues having lunch at one of the FS restaurants and they did call for a car to take us back to Andaz.
Bizarre, I guess YMMV

speed at midnight
Damn 1ms latency is incredible
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:02 pm

You can also get free transportation to the Prieta beach club that has two restaurants and a lounge, along with a much better beach and clear water compared to the Andaz.
Just stayed at Andaz for 5 nights last week. Beautiful hotel, very nice rooms, stayed on 1st floor of building 2 and had intermittent problems with internet. No recognition of Platinum status. They don't seem to be very forthcoming with information, either. Nobody told us about the beach club access, nobody told us about kids eating free in Rio Bhongo (we checked in with our 4 children), nobody told us about free transportation to the beach club or the FS. If we had not read up before, we would have missed out.
Also, airport transfer at the end of our stay was arranged night before and confirmed 15 minutes before scheduled departure, and was 15 minutes late and too small to carry us all.
Having said this, the property is beautiful and the staff are friendly and caring. We would go back anytime!
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
You can also get free transportation to the Prieta beach club that has two restaurants and a lounge, along with a much better beach and clear water compared to the Andaz.
Just stayed at Andaz for 5 nights last week. Beautiful hotel, very nice rooms, stayed on 1st floor of building 2 and had intermittent problems with internet. No recognition of Platinum status. They don't seem to be very forthcoming with information, either. Nobody told us about the beach club access, nobody told us about kids eating free in Rio Bhongo (we checked in with our 4 children), nobody told us about free transportation to the beach club or the FS. If we had not read up before, we would have missed out.
Also, airport transfer at the end of our stay was arranged night before and confirmed 15 minutes before scheduled departure, and was 15 minutes late and too small to carry us all.
Having said this, the property is beautiful and the staff are friendly and caring. We would go back anytime!
can you use charge privileges at Prieta beach club (i.e., charge that onto your Andaz account)?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by TKKY
can you use charge privileges at Prieta beach club (i.e., charge that onto your Andaz account)?
No. Andaz restaurants only.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: Free agent, value for my money
Beautiful hotel, great staff

Been here for several days now and have found the info provided above to be very accurate. Would add that at peak periods the Prieta club will become very crowded, and local residents and others will reserve seats beginning in the morning so if that is on your agenda....go early!

It's about 8km from Andaz to Four Seasons (16km r/t)...a nice jog if you're up for it.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 11:54 am

Been here for a few days.... Have a few more...... Any specific questions?
Old Dec 26, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by shaneaboyle
Been here for a few days.... Have a few more...... Any specific questions?
What do most people do at night? It sounds like it is too dark to walk around the area. And there's limited transportation.

I'm guessing most guests are couples/families that stay inside their rooms. Anyone find fun things to do after sundown?
Old Dec 26, 2014, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by stackm
What do most people do at night? It sounds like it is too dark to walk around the area. And there's limited transportation.

I'm guessing most guests are couples/families that stay inside their rooms. Anyone find fun things to do after sundown?
If you have a car, you can drive to any nearby coastal cities. They have many bars, restaurants, music
Old Dec 26, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
If you have a car, you can drive to any nearby coastal cities. They have many bars, restaurants, music
Btw, the closest town with a bit of action is Playa Panama, which is a 30 min drive away. Def need your own transportation to get there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.