Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Hotels and Places to Stay

Hyatt | World of Hyatt

Andaz Peninsula Papagayo (Costa Rica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Peninsula Papagayo (Costa Rica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 26, 22, 3:35 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: writetorich
Wiki Link
ALL DAY NOISE RENOVATIONS --Major reductions in service and facilities August 1 to October 31 The Andaz Peninsula Papagayo will undergo renovations August 1, 2022 through October 31, 2022. The renovations will take place daily from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

The hotel will renovate the Ostra restaurant, however, Rio Bhongo, Chao Pescao and the Beach House will be available for dining.

The hotel will expand the fitness center and upgrade the spas reception area. The fitness center will operate at an alternate location and spa services will be offered at that location. The adults-only pool will not be available during renovations. All guests will use the main pool area.

Overview of hotel, restaurants, menus, activities, pretty much everything you need to know: (Link)

Buildings 1, 2, 3 ,4 on higher level and will have steps or you can call for a shuttle
Buildings 5, 6, 7 will be at pool/restaurant level

Property Map (click here)

Parking: valet and self parking included in 10% resort fee

Free shuttle: was until 6pm, now extended to 10pm. Please check for the specifics. Shuttle from 6pm has a charge of $25 USD to Four Season. (2/18 - sign only spoke of shuttle to 6pm)

Vaccination:
Hepatits A and Typhoid vaccine before travel.
Mosquito repellent, especially at night and during rainy season due to Dengue fever.

Complimentary poolside and beachside sunscreen and ice water with citrus in it

Complimentary in the rooms- Sun hats and flip flops, as well as a modest minibar including chips and nuts

If you plan to drive:
1. Strongly recommend GPS, or iPhone app
2. About 30-35minutes from airport
3. 20-25 minutes from hotel to major road (route 21)
4. Road is 2 lane paved road
5. There are no shoulders, just ditches (for rain to drain)
6. Roads in small towns may be unpaved.
7. Roads are not lit. Scariest part about driving at night is not getting lost, but pedestrians walking or a cyclist right on the edge of the road.
8. Another guest at Andaz turned over a car on the first day out with a rentaland this is during the dry season!! (I have no idea how this is possible, unless the driver was incompetent. I rented a car and drove my family several times into town. No problems. Was considering not doing so based on the above sentence. if you have common sense, you will be fine.- Bikeguy)
9. Consider rent from hotel a couple of days instead of getting rental for your entire trip : $90 smaller car, $120 Toyota RAV, $190 Toyota Prado seats 7

Worthwhile activities:
1. At hotel: complimentary kayak, snorkels, paddle board
2. Golf at Four Seasons
3. Witchs Rock: very close to hotel. Canopy (zipline- $75 pp), horseback riding, quad rental
4. Palo Verde:
Boat tours are worthwhile
Chose one that has sun protections or bring an umbrella for sun protection
Best approach from the south end (eg Palo Verde Boat Tour in Ortega) since it is only an hour away from hotel (vs 2hours from the north entrance.) Stop by Guaitil and pick up some famous Chorotega pottery for souvenir/gifts.
If approaching it from the north side, stop at nearby Llanos de Cortez waterfall for a dip.
For bird lovers, consider a Palo Verde boat tour that includes Isla Parajos that can be seen with a tour from Puerto Humo (2 hours from the hotel)
5. Rincon de Vieja
6. Fishing, surfing in Tamarindo

Nearby dining:
At hotel:
Rio Bhongo: great breakfast (especially for diamonds), recommend casado for lunch. Diamond can also get room service breakfast instead of at restaurant.
Chao Pescao: recommend chicken arepas, apple cake (apple pie with crme brulee like custard and vanilla ice cream)
Ostra
Four Seasons
Dive Bar
at Marina
A value for happy hour and Tuesday tacos and other specials, otherwise food were similarly priced as at the hotel and not as good.

Cambi:
8-5 free childcare, but with a 1 hour break at noon (so you can't do a full day trip while leaving the kids in Cambi). There is a charge for some activities
Evening:
a. 6-10pm: $50 with meals served
b. Up to 3 hrs: $40 with meals served.

Miscellaneous:
There is a supermarket right as you enter larger cities like Liberia, Playa de Coco, Santa Cruz. See if guide will make a stop if you are by a larger city. For example, if taking a tour to Rincon de Vieja or north end of Palo Verde, see if they will stop in Liberia for meal at Caf Liberia (excellent well priced food, serving lunch and dinner but only snacks from 2- 5pm) and to pick up items at the supermarket
Do It Center
at 21 and 253
Can pick up Sim card:
a. Need unlocked phone.
b. Kolbi at the pharmacy
c. Movistar in the Monge electronic store in the hardware store
Pharmacy
Pizza place
Bank
d. Gas Station is across from airport, adjacent to Hilton Garden Inn

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 25, 22, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Skink View Post
Beach House, Ostra and Rio Bhongo all have a vegan/vegetarian section on their menu.
Def gonna have 1 meat at most on property restaurant, but was looking for more off property recommendations. Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 22, 3:30 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Its not just you lol. This property wasnt able to justify my 20K points stay I had, and it doesnt deliver the experience for a 700/night property either. Most of the folks at this property used points. Very few if any paid the outrageous cash rates. Rate goes down to 400/night during the intense summer days. Still not worth it at that price.
Originally Posted by antonius66 View Post
Man I have looked at going here but the rates are steadily 600+. I cannot imagine this place can be worth 700-800+ a night out the door with taxes. Am I just REALLY off base?
go off property to the 4seasons for your dining needs. Read the posts on the last page which covers why F&B here blows.
Originally Posted by dwatcher View Post
Going to request top floor of either building 1,2 or 7. Any recommendation which one is better overall? not going to stay in room all day so bay view is good but not the most pressing need.

Any good local restaurant recommendation for vegetarian options?
Old Jan 25, 22, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by antonius66 View Post
Man I have looked at going here but the rates are steadily 600+. I cannot imagine this place can be worth 700-800+ a night out the door with taxes. Am I just REALLY off base?
everything is relative
it will be a much better value than what 700-800 will get you in Hawaii for example.. limited service properties in touristy areas (yellowstone, springdale, moab etc etc) in season go for 500+...
things are out of whack in general if you go with major brands in resorty destinations

i would not pay those rates but most people who go there do..
Old Jan 27, 22, 8:24 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Gertjaars View Post
Its not just you lol. This property wasnt able to justify my 20K points stay I had, and it doesnt deliver the experience for a 700/night property either. Most of the folks at this property used points. Very few if any paid the outrageous cash rates. Rate goes down to 400/night during the intense summer days. Still not worth it at that price.

go off property to the 4seasons for your dining needs. Read the posts on the last page which covers why F&B here blows.
Gertjaars - Why did you say it's "highly doubtful" the property would give me a suite upgrade as a Globalist traveling with a family? I'd like to understand why you think they gave you the upgrade as a solo traveler and not others traveling in a group before I pull the trigger on a cash upgrade in advance of my stay. Normally I would roll the dice and ask for an upgrade at checkin like you but if you think they're more friendly to solo travelers for some reason, that would be good to know. Thanks.
writetorich likes this.
Old Jan 27, 22, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by livetwice View Post
Gertjaars - Why did you say it's "highly doubtful" the property would give me a suite upgrade as a Globalist traveling with a family? I'd like to understand why you think they gave you the upgrade as a solo traveler and not others traveling in a group before I pull the trigger on a cash upgrade in advance of my stay. Normally I would roll the dice and ask for an upgrade at checkin like you but if you think they're more friendly to solo travelers for some reason, that would be good to know. Thanks.
I'm not the OP but don't overthink this - if you want an upgrade, confirm the upgrade in advance, especially if you are going at a peak time period. There are all kinds of reasons someone may get upgraded over someone else - length of stay, previous hotel stays, special occasions, another room wasn't ready - its impossible to say.
Old Feb 12, 22, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA Silver, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Do they offer guests to pay up for the all inclusive package when booking using points (like Andaz Mayakoba)?
Old Feb 13, 22, 8:41 am

I was quoted $150/person + 23% taxes and fees.

Children 5 and under I believe are free.

As a globalist with free breakfast, this number didn't make sense at all. We ate all meals on property and ordered essentially whatever we wanted and drank quite a bit of alcohol (and it still came out to less than that). We had a 5 and under, 2 adults and one child over 5.
Single_Flyer likes this.
Old Feb 13, 22, 8:44 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA Silver, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RioAg View Post
I was quoted $150/person + 23% taxes and fees.

Children 5 and under I believe are free.

As a globalist with free breakfast, this number didn't make sense at all. We ate all meals on property and ordered essentially whatever we wanted and drank quite a bit of alcohol (and it still came out to less than that). We had a 5 and under, 2 adults and one child over 5.
Thanks. ~$185 after taxes doesn't sound like such a good deal.
Old Mar 6, 22, 2:02 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Picture Dump from my January 2022 Trip

Last edited by Gertjaars; May 16, 22 at 9:38 pm
Old Mar 10, 22, 7:32 pm

Construction

Read some reviews complaining about the construction nearby and the noise level. How bad it is, anyone knows that when the construction is supposed to be completed? I have a week long booking in late May now Im not sure if I need to reschedule or cancel it

Last edited by yqx733; Mar 10, 22 at 10:54 pm
Old Mar 11, 22, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Thanks for the pictures. Pics are always nice, but hopefully next time someone posts, they can be much smaller.
Old Mar 14, 22, 12:44 pm

Can anyone comment on if the Four Seasons charges offsite guests for parking? Renting a car and planning on going there a few times for dinner - was on the fence about the car but with the evening shuttle charge, seems like a no-brainer.

Also, anyone have any experience with the kids club? Wondering how far in advance that needs to be booked - the concierge seemed to indicate pretty far in advance.
Old Mar 14, 22, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by slariz View Post
Can anyone comment on if the Four Seasons charges offsite guests for parking? Renting a car and planning on going there a few times for dinner - was on the fence about the car but with the evening shuttle charge, seems like a no-brainer.

Also, anyone have any experience with the kids club? Wondering how far in advance that needs to be booked - the concierge seemed to indicate pretty far in advance.
I was there last week. There is no charge for the shuttle to FS that I'm aware of. I only used it once to go to FS for dinner and it was free.

My kids used the kids club twice. They only let you book one session per day - morning or afternoon - regardless of capacity. I believe they limit it to 7 kids. If there are free spaces, we had no problem sending them the day-of.
Old Mar 14, 22, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by redbirdsj View Post
I was there last week. There is no charge for the shuttle to FS that I'm aware of. I only used it once to go to FS for dinner and it was free.

My kids used the kids club twice. They only let you book one session per day - morning or afternoon - regardless of capacity. I believe they limit it to 7 kids. If there are free spaces, we had no problem sending them the day-of.
Thanks very much! This is hugely helpful. I saw the shuttle charge in the Flyertalk wiki, but that must be outdated. We are traveling at peak season (spring break and hotel shows sold out online), so want to get all our ducks in a row ahead of time.

Is it recommended to make restaurant reservations in advance, too?

We had traveled to Hawaii last summer and if you didn't make your on-property reservations before arrival, you were basically out of luck. So I'm trying to learn from that experience!
Old Mar 14, 22, 2:32 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by slariz View Post
Thanks very much! This is hugely helpful. I saw the shuttle charge in the Flyertalk wiki, but that must be outdated. We are traveling at peak season (spring break and hotel shows sold out online), so want to get all our ducks in a row ahead of time.

Is it recommended to make restaurant reservations in advance, too?

We had traveled to Hawaii last summer and if you didn't make your on-property reservations before arrival, you were basically out of luck. So I'm trying to learn from that experience!
Yes definitely make reservations in advance

Search this Thread