Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Peninsula Papagayo (Costa Rica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ehallison
(2022 RENOVATIONS) Major reductions in service and facilities August 1 to October 31 2022 The Andaz Peninsula Papagayo will undergo renovations August 1, 2022 through October 31, 2022. The renovations will take place daily from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

The hotel will renovate the Ostra restaurant, however, Rio Bhongo, Chao Pescao and the Beach House will be available for dining.

The hotel will expand the fitness center and upgrade the spa’s reception area. The fitness center will operate at an alternate location and spa services will be offered at that location. The adults-only pool will not be available during renovations. All guests will use the main pool area.

Overview of hotel, restaurants, menus, activities, pretty much everything you need to know: (Link)

Buildings 1, 2, 3 ,4 on higher level and will have steps or you can call for a shuttle
Buildings 5, 6, 7 will be at pool/restaurant level

Property Map (click here)

Parking: valet and self parking included in 10% resort fee

Free shuttle: was until 6pm, now extended to 10pm. Please check for the specifics. Shuttle from 6pm has a charge of $25 USD to Four Season. (2/18 - sign only spoke of shuttle to 6pm)

Vaccination:
Hepatits A and Typhoid vaccine before travel.
Mosquito repellent, especially at night and during rainy season due to Dengue fever.

Complimentary poolside and beachside sunscreen and ice water with citrus in it

Complimentary in the rooms- Sun hats and flip flops, as well as a modest minibar including chips and nuts

If you plan to drive:
1. Strongly recommend GPS, or iPhone app
2. About 30-35minutes from airport
3. 20-25 minutes from hotel to major road (route 21)
4. Road is 2 lane paved road
5. There are no shoulders, just ditches (for rain to drain)
6. Roads in small towns may be unpaved.
7. Roads are not lit. Scariest part about driving at night is not getting lost, but pedestrians walking or a cyclist right on the edge of the road.
8. Another guest at Andaz turned over a car on the first day out with a rental…and this is during the dry season!! (I have no idea how this is possible, unless the driver was incompetent. I rented a car and drove my family several times into town. No problems. Was considering not doing so based on the above sentence. if you have common sense, you will be fine.- Bikeguy)
9. Consider rent from hotel a couple of days instead of getting rental for your entire trip : $90 smaller car, $120 Toyota RAV, $190 Toyota Prado seats 7

Worthwhile activities:
1. At hotel: complimentary kayak, snorkels, paddle board
2. Golf at Four Seasons
3. Witch’s Rock: very close to hotel. Canopy (zipline- $75 pp), horseback riding, quad rental
4. Palo Verde:
• Boat tours are worthwhile
• Chose one that has sun protections or bring an umbrella for sun protection
• Best approach from the south end (eg Palo Verde Boat Tour in Ortega) since it is only an hour away from hotel (vs 2hours from the north entrance.) Stop by Guaitil and pick up some famous Chorotega pottery for souvenir/gifts.
• If approaching it from the north side, stop at nearby Llanos de Cortez waterfall for a dip.
• For bird lovers, consider a Palo Verde boat tour that includes Isla Parajos that can be seen with a tour from Puerto Humo (2 hours from the hotel)
5. Rincon de Vieja
6. Fishing, surfing in Tamarindo

Nearby dining:
At hotel:
• Rio Bhongo: great breakfast (especially for diamonds), recommend casado for lunch. Diamond can also get room service breakfast instead of at restaurant.
• Chao Pescao: recommend chicken arepas, apple cake (apple pie with crème brulee like custard and vanilla ice cream)
• Ostra
Four Seasons
Dive Bar
• at Marina
• A value for happy hour and Tuesday tacos and other specials, otherwise food were similarly priced as at the hotel and not as good.

Cambi:
• 8-5 free childcare, but with a 1 hour break at noon (so you can't do a full day trip while leaving the kids in Cambi). There is a charge for some activities
• Evening:
a. 6-10pm: $50 with meals served
b. Up to 3 hrs: $40 with meals served.

Miscellaneous:
• There is a supermarket right as you enter “larger” cities like Liberia, Playa de Coco, Santa Cruz. See if guide will make a stop if you are by a “larger” city. For example, if taking a tour to Rincon de Vieja or north end of Palo Verde, see if they will stop in Liberia for meal at Café Liberia (excellent well priced food, serving lunch and dinner but only snacks from 2- 5pm) and to pick up items at the supermarket
• Do It Center
• at 21 and 253
• Can pick up Sim card:
a. Need unlocked phone.
b. Kolbi at the pharmacy
c. Movistar in the Monge electronic store in the hardware store
• Pharmacy
• Pizza place
• Bank
d. Gas Station is across from airport, adjacent to Hilton Garden Inn

Print Wikipost

Andaz Peninsula Papagayo (Costa Rica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:48 am

Britt Shop Exchange Rate Warning

If you think the prices charged at the 3rd party gift shop are high, just wait until you see how they are reflected on your hotel folio or credit card statement! In most cases, we found prices to be quoted in USD and charged to our credit card in USD, so foreign exchange rates were not an issue. The Andaz will quote prices in USD and they will appear on your folio in colones using a set exchange rate. During our stay, that rate was 612. (For comparison, Chase used 608 for the one credit card charge we had in colones during our trip.) The hotel exchange rate really doesn't matter since they ultimately charge your card in USD using that same rate. The onsite 3rd party Britt Shop, however, used an inflated exchange rate of 674, a 10% markup, when we charged a purchase to our room. Since the hotel converts their charges back to USD at their 612 rate, a $71 purchase became $78! When we asked the gift shop employee about it, we discovered that the only way to get the price stated in USD was to pay cash. A direct credit card charge would also get converted to colones at their inflated rate. I understand that credit card bank fees are high there, but found it very deceptive that this practice was not disclosed by the gift shop at the time of purchase.

3/4/2019 UPDATE: Hotel management indicates this issue has been addressed.
beachfan and CLG like this.

Last edited by DealDetective; Mar 4, 2019 at 5:46 pm Reason: Update
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by DealDetective
If you think the prices charged at the 3rd party gift shop are high, just wait until you see how they are reflected on your hotel folio or credit card statement! In most cases, we found prices to be quoted in USD and charged to our credit card in USD, so foreign exchange rates were not an issue. The Andaz will quote prices in USD and they will appear on your folio in colones using a set exchange rate. During our stay, that rate was 612. (For comparison, Chase used 608 for the one credit card charge we had in colones during our trip.) The hotel exchange rate really doesn't matter since they ultimately charge your card in USD using that same rate. The onsite 3rd party Britt Shop, however, used an inflated exchange rate of 674, a 10% markup, when we charged a purchase to our room. Since the hotel converts their charges back to USD at their 612 rate, a $71 purchase became $78! When we asked the gift shop employee about it, we discovered that the only way to get the price stated in USD was to pay cash. A direct credit card charge would also get converted to colones at their inflated rate. I understand that credit card bank fees are high there, but found it very deceptive that this practice was not disclosed by the gift shop at the time of purchase.
Thanks for pointing this out.

Couldn't you just request the gift shop to charge in dollars on a credit card?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
Thanks for pointing this out.

Couldn't you just request the gift shop to charge in dollars on a credit card?
We had that exact discussion. Everything gets converted at their inflated rate. It was not possible to pay the price quoted in USD unless you pay cash. When traveling, we try to minimize the amount of cash we carry. Fortunately, there is an ATM near the lobby that dispenses USD.

NOTE: The ATM charges $4.95 per withdrawal. My bank refunds such charges, so it was not a consideration.

Last edited by DealDetective; Feb 25, 2019 at 11:17 am Reason: Additional information
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: Hyatt GP Diamond
Thanks for clarifying! I was there the same time you were and experienced exactly the same issue. I didn't notice this until checkout and didn't really have time to investigate, but was wondering what was going on. Also, it looks like they charge service and tax on hotel restaurant charges on checkout, but the restaurants charge service and tax at time of sale so in effect a double service/tax? Seems unlikely to be allowed, but you never know ...
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by gunksny
Thanks for clarifying! I was there the same time you were and experienced exactly the same issue. I didn't notice this until checkout and didn't really have time to investigate, but was wondering what was going on. Also, it looks like they charge service and tax on hotel restaurant charges on checkout, but the restaurants charge service and tax at time of sale so in effect a double service/tax? Seems unlikely to be allowed, but you never know ...
They certainly don't make it easy to verify the accuracy of your folio. The only way I caught it was I had verified the amounts on our TV before the gift shop purchase was made and noticed that the amount on the final bill increased by more than the amount on the gift shop receipt. We had time to void the transaction and pay cash, more for the principle of the matter and to make a point that we noticed the deception. Since many of the items in the gift shop did not have price tags, and the ones that did had tax included, it seemed to me they were effectively adding a 10% service charge on to the purchase by manipulating the exchange rate!

Your comment raised my suspicion about the rest of my folio, particularly the 3rd party activities we charged to the room. The method of presentation on the final folio is confusing, but I was able to verify it to the penny, and nothing was added over and above the amounts we authorized. They just break out the total tax and service as separate line items. The mystery I have not been able to resolve is the calculation of our eligible spend. There's no rhyme or reason to that amount.

By any chance, did we meet at the ceviche class on 2/13? There seemed to be several people speaking "Flyertalk" at that class!
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt GP Diamond
They certainly don't make it easy to verify the accuracy of your folio. The only way I caught it was I had verified the amounts on our TV before the gift shop purchase was made and noticed that the amount on the final bill increased by more than the amount on the gift shop receipt. We had time to void the transaction and pay cash, more for the principle of the matter and to make a point that we noticed the deception. Since many of the items in the gift shop did not have price tags, and the ones that did had tax included, it seemed to me they were effectively adding a 10% service charge on to the purchase by manipulating the exchange rate!

Your comment raised my suspicion about the rest of my folio, particularly the 3rd party activities we charged to the room. The method of presentation on the final folio is confusing, but I was able to verify it to the penny, and nothing was added over and above the amounts we authorized. They just break out the total tax and service as separate line items. The mystery I have not been able to resolve is the calculation of our eligible spend. There's no rhyme or reason to that amount.

By any chance, did we meet at the ceviche class on 2/13? There seemed to be several people speaking "Flyertalk" at that class!
I used much less cash than expected - but what cash I did spend was mostly on gratuities and the remainder on a few souvenirs and fresh coconut water from street vendors. Never even saw a colon sadly. Having cash turned out to be a nuisance as our safe stopped working on two occasions during our stay. I was able to track charges on the Hyatt app for the first few days of our stay, but then my stay just stopped appearing. Oddly, when I download my folio from the website- it shows $0 - literally blank space in the charges area. Seems there has never been any definable rhyme or reason to the eligible spend calculation - I asked the same question a few years ago here.

And yes, we did take the ceviche class at Ostra - the impromptu show by the family of monkeys above the pool afterwards was a great end to the event!
DealDetective likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
We just got back and used Maleku Tours. It was a great choice for us, as we did not leave the peninsula the entire time we were there. The charge was $120 cash round trip for a large private van transfer. They secure the reservation with a credit card, but assess a 5% surcharge if you pay with that credit card. It's a family business and Eugenia was a real gem. With our booking confirmation she gave us clear directions about avoiding the guys in the airport and coming straight out the terminal where we found her holding a nice sign with our name. She helped us with our luggage and led us to a clean transport van and offered us chilled water before taking us to a Soda for a traditional Costa Rican lunch. She shared with us information about the area and answered all our questions. When it was time for us to leave, she arrived right on schedule and we made a stop at a souvenir shop for coffee and souvenirs, as well as sandwiches to go for the plane. There was no additional charge for these stops. The company also offers private tours of various attractions in which they will pick you up from Andaz. While we did not take any tours, it would be a good option if you don't want to drive. When we return, we will use them again without hesitation.
+1 for Maleku - we used them last year for airport and tours and they were great. Going next week and booked with them again!
DealDetective likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:50 pm

I'm just back from a stay here (on points as a non-elite) and wanted to reiterate a few great tips I saw earlier in the forum:

1. If you're going to rent a car, I highly recommend going through National. Had a seamless experience, and by reserving a car through the Costa Rica website, I was able to get an exact estimate (including required liability coverage) that matched what I was ultimately charged. (~$95 for 3 days for an automatic economy rental.)

2. Rincon de la Vieja was an easy daytrip on good roads. There's just one extremely short (like, 500 feet) unpaved part. I personally found the $15 entry fee to be a bit steep for what you get on the ~2mi loop walk, but YMMV.

3. The resort emails you a couple of days beforehand to request your arrival times and other info. When booking on points, the default room is "forest view," but in my response to the resort note, I requested a gulf-view room high up on the hill, and got one. (So my tip is, even if you have no Hyatt status just ask nicely for what you want -- who knows, you might get it.)

And I'll add a tip I haven't seen here: There's a seemingly new electric bikeshare available that allows you to ride all over the peninsula for free. You can pick up at the Andaz and then dock at the Four Seasons, Prieta Beach, the Andaz Beach Club, etc. Yes, most of us are on vacation so we don't have to break a sweat but if you're into cycling, this can be a fun way to get around. Do note that while the bikes provide a boost up the hills, you'll still have to work pretty hard to get up the steepest ones. It only provides so much power.
CLG, GK8 and mharlan100 like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:50 am

Random Question: We are staying at this hotel at the end of this month (in a Bay View Suite). Does the TV in the rooms accept a FIRESTICK (or FIRETV)

I know some hotels limit the inputs on the TV and just wondering if I'm going to run into any problem. I have not had problem using the firestick in Hyatt's in Mexico but this past weekend I stayed in a Hyatt in California and the pesky INPUT BOXES wasnt working for me so it has me alittle worried

Can anyone confirm that a FireStick (or FireTV) will work on the TV
Old May 16, 2019, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by bdelariva
Random Question: We are staying at this hotel at the end of this month (in a Bay View Suite). Does the TV in the rooms accept a FIRESTICK (or FIRETV)

I know some hotels limit the inputs on the TV and just wondering if I'm going to run into any problem. I have not had problem using the firestick in Hyatt's in Mexico but this past weekend I stayed in a Hyatt in California and the pesky INPUT BOXES wasnt working for me so it has me alittle worried

Can anyone confirm that a FireStick (or FireTV) will work on the TV
yes! They even have all the tv attachments including hdmi routes to a different part of the wall so you can get to them easier
Old May 29, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: Hyatt
Taking Andaz Papagayo questions

Headed to the Andaz in a few days. A week into a vacay here in Costa Rica. Been cloudy and rainy past few days. Having a great time. Many things changed but much the same since my last visit 10+ years ago. Feel free to asks questions and I will answer as best I can on the main Andaz thread. I rented a car and drove around so can shed some light on that as well. Was at Tabacon and the Four seasons also.

Hope this is proper forum etiquette. I didnt want to clutter main thread with questions.

cheers
Old May 29, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Nice offer!

how long was the drive from Tabacon to the Andaz?

paved all the way? Was it a winding road?

thanks!!
Old May 30, 2019, 6:56 pm

i just got back from 5 nights reward stay over Memorial day weekend and want to add a few observations

1) Marina Diva Bar - no longer have Taco Tuesdays. Instead, they have daily specials for a dish and a drink. Food was less expensive but the fact that kids doesn't eat free may ended up costing more than the resort.

2) We rented a car and drove around to eat, shopping, visited Coco beach and couple of parks. Driving is easily and the roads were no worse than country roads in the states. We also drove back late in the dark and didn't think it was a big deal. We did notice sometime Google maps is off while Waze is correct then sometime Waze is off and Google maps is correct.

3) Mosquitoes were every where and everyone got bitten at least 4 to 5 times.

4) It is in a rain forest so be prepared for some wildlife encounters. Some monkeys swing by in afternoon and stole food off our 3rd floor balcony. They also peed on the balcony but room service came quickly and cleaned it. Later during our stay, some type of forest rodent got into the room of one of our party at night and they had to call staff to get rid of it. It wasn't mice or rat, so I didn't think it was big deal but the hotel manager apologized and comp everybody free breakfast and offered a free suit upgrade.

5) The beaches and the water are a little chilly and it rained 4 to 5 hours everyday so i wont try to plan activities around the rain. The resort have a plethora of bright colored umbrellas everywhere so no need to pack one.

6) Service were great and everyone was super friendly. We didn't experience any of the slow service that others have mentioned.

7) Unless you have kids that love animals, skip the Safari tour and instead ask the shuttle driver to take you to the highest point. The highest point is by Hole number 3 on the golf course and there is a good chance you're run into some holler monkeys along the way.

8) Sign up for all the classes you can, well worth the money.

Overall it was great stay, the resort was amusing. The landscape remind us of Kaui in many ways. It wasn't packed at all over Memorial day weekend and we oftentimes had the whole beach and pool to ourselves. Which is great and weird at the same time.
escape4 and nittanylion1 like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Andaz is in a “tropical dry forest, not a rain forest.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt
I drove to and from Tabacon. 3.5 hours each way. Most of road is paved and easy to drive. There was just one stretch being repaved. Its just a two lane road most of the way so you will be driving behind, fast locals, slow tourists, and even slower buses and semis. Passing when necessary or letting others pass seemed to be the local rule of the road. There are no signs for main highways. In fact highway 142 starts off as just a road through the town of Canas. I missed the turn into it and had to turn around. Waze helps. Should have used from the get go. Rained some on the drive to Tabacon and then like crazy on the way back to Andaz. Never drove in rain like that before. A true eco-adventure experience. Just know that these are well worn tourist paths. You won’t be doing any hard trailblazing. So dont hesitate to drive. Send me a pm and I can give more detailed info.

Great globalist recognition at checkin and suite upgrade. Nice room decorations and a bottle of bubbly for our anniversary/globalist welcome. Live cover band tonight at Rio Bongo singing top 40 hits. Will try to post more useful info later. What do people want to know? Perhaps pro/con comparison to the Four Seasons?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.