FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Peninsula Papagayo (Costa Rica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1533742-andaz-peninsula-papagayo-costa-rica-review-master-thread.html)

TKKY Mar 5, 2014 6:36 am

Originally Posted by healthnut (Post 22465610)
I may head over the rental car forums for this, but if anyone is familiar with Costa Rica specifically, maybe they can answer... Chase is sending me the coverage that comes with CSP (VS) and stated that it is solely secondary liability. Does anyone know if, and if so how much, this will take care of the additional liability fees?

$15-20/day doesn't add much to the total, but I want to know what I'm getting into so I'm not stunned at Avis and can somewhat know what I'm talking about. :)

From what I understand, for Avis, is that I will still have to pay for ALI protection, but my CSP will cover the rest. Correct or way off?

I really don't think there's such a thing as secondary liabiilty. I think what you've been talking about is property damage coverage.

healthnut Mar 5, 2014 6:42 am

Originally Posted by TKKY (Post 22465904)
I really don't think there's such a thing as secondary liabiilty. I think what you've been talking about is property damage coverage.

This is what I received from Chase:

Thank you for contacting Chase about the Auto Rental
Benefit on your account.

Please note your account provides secondary coverage for
damage due to collision or theft up to the actual cash
value of most rental cars, when renting for up to 31
consecutive days in the U.S. When renting outside the
U.S., coverage is primary. You must secure and charge the
entire eligible rental to your card, and decline the
Collision Damage Waiver / Loss Damage Waiver offered by
the rental agency. Coverage is provided to you and other
authorized drivers as permitted by the rental contract.
Additional terms and conditions apply. For more
information or to file a claim, call the Benefit
Administrator at 1-888-320-9961 (outside the U.S. call
collect at 1 804-673-1691).
Looks like I confused liability with coverage. So coverage for property damage, but not ALI coverage.

peteropny Mar 5, 2014 7:49 am

While rental car insurance is of interest in this thread, can we please limit the discussion or take the discussion over to the car rental forums. This discussion has been going on for quite some posts and not really related to the property specifically. Thanks!!

Peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt

ajshin27 Mar 5, 2014 10:05 am

Has anyone stayed here as a Diamond and received free breakfast for more than 3 people? Looks like the max occupancy is 3. Asking because I may invite another couple to have breakfast with us one morning if they can be included. Thanks in advance!

RTW1 Mar 5, 2014 10:15 am

How gracious of you... the free Diamond breakfast has nothing to do with the max occupancy, it's only free for guests registered to your room. The property might be willing to be a little lenient like extending it to a room you are paying for, but that's a courtesy. Extending it to others that have nothing to do with your reservation is pushing it a bit.

ajshin27 Mar 5, 2014 10:43 am

Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 22467244)
How gracious of you... the free Diamond breakfast has nothing to do with the max occupancy, it's only free for guests registered to your room. The property might be willing to be a little lenient like extending it to a room you are paying for, but that's a courtesy. Extending it to others that have nothing to do with your reservation is pushing it a bit.

I'm nice like that :) Thanks for the reply.

TKKY Mar 6, 2014 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny (Post 22466299)
While rental car insurance is of interest in this thread, can we please limit the discussion or take the discussion over to the car rental forums. This discussion has been going on for quite some posts and not really related to the property specifically. Thanks!!

Peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt

I agree that this needs to focus back on the thread - so I'll ask my initial question again. Is it a good plan to not get rental car at this property for a week and rely upon the hotel shuttle and/or taxis to take you to places like (a) a nearby grocery (is there one) and (b) any nearby restaurants? I heard there's a grocery by the marina. Is it decent or are we talking about a 1000 square foot convenience store?

Thanks.

jibi Mar 6, 2014 7:17 pm

Based on TA reviews of the Andaz, Hilton, and Four Seasons, there are a number of options in Playas Del Coco (Coco Beach), including AutoMercado (upscale) and El Super Luperon (not upscale). Playas Del Coco will be about 20 minutes round trip out of the way from the airport, so be sure to hit it up on your way to the hotel if it is an option and you don't want to come back. I can't find any sort of definitive information about restaurants, but it appears this is also the same situation unless you want to eat at one of the restaurants at the Andaz or nearby resorts.

Jay00848 Mar 8, 2014 5:38 pm

Does anyone have pictures of the hotel? We are heading there in beginning of May. Got a rate of $229 a night elite rate

healthnut Mar 8, 2014 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jay00848 (Post 22488907)
Does anyone have pictures of the hotel? We are heading there in beginning of May. Got a rate of $229 a night elite rate

Check out Tripadvisor... There's quite a few reviews and personal photos.

jibi Mar 8, 2014 11:51 pm

Which days will some of you early May travelers be there? We're there from 5/2-5/6. I'm trying to figure out which activities/excursions to do, so any ideas would be helpful. :)

healthnut Mar 9, 2014 8:50 am

Originally Posted by jibi (Post 22490273)
Which days will some of you early May travelers be there? We're there from 5/2-5/6. I'm trying to figure out which activities/excursions to do, so any ideas would be helpful. :)

We miss you by arriving the 23rd. I've booked an all day excursion with costaricabestrips.com. Great reviews and Ariel sounds very engaging!

dajoip Mar 10, 2014 6:34 am

Originally Posted by jibi (Post 22490273)

We'll actually be there on those exact same dates. I'm trying to figure out the same thing - one or two good excursions, if/how long to rent a car, where to eat, etc etc!

Jay00848 Mar 11, 2014 11:49 am

Andaz Peninsula Papagayo (Costa Rica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

5/9- 5/12. Still figuring out our plans.

jibi Mar 16, 2014 12:23 pm

I believe we've decided not to rent a car, as it really doesn't make sense for our short trip and itinerary. I think we're going to the airport transfer through Ariel's company (the one mentioned by healthnut). I have still not decided on a tour company for our activities, but right now I've reached out to Cosa Rica Issys Tours (Christian, #1 on TA), Costa Rica Best Trips (Ariel, #2 on TA), and Papagayo Vargas Tours (Josta, #3 on TA for LIR). TPG mentioned Herson Segura as another option who appears to be a regular reference among the Hilton and Four Seasons crowds. I may reach out to him tomorrow. Ariel and Josta have been extremely responsive thus far.

I also emailed the Andaz to see if they can get me in touch with the hotel concierge for assistance with planning activities, but I have not heard back from them at this time.

It looks like we're going to visit Playas del Coco and stay around the hotel on our first day... and possibly take a sunset cruise. We're going to do activities for the next two days (likely Arenal on Saturday and snorkeling on Sunday). We will then spend Monday around the hotel... likely spend some time in the spa, as we have an EARLY flight out of LIR on AA (6:10am, which means we get to depart from the Andaz at a ridiculous 3:30am).

The good thing is that it appears most brokered airport transfer services are 24/7 ... and still quite reasonable on the r/t fares (around $125 tops, so be sure to use these services rather than those arranged through the hotel). From reading on FT, it is highly recommended that you pre-purchase the airport exit fee ($29pp) while at the Andaz to a) save you time at the airport and b) to avoid the fee being charged as a "cash advance" by the airport (might as well get some points with multipliers, right?).

Also, for anyone wanting to explore Coco or Hermosa and not renting a car, be sure to do so on your way to the hotel (arrange it with your transfer service, if possible). Taxi fares are about a minimum $60-75 r/t from the resort to those areas. You can factor this into those "They charge THAT MUCH for dinner at the resort?!" type of internal debates. :)

As it seems a number of us are heading down to CR in May, I'm sure this thread will grow quite a bit with useful reports about what to do, what not to do, etc. I pretend to be a novice photographer (aka I take 10,000 photos and play the fairly decent odds that 10 of them will turn out above average), so I will be sure to get a lot of photos, as well. healthnut and Jay00848, be sure to check back as you start preparing for departure. :)