Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Times Square REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by:
Diamond Benefits:
  • No Regency Club; breakfast entrees on the menu at T45
    • Last reported as $34 per person, up to 4 persons.
    • Room service is available as part of the benefit.
  • Amenities (choice of one, as of 3/19/2015)
    • 1,000 points
    • 25-minute massage at the spa
    • 2 drinks at the T54 rooftop bar

In general:
  • Parking
    • Valet: $64/night
    • Self: LOL
    • Street: LOLOL
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Centric Times Square REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:22 am
Original Poster

My Elite Rate can only be pulled up without any special offers, codes, or rates online. Most rates are eligible for 2K GP from Feb2 to Mar31....
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
No late breaking news or new insights here, but I have stayed there now. One of the better check-in experiences in a long time. Lobby staff interaction really great. At least told it was an upgrade and as high in the hotel as we were I suppose it was. Room is modern minimalist industrial (which isn't really me). Very quiet but we were high.

Diamond breakfast in the "diner" was comped for two entrees, juice, and tea. Good but very novell menu. (You can decide for yourself if that is good or bad, but might want to pre-shop the menu). Server Lizzie T was great. She had just the perfect New York look and personality to be working in a "diner". I can't decide if I want to adopt her or introduce her to my son.

Funny thing I think already mentioned in passing was the room clock. No fancy iPod docking station that is impossible to set and is probably already broken. Just a small battery clock that must be considered disposable. I resisted the urge to throw it in, but bet they go through a case of then a week. Should probably buy me one as a backup.

The elevators were lightning once you got one. (Getting one sometimes was a problem). The bath reminded me of 48 Lex with darker tile.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by jayer
Funny thing I think already mentioned in passing was the room clock. No fancy iPod docking station that is impossible to set and is probably already broken. Just a small battery clock that must be considered disposable. I resisted the urge to throw it in, but bet they go through a case of then a week. Should probably buy me one as a backup.
Great catch! I forgot to mention how happy I was not to have to wrestle with clock/radio or its modern cousins.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt
Thinking of using a diamond suite upgrade for a stay this coming weekend. Does anyone have any recent experiences with using one at this property?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trivea
Thinking of using a diamond suite upgrade for a stay this coming weekend. Does anyone have any recent experiences with using one at this property?
well, recent as now, given it's just a month old, this property has a suite on each floor but not all floors are yet open. Suites are very nice and the same despite 3 names in reservation system (only "corner" are used for certificate redemption). Suite has a nice bedroom with a wardrobe, leather bench that can be used as luggage rack, colorful swiveling armchair, book/mag table, full size TV and is separated from the living room by two sliding doors. The living room has a pull-out leather couch, working desk, coffee table two floor lamps, another full size TV and a chest of drawers with a mini fridge and coffee machine as well. The bathroom is off the hallway as is another coat closet (that has a motion sensor light). Overall, we were very pleased with the suite as it allows two people to function independently without disturbing each other if one's asleep. The blackout curtains do their job, and windows block off most of the street noise. The mattress although on a firmer side is fine and the duvet and pillows are very nice. So the suite even with a single bathroom does consist of two separate rooms and is a good use of a Diamond upgrade certificate.

This hotel is one of the new breed of Hyatts. They have this card in the room that shows what can be delivered to you, such as cotton buds, shower caps, tea packets, bathrobes, slippers, SHOWER GEL, among other items, things that we still take for granted. There is no room service and their diner closes at 10pm during the week (11 on weekends) despite the message on TV greeting you as being in the "heart of the Big Apple". There is obviously no lounge with San Pellegrino or fruit, and the two PCs for guest use off the front desk will charge you $6 for 15 mins (not unlike HYATT Mag Mile in Chicago). And there is no traditional Diamond amenity. The last time I checked they offered cufflinks or purse-hook.

Overall, the decor is pleasing with splash of color on carpets, decorative panel behind TV inspired by NYC map, and furniture which for once and unlike the nearby Andaz is really comfy. The design is lacking in some respects, for example, the work desk has 2 power outlets smack in the middle of it where one would put a PC. The chest of drawers are of poor quality and are very narrow, and do not open widely. The night cabinets have drawers that are not real drawers, but when open extend the surface of the table. Forget the Geneva radio (now that's something worth having home!), and forget nice bed throws that Grand Hyatt has had until recently when they stopped offering them in each room (due to guests apparently taking them home).

The shower and wash sink work but water pressure in the shower is not guaranteed. There obviously is no tub, but if you need to wash your small items, the sink is fine. (Or they can deliver "laundry bag" on request). The over-the sink shelf is not a problem as it is much thinner and takes much less space than the ones at Grand Hyatt so you will not be banging your head on them.
The TV does have high-def channels, a limited number of channels overall (no Bloomberg or intnl channels) and premium choice is 4 STARZ channels. The system is configured in a way to see program guide as well as channel preview but does not have an option to connect your mobile through "stayconnect" app.

The quality of diner food is very good depending on what you order - do rely on waiter recommendations! Prices are high though - not sure $12 oatmeal is such good value for money. Service is good. Diamond breakfast needs to be removed by repeatedly reminding the front desk. Gym is spacious, but less impressive that GH gym, but it does have a nice array of free-weights and some kettlebells. It has black rubber floors - completely adequate but not as impressive as the remodeled gym at Hyatt Mag Mile Chicago. Staff is universally good.

Overall, it's a solid choice for Hyatt in New York. Although not as splashy as Andaz Bryant Park, it delivers a great location, and all the basics. Just round the corner from Swatch store at Times Square, and without huge lobbies with stairs and escalators leading to the elevators of Grand Hyatt that take you to the floors the size of city blocks, this Hyatt enables you to be in and out and get to where-ever you need to be in no time. It feels like a great base for "the heart of the Big Apple"

Last edited by LilZeppelin; Jan 14, 2014 at 10:37 am
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt
Great review with lots of useful info. Thanks! I think I'll give the suite upgrade a shot.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Pillows

One thing I forgot to mention in my review was the pillow. There is only 1 pillow type available at this property. Is literally a couple of handful of feathers stuff into a pillow case, well maybe 4 or 5. But the result is a very soft pillow with virtually no support. I have been noticing this trend in some of the hotels I visit lately. But what gets me is that this is all they have - no other choices. For a Cat 6 property I would think they can afford a few more choices. The Andaz 5th down the street have at least 4 types to choose from. And once they know what you like they will make sure you get that in your room on your next visit ^^

So if management is reading this - please go to Macy's on 34th and buy a few different types for your guests.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 5:58 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

[QUOTE=hotelfanatic;22080006]
Originally Posted by K79

I though so too. But that was what I was told during check in. Now if all 4 of us ate, the bill would have been $150
I was told this morning that it was up to $37 per person up to four registered guests per room.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Beware when using a suite upgrade....

So I just checked in here... I booked the room a few weeks ago on the My Elite Rate. I then used a suite upgrade.

At check-in, I was told that I was reserved in a DELUXE KING, which is basically a king room on a higher floor, from what I can tell. I mentioned that I used a suite upgrade and was told that I had been upgraded from the basic room.

Eventually I was offered a suite, but only on the 15th floor, not the higher floor that was on the other E-Check-in that I received. I believe it was on 32.

The suite is fine. I will post pictures later. The view is not the greatest, but at least it is not a brick wall.

The front desk agent, whom was very friendly, but firm... offered me the amenity and the points. As others have stated, the amenity here is a set of Hyatt Times Square cufflinks/pins. They are a cool little souvenir.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Hyatt Times Square REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

As this property is barely 6 weeks old, I'm going to write a brief review:

1. Location - great if you want to be near Times Square, horrible trying to get too. But this is with anything near Times Square in Manhattan. I'm here now and 45th was closed on/off for a good chunk of the day as Homeland security was welding shut manholes for the Superbowl.

2. Entrance/valet - Valet is $60 for the night. Only two spots in front of the hotel so it can be crowded, but valet's are quick to check you in and usher you to the door. Entrance is bright and very clean looking, expected though since it's new. Parking I think is done a few blocks away with Quik Park, so they request a 30 min heads up on valet pickup. Entrance is on 45th between 6th (Ave of Americas) and 7th.

3. Lobby - lobby is small and not much seating area. Concierge desk is around the corner in a narrow hallway which seems odd, near the (individual) bathrooms. But lobby was clean and splashy white. Staff was friendly, very quick check in.

3. Rooms - got a minor upgrade to larger King room (did not use certificate). Modern furniture, very clean (again expected) and definitely comfortable. Nice large LG TV's that have pretty fast channel surfing (huge pet peeve of mine when it is slow to switch channels). Nice computer outlet/charging/AV input at desk and plenty of wall outlets near the bed. Bathroom was spacious and so was the shower - nice faux wood paneling.

4. Service - impeccable. Maybe the staff was bored, but plenty to stand around and help you open the door, welcome you back, and usher you in to the elevator.

5. Noise - really like how it was quiet here, barely any city noise. Was on 30th floor.

6. Food - comped breakfast at downstairs restaurant (T-45). Looks more like a diner/market mix but that seems to be the trend in the industry today. Clean, plenty of offerings. Did not go to the top floor (54th floor) bar.

7. Rates - pretty decent. Less than Andaz, around par to Hyatt Union Square and Grand Hyatt. Definitely prefer here over the run down Grand Hyatt (unless you want a club - which I was put off that they charge for even cheap booze at the GH). But, the GH has slightly better access IMO - and obviously if you're coming in by train.

Anyway, link to the only other existing thread on this place that I could find.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...-new-york.html
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
OK, as promised, here are some pix of the property. I will echo many of the comments above. Not to be redundant, I will just point out the key features that i found of interest....

As mentioned in my prior post, I was able to get the suite certificate honored in an actual suite, not just a larger room.. The suite was on the 15th floor, 1501. Suite was essentially two rooms, with a bath. There is a seating area with sofa, desk, TV. There is a bedroom with King Bed and second TV. There are pocket doors between the two rooms. This is not a large suite, but is comfortable for two people, and maybe a small child.

The bath is small, but modern and well appointed.

The little alarm clock that has become so famous on this thread...

The cufflink Diamond Amenity offered at Check-In.

The breakfast menu.. I found it interesting... Some normal things and a few items thrown in that were fun.

I had the German Breakfast off the Fancy Smacy Menu.. Was pretty good.

The service level is pretty good here. While I like this hotel, I will not say it is my first choice in NYC. It is a quiet little property just off Times Square. I would stay again, but I have a few other properties in the area that would get my first bid.

The suite u/g issue at check-in was def. not a great first impression.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:03 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Stayed here last week. As others have said, hotel is very new and location is good. Starbucks across the street.
Room was OK but nothing extraordinary for a Diamond. It actually reminded me of the room at the new Hyatt Place Manhattan (which I thought was a great room for a Hyatt Place). Had dinner in the restaurant. It was very empty with only a total of three guests. It felt very quiet and a little strange but the food was actually prepared very well and was quite good for a hotel restaurant.
Compared to the Grand Hyatt, this is an absolute oasis.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
My second stay here I was a tad annoyed my car took a good 45 min to be fetched. Especially since it was 5am in the morning, and you'd think the folks at quik part weren't busy. I get it they have to use elevators sometimes, but 45 minutes?

Anyway, not the hotel but something to consider.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by GB
Stayed here last week. As others have said, hotel is very new and location is good. Starbucks across the street.
Room was OK but nothing extraordinary for a Diamond. It actually reminded me of the room at the new Hyatt Place Manhattan (which I thought was a great room for a Hyatt Place). Had dinner in the restaurant. It was very empty with only a total of three guests. It felt very quiet and a little strange but the food was actually prepared very well and was quite good for a hotel restaurant.
Compared to the Grand Hyatt, this is an absolute oasis.
Yeah, seems a bit hit-and-miss. First stay (as a Diamond) we got upgraded to a fairly high corner room with a bit more space and the good bathroom with the floor heating. That was with my +1, and we checked in at the desk.

Second stay I was by myself, checked in on-line (not sure why, in retrospect) and got a normal room a little over half-way up. Okay but nothing extraordinary for a Diamond. If I had been with someone (my wife, say!) and staying the day, I might have pushed to see if they had something like the first stay. Since it was just me and I was heading out in am and not needing room, didn't bother to ask ....
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by GB
Had dinner in the restaurant. It was very empty with only a total of three guests.
GB, was this Wednesday night? I had dinner there on Wednesday night and it was very quiet indeed.

In any event, I have stayed here twice since it opened and I have enjoyed each stay. According to the hotel staff, the top 15-20 floors are not open yet but are expected to be open sometime later in February (along with the rooftop bar). I had a "larger King" each of my two stays with views (sort of) to Times Square. The rooms were both very quiet and comfortable and I thought they were a good size for NYC - plenty of room in the bathroom as well. The staff are all very friendly and warm and welcoming.

It can take a very long time to get an elevator; sometimes it seems that there is only one running for the higher floors. I'm not sure if they're still working on the other two or what's going on.

I haven't had breakfast yet at this property but I did have dinner last week and I thought it was pretty tasty. There were a lot of staff milling around and not nearly enough customers to keep them all occupied. However, they were still friendly and cheerful.

Although I don't typically like staying in Times Square, this hotel is quiet and calm and I plan to keep coming back. So far, the rates have been very reasonable as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.