Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

New Hyatt Gold Passport Features Launching in January 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Stewie Mac
FAQ

Do points+cash bookings count toward earning elite status?
Yes. This includes "Diamond Trials" (in which customers with status at another hotel chain attempt to earn a match with Hyatt).

Does the cash portion of points+cash bookings earn points?
Yes, in the same manner as for paid stays.

Do points+cash bookings count toward current Hyatt promotions?
Yes, P+C stays will be treated as paid stays for purposes of bonus promotions.

Can confirmed suite upgrade certificates be used on points+cash bookings?
Yes. Now confirmed by Gold Passport Concierge here

Will points+cash bookings be exempt from resort fees & taxes?
No. P+C bookings will require the member to pay any applicable fees/taxes, just as with paid stays.
Print Wikipost

New Hyatt Gold Passport Features Launching in January 2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2013, 1:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
Gonna apply status match tomorrow and switch all my US stays from SPG to Hyatt!
Old Nov 18, 2013, 1:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by keepssmile
Gonna apply status match tomorrow and switch all my US stays from SPG to Hyatt!
Why would you do that?

Is there any positive change?

I strongly recommend to take a look at the T&Cs of My Rate, especially the term ´limited amount of rooms available and subject to availability'

Mr.Zidell, once again playing follower and not leader, is blatantly copying a recent change at SPG and tries to sell it as a new super perk.

In reality, it will be more like SPG.

Using today as an example, the Hot Escape RAte is not available at a single SPG Hotel in Germany, the Netherlands or Belgium...

And why should they offer a discount on a strong business day?

My rate will be available on sloooooowwwww days, so instead of the AAA Discount (10-25%) or the Costco Discount (10%) more or less available to everyone, one has another alternative.

Indeed, a very exciting new feature
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
One way of interpreting points and cash is as an opportunity to buy points. Basically, you redeem only half the points needed for a stay in exchange for a small copay. That puts the cost per point purchase price for the following levels at:

Tier 1: 2 cents per point
Tier 2: 1.375 cents per point
Tier 3: 1.25 cents per point
Tier 4: 1.333 cents per point
Tier 5: 1.25 cents per point
Tier 6: 1.2 cents per point
Tier 7: 2 cents per point

That makes tiers 1 and 7 the most expensive purchases.

Of course this needs to be modified by the value of the redeemed room. When deciding between redeeming with points and redeeming with cash and points, I guess the basic rule of thumb is that a cash and points redemption is better if the rate you would otherwise pay is more than twice the copay. If that rate is exactly twice the copay, then the value of the redemption is at the rate I calculated above. In general, one would likely prefer to use cash and points only if the rate you would otherwise pay is significant higher than twice the copay. Tiers 1 and 7 would be the exception given the 2 cents per point purchase price, which would be a decent redemption value.
Thank you for bringing some sense to the discussion.

I normally do not redeem below 3-4 cents, so the new options, while appreciated on paper, will have very little effect on me.

An important question has been asked by Football Fan. I am also waiting for Mr. Zidell´s answer re. my question whether he changed the rule that if a standard room is available it is available for point redemption (my question) or C+P redemption (Football Fan´s question)

So far, this rule only existed on paper and hotels had the possibilty to black-out several periods per year.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:13 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by AJLondon
1 5,000 2,500 + $50 USD
2 8,000 4,000 + $55 USD
3 12,000 6,000 + $75 USD
4 15,000 7,500 + $100 USD
5 20,000 10,000 + $125 USD
6 25,000 12,500 + $150 USD
7 30,000 15,000 + $300 USD
Great... Somehow I'm not jumping with joy when just a few days ago I could have been spending 22k points and now it's 15k + $300.

I guess there's a reason for waiting a few days with getting another change to us. The only good thing is that it's another choice, that does give stay credit and probably (?) be eligible for promotions.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by FD1971
Thank you for bringing some sense to the discussion.

I normally do not redeem below 3-4 cents, so the new options, while appreciated on paper, will have very little effect on me.

An important question has been asked by Football Fan. I am also waiting for Mr. Zidell´s answer re. my question whether he changed the rule that if a standard room is available it is available for point redemption (my question) or C+P redemption (Football Fan´s question)

So far, this rule only existed on paper and hotels had the possibilty to black-out several periods per year.
I would imagine that the Points + Cash availability is really dependent of the hotel, as is the case with SPG:

9. Points + Cash awards are subject to availability and reservations using these awards must be made in advance by calling a Hyatt Worldwide Reservation Center. Member must pay the Points + Cash rate and redeem required point value to redeem award. Room rate is based on double occupancy and standard guestroom accommodations, unless otherwise noted. Limited number of rooms may be allocated for these awards, and availability may vary by hotel. Points + Cash awards are not valid at Hyatt Zilara, Hyatt Ziva or M life resorts. Promotional blackout periods may apply due to seasonal periods or special events.
Regular award rooms:

3. Hyatt Gold Passport Free Night Awards apply when standard rooms are available at the Hyatt Daily Rate. Standard rooms are defined by each hotel and are not subject to blackout dates. Hyatt Gold Passport Free Night Awards cannot be redeemed for packages.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by holtju2

Regular award rooms:
We all know that this is not case, as hotels are certainly given some leeway..., at least twice a year.

If this would change and so far one could Interpret Mr. Zidell´s comment in the other thread this way, one could actually speak of a real new and exciting perk.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RTW1
I guess there's a reason for waiting a few days with getting another change to us. The only good thing is that it's another choice, that does give stay credit and probably (?) be eligible for promotions.
From a strategic point of view, this is actually an interesting question.

Why would you wait and allow the Internet to bash your department for a whole week, if you have something 'exciting' in your sleeve?

Or were they actually already aware of the fact that the changes are pretty mediocre?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most

Why would you wait and allow the Internet to bash your department for a whole week, if you have something 'exciting' in your sleeve?

Or were they actually already aware of the fact that the changes are pretty mediocre?
Maybe they were busy tallying up the number of new Hyatt credit card holders after successful campaign?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC

Or from my completely naive point of view: Because they don't care what a few freaks on the travel forums think and say. They always bash for the one or other reason. The waves will go away.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
Why would you do that?
I stayed at 15+ SPG U.S. properties this year, and haven't received any room upgrade. Zero.
The Hyatt C+P ratio is very reasonable.
After the massive devaluation, now SPG has a C+P rate with cash portion approximately 2 cent per point minus $15 per night. I value SPG points at roughly 2 cents per point, so the C+P isn't that much different from regular points redemption. But Hyatt redemption rate is way better, and you may get more sources getting Hyatt points:
Stay: 3 SPG points as Plat v. 6.5 points as Diamond
C/I Amenity: 250 - 500 v. 500 - 1000 points
Others: Amex MR: 3:1 v. Chase UR: 1:1.

I am not very familiar with Hyatt so correct me if I'm wrong. Now the problem is the availability...
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:29 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Jeff,

I am looking to move more nights toward Hyatt because of this move and am contemplating a Hyatt Diamond challenge. Would C&P nights count toward the challenge? They earn elite credit ...
Old Nov 18, 2013, 6:16 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
Excited to see that cash+points will count toward the 50day/25 stay Diamond requalification. Of course, SPG counts all award stays, but then again at Hyatt we have advantages here and there.
Hyatt used to do so until a couple of years ago.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 6:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by holtju2
Maybe they were busy tallying up the number of new Hyatt credit card holders after successful campaign?
Completely forgot this battlefield, Hyatt seem to fight on too many frontiers these days.

Anyway..., regarding the tally of the new Hyatt credit card holders.

Do they measure it in Platinum or Diamonds?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 6:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by keepssmile
I stayed at 15+ SPG U.S. properties this year, and haven't received any room upgrade. Zero.
The Hyatt C+P ratio is very reasonable.
After the massive devaluation, now SPG has a C+P rate with cash portion approximately 2 cent per point minus $15 per night. I value SPG points at roughly 2 cents per point, so the C+P isn't that much different from regular points redemption. But Hyatt redemption rate is way better, and you may get more sources getting Hyatt points:
Stay: 3 SPG points as Plat v. 6.5 points as Diamond
C/I Amenity: 250 - 500 v. 500 - 1000 points
Others: Amex MR: 3:1 v. Chase UR: 1:1.

I am not very familiar with Hyatt so correct me if I'm wrong. Now the problem is the availability...
Thank you for the calculation.

My point total at SPG is adding up fast since the devaluation, I seldomly find any hotel worth redeeming at.

Re. Upgrades I cannot share your pain, although the US is notoriously difficult, I am doing much better in years with more stays in Continental Europe.

Finding availabilty was never really a problem with Hyatt, aside from the usual problems during high demand periods and the fact that they blocked out high demand periods.

Thanks again for the new perspective. It is quite interesting to read another 'objective' opinion in a sea of complaints, which are biased due to the old redemption levels. ^
Old Nov 18, 2013, 6:58 am

I was pretty excited by My Elite Rate until I combed through the fine print and discovered Limited number of rooms allocated to this promotion..

I was about to bite the bullet and switch my stays to Hyatt... Now I gotta hang around this forum to see how My Elite Rate works and if it is worthwhile before I jump in with both feets...

If only that line did not exist~~

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.