Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Gold Passport Award Chart Update Effective January 7, 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I think the Cat 7 is completely uncalled for.

A 10-15% price hike across the board would have been reasonable IMHO. Not talking if that would be more beneficial for the single member but it would be a fair spread.

This change exclusively penalized the members who stay at higher end properties. Which is not really fair especially if the member in question acquired the points at higher end properties as well.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:58 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

This whole thing really has nothing to do with being fair.... Did you notice not a single reason was given for the changes. They simply feel they can get away with it....

The only mildly decent thing about it is they told us a few months before implementation.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Biggest problem for me is the 6000 point per night for a suite. When it's 3000 point for club room, I really feel it should be 3000 point per night for diamond members to a suite (although preferred the 6000 point total). The points increase at the top end is too high, but why on earth would anyone use points at PH Tokyo - it's not expensive anyway compared to many other Park Hyatts and definitely doesn't need to be cat 7. There again, Andaz London is now cat 6, so one of the worst use of points for weekend stays. PH Maldives is a big surprise (still being cat. 6). 3 nights in a suite in a top cat. hotel is now prohibitive, which is a shame. Maybe it's time to use our points for 5 months in cat. 1 hotel (would save a ton on rent!).
Old Nov 11, 2013, 8:40 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
with the yen being so devalued, using points at PHT would be a waste. My question is, where is PH Maldives... why no category change? Are they going to leave it at 6, or take it out of points altogether?
I suspect the remoteness of the property has something to do with it. There may simply not be as many redemptions here as say, PH Paris or Tokyo. And occupancy at this property may not be as high as at other PHs, which affects how much GP needs to reimburse the property for award stays.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 8:40 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by price123
Biggest problem for me is the 6000 point per night for a suite. When it's 3000 point for club room, I really feel it should be 3000 point per night for diamond members to a suite (although preferred the 6000 point total). The points increase at the top end is too high, but why on earth would anyone use points at PH Tokyo - it's not expensive anyway compared to many other Park Hyatts and definitely doesn't need to be cat 7. There again, Andaz London is now cat 6, so one of the worst use of points for weekend stays. PH Maldives is a big surprise (still being cat. 6). 3 nights in a suite in a top cat. hotel is now prohibitive, which is a shame. Maybe it's time to use our points for 5 months in cat. 1 hotel (would save a ton on rent!).
Some of the category changes does not make much sense. PH Beaver Creek in Cat 7 - yes its expensive in the winter but really cheap in the summer.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by peteropny
Some of the category changes does not make much sense. PH Beaver Creek in Cat 7 - yes its expensive in the winter but really cheap in the summer.
Fully concur. :-: However, I would be shocked if any redeems at PHBC outside of ski season even at current category 6.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by peteropny
I thought the same thing. Peak rates are sure high, but drop significantly at times. PH Tokyo is also surprising, because it is generally bookable for under $500.

Category 5 seems more appropriate for Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe. I don't quite know why it was classified a category 6 in the first place.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Originally Posted by RTW1
This whole thing really has nothing to do with being fair.... Did you notice not a single reason was given for the changes. They simply feel they can get away with it....

The only mildly decent thing about it is they told us a few months before implementation.

The silly thing is that the can get away with it. It won't have negative consequences for them because most people won't leave the Hyatt chain
Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
The silly thing is that the can get away with it. It won't have negative consequences for them because most people won't leave the Hyatt chain
I am, I am tired of being bullied. The prime benefit (4sug) you have to pay rack. No other chain does that. I just booked 3 spg nights in dc, aaa $102, and used sug nights. Now they devalue suite points by 300%. Should we talk about loss of g bonus, plus sparing promos

I had 12 nights booked through end of the year. Cancelled last 10 after I hit the 50k bonus
Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by etsmyers
I am, I am tired of being bullied. The prime benefit (4sug) you have to pay rack. No other chain does that. I just booked 3 spg nights in dc, aaa $102, and used sug nights.
Not happy with the Hyatt changes either but if you are trying to say that with SPG you can book a AAA rate and then use your suite upgrades....that is simply not true....wish is was but it isn't.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, ProrityClub
Ouch ...this is not fair

Originally Posted by J. Zidell, VP Hyatt Gold Passport
Dear FlyerTalkers,

As you know, Hyatt and the Hyatt Gold Passport program continue to grow and evolve, and from time to time we need to make programmatic changes. We don’t take these decisions lightly, and we do our very best to make sure that we communicate changes as quickly as possible to minimize the impact on your future travel plans. Today, I wanted to let you know about a set of Award Chart changes that will take place on January 7, 2014.

We are introducing a new Category 7, which includes six Park Hyatt hotels in Beaver Creek, Milan, Paris, Sydney, Tokyo and Zurich, and requires 30,000 points. We are also changing the number of points required to redeem a Free Night Award for standard rooms and upgraded rooms in select categories.

In addition, 38 hotels are shifting between categories. This includes 21 hotels moving to a higher category and 17 hotels moving to a lower category. Existing reservations for stays starting January 7, 2014, will receive a refund for the point difference if the hotel moved to a lower category.
Lastly, the points required to upgrade your paid stay to a Regency®/Grand Club® room or suite will now be on a per-night basis.

As always, we will continue to make redemption as easy as possible with no blackout dates. And if we have a standard room available at any location, on any day of the year, you’re more than welcome to reserve it with your Hyatt Gold Passport points.

Please navigate to this url for more information...

http://hyatthotels.hyatt.com/content...t-changes.html

I wish you safe travels.

With my warmest personal regards,

Jeff Zidell
Senior Vice President, Hyatt Gold Passport

To increase the points for the suite upgrade from 6000 for up to 4 nights to 6000 per night can't be serious, can it ? That increase is way too high. Will be get more vouchers than in return as being Diamond member ?? so 12 per year instead of 4 ?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
The silly thing is that they can get away with it. It won't have negative consequences for them because most people won't leave the Hyatt chain
How is that silly? That's exactly why they're doing it.

The company is doing well, occupancy rates are up, and loyalty doesn't mean anything as long as money is being made.

Someone far smarter than myself once said that loyalty programs are not meant to reward past purchases but rather to influence future spend. I agree with that, especially when economic situations are improving and the cost of replacing a lost customer is relatively low. As long as the impact on aggregate future spend is low or non-existent, then there's nothing to stop Hyatt from seeing how far they can lower their exposure to already printed points.

BTW - Hyatt GP is my preferred program and it will continue as such. These changes are not fun, but the program is still a good one in my opinion.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'm both very disappointed that this has happened and surprised that it's taken this long. Having said that, this is a devaluation that will be felt most by those who collect most of their points via Hyatt stays. While it remains possible to earn 5.35 GP per dollar spent (using Chase Ink) this is still a rewards program that works well for others - it may not work as well as before, but it's still easier to rack up the points in GP than in SPG.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia

I wonder what took so long? I am not happy but I think it's fair. Fewer people redeeming means more open rooms for folks with decent point balances.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by christianj
Not happy with the Hyatt changes either but if you are trying to say that with SPG you can book a AAA rate and then use your suite upgrades....that is simply not true....wish is was but it isn't.
I could even use them with reward nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.