Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos REVIEW-MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: switchyj
Few handy links:

E-concierge website (also includes spa, activities & add-ons prices).
https://loscabosziva.hyatte-concierge.com/

Playa resort website (often has different offers/promotions that are not mentioned on Hyatt website + more details about the hotel rooms, amenities & activities)
http://www.playaresorts.com/Hyatt-Ziva-Los-Cabos

Hotel official website
http://loscabos.ziva.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

Facebook page (they post every other day on it)
https://www.facebook.com/HyattZivaLosCabos

Tripadvisor page
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g152516-d469312
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos REVIEW-MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)
Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
on sunday, we checked in. when making the reservation, and again at check-in, there was never any notification that a EMC corporate event was going to be taking place. to say it has taken over the entire property would not be an exaggeration. sun night, after dinner, the only way to walk back to our room was through the EMC cocktail party which was occupying the entire main pool, and was apparently exclusively reserved for their use. they had light displays, etc, going on, and our 8yo daughter stopped for literally 2 mins to watch the display. an EMC employee grabbed her by the arm and told her she had to leave as it was "an EMC adults only party." I literally could not believe it. I told him we were just coming back from dinner, and this was the only way back to our room. He said, "I don't care." Security soon came, and at first, the hotel sided with the EMC employee, until I made it clear we were just coming from dinner and they could confirm that with the restaurant, that we weren't trying to crash anyone's party, and most importantly, that the guy grabbed our daughter and that no guest should ever put their hands on another guest, much less a child.

the following morning, i met with the director of operations. they apologized and gave us 40,000 points for the way the situation was handled. they also assured us that there would be no more EMC events during the duration of their corporate stay, which ends tomorrow.

however, yesterday, my gf and i went to the tequila bar to have a drink, and were informed that the space was currently being occupied by EMC and that we couldn't sit down.

today, a sound stage has been erected on the beach, the entire beach has been cordoned off, and sound checks have been blaring since 11am, as EMC is apparently hiring Gavin DeGraw to perform for EMC employees exclusively.

in the time i have been here, i have met probably 9-10 EMC couples, and all of them were shocked that we were not with EMC. in fact, they all thought that EMC had rented out the entire property, and even admitted they would be pissed if they had shown up at the property and had to deal with the EMC event if they were not part of the group.

children have been made to feel unwelcome, despite the fact the property bills itself as a family resort, and promotes their kids pool and kids club in their photographs and literature. EMC has put up large pinatas around the property, and anytime a kid sees them and asks if there will be a pińata contest, they are informed it is for EMC guests only. it has gotten to the point, that when we walk into the buffet, we are tempted to half-jokingly ask whether "the plates and silverware are for EMC guests only and we need to eat with our hands."

the hotel has pandered to EMC at every turn, seemingly letting them have full reign of the property. if they want to monopolize the entire property, they should have had to pay for the entire property. to dump on other guests like this with ridiculous restrictions and inconveniences is reprehensible. EMC has even hired someone to reserve all of the pool chairs in the morning, so you need to wake up at 6am to get a chair beside the pool, as their chair monopolizer shows up around 6:40 (i literally saw it with my own eyes). and after 7pm, it is clear that the entire main area of the hotel is solely for the enjoyment of EMC.

this was our daughter's spring break, and I and another couple who are in another room, have been treated like second class citizens during the duration of our stay, as have the other families not with EMC. while catering to the EMC guests, who have zero hyatt loyalty, and are here on their company's dime, they have ignored loyal hyatt guests who paid good money to be here. it has been an absolute joke.

the sad thing is, it is a beautiful property, we have enjoyed the food, etc., but if there is a corp event taking place, you will be left feeling like you are sitting in the back of the bus.
We had the exact same situation at Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall. Some kind of pyramid scheme candle company literally took over the entire resort. All the cocktail napkins throughout the restaurants and bars had the company's logo. It was beyond tacky.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 1:19 pm

I'll be staying here next week for a couple days and will share how it goes. Hopefully the previous comments won't be repeated.

Any recommendations on a shuttle from/to the airport? The hotel recommends a company that is $28/person. Any one try anything else?
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
FWIW- our last 2 days at the hotel were very nice and were exactly what we thought we would be enjoying for our week at the property. once EMC left, the hotel had the feel of the tranquil, relaxing oasis we were hoping to experience. however, our compensatory points have still not posted to my account.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 2:37 pm

did the policy just changed recently? I was told regardless of age , if booking with points , an extra 10000 will apply...VS before unless child is age 3 or older ??
Old Apr 21, 2016, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Furyleader
did the policy just changed recently? I was told regardless of age , if booking with points , an extra 10000 will apply...VS before unless child is age 3 or older ??
No policy has not changed. I was told this when trying to book over new years holiday, so perhaps they are trying to enforce it over special weekends. However, I was able to email with front desk and hyatt conceirge to ensure booking was made with children under 3 listed in the reservation without having to shell out the additional 10,000 for them.
Old May 6, 2016, 9:41 pm

How does the Ziva Suite compared to a Ziva Master Double other than it's bigger and it has 1 King instead of two double beds? Can they connect these two rooms together? or at least put them next to each other?

Hotel website doesn't seem to provide much detailed except it mentioned Ziva Suite is located conveniently to the playground area, well, that isn't what we would be looking for.

What does a DSU upgrade the room to? Someone mentioned back in January he got a two bedroom ocean view unit.

Last edited by frenchie2; May 6, 2016 at 9:54 pm
Old May 7, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, National EE
Has anyone rented a car at SJD and driven to the resort? How is the drive? Any safety concerns other than the obvious?

I booked a rental car for $18 (three days) and the wife is nervous.
Old May 7, 2016, 2:02 pm

iherebyresign - Roads are safe and decently maintained. You and wife should have no concerns about renting a car and driving anywhere along the corridor. If going into downtown Cabo San Lucas park in the mall parking structure (or any white curb). However, note the $18 for three days surely does not include insurance. You will be required by to buy liability insurance (Mexican law from my understanding). Inquire with your provider what that cost will be. You should also have physical damage insurance, but hopefully you have a credit card that offers that free of charge as primary.
Old May 8, 2016, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Yeah, the minimal insurance they're going to make you buy adds significantly to that figure- that or you'll need to take proof of insurance and be ready for a whopping huge multi-thousand dollar hold on your credit card (seriously, they'll do a 3-5k hold).
Old May 9, 2016, 6:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, National EE
Thanks for the advice. I've dealt with similar scenarios when renting in Costa Rica. The mandatory insurance was about $13/day. Do you know how much it is in Mexico?
Old May 9, 2016, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
When I looked it was around $15 a day, plus the taxes, etc. on top of it get added to make it more like $20.

I'm going down to SJD over Labor Day and staying at the Hyatt... Place in San Jose and thought about renting a car because WOW THREE BUCKS A DAY... then when I added the insurance it got to be less of a good deal. Since I mostly want to spend the full day I'm there puttering around the old town, I'll just bus it.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 11, 2016 at 4:07 pm
Old May 10, 2016, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by frenchie2
What does a DSU upgrade the room to? Someone mentioned back in January he got a two bedroom ocean view unit.
The standard DSU upgrade is to a Club OV Master King or Double. I would not anticipate anything more. We reserved 2 rooms, one using a DSU, so our confirmation was for a Club OV Master King and Double. At check-in, we were told our Club OV Master King was upgraded to an OV 1 Bedroom Master Suite. It connected to our Club OV Master Double, so we effectively had a very nice 2 bedroom suite on the top floor of building 3 as close to Ocean Front as you could get. Again, I wouldn't expect it, but they do seem to make an effort to take care of Diamonds.
Old May 25, 2016, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by flyer121
We had the exact same situation at Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall. Some kind of pyramid scheme candle company literally took over the entire resort. All the cocktail napkins throughout the restaurants and bars had the company's logo. It was beyond tacky.
That's funny ... we had the same thing happen at Ziva Los Cabos with group of Mazda dealers. They were all older guys, the pool area got pretty creepy.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:03 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
Any idea what a lowly Platinum can expect when booking a standard room?

Part of the time on a corporate meeting rate, part of the time using award night certificate. Would love to request a quiet area far away from children but with the best view that I might be able to request. Do not want one of the swim up rooms, those seem to have no privacy.

Do they have a concierge contact you a few days prior to check in?
Old May 26, 2016, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by TxTrav
Do they have a concierge contact you a few days prior to check in?
No, but if you have any special requests or want to book activities in advance, you can email them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.