Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos REVIEW-MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: switchyj
Few handy links:

E-concierge website (also includes spa, activities & add-ons prices).
https://loscabosziva.hyatte-concierge.com/

Playa resort website (often has different offers/promotions that are not mentioned on Hyatt website + more details about the hotel rooms, amenities & activities)
http://www.playaresorts.com/Hyatt-Ziva-Los-Cabos

Hotel official website
http://loscabos.ziva.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

Facebook page (they post every other day on it)
https://www.facebook.com/HyattZivaLosCabos

Tripadvisor page
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g152516-d469312
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos REVIEW-MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2022, 9:21 pm

Programs: Globallist
[QUOTE=SharkyTheArchae;34509874]Thanks for the confirmation. So, basically, I guess, as Globalist, if offered the standard suite upgrade to the Ziva Suite, I would just refuse since I prefer a balcony I can lounge in some of the time. I just booked the Master King. The "One Bedroom Master Suite" is listed as a premium suite so that's out. Hopefully, at the time of check in, I can charm my way to the next rung up.[/QUOTEyes. Balcony is key here. Most balconies are good size. Try ocean front. If not. Pool view is good as well. Only time we would take the Ziva suite is if we wanted space between two beds Not just a QN/QN room. Maybe you can talk yourself into a one bedroom. Good luck! It’s 50/50. All their rooms are above average imo for all inclusive resorts. They’re not old. Many resorts in Cabo are older.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by creativeguess1
handful of thoughts for you.

Cabo rates recently have been really high, compared to past 2 or 3 years. Hyatt Ziva is a great upper middle of the road all inclusive. I’d say it’s one of the better”all inclusives” food/rooms in Cabo. For the property being built “new” in the past ten years, location is the trade off. Not a great beach.

hyatt recently, past 12 months(?), has added 7 properties to their portfolio in Cabo. Before that it was the Ziva, Hyatt place and authentic Thompson only.

the # of people you put in, will give you total cost, not per person.

here’s our hack. We land usually 2-4 pm. We’ve never taken an Uber from the airport, not sure if they allow Uber to pick up. We use a “email ahead” transport company for the past 7 years. They offer private transport and transportation with other travelers. Both are reasonably priced. A shot out to hard working people and a comfortable and pleasant experience. Usually I email a week ahead. They give me a quote. They need to know # of people and where yer going to quote, . They will email you instructions where to meet, again this is what we do. You’ll be harassed as soon as you walk outside if you need a ride. I’ve never shown up on Cabo without a ride scheduled. It doesn’t look pleasant. Google Cabo Airport shuttle or email [email protected]. we book one way. Take a taxi back to airport. It’s reasonable on way back. You ask them what the cost is, last time from the Ziva to he airport it was 30ish. I’m a heavy Uber user, feel like Uber was more back to airport. Taxis sit outside across the street from the Ziva. Anyway. I’m finally here. “Our hack”. We stay at the Hyatt place about 4 block walk to the ziva the first night. We go into town (about 2 miles). Walk or Uber. Restaurants are good. I would recommend Flora Farms. (Nice place,take a look on trip advisors). Next morning we check in at the Ziva around 9/10 am. They’ll do their best to get you into a room; depending on capacity. We like to go into town. And save money on a “short” night. Once we get to the Ziva, we don’t leave. Plenty of good food. No reason for us to leave. Not sure if there’s “lots” to do. We drink, play uno. Pool. Nap. That’s our “lots”.

globalist. Nothing great here. You do get access to the “club” lounge. It’s a certain color wrist band. Was silver last time I was there. The clun has better alcohol options, a nice outdoor patio overlooks resort. It’s nice. It does have light food snacks and cappuccino machine.

the ziva suite and the one bedroom are probably yer best option if doing 3 in one room. The 1 bedroom has a door and the living area pull out couch. It’s fine for a night or two. The Ziva suite has a bathroom between the living area (pull out couch) I feel like there was a door to the bedroom. I think. Can’t remember. We used to take our teenage kid, the 3 of us stay in the Ziva Suite.

Sorry for the babble. Hope that helps a little.

the best Hyatt in Cabo is the Thompson hotel. It’s not all inclusive. That’s the downside. Great place thou, if rates are not 600$ plus. Gets pricey food/drink.

we’re heading to the Dreams Los Cabos, new to the Hyatt umbrella. I’m not too hopeful, hopefully they surprise me, but we will see. It’s “all inclusive” heading on points. Points were a good value
How is the Thompson better?
Old Aug 19, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: Globallist
Originally Posted by lsquare
How is the Thompson better?

The Thompson > Hyatt Ziva is my opinion. Id say the rooms at the Thompson are nicer. I'd say Globalists benefits are better. (room upgrade, breakfast free). The vies from the rooms are much better. The beach is better. Both have Pros and Cons for me. Ziva PROS- All inclusive, large spread out resort. Thompson PROS better location, small resort, more inclusive. BOTH are good. Just depends on what you are looking for on that specific trip, which would be a better option. Rooms at the Thompson were 400's a night. NOW seem to be 600-1100$ to start? ugh that's not doable. For us, a quick 2 or 3 night on POINTS, its Thompson first. Head to a good restaurant close. We do like The OFFICE on the beach. its nice and close.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by creativeguess1
The Thompson > Hyatt Ziva is my opinion. Id say the rooms at the Thompson are nicer. I'd say Globalists benefits are better. (room upgrade, breakfast free). The vies from the rooms are much better. The beach is better. Both have Pros and Cons for me. Ziva PROS- All inclusive, large spread out resort. Thompson PROS better location, small resort, more inclusive. BOTH are good. Just depends on what you are looking for on that specific trip, which would be a better option. Rooms at the Thompson were 400's a night. NOW seem to be 600-1100$ to start? ugh that's not doable. For us, a quick 2 or 3 night on POINTS, its Thompson first. Head to a good restaurant close. We do like The OFFICE on the beach. its nice and close.
I checked the dates for Thompson and it was close to $1k/night. AFAICT, I only get breakfast for free at Thompson. I don't know if there is a lounge and whether there is a food spread. At the Ziva, all my food and beverages are covered. I know the hard product won't be as good as Thompson.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 1:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Just finishing up our 5 night stay here at the Ziva Los Cabos. Second time we’ve been here (prior time was about 6 years ago). I’m a Globalist, and we had 3 rooms, 13 people total. Biggest perk of Globalist / gold wristbands was the ability to make reservations at any dining option, instead of waiting in line… with hungry kids, this was a big plus, as the lines often were 20+ people regardless of dining option at night. Also, the discounts on Cabanas and Spa services were nice. Globalist recognition otherwise was just at check-in/out and Club Room, no problem.

The Good:

Staff continue to be outstanding and very accommodating to requests. Our group (7 adults, 6 kids) had some Kosher travelers and we contacted the hotel in advance to arrange for kosher meals and the staff went above and beyond making sure they did everything the way we wanted. Truly impressive with great follow-ups to clarify anything they didn’t quite understand instead of just winging it. The pools and kids play area /slides are still great, our kids wanted to be in the pools basically from 7am to 7pm (or whenever they just were exhausted to the point we had to carry them to the rooms).

Zaffiro had good pizzas and fish. Pasta’s were a bit drenched in sauces, adults didn’t love but kids sure did. Dozo (Teppanyaki) was a treat for the kids to watch, and since we had custom kosher meals, the food was quite enjoyable and good. Sushi was decent too. The Hacienda Grill (next to the theater, not the beach area), again with custom order foods they really made the effort to ensure we enjoyed ourselves, and we did. We did not try Bon Vivant.

Lunch by the pools was good. Fish tacos, ceviche, quesadillas, etc., everyone seemed to enjoy and there was enough variety that we did not feel like we were eating the same thing 5 days in a row. We also had some kosher / vegetarian lunch options arranged which helped- my wife brought kosher hot dogs from LA and it was not an issue at all for the staff to prepare them for us.

Pools were all either heated or warm enough to enjoy (during August, so yea, to be expected). Daily activities, while not for our group, seemed to be pretty fun for other guests.

The Bad:

While lunch, and dinner (generally) were good / acceptable for what one could expect at a mid-range all inclusive (this isn’t the Grand Velas, after all, which is a different class of all-inclusive resort), breakfast was a daily disaster at each of the Buffet, Hacienda restaurant, and Club room. Truly gross food options, most not heated to correct/safe temps, left out way too long and just looking unappetizing, or brought out barely warm even when made to order. Every day it was something else that just really frustrated us. Last 2 days, we ended up just doing hard boiled eggs, some pastries, and juices/smoothies.

The hotel also needs a refresh. While the rooms are spacious (we had 3 rooms – a Ziva Suite and 2 2-bed/2.5 bath suites), the furnishings are showing their age, and better lighting is needed (bathrooms are so dark!). Additionally, typical repair & maintenance issues that need to be addressed throughout the common areas such as cracked pool tiles, elevators not working, burned out lights, etc. Clearly they have been doing R&M on a shoestring budget during COVID. I spoke with one of the assistant managers during the mold issue [see below “UGLY”], and he admitted they are well aware of ongoing R&M issues, and supposedly the hotel is planning a renovation which is to begin in 12-18 months, but he was not sure of the extent of the scope. He also mentioned the photos on the Hyatt website are mostly from 2009-2013! (who knows if true or not)

The UGLY:

We had 3 rooms between our party. One of the rooms had a bathroom with a ridiculous (I'd say borderline dangerous) amount of visible mold and who knows what else behind the walls. Of course we complained, and the staff said someone would be right up. Approx. 2 hours later, a maintenance guy walked in with a bucket and repainted the bathroom right over the mold. I almost thought it was a joke, except it wasn’t. Even as I type this, I'm trying to make sure I'm not just imagining what 6 people witnessed with their own eyes, it was kind of wild. We called again and of course said that doesn’t work for us, and demanded a non-moldy room, which was accommodated immediately

Other:

My wife and I took advantage of the 25% off Zen spa services, and the spa was fine. Nothing crazy amazing, but not bad by any means either. After 4 days in the pool, we both needed some time away from kids (and rest of family), and the spa was a perfect, if too brief, respite.

Spirit of 68… DEAD. Same goes for the Piano Bar. I must have walked by half a dozen times and never once saw a single person inside Spirit of 68. Piano Bar, there were a max of 4 people in there, ever. Both of those spaces are wasted and should be turned into something more useful.

Overall, it was an “ok” stay. Not as great as the first time we were here years ago, but not terrible either. That said, with so many other options in Cabo, we wont be back if and until the hotel gets a substantial makeover. We were at Grand Velas last summer and at Garza Blanca 2 years prior to that, both are far superior options, of course gotta pay for that difference.

Last edited by rajuabju; Aug 24, 2022 at 7:56 pm
Old Aug 26, 2022, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by rajuabju
Just finishing up our 5 night stay here at the Ziva Los Cabos. Second time we’ve been here (prior time was about 6 years ago). I’m a Globalist, and we had 3 rooms, 13 people total. Biggest perk of Globalist / gold wristbands was the ability to make reservations at any dining option, instead of waiting in line… with hungry kids, this was a big plus, as the lines often were 20+ people regardless of dining option at night. Also, the discounts on Cabanas and Spa services were nice. Globalist recognition otherwise was just at check-in/out and Club Room, no problem.
The hotel also needs a refresh. While the rooms are spacious (we had 3 rooms – a Ziva Suite and 2 2-bed/2.5 bath suites), the furnishings are showing their age, and better lighting is needed (bathrooms are so dark!).
Overall, it was an “ok” stay. Not as great as the first time we were here years ago, but not terrible either. That said, with so many other options in Cabo, we wont be back if and until the hotel gets a substantial makeover. We were at Grand Velas last summer and at Garza Blanca 2 years prior to that, both are far superior options, of course gotta pay for that difference.
Thank you for the detailed review.

How did you feel about the Ziva Suite? Upthread, it was discussed that the Ziva Suite balcony is smaller than other rooms/suites. Did it affect your stay?
Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:31 pm

Any mask requirements at this time?
Old Sep 27, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Does someone have a valid email address for this property. I got this email from my concierge but it bounced back ([email protected]).

Update answered my own question: [email protected]
Old Nov 6, 2022, 8:22 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Does anyone have feedback on the swim up club 1 king vs the oceanfront 1-bedroom master suite? We are debating between the two, it looks like the oceanfront is slightly larger? Is that solely due to the addition of a dining area?
Old Dec 8, 2022, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Should I redeem 17k points or pay $540/night?

Did anyone stay here lately? What was your experience like?
Old Dec 9, 2022, 6:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lsquare
Should I redeem 17k points or pay $540/night?

Did anyone stay here lately? What was your experience like?
Points. Value would 3.2 which is very good use
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 7:00 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Originally Posted by SharkyTheArchae
Thank you for the detailed review.

How did you feel about the Ziva Suite? Upthread, it was discussed that the Ziva Suite balcony is smaller than other rooms/suites. Did it affect your stay?
UPDATE:
so this a bit late but to respond, Ziva Suite was decent. The smallish balcony was not a concern we had, didn’t really use the balconies much during our stay.

more importantly a few days after posting my original review above, I also had contacted Hyatt about the mold issue we ran into. Not to ask for anything but just a general complaint. CS I spoke to was genuinely shocked and I sent him photos we had taken of said mold and bathroom repainting in progress. Again I never asked for anything but he offered and I accepted a partial refund on one of our three rooms which was really a nice gesture. I think it equated to a little over 1 night of our stay.
bsdstone and SharkyTheArchae like this.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
We are just finishing a 1 night stay. I’ll just drop some quick thoughts. I am Globalist staying here with my wife. We just finished up 4 nights at La Pacifica by HGV which is the timeshare part of the Hilton. Excellent by the way.

The staff and customer service here at Ziva is excellent. As a Globalist, we were taken to the Club upstairs to check in. I had booked a Master King, was upgraded to Ziva suite. I new the balcony was smaller but having two bathrooms is nice. Normally properties that use a lockout style like these have the large balcony on the larger room and the small balcony on the smaller room but it’s ok. We got 6th floor facing South with a great view of the pool and gulf. I also checked another Brand Explorer box and am sitting at 14.

We arrived a bit early so our room wasn’t ready. We were hungry and went to the Buffett. As other have noted, not that good. Lukewarm food. Kinda Golden Corral. We wanted to make reservations for Bon Vivant but were told that is no longer an option for Globalist. It’s not crowded here so we only had to wait a few minutes to get a table. The house wine is awful and the food was just mediocre and again, kind of lukewarm. My fish was not cooked through. I bought a bottle of good Mexican wine at $80 and that improved dinner. Breakfast in the morning at Cortez was just ok as well.

The food was fabulous at the Hilton which is probably clouding my judgement a bit and we have a car and ate at so many wonderful places in the area. So, I won’t stay here again. The hotel and staff are wonderful but there is so much to see and do in Los Cabos, I’d rather not be at an AI place. I might try some of the other new AMR properties around here for 1 night just for fun and to keep picking up my badges.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think food is highly subjective. I'm currently here on a two-night stay before going to the Waldorf Astoria. I didn't know where to start so I went to the Asian restaurant. I thought the food was good. Not amazing, but good and is all you can eat. I don't know if I can stuff a steak down my tummy before all the restaurants close for the night.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It might be late to ask this, but is there anything to do outside the hotel? The staff told me to visit the mall or walk to downtown. I don't know how safe that is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.