Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos REVIEW-MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: switchyj
Few handy links:

E-concierge website (also includes spa, activities & add-ons prices).
https://loscabosziva.hyatte-concierge.com/

Playa resort website (often has different offers/promotions that are not mentioned on Hyatt website + more details about the hotel rooms, amenities & activities)
http://www.playaresorts.com/Hyatt-Ziva-Los-Cabos

Hotel official website
http://loscabos.ziva.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

Facebook page (they post every other day on it)
https://www.facebook.com/HyattZivaLosCabos

Tripadvisor page
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g152516-d469312
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos REVIEW-MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2016, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by 808lostin619
Hyatt has me so confused regarding this resort. I booked two nights in April in a pool view king. I figure I'm a Diamond and planning to apply a DSU so what does it matter. Just called Hyatt to modify the reservation and apply my DSU and...

First, I asked to pay for 1 night and use points for the other. The lady says they do not have my room type available for points so I will have to check into the pool view king my first night (paid) and then move to a standard room the second night (points). Oh, and the standard room is a double room. Okay--this is weird but I'll keep going.

Second, I ask about using my DSU and she responds that DSU's are not applicable to free rooms paid with points. I have never heard this policy before. So I then ask her to apply it to the paid night. According to her system, no suites are available when on the Hyatt.com website there is a Hyatt Ziva suite available. She says the DSU only applies to specific rooms on the property.
The DSU at this property gets you a Hyatt Ziva Club Ocean View Master King or Double, not a true suite. Some have reported the property upgrades Diamonds to this without DSU, subject to availability. As for the standard room being a double, they may not have kings available for your dates. Since you booked a Pool View King and not a (Standard) Ziva Master King, when you were planning to use a DSU, I suspect that is the case.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 3:17 pm

Just booked two rooms for two nights in December through successful BRG claims, one for $215 for two adults, the other $327 for 2 adults 1 child, daily rates but inclusive fees and taxes. Was going to redeem 40K points for the double room, but decided to keep the points and spend $430 cash. Both rooms are "master double". Debating if I should use two DSU or just risk it and wait until check in to see if we get lucky to be upgraded? Also are there any connecting rooms at the resort? even though both rooms I booked are Master Double, I am ok if one of the room is Master King.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 7:43 pm

who did you use for BRG.. thank you
Old Feb 28, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by frenchie2
Just booked two rooms for two nights in December through successful BRG claims, one for $215 for two adults, the other $327 for 2 adults 1 child, daily rates but inclusive fees and taxes. Was going to redeem 40K points for the double room, but decided to keep the points and spend $430 cash. Both rooms are "master double". Debating if I should use two DSU or just risk it and wait until check in to see if we get lucky to be upgraded? Also are there any connecting rooms at the resort? even though both rooms I booked are Master Double, I am ok if one of the room is Master King.
If you have DSUS expiring tomorrow with no other plans to use, why not just use them?
Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20
If you have DSUS expiring tomorrow with no other plans to use, why not just use them?
no i don't have any left, applied them all for this year's upcoming trips. will have another 4 soon, and not sure if i can use all 4 because I am booked up for 2016!
Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by lorribarnes
who did you use for BRG.. thank you
not sure I am allowed to post the info here, but you can check out the Hyatt Best Rate Guarantee thread, click the last page to begin.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 12:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Southwest CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
I have a cash stay coming up and some upgrades to burn but it almost sounds like a DSU could actually hurt your chances at an amazing room. Has anyone used a DSU and gotten anything above a 1BR suite?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
been on property since sunday- can honestly say it is the worst hyatt stay i have had by a huge margin. disappointed would not even come close to describing our experience.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
been on property since sunday- can honestly say it is the worst hyatt stay i have had by a huge margin. disappointed would not even come close to describing our experience.
Please elaborate when you have the time! I'm considering booking a stay here.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
Will post the full details this evening. This property could be great- but there are a lot of caveats.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:10 pm

on sunday, we checked in. when making the reservation, and again at check-in, there was never any notification that a EMC corporate event was going to be taking place. to say it has taken over the entire property would not be an exaggeration. sun night, after dinner, the only way to walk back to our room was through the EMC cocktail party which was occupying the entire main pool, and was apparently exclusively reserved for their use. they had light displays, etc, going on, and our 8yo daughter stopped for literally 2 mins to watch the display. an EMC employee grabbed her by the arm and told her she had to leave as it was "an EMC adults only party." I literally could not believe it. I told him we were just coming back from dinner, and this was the only way back to our room. He said, "I don't care." Security soon came, and at first, the hotel sided with the EMC employee, until I made it clear we were just coming from dinner and they could confirm that with the restaurant, that we weren't trying to crash anyone's party, and most importantly, that the guy grabbed our daughter and that no guest should ever put their hands on another guest, much less a child.

the following morning, i met with the director of operations. they apologized and gave us 40,000 points for the way the situation was handled. they also assured us that there would be no more EMC events during the duration of their corporate stay, which ends tomorrow.

however, yesterday, my gf and i went to the tequila bar to have a drink, and were informed that the space was currently being occupied by EMC and that we couldn't sit down.

today, a sound stage has been erected on the beach, the entire beach has been cordoned off, and sound checks have been blaring since 11am, as EMC is apparently hiring Gavin DeGraw to perform for EMC employees exclusively.

in the time i have been here, i have met probably 9-10 EMC couples, and all of them were shocked that we were not with EMC. in fact, they all thought that EMC had rented out the entire property, and even admitted they would be pissed if they had shown up at the property and had to deal with the EMC event if they were not part of the group.

children have been made to feel unwelcome, despite the fact the property bills itself as a family resort, and promotes their kids pool and kids club in their photographs and literature. EMC has put up large pinatas around the property, and anytime a kid sees them and asks if there will be a piñata contest, they are informed it is for EMC guests only. it has gotten to the point, that when we walk into the buffet, we are tempted to half-jokingly ask whether "the plates and silverware are for EMC guests only and we need to eat with our hands."

the hotel has pandered to EMC at every turn, seemingly letting them have full reign of the property. if they want to monopolize the entire property, they should have had to pay for the entire property. to dump on other guests like this with ridiculous restrictions and inconveniences is reprehensible. EMC has even hired someone to reserve all of the pool chairs in the morning, so you need to wake up at 6am to get a chair beside the pool, as their chair monopolizer shows up around 6:40 (i literally saw it with my own eyes). and after 7pm, it is clear that the entire main area of the hotel is solely for the enjoyment of EMC.

this was our daughter's spring break, and I and another couple who are in another room, have been treated like second class citizens during the duration of our stay, as have the other families not with EMC. while catering to the EMC guests, who have zero hyatt loyalty, and are here on their company's dime, they have ignored loyal hyatt guests who paid good money to be here. it has been an absolute joke.

the sad thing is, it is a beautiful property, we have enjoyed the food, etc., but if there is a corp event taking place, you will be left feeling like you are sitting in the back of the bus.

Last edited by taipeiflyer; Apr 6, 2016 at 9:20 pm
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Big corporate events at hotels mixed with regular guests hardly ever are a nice experience for the latter.
I would contact the GM or director of operations again and ask/insist that my entire (or a very substantial part of the) stay would be comped. Non disclosure of such an event to paying clients is totally unacceptable....
Old Apr 7, 2016, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
Big corporate events at hotels mixed with regular guests hardly ever are a nice experience for the latter.
I would contact the GM or director of operations again and ask/insist that my entire (or a very substantial part of the) stay would be comped. Non disclosure of such an event to paying clients is totally unacceptable....
you are absolutely correct. i am going to speak with the director of operations again as they promised sun night was a one-off, and that was obviously untrue.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)
Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
Why don't you elaborate?
Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by flyer121
Why don't you elaborate?
Look three posts up, post #386.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.