Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Zilara Cancun REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Zilara Cancun REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pWei
IIRC, there is a time share / residences component to the Zilara. Might be why they make AI resort guests wear bands - to designate them as AI guests.
You’re right about the timeshare, but last February there were no bands anymore. Don’t know if it is still that way.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
My recent three night stay here was a little sad - because I was travelling alone (cue violins). In hindsight, it was probably a little naive of me to book a resort that was packed with couples. One day I sat down to lunch and of the 14 other occupied tables, mine was the only one with an odd number.

But I made do.

There is a dedicated World of Hyatt check-in area separate from the main reception that accommodates all three tiers. I received an early check-in and there was no issue with a late check-out which surprised me given the hotel is a resort. I used points (25k) for two nights and paid USD361 for the other night and was upgraded to a ocean front junior suite king. The decor of the room, with its dark wood, didn't do much for me but the expansive glass frontage overlooking the swimming pool and ocean was lovely. The whirlpool in the living area looking out over the ocean is different but a great feature. The king bed was comfortable and on check-in I was offered a choice of four different types of pillows. The KenetMD toiletries seemed a little out of place for a Zilara but suit me fine. My room was in the main wing and directly backed on to the lobby area. You absolutely do not want to be in this wing if you're looking for peace and tranquility. Each night there is a performance of some kind in the lobby with loud music that given the tiles easily echoes and rises up through, I would think all seven (or eight) floors. The minibar in the room is very scant. There are no spirits and I think there were only four beers. That's it. Of course, you can call room service or bring drinks yourself from the outlets. A turndown service occurred on two out of three nights.

I'm not a foodie so didn't bother with Chef's Table but did each at the Italian restaurant (the slightly fancier one) on one evening and it was perfectly fine. I ate most of my meals in the main buffet restaurant off the lobby near the pool. While nothing blew me away there was certainly no shortage of food and I really couldn't complain. What did surprise me is that there is no form of hotel ID. At the restaurants you provide your room number but at the bars and the pool it's open slather which made me think it seems quite easy to walk on in off the beach and spend the day drinking for free.

The pool was warm, almost whirlpool warm. The weather while I was there wasn't great but I could imagine on a hot day the pool would not be pleasant. It's otherwise a great pool, though, overlooking the ocean. There are plenty of sunbeds and cabanas although I never really understand the process for the latter, whether some were available first-come first-served or everyone had to pay. One afternoon there was a foam party in half of the pool, complete with DJ and dancers. (It's really two separate pool but they adjoin each other.) This struck me as being out of place for what I thought the hotel's target audience would be but it seemed to be fairly well populated. Throughout, staff walked the edges and continuously took drink orders.

The male changing room (and presumably the same for the ladies) featured two large whirlpools, a steam room, a sauna and plunge pool. The spa treatments were very expensive.

The hotel laundry service was very cheap and all the staff were polite, friendly and cheerful. The internet was okay but did stop working for a few hours while I was there. The pool was also out of pool towels one morning which I found odd. Speaking of pool towels, I wish people would put the towels they've finished with in the towel bin. It's impossible to tell whether a screwed up towel on a sunbed is still being used with the owner frolicking in the pool or if it's done with. There seemed to be an awful lot of otherwise usable sunbeds that weren't.

It's a nice spot and I'd return - but only with a partner!
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:13 pm

How much is parking on site? I searched everywhere but can't find answer...

Thanks!
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:05 am

Any recent stays as a globalist? What kind of room did globalist get?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by wangjie564032
Any recent stays as a globalist? What kind of room did globalist get?
Been there multiple times as diamond/globalist.

Bottom line is basically all rooms are considered ocean view “suites” so don’t expect any real upgrade over the base room type. You might be on a higher floor.

Im my opinion Ziva is better/nicer and they do offer substantial upgrades for Globs. See other threads for comparison.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glbl, Marriott Lftm Plat, National EE
Diamond Suite Upgrades

My wife and I are returning to Zilara next week for 7 nights. On our first trip in February of this year (2018), we split our stay with 2 nights each in Zilara and Ziva.

On my previous trip, I was able to use my Free Category 1-7 night for one of the nights, and used points for the rest. Both Ziva and Zilara were upgraded using a Globalist Suite Upgrade certificate at both properties. At the Zilara in February, we were upgraded to an Ocean View Junior Suite King, which is one category Ocean Front Junior Suite King, which is two categories up from the base room. It was located on one of the higher floors (5th?) and had an amazing ocean view. Very pleasant sound of crashing waves with the balcony door open (one of the things I *love* about beach and/or cruise vacations). Food was much better IMO at Zilara vs Ziva. Ziva had a great taco place on the beach though.

Per my Hyatt Globalist concierge, we are again confirmed in the same room category for 7 nights on our upcoming stay. I will update this post if I manage to get an even better upgrade than what is confirmed.

My only complaints about the Zilara are that the mini-bar was, well, mini and wasn't kept stocked unless we asked. Also, the hottub in the room was *gross*. Turned it on and a bunch of black crud came out of the jets. I managed to get it clean, but by then my SO was absolutely not going to get in that thing. Nope, not gonna happen.

For Ziva back in Feb'18, we were also upgraded to a *very nice* suite. I believe it was an Ocean Front Pyramid Suite Club Ocean Front Corner Suite (the pictures of this room type on their website exactly match the room we stayed in; it may even be the same room!). It had a separate living area with a hot tub on the balcony and a smallish (in comparison) bedroom. One and a half baths. The view from the balcony faced south, so the beach was about 100 yards out from the balcony. Nice view of the extended beach that runs North/South in the hotel zone, but I didn't really feel I was "on the beach". The room however was spectacular and I spent a *lot* of time in the hot tub during that stay.

Last edited by gloobnib; Sep 28, 2018 at 12:28 pm Reason: Corrected room type for Ziva
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:15 pm

Going there with some friends beginning of November. Do I need to be worried about tainted alcohol at all? I assume an international brand like Hyatt will have more protections than a more local resort, but not sure.

Was thinking of having one person stay drinking beer so they can round everyone up if the group gets poisoned, but I might be overreacting~
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by StevieTopSiders
Going there with some friends beginning of November. Do I need to be worried about tainted alcohol at all? I assume an international brand like Hyatt will have more protections than a more local resort, but not sure.

Was thinking of having one person stay drinking beer so they can round everyone up if the group gets poisoned, but I might be overreacting~
You are overreacting to sensationalized media stories. There have been ZERO reports of tainted alcohol at any of the Hyatt resorts. These hotels are exceptionally well run and I feel personally safer at them than at most comparable resorts in the states.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 1:32 pm

I was planning on visiting the Zilara next year. Does anyone know why the property is sold out all of August, September, and October of 2019? They surely can't be sold out of every room and every single day.

TIA
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Corridor!
I was planning on visiting the Zilara next year. Does anyone know why the property is sold out all of August, September, and October of 2019? They surely can't be sold out of every room and every single day.

TIA
There is a major renovation in the works.... might have something to do with it.

Overall, Ziva is better anyway, IMHO. Vastly better location with comparable food.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:10 am

Does anyone know where I can find prices for Zen Spa?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Corridor!

TIA
Were you able to find space? We are planning 4 nights at the end of August and see lots of availability. Rates seem to be pretty low now. A travel agent friend said that Mexico is cheaper than Jamaica or Dominican Republic now b/c of the bad rap its getting and b/c of the seaweed problems.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
The Hyatt Zilara Cancun Fans page on facebook seems to have a plethora of info on what's currently going on. You do have to request and be accepted into the group to be able to see most of the info.

I thought I'd read that the aforementioned lack of availability seemed to be more/only an issue for those booking under the timeshare side of the property(playa resorts?). Folks in the group say the property is definitely not closing for the upcoming renovations.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:08 pm

They were going to close for three months for renovations. They are now going to stay open.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Globalist, used my Cat 1-7 Cert. Booked Standard, knowing Upgrade Certs only get you 1 room upgrade, decided not to use it and got upgraded to a high floor oceanfront suite anyways. Noon check in, and 4pm checkout. No fees or other charges. Complimentary valet.

Overall Excellent room, food, service, beach,etc, etc.

One thing that really stood out was the large gym.

Another highlight was the Spa. I was told that as a globalist I was waived the $25 per person, per day fee. Also, SO and I each received a complimentary 25 min couples foot massage. Also the staff in spa were extremely attentive.

Even though I was told hotel was at sold out, it never seemed packed. It was easy to get a table, chair, etc (Only thing consistently full was Chef's table)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.