Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Zilara Cancun REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Zilara Cancun REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy
Anyone who have been in the Hyatt All-Inclusive also have done cruises?

I would like some opinions on the food comparison between All-Inclusive and cruises. I understand in an All-Inclusive the drinks are included while on a cruise it is not and quite expensive because that is where the cruise lines make their money. In other words, the drink dept on a cruise subsidize the food dept while it is probably the opposite at an All=Inclusive.

So this brings up an interesting thought - the All-Inclusive has to spend money on the drink dept while the cruise line primarily makes their money from the drink dept - how would be the impact on the food dept respectively?

It would be nice to hear from someone who has done both types extensive so to be able to offer some insight.
I've been to the Zilara 3x and we are currently getting ready to book it again for February of next year and have been on 12+ cruises--NCL,RCCL,Carnival and Princess lines. The entertainment on the ships tend to be more varied and better, plus there are the other options of the clubs and numerous bars, so for me the cruise lines win this one hands down.

As for the food, Zilara is much better when comparing it to the MDR on the cruise lines, I would say it is equal to what you would find in the specialty restaurants.

As far as drinks go the Zilara takes it because it is included, but with one caveat--NCL offers the free drink packages with most of their cruises nowadays once you pay for the gratuities up front which is $99 pp for the week. I've used that 2x and also have it for our cruise in November and that is a terrific deal. The one thing I have noticed though is that since they implemented this, the service around the pools has gotten a lot slower and harder to find a server at times.

I find the service on both to be fairly close but the Zilara is better, more genuine and personal but they also aren't dealing with 2-3k people at a time either.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JRV62
I've been to the Zilara 3x and we are currently getting ready to book it again for February of next year and have been on 12+ cruises--NCL,RCCL,Carnival and Princess lines. The entertainment on the ships tend to be more varied and better, plus there are the other options of the clubs and numerous bars, so for me the cruise lines win this one hands down.

As for the food, Zilara is much better when comparing it to the MDR on the cruise lines, I would say it is equal to what you would find in the specialty restaurants.

As far as drinks go the Zilara takes it because it is included, but with one caveat--NCL offers the free drink packages with most of their cruises nowadays once you pay for the gratuities up front which is $99 pp for the week. I've used that 2x and also have it for our cruise in November and that is a terrific deal. The one thing I have noticed though is that since they implemented this, the service around the pools has gotten a lot slower and harder to find a server at times.

I find the service on both to be fairly close but the Zilara is better, more genuine and personal but they also aren't dealing with 2-3k people at a time either.
Thanks for the input. If the foods are comparable to the specialty restaurants of all the cruise lines you have taken, it would be quite good indeed. I think we may give the resort a try next year.

The thing that I dont like to return to Cancun is, the gorgeous, super white and was silicon therefore never got hot under the sun, long beach by the hotel zone was destroyed by Hurricane Wilma. The beach since was a rebuilt with trucked in sands.. It always saddens me when returning to a once favorite place and see the former beauty is no more.

However with all the good reviews of the Hyatt all-inclusive, may be it is a good enough reason to revisit the once-beloved spot for short trips when we lived in Houston. We went to Sandals a couple time back then primarily for the all-inclusive water sport activities (scuba diving, sailing, kayaking etc etc). But later we realized that we did not have enough stamina to do them all, so a pay as you go method would work better than having everything included in a single price tag.

RCCL's MDR foods to me are subpar to Princess and HAL. Last time we cruised CCL was at least 15 years ago and I forgot how the foods were like. We never do NCL. The drink package you mentioned, is really a good deal - much cheaper than Princess or HAL. We have sailed exactly 20 cruises with Princess when I looked at my account last week. I believe we have done 12 or more with HAL - most of them are 10 to 14 days long cruises so if the foods are not good it would be really upsetting like the one time we sailed a TATL on Allure of the Sea - it took the dubious prize of the worst foods we had ever had out of over approximate 40 cruises.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 22, 2017 at 7:06 pm
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy
Thanks for the input. If the foods are comparable to the specialty restaurants of all the cruise lines you have taken, it would be quite good indeed. I think we may give the resort a try next year.

The thing that I dont like to return to Cancun is, the gorgeous, super white and was silicon therefore never got hot under the sun, long beach by the hotel zone was destroyed by Hurricane Wilma. The beach since was a rebuilt with trucked in sands.. It always saddens me when returning to a once favorite place and see the former beauty is no more.

However with all the good reviews of the Hyatt all-inclusive, may be it is a good enough reason to revisit the once-beloved spot for short trips when we lived in Houston. We went to Sandals a couple time back then primarily for the all-inclusive water sport activities (scuba diving, sailing, kayaking etc etc). But later we realized that we did not have enough stamina to do them all, so a pay as you go method would work better than having everything included in a single price tag.

RCCL's MDR foods to me are subpar to Princess and HAL. Last time we cruised CCL was at least 15 years ago and I forgot how the foods were like. We never do NCL. The drink package you mentioned, is really a good deal - much cheaper than Princess or HAL. We have sailed exactly 20 cruises with Princess when I looked at my account last week. I believe we have done 12 or more with HAL - most of them are 10 to 14 days long cruises so if the foods are not good it would be really upsetting like the one time we sailed a TATL on Allure of the Sea - it took the dubious prize of the worst foods we had ever had out of over approximate 40 cruises.
I agree with you about RCCL compared to Princess, haven't been on HAL so I don't have any insight there. NCL is the worst for the MDR, we tend to eat most of the time in the specialty restaurants. I was very surprised how good the food was on our one Carnival cruise about 4-5 years ago, it was a repositioning cruise 12 days from Vancouver to Hawaii and then another 18 days to Sydney. We only did the Hawaii segment and we were among the youngest people on the cruise (mid 40's) -- so it wasn't their normal target market and I don't know if it was just an aberration.

A couple of other things I like about the Zilara, all the rooms are ocean views, you can use the restaurants at the Ziva down the road, the Italian was good the French one not so much. The beach is still beautiful but I wasn't there before Hurricane Wilma so I can't compare it. The gym with the new infinity pool is also nicely done. I've heard Sandals is very good but have not been there either, so maybe someone who has been to both can compare them.

A couple of things I didn't like-- the pool in February of last year was way too warm and I like a warm pool. I don't know if that was a one off because the other times it was fine. And despite it being a more upscale adult only property in the hotel zone there have been incidents 2 times times with people just getting hammered and out of control, one guy kept running up to behind the dancers doing their show and starts twerking and the management didn't do anything about it until the third time. The other time a guy in his mid 50's who was so drunk that I thought he was going to drown in 3 feet of water, he was about a biscuit shy of 400 lbs and they struggled so hard to pull him out of the water, literally dragging him up the small steps while he tried to crawl his way out. Just something that I could see taking place at a couple of other AI's in Cancun but really did not expect it there.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is Cancun where they literally encourage people to get drunk... The night scenes at Senor Frog could be scary and that was many years ago...

But I agree with you the management should not allow some guests to behave those ways, especially the guy went behind the dancers.

Sandals has different focus - romantic and sportive. I dont know their current policy but years ago all water sports were included (when a 2-tank scuba diving even at cheap Cozumel would cost $50). Their locations also are in the more expensive Caribbeans.

While RCCL foods are bad, their shows are excellent, especially the production shows. Only Crystal has better shows but theirs are more like the quality of individual performers, very professional very high skill, they do not have the large scale production shows which RCCL does it Extremely Well. The "Blue Planet" show on the Oasis class ships is stunning.

Now I need to figure out when we could fit in a visit to Zilara next year.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Anyone used a suite upgrade here? What room would that be? Is it worth using? And will using a suite upgrade give you access to the "premium services"?
The confirmed suite upgrade is from the standard suite to an Ocean View suite. We're going for 10 days, but they said I'd only need to use 1 suite upgrade for the entire time. We'll see if that actually works.

I'm hoping I'll get an additional upgrade to Ocean View at check in.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:38 pm

FYI. I am at the Zilara now. A recent change:

Rooms are no longer stocked with liquor. They still have beer and a bottle of red wine, but if you want liquor (or white wine), you have to go down to one of the restaurants. The front desk agent said this change happened about 2-3 weeks ago. Some staff are still unclear on this change.

She also said you could order a liquor drink to your room with room service but only with food; you can't order liquor drinks on their own.

I'm not 100% sure this is accurate; it seems like staff knowledge is inconsistent.

Presidential Suites (and perhaps swim up suites?) still have liquor but I was told it was in mini bottles only.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It may have to do with this:

http://time.com/4900991/mexican-reso...ol-unsanitary/

Iberostar Paraiso Maya is just down the road from Zilara.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
It may have to do with this:

http://time.com/4900991/mexican-reso...ol-unsanitary/

Iberostar Paraiso Maya is just down the road from Zilara.
I actually think this is correct. Which also makes more sense as to why everyone has a different story!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
I actually think this is correct. Which also makes more sense as to why everyone has a different story!
Pretty sure that is the reason. I seem to recall some guest, not of Ziva/Zilara but other resort, was recently sickened to death from tainted alcohol. Tragedy for sure.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:25 pm

FYI. The new coffee shop opened today. It's nice; has an industrial modern motif.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
What liquor brands/levels are available - especially whisky?

Is JW Red as good as they offer or can you buy single malts for an upcharge?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
What liquor brands/levels are available - especially whisky?

Is JW Red as good as they offer or can you buy single malts for an upcharge?
Via the Hyatt Zilara Cancun fans fb page, it's about 6 months old. Not sure why prices are on there as I thought the entire resort is AI. EDIT: From my visit 2 years ago, everything on this list should be included. Many of the higher-dollar amount items (Grey Goose, Don Julio, Walker Black, etc.) were, although I didn't check every single item

Last edited by lowfareair; Oct 19, 2017 at 9:24 am
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:00 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lowfareair
Not sure why prices are on there as I thought the entire resort is AI.
Based on my historical research, everything should be included except if you want a fancy bottle of wine. I did send Hyatt Zilara Cancun a Facebook message Thursday morning asking about what extras they may have, and they replied that they would get more info and get back to me, but never did. I wonder if those prices are to buy to take with or take away?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by aschuett
Based on my historical research, everything should be included except if you want a fancy bottle of wine. I did send Hyatt Zilara Cancun a Facebook message Thursday morning asking about what extras they may have, and they replied that they would get more info and get back to me, but never did. I wonder if those prices are to buy to take with or take away?
Not sure on why there are prices (at least by the glass, I could see charging someone who requested an entire bottle of something), but at the resort, all alcohol is included except premium wine bottles (they don't sell those by the glass, just the bottle) and expensive (i.e. pricier than Don Julio) tequila. Lobster tail and certain beach dinners are the only food they charge for. I can't think of any on-site activities besides the spa treatments that cost money. Obviously anything in the gift shop/jewelry store has a charge as well.

It's not hard to avoid a charge. I stayed 4 nights there a couple years ago and spent $0 at the hotel, besides the room cost and (optional) cash tips.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
IIRC, there is a time share / residences component to the Zilara. Might be why they make AI resort guests wear bands - to designate them as AI guests.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.