Best Hyatt New York

Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:10 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Carlsbad,CA USA
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Posts: 1,530
Best Hyatt New York

Which is the best Hyatt property in New York- prefer one of the locations midtown/times square.
holocker is offline  
Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:49 am
  #2  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SNA/LAX
Posts: 1,407
When are you looking to stay?

If after December 3rd, Hyatt Times Square may be your best bet as it is the most central.

Then, due to location, your options are:
Andaz 5th Avenue**
Hyatt 48 Lex
Grand Hyatt New York
Hyatt Place New York/Midtown isn't a bad option either if you want to save some money!

Check out this forum for a brief overview of NY Hyatt's
healthnut is offline  
Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:41 am
  #3  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Between AMS and BRU
Posts: 8,852
Probably the one that gives you most value for money.... and that changes.
None are perfect though.
RTW1 is offline  
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:52 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Carlsbad,CA USA
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Posts: 1,530
I was going to use the free certs from the Chase card so price does not matter. I was thinking Hyatt Times Square but checking online it looks like it will not be finished when it opens as it says restaurant, lounge, bar, spa to open in January.
holocker is offline  
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:58 pm
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Monte Sereno, California
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,398
As a diamond I still think the Andaz 5th Avenue is the best. Rooms are a nice size, love the free breakfast and the location is awesome.

Hyatt Time Square will have small rooms like Union Sq. and 48/LEX. The views might be nice, and would love to check out the rooftop bar....
Radiant Flyer is offline  
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:41 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: LGA/JFK
Programs: AA PL, DL Gold, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 220
Certs? Then probably Andaz 5th if there is availability. It is extremely central and literally 2 minutes from Times Square but not in the thick of that hotmess. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't stay "in" TS if I could avoid it. What makes you want to be there?
heatheresq is offline  
Old Oct 16, 2013, 4:09 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Programs: QFF Silver, Qantas Club, Hyatt Gold Passport - Platinum, Mlife - Gold, Hilton - Gold
Posts: 19
I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt over a dozen times and love the hotel. It is a great location next door to Grand Central and the rooms have recently been renovated.
I have stayed at Andaz 5th Ave once and had a very bad experience there. To the hotels credit though they did take my concerns on board and credited me with a heap of points to say sorry but I still prefer the Grand Hyatt.

A lot of people on here don't seem to give the Grand Hyatt enough recognition but I have no hesitation staying there.
There are some very picky people that comment on here.
aussieman01 is offline  
Old Oct 16, 2013, 4:50 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Texas
Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, United, Delta ex-status
Posts: 2,637
Originally Posted by holocker
I was going to use the free certs from the Chase card so price does not matter.
The card renewal certificates are only good to Category 4, which leaves you with the HP. . .and only the HP.

If your luck was better or you just got the card and it really is good any hotel, I'd say Andaz 5th Ave followed at some distance by 48 Lex. Walking distance to the Times Square madness without being on top of it.

But they all have threads yo can evaluate them from.
jayer is offline  
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:51 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,137
Sorry to revive an old thread- trying to decide the best option for the following scenario:

Traveling with wife/infant daughter and arriving into JFK at 6p on a Thursday night. We would like to stay in Manhattan overnight and be back to JFK Friday morning for an 835am flight. Planning to use a taxi/car service over subway.

I have a Chase cert (initial/any property) or would like to use Cash and Points.

Considering the early departure, would prefer a property that allows the breakfast to be taken in room.

Any suggestions with regards to convenience/ease of access and best room offered using a cert/C&P? We were considering Park Hyatt and Andaz Wall St..
Peatisback is offline  
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:23 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: DCA IAD BWI
Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry, Hertz 5*
Posts: 176
Originally Posted by Peatisback

Traveling with wife/infant daughter and arriving into JFK at 6p on a Thursday night. We would like to stay in Manhattan overnight and be back to JFK Friday morning for an 835am flight. Planning to use a taxi/car service over subway.

I have a Chase cert (initial/any property) or would like to use Cash and Points.

Considering the early departure, would prefer a property that allows the breakfast to be taken in room.

Any suggestions with regards to convenience/ease of access and best room offered using a cert/C&P? We were considering Park Hyatt and Andaz Wall St..
Personally, I'd recommend Park Hyatt (use Cash & Points) - it is a lot more central than the Andaz Wall St, and I'm sure if you notify the hotel beforehand that you're bringing a wee baby, they will accommodate you as best as they can.

You can also (as far as I know) take breakfast in room (we did two years ago as Diamonds), which is splendid and delicious. Just my two cents, have a great trip!

-AD
airbornedaddy is offline  
Old Dec 20, 2015, 8:31 pm
  #11  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 3,456
Originally Posted by Peatisback
Sorry to revive an old thread- trying to decide the best option for the following scenario:

Traveling with wife/infant daughter and arriving into JFK at 6p on a Thursday night. We would like to stay in Manhattan overnight and be back to JFK Friday morning for an 835am flight. Planning to use a taxi/car service over subway.

I have a Chase cert (initial/any property) or would like to use Cash and Points.

Considering the early departure, would prefer a property that allows the breakfast to be taken in room.

Any suggestions with regards to convenience/ease of access and best room offered using a cert/C&P? We were considering Park Hyatt and Andaz Wall St..
I would argue that none of the Hyatt options in Manhattan are ideal for you stay... 6 PM arrival means 630 PM curbside with no luggage... I have kids so I know that nothing ever happens smoothly but you're looking at best scenario 730 PM Manhattan arrival (best scenario) but realistically I would consider 800 PM to be lucky. Then a turnaround the next morning to get there for a 835 AM flight means leaving Manhattan at 530-6 AM at latest... for less than 12 hours I would definitely pick a JFK property... I've seen rates at the Sheraton as low as $150.. flat rate to JFK is ~$52 each way for taxi..

So in summary... seems like a lot of hassle, especially with a kid and wife to come into Manhattan and then return to JFK....

FDW
FlyingDoctorwu is offline  
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:00 pm
  #12  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: los angeles
Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Posts: 1,892
Grand Hyatt Customer Service is too variable

Originally Posted by aussieman01
I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt over a dozen times and love the hotel. It is a great location next door to Grand Central and the rooms have recently been renovated.
I have stayed at Andaz 5th Ave once and had a very bad experience there. To the hotels credit though they did take my concerns on board and credited me with a heap of points to say sorry but I still prefer the Grand Hyatt.

A lot of people on here don't seem to give the Grand Hyatt enough recognition but I have no hesitation staying there.
There are some very picky people that comment on here.
IMO the GH is satisfactory when there is no major event at the hotel. When the hotel is very busy the CS suffers severely. I would avoid it completely in December. I much prefer the Andaz Fifth- after staying at the GH for many years.
mmgm is offline  
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:22 pm
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Monte Sereno, California
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,398
Well I'm one of those picky people and would never recommend the Grand Hyatt NYC over the Andaz 5th Ave.

NOTE: I'm in New York City twice a month and my opinion is based on multiple stays at all the NYC Hyatt's, not just one stay. Also the renovation at the Grand Hyatt was several years ago, not recent.



Originally Posted by aussieman01
I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt over a dozen times and love the hotel. It is a great location next door to Grand Central and the rooms have recently been renovated.
I have stayed at Andaz 5th Ave once and had a very bad experience there. To the hotels credit though they did take my concerns on board and credited me with a heap of points to say sorry but I still prefer the Grand Hyatt.

A lot of people on here don't seem to give the Grand Hyatt enough recognition but I have no hesitation staying there.
There are some very picky people that comment on here.
Radiant Flyer is offline  
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:33 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: Hilton Diamond
Posts: 4,091
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I would argue that none of the Hyatt options in Manhattan are ideal for you stay... 6 PM arrival means 630 PM curbside with no luggage... I have kids so I know that nothing ever happens smoothly but you're looking at best scenario 730 PM Manhattan arrival (best scenario) but realistically I would consider 800 PM to be lucky. Then a turnaround the next morning to get there for a 835 AM flight means leaving Manhattan at 530-6 AM at latest... for less than 12 hours I would definitely pick a JFK property... I've seen rates at the Sheraton as low as $150.. flat rate to JFK is ~$52 each way for taxi..

So in summary... seems like a lot of hassle, especially with a kid and wife to come into Manhattan and then return to JFK....

FDW

This is absolutely my sentiment as well, it takes so much time getting back and forth from JFK that you really don't have that much time, especially if your flight is materially late. Save money time and hassle and stay at JFK, you will appreciate the extra sleep. My goto at JFK is the Hilton, the Hilton Garden is also fine. The Crowne Plaza is brand new, but have never personally stayed there.
Miesque is offline  
Old Dec 21, 2015, 2:11 am
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 55,982
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I would argue that none of the Hyatt options in Manhattan are ideal for you stay...
That was my thought as well. Getting into the city following a 6 pm arrival is going to be a real headache.

Of the options listed, I would probably go for Andaz WS b/c you don't have to deal with crosstown midtown traffic. I would not want to do PH.
Kacee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.