Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2019, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachfan
Check for a seven day stay. If you find it and have the points, book it and then cut it down. That’s how I got mine for November
Yup, you sometimes have to play games to get the nights you need at some Hyatt hotels. The problem is that this place is expensive, so you need a lot of points in your account to play that game.
Old May 24, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: Delta PM
I tried all combinations, 3nights - 6 nights, 8 nights, 10... absolutely no avail for EVERY day of July/August. Ugh.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by walterD
I tried all combinations, 3nights - 6 nights, 8 nights, 10... absolutely no avail for EVERY day of July/August. Ugh.

Short of looking for dumpster, ah, garden view room type each date (combination, one night, three nights, seven nights each), it is logical that for such short lead time (30-60 days) that the inventory is sold out... but that's how I start, just looking at 1- and 3- and 7-night combinations of garden view availability (since award night books into that inventory).
Old May 24, 2019, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by walterD
Trying to plan a trip there, but I'm getting no luck. Is there any chance to find award availability in August if I keep checking every day?
Never understood the allure of the Andaz.... Have you considered the Hyatt Regency Maui? It's cheaper (normally), has a good club lounge with all day offerings, and lots of ocean front rooms. Call it sentimentalism, but I've always loved this property.... plus West Maui has so many charms (Lahaina, driving around the north side, Whaler's village, black rock, etc..)
Maui4me1 likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
Never understood the allure of the Andaz.... Have you considered the Hyatt Regency Maui? It's cheaper (normally), has a good club lounge with all day offerings, and lots of ocean front rooms. Call it sentimentalism, but I've always loved this property.... plus West Maui has so many charms (Lahaina, driving around the north side, Whaler's village, black rock, etc..)

Never understood?

You must not be all that into the reefs and undersea life, and understand the value Ulua offers for diversity, entry level shorediving, beach facilities...

You must not be a milenial single looking for a little (note I said "a little") on-property (as in on property) action, one with milenial singles.

You must not go crazy for good Japanese food, and care much about having one of Maui's best restaurants on property (no worries, I'm asleep shortly after they open).

You must not know Makena very well. Other than Slaughterhouse, name one other beach(sand) in West Maui (which I love) where you can go and literally not see another human (Honolua and Namalu don't count, no sand).

You must not care about access to the rest of the island, as Wailea/Kihei > Kaanapali/Lahaina for that.

...just presenting the counter - I love all Maui areas.
Colin, Boraxo, blitzkriegs and 4 others like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:51 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Have you considered the Hyatt Regency Maui?)
Maui Andaz vs Maui Regency is probably a better thread for this discussion ...
Old May 25, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
Never understood staying at an inferior and older hotel for a ‘good club lounge.’ It’s mediocre free stuff. Beach, no beach. Nothing like passing on tiered infinity pools at a boutiquey hotel for that all day lounge...you like old and free. The Andaz ain’t that... - also a reason a lot of people like it (and the hotel knows it).
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Sadly, looks like the ala carte menu is no longer available. Also no more other off menu items, e.g., slab bacon. Buffet is still great, but I do miss the other options. New art gallery and artist in residence across from the mini Mart and one new art installation my daughter noticed in the lobby. Nothing else I've noticed since December.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:55 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by sam_goh
Sadly, looks like the ala carte menu is no longer available. Also no more other off menu items, e.g., slab bacon. Buffet is still great, but I do miss the other options. New art gallery and artist in residence across from the mini Mart and one new art installation my daughter noticed in the lobby. Nothing else I've noticed since December.
I'm not sure they need/ needed a menu with their fairly extensive offerings but if you want something special they won't offer it for sale or complimentary to Globalists?
I found them on the overall exceptionally accommodating .We had a near perfect experience in every regard this year
Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blitzkriegs

Never understood staying at an inferior and older hotel for a ‘good club lounge.’ It’s mediocre free stuff. Beach, no beach. Nothing like passing on tiered infinity pools at a boutiquey hotel for that all day lounge...you like old and free. The Andaz ain’t that... - also a reason a lot of people like it (and the hotel knows it).
I love the regency, and I'm never at the lounge.

I really like the pool area at the Regency. The fact that it's right on the beach is a huge plus.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Just wrapping up another stay and we leave disappointed again. The property itself is beautiful and the location is fantastic for water and beach activities. The service here is the real issue in our experience. One final departing shot was two phone calls and two door knocks on our last day in the span of an hour asking when we will be checking out even though it was proactively offered and accepted during check in that a 4 PM departure would be granted. They told me that the time was never entered into the system and thus 4 disturbances while the privacy sign is on and we were trying to get some sleep before the long flight home. This is a great example of just needing to follow through on what is said and offered during the check in process to avoid basic failures.

We had multiple other service issues with dining (to the point we stopped going to breakfast even though it is included at no additional cost) and pool service but if these issues ever get tackled, this could be a great hotel. Given the going rate for this hotel (both paid or on points), I would expect much better customer service than they seem to offer when we are here.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:06 pm

just as soon as i find another trendy, boutique, not overrun with kids, and doesn’t feel like cruise ship crowd hoarding (looking at you WA Wailea) beachfront resort on Maui where I can spend 30K points/n and be confirmed in a 1000 sq ft suite instead of $1000/n, then i’ll be gone. gone, i tell ya.
Boraxo and canyonleo like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:14 pm

My experience here with regards to service was sterling when I was here a couple of years ago.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Colin
just as soon as i find another trendy, boutique, not overrun with kids, and doesn’t feel like cruise ship crowd hoarding (looking at you WA Wailea) beachfront resort on Maui where I can spend 30K points/n and be confirmed in a 1000 sq ft suite instead of $1000/n, then i’ll be gone. gone, i tell ya.
If you are restricted to Maui only, you may be right but there are many properties in this same category (or less) that meet all of your requirements plus some and have excellent service. I hope your stays here are awesome but given our experiences I think we will stick to other hotels that better meet our needs.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:27 pm

“many properties” yet none listed.
i rest my case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.