Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway
The property is not new.
Andaz Maui - 2013
Four Seasons Maui - 1990
Fairmon Kei Lani - 1991
Grand Wailea - 1991

——-

I stand by “new” as it is commonly understood by most English-speaking humans.
Colin likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Didn't it used to be a Westin?
It was originally the Stouffer Wailea back in the 1980's, followed by the Renaissance Wailea. I stayed there under both flags. The property sat vacant for quite a while before undergoing a substantial renovation into the Andaz. While the bones of the structure are mostly the same, the pools, landscaping, and facade have changed so much I would not have recognized it as the same property.
dval44 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm pretty sure it was still the Stouffer when I stayed there in 1995 on an Entertainment Book deal. Those were the days.
DealDetective likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
Actually, the Residence Inn by Marriott near the Andaz was built in 2016.
oh yeah, that’s a comparable...
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by blitzkriegs

Having actually stayed at the Andaz myself and visited friends at the nearby Residence Inn, I thought the room furnishings at the RI were nicer and, of course, newer. Plus all have a kitchenette. But of course, the facility and grounds do not have the style and status of the Andaz. For that just walk over to the Andaz and enjoy the beach, bars and restaurant. And pretend you are simply staying over at the Andaz Annex.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP

Well, a comparable one would be the Marriott... from the noise and look of it over the last 12+ months it might be all new soon (not that I would know, I avoid Marriott every chance I get).

If you want something totally new (nothing is ever totally new, even Andaz kept some building parts in their rebuild) drive down to Makena where they're building the new resort where the golf resort used to be (Makalua I think, just north of Black Sand Beach).
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:39 pm

Having actually stayed at the Andaz myself and visited friends at the nearby Residence Inn, I thought the room furnishings at the RI were nicer and, of course, newer. Plus all have a kitchenette. But of course, the facility and grounds do not have the style and status of the Andaz. For that just walk over to the Andaz and enjoy the beach, bars and restaurant. And pretend you are simply staying over at the Andaz Annex.
Come to Maui... stay at the ‘newer’ residence inn...awesome! And we’ll take a daily trip to the Andaz and use their property. Even better. Does Cousin Eddie get to bring his RV and park it down the street too?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Come to Maui... stay at the ‘newer’ residence inn...awesome! And we’ll take a daily trip to the Andaz and use their property. Even better. Does Cousin Eddie get to bring his RV and park it down the street too?
Well, beaches are public, whether they are in front of a hotel or not. Hotel guests have no more right to their use than anyone else. Most hotel bars and restaurants are open to the public (I go to hotel bars all the time). There's no need to pretend anything. What's the issue here?

As for Eddie... if he can get his RV half way across the pacific I think he should be allowed to park it wherever he wants. I hear there are some pretty strict parking rules though.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Well, beaches are public, whether they are in front of a hotel or not. Hotel guests have no more right to their use than anyone else. Most hotel bars and restaurants are open to the public (I go to hotel bars all the time). There's no need to pretend anything. What's the issue here?

As for Eddie... if he can get his RV half way across the pacific I think he should be allowed to park it wherever he wants. I hear there are some pretty strict parking rules though.
The beach is definitely public, and there's even good public access to it. But the chairs, umbrellas, water, sunscreen, shower, etc. are not public.

I know it's becoming a silly argument, but being able to walk out of your room and on the beach in 60 seconds is just not the same as being up the street with a kitchenette.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
The beach is definitely public, and there's even good public access to it. But the chairs, umbrellas, water, sunscreen, shower, etc. are not public.

I know it's becoming a silly argument, but being able to walk out of your room and on the beach in 60 seconds is just not the same as being up the street with a kitchenette.
I definitely agree with that. I don't cook at home; I'm not cooking when I'm on vacation. This is not something I'd do.

But if people like that better and want to go to the bars and restaurants at the hotel, I'm sure the hotel is happy to take their money.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:05 am

Nice attitude. If you like to throw money away to feel good about yourself go for it. As for using the Andaz property, management is happy to sell drinks and food to anyone.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DealDetective
It was originally the Stouffer Wailea back in the 1980's, followed by the Renaissance Wailea. I stayed there under both flags. The property sat vacant for quite a while before undergoing a substantial renovation into the Andaz. While the bones of the structure are mostly the same, the pools, landscaping, and facade have changed so much I would not have recognized it as the same property.
Thanks for the history. I was wondering "what happened" to a hotel I stayed at in Wailea more than a decade ago (since then, I had pretty much been avoiding Wailea until I recently returned). Unless I'm thinking of a different now-gone Wailea property, did the Renaissance have a small building closer to the beach that was considered a significant upgrade? I remember getting upgraded to this building and thinking I was quite lucky at the time (it was just a random award stay).
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Thanks for the history. I was wondering "what happened" to a hotel I stayed at in Wailea more than a decade ago (since then, I had pretty much been avoiding Wailea until I recently returned). Unless I'm thinking of a different now-gone Wailea property, did the Renaissance have a small building closer to the beach that was considered a significant upgrade? I remember getting upgraded to this building and thinking I was quite lucky at the time (it was just a random award stay).
That was a lucky upgrade! Here's the brochure from 1985 showing the building close to the beach:

Stouffer's Wailea Beach Resort 1985 Brochure
Colin, iahphx and Kacee like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Here's the property map for the Renaissance Wailea in 1998. You must have stayed in the Mokapu wing.

1998 Renaissance Wailea Property map
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:57 pm

Nice attitude. If you like to throw money away to feel good about yourself go for it. As for using the Andaz property, management is happy to sell drinks and food to anyone.
Having a drink at a hotel bar and/or meal, that’s fine. Using the remainder of the property such as the pool and chairs like a hotel guest would, well ...that’s a bit different...

The Andaz also has Kitchenettes too (actually kitchens) if you find that feature appealing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.