Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Duke777

As a globalist on a points stay, I asked and was told they don’t offer paid upgrades. We ended up in a parking lot view room for the first time in 5+ stays.
​​​​​
How bad was the parking lot view (aka "garden view")? My wife and I are going in September on a points stay and we were hoping to upgrade with cash, but it sounds like that may not be a possibility.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dannygberg
How bad was the parking lot view (aka "garden view")? My wife and I are going in September on a points stay and we were hoping to upgrade with cash, but it sounds like that may not be a possibility.
We were fourth floor and end of hallway so it was at least pretty quiet and private. There’s much worse if you’re third floor and/or close to the garbage. Without any view, the rooms are just very drab but there’s plenty to do rather than spend much time in the room.

Septemeber should be be pretty good after school is back in session although this resort always seems near occupancy these days.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Duke777

I emailed in advance and they said they don’t offer advanced paid upgrades. Very lame as we would’ve paid to secure ocean view. Hotel was pretty full when we were there (was wide open a week before though...) as almost nothing other than primier suite and non ocean views showed available except first thing in the morning. I assume others were upgraded to better rooms. I just wish I could pay $100-$150 per night in advance to confirm the room I want.
You could pay for the room you want. Problem solved. Use points somewhere else if the room type/view is that important...
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by boolean64
Maybe my search skills are lacking today but didn't see an answer to this... do the standard rooms have a large bathroom like the suites do? big enough to fit a pack n play? thanks.

I can confirm, because I've used one multiple times myself... well my child has, that a pack 'n play will fit in any room type.

Our favorite place to put the pack 'n play in a standard (not a suite) room is in the closet in the bathroom. You have to run the AC some as the closet gets no airflow (of course you can't close the door), but it just fits and works well.

In the suite, given I wake early and do some work, we still didn't want the child in the living area, so we used the master bath (or even the closet again).
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:34 pm

​​​​​

It varies. If you're at the end of the hall (far end from the lobby and loading dock) it's probably ok for those that "don't care about the view at all and fell like they don't need any view if they don't spend much time in a room".

But, if one is placed right at the beginning of the hall, say first 2-3 room of each of three floors, it's IMO a nightmare - full on view of nothing but a loading dock with trash dumpsters not only the full view but full smell, and noise from early AM trash pickup and F&B deliveries.

That said, points book into those rooms, and as a Diamond I've NEVER been given any of those rooms.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by canyonleo
I can confirm, because I've used one multiple times myself... well my child has, that a pack 'n play will fit in any room type.

Our favorite place to put the pack 'n play in a standard (not a suite) room is in the closet in the bathroom. You have to run the AC some as the closet gets no airflow (of course you can't close the door), but it just fits and works well.

In the suite, given I wake early and do some work, we still didn't want the child in the living area, so we used the master bath (or even the closet again).
You were able to fit the pack n play in the standard room's bathroom?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by faboi0us
You were able to fit the pack n play in the standard room's bathroom?

Actually, in the closet, which is in the bathroom. There really isn't room in the bathroom proper, but if one doesn't use the in-closet dresser drawers, then the closet works, as noted above (note on air flow).
faboi0us likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It varies. If you're at the end of the hall (far end from the lobby and loading dock) it's probably ok for those that "don't care about the view at all and fell like they don't need any view if they don't spend much time in a room".

But, if one is placed right at the beginning of the hall, say first 2-3 room of each of three floors, it's IMO a nightmare - full on view of nothing but a loading dock with trash dumpsters not only the full view but full smell, and noise from early AM trash pickup and F&B deliveries.

That said, points book into those rooms, and as a Diamond I've NEVER been given any of those rooms.
I'm amazed at that smell, walking down the stairs there. Overall, the hotel is so polished that I'm really surprised they haven't figured out some other solution to this problem.

I have wondered if the smell gets into the nearby rooms. I'm fortunate enough to have never been given a room right there. But that water dispenser is convenient, so we often stop there. Man, it can get rank.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Do globalists and/or guest of honor rsvs get free parking here?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Do globalists and/or guest of honor rsvs get free parking here?
Parking is waived on points stay
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by epost1980
Parking is waived on points stay
All points stays or just if you have status? I'll be there in September, but have no status with Hyatt.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:41 pm

All points stays or just if you have status? I'll be there in September, but have no status with Hyatt.
Only for glob or GOH
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern

I have wondered if the smell gets into the nearby rooms. I'm fortunate enough to have never been given a room right there. But that water dispenser is convenient, so we often stop there. Man, it can get rank.

Yeah, I'll use that water station if I'm walking to the Mall (I know how to exit that wing into the valet lot and cut through the Ulua Parking Lot driveway to the street sidewalk) - and sometimes there is a smell from the garbage.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, I'll use that water station if I'm walking to the Mall (I know how to exit that wing into the valet lot and cut through the Ulua Parking Lot driveway to the street sidewalk) - and sometimes there is a smell from the garbage.
I'm tempted to figure that shortcut out, but I'm also happy that I've had no need for that mall in my last several stays at the Andaz.

I typically stop at the Whole Foods near the airport on the way and get snacks and drinks there before I drive over to Wailea.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:11 am

If we do end up getting stuck with a garden view room, is there a particular wing of the property that is preferable?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.