Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I get a 75% bonus with Marriott on all revenue stays compared to Hyatt's 30%

But that fact alone really means nothing, if a comparable night stay (and comparable nice property)... not saying it is that way, just remembering that Marriott (where I refuse to stay due to their points just not being worth that much last I looked long ago) required a lot more points for a say exotic ocean front view suite night vs. what is required at Andaz Maui (or PH Maldives), with their breakfasts, just as comparison.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
Not OT at all - this is the main property thread.

Also, I fully agree. It's almost a bit annoying, in a weird way, because I kinda like going in to town or to another hotel for dinner, but they just aren't typically in the same league.

Funny, when I stay at the property I never have any problem going to Kihei to eat and avoiding the expensive on-property restaurants! That said, I get the breakfast free as Diamond, I have "outdoor enthusiast" hours so I'm long asleep before a Morimoto dinner can be digested, and I'm in my car much of the day anyway hitting the great reef/hiking/sightseeting spots Maui offers.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
At the end of the day though I get a 75% bonus with Marriott on all revenue stays compared to Hyatt's 30%
Its about the strength of the currency and having the availability of the award to book to justify my overall total business
Frequent Miler did some really fascinating research, and it shows that in general Marriott, Hyatt and Hilton have very similar earn vs burn ratios.
https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...ost-rewarding/
https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...ost-rewarding/

Since we're talking Andaz Maui (which is on the higher end range), Hyatt does slightly come out ahead in the "spend to get a free night" category. But as others have mentioned, because Marriott (& Hilton) have a much higher end of their awards chart, sometimes people coming from those brands don't actually realize that Hyatt's lower earnings rate is actually not a problem.

And, the one real big kicker for Hyatt is that Chase points transfer to Hyatt and it's actually valuable to do so. Nobody in their right mind would transfer Chase UR -> Marriott or Amex MR -> Hilton. So, an 80K Chase Ink signup bonus is good for ~3 nights at the Andaz.
Ritz Kapalua is a Category 7 (60K/night), BUT during peak times that goes up to 70K points/night. Even if you get the best CC signup bonus of ~100K Bonvoy points, that's 1.5 nights.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:28 pm

The real killer in comparing Hyatt to the other programs (last I researched) was that with Hyatt a standard room points reward can "become" an ocean front suite with no additional points (e.g. use a TSU, or at Maldives where it's just Cat 7 but all villas are steps to beach/ocean). Last I looked Mariott (and certainly Hilton) required a lot more points (double?) to "upgrade".

And that's where I really like Andaz Maui... for 25k points (for now) (and a TSU) one can get a full ocean view ocean front suite. My impression of Mariott (from long ago, I haven't wanted to stay at Mariott in a long time) was that it took a lot more "corp trip nights at low level properties" to earn a comp vacation room.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by canyonleo
The real killer in comparing Hyatt to the other programs (last I researched) was that with Hyatt a standard room points reward can "become" an ocean front suite with no additional points (e.g. use a TSU, or at Maldives where it's just Cat 7 but all villas are steps to beach/ocean). Last I looked Mariott (and certainly Hilton) required a lot more points (double?) to "upgrade".

And that's where I really like Andaz Maui... for 25k points (for now) (and a TSU) one can get a full ocean view ocean front suite. My impression of Mariott (from long ago, I haven't wanted to stay at Mariott in a long time) was that it took a lot more "corp trip nights at low level properties" to earn a comp vacation room.
that doesn’t sound right, a TSU doesn’t book into a premium suite. If you got one, it was an upgrade, just like I’ve gotten premium suites with Starwood for no extra points via upgrade.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's right.

At one point, a TSU got you an ocean view suite. Now it get you a pool suite.

In practice, I've always been upgraded to an ocean view from a pool anyway, but there's no guarantee.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by dval44
Hey Everyone! New to this thread as I've been looking to book my parents here on points. 3 quick questions and a comment if you don't mind:

1. I was shocked to see plenty of points availability at this property for the coming months. I've read blogs complaining, but immediately saw points availability for weekends in March, 3-4 nights in April. Really didn't expect that! Not every day, obviously, but I am seeing plenty!

2. Is it possible to pay for cash upgrades on a points booking like the PH Maldives? In other words, book for 25,000 points then use cash to get a better room?

3. Is the resort fee + parking fee charged for non-elite points bookings?

4. Anyone have experience with using Hyatt Prive at this property, and is it worth it?

Thanks!
To answer my own questions for other's reference:

1.) Yeah, plenty of availability. just booked three nights in April no prob.

2.) I called the property, and it's definitely not a well-oiled machine like the PH Maldives in terms of paid upgrades for points stays. However, the person at the property was really nice and said they would confirm certain upgrades with me over the phone for an upcharge. But since I didn't have an actual res at that point, the convo didn't go too far.

3.) As I now understand it, resort fee is waved on ALL points bookings, whereas parking fee is only waived for globalists. Further, globalists also get resort fee waived on paid booking.

4.) Didn't hear much on that.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:05 am

That's right.

At one point, a TSU got you an ocean view suite. Now it get you a pool suite.

In practice, I've always been upgraded to an ocean view from a pool anyway, but there's no guarantee.

Exactly. I never mentioned guarantee... and at this property (we're discussing Maui Andaz here) I've never been "forced" to have a pool suite - I've always (every time) either been given a south-facing ocean view suite, or the FO staff has played tetris and found a pair of them with a mid-visit room change, or something similar.

And when I've visited other properties (like PH Maldives) it's been the same thing - OW villa upgrade at no charge, etc. Sometimes it takes a little planning/effort/communications, but that's my experience with Hyatt. If you say Marriott is same, then as I noted, it's been a while since I stayed at Marriott (and now Starwood, which is still my second go to in the big brands).
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sonesta Elite, IHG Platinum, Frontier 100K
Originally Posted by WantOnlinePoker
Based on some initial testing, it looks like the 3-night points availability limitation is still in effect, but they've added availability for 6+ nights as well. It simplifies things for longer stays but 1-2 or 4-5 night stays will still require some games with modifying 3 or 6 night bookings after the fact.
I was actually able to get only 2 nights right after the WN OAK-OGG inaugural. No games required
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:02 pm

Maybe my search skills are lacking today but didn't see an answer to this... do the standard rooms have a large bathroom like the suites do? big enough to fit a pack n play? thanks.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:11 am

Programs: WOH Globalist
Standard rooms don't have a large bathroom, I doubt it would fit a pack and play.

Bathroom Tour starts at 9:10 secs

Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:01 am

What are the cash upgrade rates off of a low status points stay?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JetAway
What are the cash upgrade rates off of a low status points stay?
As a globalist on a points stay, I asked and was told they don’t offer paid upgrades. We ended up in a parking lot view room for the first time in 5+ stays.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke777

As a globalist on a points stay, I asked and was told they don’t offer paid upgrades. We ended up in a parking lot view room for the first time in 5+ stays.
That's really pretty lame. Did you push back at all on that? I wonder if you just got a noob check-in host, or if they were really incredibly full.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
That's really pretty lame. Did you push back at all on that? I wonder if you just got a noob check-in host, or if they were really incredibly full.
I emailed in advance and they said they don’t offer advanced paid upgrades. Very lame as we would’ve paid to secure ocean view. Hotel was pretty full when we were there (was wide open a week before though...) as almost nothing other than primier suite and non ocean views showed available except first thing in the morning. I assume others were upgraded to better rooms. I just wish I could pay $100-$150 per night in advance to confirm the room I want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.