Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by iahphx
I'm not a huge fan of award stays at ultra-expensive resorts with no perks. As a mere "Explorist," I thought I could get some lounge access and breakfast by redeeming one of my four annual Lounge Access Certificates. But Hyatt says there's no lounge at the Andaz, so they can't do anything for me. That kind of sucks. I'm wondering if I'd be better off at the Hyatt Regency in Kaanapali where I could use my certificate. I know that property is older, but with the benefits, would I have a better stay? FWIW, I've recently stayed at the W-A Grand Wailea, so I'm not necessarily opposed to a change in scenery.
I find Hyatt Regency Kanaapali takes good care of Explorist fka Plat, always got an upgraded room with an ocean view and lounge access (now with cert) and the lounge is one of the better ones in the USA.

Thag being said we won’t be staying there again for the reasons stated in the master thread, just can’t deal with the base crowd anymore at the pool. Unless free breakfast is a must have item I would go with the Andaz.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by iahphx

One thing that did factor into our thinking was the fact that, from the Andaz, you can easily walk to the Island Gourmet Market and get a very pleasant breakfast for about $8, It's certainly no Andaz breakfast, but still. That said, on principle, it does make me a bit unhappy that our Explorist status gets us basically nothing at the hotel. That seems wrong.

Is the Island Gourmet the convenience "adjacent" to the mall? If so, don't sleep on the convenience store in the Andaz lobby as I noted (although it will be slightly more expensive, it's more, ah, convenient).

Note, the best Kehei breakfast IMO was Grindz 808, but they closed (the one in Lahaina is still great) and is now a Thai restaurant.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For a decent off-property breakfast or lunch, you should try "The Market":

https://goo.gl/maps/vnEBNyXVgSz

It's on the first floor below Monkeypod (which I find to be declining in quality). So, maybe not as walkable (although, for some, it's a nice walk), but a better value for quality food.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:16 am

Hey Everyone! New to this thread as I've been looking to book my parents here on points. 3 quick questions and a comment if you don't mind:

1. I was shocked to see plenty of points availability at this property for the coming months. I've read blogs complaining, but immediately saw points availability for weekends in March, 3-4 nights in April. Really didn't expect that! Not every day, obviously, but I am seeing plenty!

2. Is it possible to pay for cash upgrades on a points booking like the PH Maldives? In other words, book for 25,000 points then use cash to get a better room?

3. Is the resort fee + parking fee charged for non-elite points bookings?

4. Anyone have experience with using Hyatt Prive at this property, and is it worth it?

Thanks!
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: Four Seasons PP, RW Elite, Dorchester Diamond, Virtuoso, PenClub, Privé, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by dval44
4. Anyone have experience with using Hyatt Prive at this property, and is it worth it? Thanks!
Hyatt Privé will add value and include full daily breakfast for 2 guests per room, $100 Resort Credit, and a possible upgrade based on availability. There is also a 6th night free offer that is available through Prive (valid for stays between April 01, 2019 - December 20, 2019). It is one of my favorite resorts on Maui.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by dval44
Hey Everyone! New to this thread as I've been looking to book my parents here on points. 3 quick questions and a comment if you don't mind:

1. I was shocked to see plenty of points availability at this property for the coming months. I've read blogs complaining, but immediately saw points availability for weekends in March, 3-4 nights in April. Really didn't expect that! Not every day, obviously, but I am seeing plenty!

2. Is it possible to pay for cash upgrades on a points booking like the PH Maldives? In other words, book for 25,000 points then use cash to get a better room?

3. Is the resort fee + parking fee charged for non-elite points bookings?

4. Anyone have experience with using Hyatt Prive at this property, and is it worth it?

Thanks!
Award rates going up here, that's probably why availability is better.
​​​​​​
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by antonius66
​​​​​​
Not sure I follow you there, the rate hasn't gone up yet. If anything, I'd expect availability to get worse as people lock in stays at the lower rate. Availability would improve later after the rate has already gone up.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by antonius66
​​​​​​
I was price checking my 8 night award stay coming up in June which of course is two three night stays plus a two night stay for their silly 3 night award rule and noticed the hotel offered me 8 straight nights for an award stay. Have never seen that at this hotel and even more surprised they are offering it in the middle of summer. Maybe something has changed with the award booking rules at this property?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:46 am

summer is low season
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:23 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by ronbo83

I was price checking my 8 night award stay coming up in June which of course is two three night stays plus a two night stay for their silly 3 night award rule and noticed the hotel offered me 8 straight nights for an award stay. Have never seen that at this hotel and even more surprised they are offering it in the middle of summer. Maybe something has changed with the award booking rules at this property?
Congrats on finding space!
One can only hope this is the new reasonably improved Hyatt/Andz Maui going forward ^
And if so while I look at my Lifetime Titanium Status with Bonvoy and LT Hilton Diamond status as well as some select others
I could put more value on Hyatt's point currency if so
It would be all that more reason to keep the lions share of my business with Hyatt.
At the end of the day though I get a 75% bonus with Marriott on all revenue stays compared to Hyatt's 30%
Its about the strength of the currency and having the availability of the award to book to justify my overall total business
That's why today I rarely fly American Airlines though a Lifetime Platinum
They made awards at Saver Levels so near impossible to book that their mile currency seems valueless on their own metal typically
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:07 pm

i’ll miss the games when every kettle w/ Chase points pounces easily on the few standard rooms
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:47 pm

Based on some initial testing, it looks like the 3-night points availability limitation is still in effect, but they've added availability for 6+ nights as well. It simplifies things for longer stays but 1-2 or 4-5 night stays will still require some games with modifying 3 or 6 night bookings after the fact.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
A bit OT, but have been going to Maui the past 5 years every Xmas/NYE, and I do think the Andaz has some of the best restaurants on the island. You definitely pay for them, but if you are going to be paying for semi-overpriced hotel / tourist property meals generally, Ka'Ana Kitchen / Morimoto are two of the best IMO.
Peatisback likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by ronbo83

This always seems to be a moving target, but when I booked about a month ago, three night and eight night stays were plentiful...it was the 4-7 night stays that were blacked out.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
A bit OT, but have been going to Maui the past 5 years every Xmas/NYE, and I do think the Andaz has some of the best restaurants on the island. You definitely pay for them, but if you are going to be paying for semi-overpriced hotel / tourist property meals generally, Ka'Ana Kitchen / Morimoto are two of the best IMO.
Not OT at all - this is the main property thread.

Also, I fully agree. It's almost a bit annoying, in a weird way, because I kinda like going in to town or to another hotel for dinner, but they just aren't typically in the same league.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.