Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Oct 13, 2017, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo
IMO super horrible for anyone with a young child in the room!
Totally agree. Tragedy waiting to happen.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist; SPG Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JetAway
Totally agree. Tragedy waiting to happen.
I'd have to agree with you both, there are two patios with two doors so you'd have to stay pretty vigilant. Also, as canyonleo mentioned, they're right by the adults only pool (as in facing it). The adults only pool was pretty quiet the whole time I was there, so you may get some dirty looks if your child is playing loudly in your pool, given how close it is. Also, we were there in October & the plunge pool was somewhat chilly, & it's shaded most of the time.

This shows the patio/pool area & how close the adults pool is, just separated by a walkway.

And I don't mean to be 'that guy,' but the Hyatt Regency Maui is much better suited for a 16 month old. Their pools & amenities & restaurants & general location are better for kids, and while the standard rooms could use some work, their suites have been upgraded & are very nice! Personally I'd go there with a young child & save the Andaz Maui for later (or sans kid).
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Will stick to the Andaz, I have Been to the HR Maui 4 yrs ago and it' was ok nothing spectacular.

The pool accesss is for me not for the infant, Mommy is super vigilant... also the infant will be travelling to Maui after 10 nights in Bora Bora in an OWB, hopefully they have had enough of swimming and tubs by then 😄
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by navatwal
Will stick to the Andaz, I have Been to the HR Maui 4 yrs ago and it' was ok nothing spectacular.

The pool accesss is for me not for the infant, Mommy is super vigilant... also the infant will be travelling to Maui after 10 nights in Bora Bora in an OWB, hopefully they have had enough of swimming and tubs by then 😄
Ha that's a lucky kid! I would say it stinks not having a view in those pool view suites, but I'm sure you'll enjoy some pretty awesome views in Bora Bora too! Enjoy
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Acess to a fmaily pool would have been nice, I prefer the ground floor access rather than higher floor.

Do they have other speciality suites on the ground floor with pool / beach access?

Originally Posted by jkjetsetters
Ha that's a lucky kid! I would say it stinks not having a view in those pool view suites, but I'm sure you'll enjoy some pretty awesome views in Bora Bora too! Enjoy
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by navatwal
Acess to a fmaily pool would have been nice, I prefer the ground floor access rather than higher floor.

Do they have other speciality suites on the ground floor with pool / beach access?
Well, the way this property is set up the lobby is on the 4th or 5th floor & then you go down to the 'ground' floor. Even though the pool suites are on the ground floor, it's almost more of a basement level. You can't get to the walkway without either going through the plunge pool or teetering around the edge of the pool (which also means walking across your neighbors' patios if your room is in the middle). And from the interior hallway, you have to either go up the elevator or go up 1 flight of stairs to get outside. So it's not a true ground floor.

Hmm I'm not sure if they have other suite types that do have walkout access, you might have to call & ask b/c the website isn't clear. If I recall correctly, the villas are the only things that walk out to the main pool/beach area. The lagoon pool-the most kid-friendly pool-is at the bottom of the stacked infinity pools, nearest to the beach, & by Morimoto. There aren't any hotel buildings in that area.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:38 pm

is the pool off the patio of the pool suites properly heated to ~84F?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:53 pm

Just returned today from a wonderful 6-night stay. As a Globalist, I've stayed at quite a few Hyatts in the past couple of years, but this one was definitely one of the hardest to leave.

I wanted to share my experience using a globalist tier suite upgrade. I first made an all-points reservation in July, and at that time was told only the pool suites were eligible for upgrade and none were available. For the next couple of months I checked frequently for pool suite availability, and in early September I eventually saw it available for my dates. In the meantime I had made a new reservation using points and cash when that became available in late August.

When I called Hyatt about the pool suite upgrade I was told that only the partial ocean view and ocean view suites were eligible for upgrade. I called the hotel directly to inquire about the change in policy, and they clarified that the policy changed on or near August 7, 2017. I asked if they would honor the previous policy but they refused because my new P+C reservation was made after August 7. This was quite frustrating since I recalled that the partial ocean view and ocean view suites were previously available when I was looking for the pool suite.

However, a week or two later the partial ocean view suite showed availability on the website, but when I called into apply the DSU I was notified that I could not use the DSU because the suite was only available at the member rate not the standard rate, which in my opinion is a bogus game they play to avoid having to honor the DSUs. Luckily, I asked to speak to a Globalist manager who was willing to call the hotel manager directly and was able to confirm a partial ocean suite upgrade for me. A couple days later, I noticed the full ocean view suite was now showing availability, so I contacted the same Globalist manager but I was told that the Andaz Director of Rooms advised that they do not block ocean view suites for DSU use and she apologized for the misinformation. Again, extremely frustrating getting a different story every time we asked.

When we arrived at the hotel, our "partial ocean view" suite was on the first floor directly beside the pool suites, except without the pool. The patio was larger than the other balconies and had nice foliage, but the only view was of trees and the back of the villa buildings. If you stood in one certain spot at the edge of the railing you could barely see a sliver of ocean through the trees. I complained to the front desk that this suite should be categorized as garden view and they said they don't have a garden view suite category, and that this suite probably had more of a view when the resort was new and trees weren't as tall. I also explained that I would not have used my DSU if I had known the suite would have no view. The person I spoke to at the front desk was understanding and promised to talk to the rooms manager and get back to me. A few hours later I got a call saying that they could move us 2 days later to an ocean view suite, which would give us 4 remaining nights in the new suite. We agreed to the move and ultimately were happy with the 2nd suite, which was on the top floor of the Makai wing facing south. It was not on the corner, and thus did not have the second wall of windows like is shown in all the suite photos on the website. However, it did have a sofa with a pull-out couch, which I had been told was only in the deluxe ocean view suites.

I have a hard time believing the video linked a couple pages back was a partial ocean view suite, but if it was then they certainly are not all created equal. Just a heads up for those of you attempting to get a suite upgrade! Despite the suite upgrade problems, we ultimately loved our stay and hope to return some day. Feel free to ask or PM if any specific questions.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Colin
is the pool off the patio of the pool suites properly heated to ~84F?
No. When I visit in September, this pool is usually very cool. It doesn't receive much sun throughout the day.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:48 pm

Andaz Ocean View Suite now listed as standard suite
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:33 am

what's the standard room category for points redemptions?
Old Dec 25, 2017, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by yerffej201
what's the standard room category for points redemptions?
Garden View aka "Dumpster View."

I just searched about 20 dates across the calendar and found nothing, anytime, all the way through January next year.

Last edited by Kacee; Dec 25, 2017 at 10:22 am
Old Dec 25, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
It's hard to find. I'll have my dumpster view room tomorrow
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Glad to be back to this oasis of calmness. Spent the last 6 days at the Regency and it's a great family property but way crowded this time of year. Andaz is sold out too but just a lot less stressful. Fortunate for a x40 suite assignment. Our 4th Christmas season here. Happy holidays all!
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Great award availability (even on single night stays) on Dec 28 thru Jan 2 - hope this helps someone, too bad I just got back from Maui (stayed at the Hyatt Regency, which was actually a pretty nice property)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.