Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:33 am

Heads up at this property that they will not accept Hyatt EGC as payment. It must be the physical card. Worse yet, a friend of mine was there 2 weeks ago and not only di they not accept EGC they had the cards completely deactivated. My friend now has to do a chargeback to the GC company he bought them from
Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Thanks for pointing this out. Any specific reasons why?

I have an upcoming stay here whereby I was planning on using these cards.

Originally Posted by MNHunter
Heads up at this property that they will not accept Hyatt EGC as payment. It must be the physical card. Worse yet, a friend of mine was there 2 weeks ago and not only di they not accept EGC they had the cards completely deactivated. My friend now has to do a chargeback to the GC company he bought them from
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by navatwal
Thanks for pointing this out. Any specific reasons why?

I have an upcoming stay here whereby I was planning on using these cards.
Some of the higher end Hyatts have been victims of fraud due to the fact that it is/was way too easy to crack the Hyatt GC code and now certain properties like this one and ones in NY have declared no EGC and just assuming all EGC are fraudulently obtained. You really don't have any recourse as IIRC the T&Cs state the GCS are not to be re-sold. My friend said they took his EGCs to the back room and called corporate. Corporate checked the history and could see where and how they were originally issued. I *presume* if you bought original EGC from Amazon or something they would take them but my friend had bought his from one of the GC resellers.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hyatt sells eGift Cards on their own website:

https://www.buyatab.com/custom/hyatt...tgiftcards.com

Andaz Maui won't accept those?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, UA silver, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by josephstern

pretty sure if you have a receipt that you bought it from hyatt then you can use it. But as the poster above noted hyatt does not allow reselling of their gift cards so if you buy it from a third party you will not be able to use it at the properties that are cracking down.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by josephstern

Sure they'll accept it (IMO), you bought it directly from Hyatt and when they check the card they will know that but why would one ever buy directly from Hyatt? There's no discount. I suppose as a gift or something.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Unhappy

Originally Posted by MNHunter
Sure they'll accept it (IMO), you bought it directly from Hyatt and when they check the card they will know that but why would one ever buy directly from Hyatt? There's no discount. I suppose as a gift or something.
It seems like even giving/getting one as a gift could be problematic given the reports on here. Or is there some way for Hyatt to know that an EGC went through a reseller as opposed to being gifted?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, UA silver, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by meecal
It seems like even giving/getting one as a gift could be problematic given the reports on here. Or is there some way for Hyatt to know that an EGC went through a reseller as opposed to being gifted?
Again as long as you have a receipt from hyatt you will be fine.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:55 pm

I used DSU for Pool Suite... which is better Pool or Ocean View Suite?
Just called in and confirmed a DSU for a 5 night stay in early Nov. They said it was the Partial Ocean view suite.

Also, if you look at the description it does now say:
Andaz Partial Ocean View Suite
This 850-square-foot suite boasts a master bedroom, separate living area, and luxurious partial ocean views. This is a standard suite. See World of Hyatt program terms for upgrade eligibility.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by senyah
Just called in and confirmed a DSU for a 5 night stay in early Nov. They said it was the Partial Ocean view suite.

Also, if you look at the description it does now say:
Andaz Partial Ocean View Suite
This 850-square-foot suite boasts a master bedroom, separate living area, and luxurious partial ocean views. This is a standard suite. See World of Hyatt program terms for upgrade eligibility.
Partial Ocean View Suite in my guess must be a Makai on right as walking down hall unit (so above a Pool Suite unit), where the view is partially blocked by the condos or just a view of the West Island (windmill row) and ocean.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo
Partial Ocean View Suite in my guess must be a Makai on right as walking down hall unit (so above a Pool Suite unit), where the view is partially blocked by the condos or just a view of the West Island (windmill row) and ocean.
It's my first time to the property, so don't know much about the wings. However, if I look at the room layout this recent
- it does seem to be a corner room overlooking some of the pool area and then the ocean in the distance.

Hopefully, it will be something on a higher floor so that there are fewer obstructions. Wouldn't mind an upcharge to a Full Ocean View suite, so will see how it goes during check-n.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by senyah
It's my first time to the property, so don't know much about the wings. However, if I look at the room layout this recent video review - it does seem to be a corner room overlooking some of the pool area and then the ocean in the distance.

Hopefully, it will be something on a higher floor so that there are fewer obstructions. Wouldn't mind an upcharge to a Full Ocean View suite, so will see how it goes during check-n.
The Makai wing has two suites situated at the end of the hall (closest to ocean), x39 and x40. I might have them reversed, but I think x40 is on the left and x39 on the right, as one walks away from the elevator), and x39 has a mostly north-facing view (and somewhat out/west) and thus is partial ocean view (or should be, IMO). The other (x40 if I'm correct and not reversing them) on the left of the hall faces mostly south (and somewhat west) and thus is full ocean view (or should be, IMO) as there is much ocean view to south as well as west.

That view in the vid you post is the latter, not former.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
x39 is on the left facing south, x40 is on the right facing north (L/R based on walking from the elevator). Fond memories of watching the fireworks at the Grand Wailea to ring in the new year's from 739. Quite a nice room I have to say.

DSUs booking into partial ocean views is actually an upgrade, given that there are only 4 pool side suites, and if I had to guess, double the number of partials (there are some on the North and South wings floor 4 and up). Although I think x39 and x40 have changed classifications to the Andaz suite category.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
I used a DSU for an upcoming stay in Dec, I was booked into a PoolSide Suite...

Is the Room the same size as Ocean View Suite?

Is it the same suite but renamed?

Are the pool side suites ground level and do they have easy access to the pool?

Trying to work out which location is best with a 16 month old.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:55 pm

I used a DSU for an upcoming stay in Dec, I was booked into a PoolSide Suite...

Is the Room the same size as Ocean View Suite?

Is it the same suite but renamed?

Are the pool side suites ground level and do they have easy access to the pool?

Trying to work out which location is best with a 16 month old.
Pool Suites are ground floor north-facing side of Makai wing, with a pool right where the balcony (if not ground floor) would be. IMO super horrible for anyone with a young child in the room!

Also, if you're thinking "no worries, we'll use the pool with the kid", the mail pool on the north side is adults only (but that's separated from the small semi-private at-the-door pool that you have).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.