Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ac921ol
Nope not status with Hyatt, shot some emails around, dropped a name, and got an email back confirming.

"To help make your 1st anniversary visit a special one, we are able to upgrade you and your wife from a Garden King to a Full Ocean King room. We hope you will have a great visit to Maui and a memorable stay at our resort."
Very nice, have a great time! ^
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: HH Gold-IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mattolo
Very nice, have a great time! ^
Yeah, I was worried about reading all the negativity the past few weeks, so I was happy they were able to upgrade me.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by mattolo
Do you have status with Hyatt, and how do you know you were upgraded already?
Saves those emails. They promised me the same and did the switch when I got onsite and blamed high occupancy, even though it was available for purchase online.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jtalstad
I wonder if this change, occurring just after our recent stay, was prompted by food costs. I doubt we consumed enough to skew the bottom line for the accounting group but during our wonderful stay we witnessed one particular family who may have.

A group of two men, two women and a young girl helped themselves one morning to the ENTIRE BOWL of raspberries, taking it back to their table. I asked Jenny if there were more and she sadly informed me, no, there were no more.

The next morning I told my wife I wanted to get down earlier to get a few raspberries. We saw the same group, I kid not, walking about ten pounds of bacon back to their table.
If the family in question ate all of the food that they took, then I have zero problem with this. It is not the responsibility of the guests to be mindful of leaving food for others at a luxury hotel; it is the hotel's responsibility to assure proper supply.

Of course, if they just commandeered it all to have it for themselves and left two thirds of it to waste, that would be beyond the pale.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by ashap
I'm planning a stay here in January on points.

Has anyone redeemed Hyatt gift cards for the room charges at check-out? I'm wondering as the acceptability of these at the property before I get some gift cards.
Had no issue with redeeming Hyatt Gift Cards in June.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by vbkamb
For those who have Diamond status and have stayed recently as well, is spa access still complimentary for Diamonds?

When the hotel opened, it was free for all guests, but I see now that the charge to access the facilities is $45 per person, per day, without a service.
I was there every day for four days in June. No charge.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
About wasted food, the Andaz does a good job with wasted food. It turns it into fertilizer.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
This.

Someone has to come up with a new acronym that more accurately describes this new level of entitlement.
The breakfast extras would be nice. I agree with fireworksboy, though. However, I don't consider myself to be much of a NTBWSAC guy, so I wouldn't take the limitations too personally.

=Not True Breakfast Without Steak And Champagne

This hotel looks pretty nice.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: HH Gold-IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Saves those emails. They promised me the same and did the switch when I got onsite and blamed high occupancy, even though it was available for purchase online.
What ended up happening?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:56 pm

Programs: GP Dia, HH Dia, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by exmike
We were there at the same time it sounds like. I was in the suite 126 ground floor with a partial private plunge pool. Easy access to the adult only pool from our balcony was nice. I second that the couch is strangely small and cheap compared to the rest of the room. Especially the huge hardwood table with seating for (at least) six. Also strange to me was the complete lack of cutlery and plating in the swing out doors of the wet bar. It made it hard to eat your own food or to even mix your own drinks. Sunset from the lobby and poolside bar was phenomenal. If they had a happy hour, it would've made it perfect.

I would definitely return as well, a solid 4 star resort.
I agree about the couch. Odd and not very comfy. The patio furniture in the suite looks nice but is super uncomfortable. Were all checked into a plunge pool partial ocean view. Everyone is extremely nice and accommodating. We were given andaz refillable water bottles and it looks like they just received a large shipment of them. I spoke with the front desk and they kindly explained that they have changed breakfast for diamonds. We ended up doing full breakfast and it is definitely a great experience. We didn't order anything off the menu, but did get some juice and a some freshly made coffee.
Next time if we just have the diminished diamond breakfast I would be fine with it. While the juice and hot stuff is fantastic the neutella brioche will keep me full :-P
Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:52 am

Using Breakfast as a Credit

Earlier in the post, someone mentioned that Diamonds could use the breakfast as a credit toward other F&B charges. Is this still the case post-breakfast downgrade? And would it be for the $28 or so per person?

We are booked for 14 nights next summer and to be honest we don't really need to be eating that full buffet each day. We were at the property several nights this summer. The buffet is nice and it is disappointing to see Hyatt reduce the benefit, but my waist and cholesterol level don't need all that bacon and other assorted treats.

Thanks.

Last edited by TKKY; Aug 31, 2014 at 1:45 pm
Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by TKKY
Earlier in the post, someone mentioned that Diamonds could use the breakfast as a credit toward other F&B charges. Is this still the case post-breakfast downgrade? And would it be for the $28 or so per person?

We are booked for 14 nights next summer and to be honest we don't really need to be eating that full buffet each day. We were at the property several nights this summer. The buffet is nice and it is disappointing, but my waist and cholesterol level don't need all that bacon and other assorted treats.

Thanks.
Actually I just called the front desk and found out that the diamond benefit is just for the breakfast and cannot be used for other F&B expenses.

And get this - the $17 upgrade fee is the same for an adult or for a child!
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
We are booked for 14 nights next summer.....
Holy moly. Have a great time. 14 days anywhere on vacation is about 7 days too long for me. Andaz could be the place though.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: GP Dia, HH Dia, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Actually I just called the front desk and found out that the diamond benefit is just for the breakfast and cannot be used for other F&B expenses.

And get this - the $17 upgrade fee is the same for an adult or for a child!
Wow! Do they distinguish between ages for a child? I.e. 3 and under free or is anybody under 18 considered a child and must be paid for?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by DjRashonal
Wow! Do they distinguish between ages for a child? I.e. 3 and under free or is anybody under 18 considered a child and must be paid for?
I just asked about a "child." Mine will be ten, so I didn't feel like trying to negotiate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.