Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:19 am

Programs: A bunch
Originally Posted by flyinghigh2011
I heard someone state they have unlimited mimosas for $15??? Where at and is it all day??

Also how long does the complimentary outrigger canoeing activity take and for those who did it, was it worth the time?

thanks
Dont know about the canoe but but the mimosas are available for breakfast. I ordered them. You can have have as many as u want but when your done with breakfast im pretty sure your done with mimosas. However i did ask if i could get one to go and they did but they has to put it in a plastic cup. If your diamond your breakfast is free mimosas included. I had the $25 bento box and the unlimited mimosas and it was free as i was on a diamond trial.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:33 am

What are the transportation options from the Airport to the property?
i.e. how much is taxi one way?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by shingu79
What are the transportation options from the Airport to the property?
i.e. how much is taxi one way?
$50-$60 + tip.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:41 pm
Used to be highman123

My two cents about this fantastic hotel:

http://www.mightytravels.com/1323275...lea_hawaii.php
I have been to many beautiful Hawaii (Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt Kauai, Marriott) hotels and resorts. The Andaz management has built a great looking property as well. However unique from my experience is the polished experience – the fantastic food and high quality of Hyatt costumer service experience. Frankly I think this is the best 'chain' hotel in Hawaii now. There were a number of special room rates (2for1) that expired but if you can get this property for $200-$300 it's a winner. I would certainly not pay $1,000 per night for the experience though
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Fantastic.. Prior to January 7th, 2014.. Andaz front desk allowed me to switch my 7 night DSU reservation, for 2 - 6,000 HGP suite upgrades for up to 4 nights apiece. Kept rate intact. Yesterday, they allowed me to combine it with My Elite Rate.

Still astronomically expensive, but I'm definitely keeping the stay intact.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:17 pm

@Mightytravels - lots of nice pictures, thanks. BTW I think all the rooms have fridges, they're just hidden away in the furniture. Have to be a burglar!
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by sam_goh
@Mightytravels - lots of nice pictures, thanks. BTW I think all the rooms have fridges, they're just hidden away in the furniture. Have to be a burglar!
And while they are normal "mini-bar" size, they do not have any fixed-stocking-shelve type structure (those shelves that measure when something is removed) and the shelving is adjustable to make room for whatever one might buy at local markets.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:57 am

I'm staying here in late March and tried reading as much of the thread as I could, and apologize if some of my questions were already answered.

1. I see a lot of you are getting suite upgrades with Diamond status. My understanding is that the suite certificates can only be used on paid stays (not award stays). Are all of you guys who got a suite paying cash for your stays? I've reserved 4 nights on points already and will sign up for the Diamond Challenge closer to my reservation date. The Diamond status should get me a room upgrade if available (sounds like the hotel is only 50-80% booked from you guys' reports, so some sort of upgrade seems likely), but a suite sure sounds nice. To get an upgrade (suite or otherwise), do I call/email the hotel beforehand to inquire, or is it upon check-in?

2. Transportation from OGG to the hotel. Someone asked just a few posts above me, and it seems the cab fee is $60-70, which is way more than I want to pay. I'm probably going to rent a car, but then I'm facing $35-40/night parking fees. Any options to reduce parking fees? Is taking a shuttle from the airport to hotel a reasonable option? I've never been to Hawaii before, but from what I've read, a car is a good idea. Do you guys agree?

Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I've never been to Hawaii before, but from what I've read, a car is a good idea. Do you guys agree?

Thanks!

Depends on what type of experience/vacation you want. Some go there and don't leave the property, doing days pool-side or on the great Mokapu or Ulua beaches... eating the good food at the restaurants on property... maybe some spa or hotel activities (boating for example) too.

Others get in the car and experience Maui, maybe don't see the hotel from after breakfast until bed time. Maui has amazing beaches, hikes, waterfalls, food options, surfing/snorkeling/scuba/fishing - and for this one needs a car.

There are free parking options around the hotel, search this thread for "Kihei Option".
Old Jan 15, 2014, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I'm staying here in late March and tried reading as much of the thread as I could, and apologize if some of my questions were already answered.

1. I see a lot of you are getting suite upgrades with Diamond status. My understanding is that the suite certificates can only be used on paid stays (not award stays). Are all of you guys who got a suite paying cash for your stays? I've reserved 4 nights on points already and will sign up for the Diamond Challenge closer to my reservation date. The Diamond status should get me a room upgrade if available (sounds like the hotel is only 50-80% booked from you guys' reports, so some sort of upgrade seems likely), but a suite sure sounds nice. To get an upgrade (suite or otherwise), do I call/email the hotel beforehand to inquire, or is it upon check-in?

2. Transportation from OGG to the hotel. Someone asked just a few posts above me, and it seems the cab fee is $60-70, which is way more than I want to pay. I'm probably going to rent a car, but then I'm facing $35-40/night parking fees. Any options to reduce parking fees? Is taking a shuttle from the airport to hotel a reasonable option? I've never been to Hawaii before, but from what I've read, a car is a good idea. Do you guys agree?

Thanks!
Myself, I'm on a paid stay.

You can make a points and cash reservation, utilize your DSU, and receive stay credit. Just double checking you're aware of this new feature which started January 7, 2014.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 3:02 pm

1. I see a lot of you are getting suite upgrades with Diamond status.

2. $35-40/night parking fees. Any options to reduce parking fees? Is taking a shuttle from the airport to hotel a reasonable option? I've never been to Hawaii before, but from what I've read, a car is a good idea. Do you guys agree?

Thanks!
To be clear: People getting suites are generally on paid rates and using diamond suite upgrades. I don't remember seeing any posts of gratis upgrades to suites in this thread. Diamond here should get you upgraded to a partial ocean view instead of the garden that an award booking checks into.

Parking is what it is. There are other "free" options if you peruse the thread but they're going to be hit or miss. If you're just going to laze, car is not needed. But there's so much Maui to see and do, I would get a car.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Beautiful hotel. They don't nickel and dime you with resort fees, wifi fees, spa fees, beach umbrella's, etc. The only item charged is valet fee, which is pretty standard throughout any hotel in U.S.

I'm not crazy about the "ocean view". For $150 more a night, I don't see a lot of Ocean. They gave me a complimentary upgrade, otherwise I'd be upset if I had to pay more.

After cruising the other hotels in Wailea, the Andaz is not the kid friendliest. Their pools do not have slides, kid's play area, etc. Otherwise, everything is beautiful and staff is super friendly. I'd stay here again, but if you're looking for more entertainment for kids, I'd check out the other hotels.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
You could rent a car in Kihei or even Wailea for the days you need it to explore far afield. Kihei trip can be done on Maui bus but beyond that it takes forever to get anywhere.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by fishy21
After cruising the other hotels in Wailea, the Andaz is not the kid friendliest. Their pools do not have slides, kid's play area, etc. Otherwise, everything is beautiful and staff is super friendly. I'd stay here again, but if you're looking for more entertainment for kids, I'd check out the other hotels.
We are considering the Andaz Maui for our upcoming trip to Maui (we've never been) and we have a 9 year old (he will be when we travel). You mention that there are more kid-friendly hotels. Do you mind sharing which those are in so far as water slides and a kid's play area?

Also, how is the beach in front of the Maui Andaz? Is boogie boarding possible?

Thank you.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:31 pm

No waves for boogie boarding, just great amazing sand to play in, and great reef for beginner level snorkeling. Nearest good waves/boarding beach is a few miles south, I'd say Big Beach (Little Beach even better, but...).

If one has a kid that needs playgrounds (e.g. pools, slides, activities, etc.) then there are better options than Andaz. But if beach and ocean is good enough, then maybe good enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.