Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Busan - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2013, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Just finished up a business trip in Busan and had a chance to stay at the new-ish Park Hyatt there. Short form review (until I get back to do it in its proper format).

The property: Gorgeous building in Haeundae, near the sea and beach with views of the Gwangan bridge and marina. The bridge really makes for great photos at night. Building is definitely a sight on the Busan skyline with its curved glass definitely a striking sight on the drive in.

The room. Corner suite with a view of the bridge. Everything here is brand new, and all the controls are automated, including electric window shades, blackout curtains, etc. Think a lot of buttons for better or worse.

Problems: Living Room restaurant and brunch.

Teething problems mainly with its servers in the lounge and Living Room restaurant. Very brusque service in English. Not trying to pick faults as English is a second language but I expected more of a Park Hyatt. Quiet chat with hotel management and they were quick to acknowledge their faults and promised to retrain the staff. Offered compensation for a brunch done in by staff inattentiveness and favoritism. Nice touch of having a phone call and handwritten note by the Director of Food and Beverage.

Stay here if you're in Busan. Lightyears ahead of the Paradise and Westin Chosun hotels.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:44 am

Sounds great, although I have always liked the Westin.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by camsean
Sounds great, although I have always liked the Westin.
I liked the Westin before as well. It's got the beachfront location but showing the age of the property.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Expanded review - Part 1 of rooming at the PHT Busan.

Finally got a moment to do this up right. I'm going to separate the hotel room and hotel itself from the horrendous dining experiences.

This is the newest Park Hyatt in Asia, located in Haeundae-gu, Busan, South Korea. The Park Hyatt Busan shares its space with the IPark apartment buildings near the sea and beach with views of the Gwangan bridge and marina. The bridge really makes for great photos at night.

It's an eerie contrast compared to the older apartments around there. It sticks out like a tall, glass thumb. I don't mind the architecture or boldness as Korea has enough cookie cutter apartments and districts.

The Room --

It was a delightful Corner suite with a view of the bridge and marina. The bed is top-notch quality. Firm and comfortable. You just want to jump into it and lay there. The motif is a modern chic (read: dark noir) with Japanese or Asian hinoki wood finishes. It's a common theme through most high-end and business hotels. I think I've seen the same bathroom accessories at Lotte city hotel in Mapo, Seoul though.

All the controls are automated, including electric window shades, blackout curtains, etc. Think a lot of buttons for better or worse. I liked how the panel was real close to the bed on the side of the nightstand. Cleverer than putting a control box on the nightstand itself.

Bathroom: Satisfactory with dual vanities and a tub. Clean and new. PHT Busan uses Bergamote tolietries. Pleasant but nothing to write home about.

Overall, the hotel is stunning but the service was a mixed bag. English was a definite problem for some employees. I expected more from the Park Hyatt but am willing to give it a pass since they're still going through teething problems. The only complaint I could see guests having is that the location is secluded. It is a solid 10-15 minute walk to Haeundae beach and subway (longer for slow walkers). I guess most people staying at the Park Hyatt can also afford a taxi or drive their shiny, expensive car.

As I said before, definitely consider the PHT Busan for your business travel needs. Paradise and the Westin need to up their game because there's a new shiny thumb in town.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 6:37 am
DH

I'm in the middle of 3 nights stay and its staffs are definitely going through teething problem specially restaurant servers. All of staff I ran across are very young and they seems like going by the book and not well-versed in GP awards rules. BTW I had explain the difference between suite award vs suite upgrade award. My short summary would be great hard product but soft product needs work (work in progress).

P.S. This is first PH I didn't receive short welcoming note from GM with the amenity gift. I understand that it's a small thing but I DO appreciate it.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yeah, I coined it the flawed jewel of Busan in another review I wrote for another site. Did you have problems at Dining Room or Living Room or both?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If it gets unbearable then ask for David Simon (assistant director of Dining and Beverage, not the restaurant floor manager. Here's his email: [email protected]. He would definitely appreciate the feedback.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Recently went back to the PHT Busan for a 4th of July dinner at the Dining Room. First impressions were favourable. The welcome is smooth, the service charming and graceful. Fellow diners range from jeans-clad tourists to Russian ladies in Chanel nibbling on Kobe sliders to businessmen having their company hweisik with tons of expensive wine. It's definitely a grown-up atmosphere and those with kids would probably be better off at the Living Room, one floor below.

We did the cher's experience set menu with wine tasting. It was very filling and absolutely delicious. It sure made up for the terrible monsoon weather we'd been having in Busan.

This amuse bouche was nothing to write home about. Smoked salmon with grated parm and a bit of yuzu infusion. Felt uninspired.

One of my favs of the night. Not drenched in sauce and quite light.

Warmed the belly up but wish it was a bigger serving of soup. Felt right after coming in from the rain.

Felt very high class with the copper pans and candles.

Broiled lobster and Australian wagyu. Let me state for the record that I am a steak purist: I like my beef seared, salted and peppered. Full stop. No sauce, no garnish, no sputtering pats of butter. It was nice they offered a compliment of homemade sauces for the wife though.

Creamiest mashed potatoes ever. Almost worth the price of admission right there!

The apple pie was a nice slice of Americana as well.

There are issues. The small menu is repetitive: if you and your party don't like meat or sushi then you're pretty much SOL. Sides are extra and a bit pricey if you're not ordering the set menu.

Last edited by Aventine; Jul 5, 2013 at 9:03 pm
Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:54 am
DH

Smile

Originally Posted by Aventine
If it gets unbearable then ask for David Simon (assistant director of Dining and Beverage, not the restaurant floor manager. Here's his email: [email protected]. He would definitely appreciate the feedback.
It was Sat morning that restaurant staffs seemed overwhelmed. Other days were better.

Overall, I'm pleased with overall stay.

Here are pictures I took during my stay...

https://picasaweb.google.com/1062426...ParkHyattBusan

P.S. For family of four (with 12 and 12 yrs old), a King bed room with roll-away bed worked out better than two twin beds room. For Diamond member, the roll-away bed fee was waived along with breakfast for all unlike the previous stay at Seoul D-Cube City Sheraton. It's one of the reasons I prefer Hyatt GP program over SPG.

P.P.S. We didn't eat at hotel other than breakfast; there are so much local options.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DH
It was Sat morning that restaurant staffs seemed overwhelmed. Other days were better.

Overall, I'm pleased with overall stay.

Here are pictures I took during my stay...

https://picasaweb.google.com/1062426...ParkHyattBusan

P.S. For family of four (with 12 and 12 yrs old), a King bed room with roll-away bed worked out better than two twin beds room. For Diamond member, the roll-away bed fee was waived along with breakfast for all unlike the previous stay at Seoul D-Cube City Sheraton. It's one of the reasons I prefer Hyatt GP program over SPG.

P.P.S. We didn't eat at hotel other than breakfast; there are so much local options.
Yeah very true but don't always have time to explore on business. Did you notice this near the coffee maker?

I think an international hotel chain should refrain from using a superior quality generic sweetener from the Costco across the stream.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 11:16 pm
DH

Yeah very true but don't always have time to explore on business. Did you notice this near the coffee maker?

(Removed quoted picture)

I think an international hotel chain should refrain from using a superior quality generic sweetener from the Costco across the stream.
Yes, I didn't understood why the hotel chose Costco brand sugar either.

Last edited by peteropny; Jul 8, 2013 at 7:26 am Reason: Remove quoted pic per FT rules
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It was that way during lunch at the Living Room and dinner at Dining Room. Wouldn't kill them to import a few boxes of Splenda for the chain's image and prestige.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:36 am

if you and your party don't like meat or sushi then you're pretty much SOL.
Um, welcome to Korea. This is the whole country.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by keirnna
Um, welcome to Korea. This is the whole country.
No, it's just the way Dining Room made their menu. Also, they probably don't want to bite their other hand underneath in the Living Room. Korea is much, much more than grilled meat and raw fish.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 1:11 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt - L. Dia. Hilton Dia. Priority Club Plat.
Park Hyatt Busan

Checked in 3 nights ago for a 2 week business trip. Used two Diamond suite upgrade certs, (one per week) and they gave me a spacious corner suite. First impressions have been excellent. ^^

Pool, sauna, steam rooms, and spa are first rate and they gave me a free pass as a Diamond. Many families so pool is crowded on weekend. But NOT as crowded as Hundai Beach.

Had dinner 2 time in Living room and once in Dining room so far. Excellent service and quality, price on the high side, but certainly in line with other hotels of quality. Will try room service and report on that if anyone interested. They told me breakfast in Dining room is complimentary for Diamonds, although you do have to sign a check, they said they would remove it at check out. Breakfast is excellent, full service buffet, fresh squeezed juices, and they open at 6 AM which is excellent for folks on business who need to leave at 6:30 to beat most of the traffic.

All Staff have been attentive, friendly, and helpful, so I do see improvement over previous reports. Replenish bowl fruits daily, orange and tangerines, and some nice sweet snacks provided complimentary and replenished today.

Took the Limo Bus from Airport $7,000 KRW and it drops you off directly in front of the hotel, across the street, Saw one of the same buses come directly to front door for pick up around 6:30 AM while waiting for my ride. Have used the Limo bus many times before for previous visits to the Novotel. Seems to be the most efficient and safe methods to and from the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.