Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Sep 4, 14, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
What happens if you've booked a rate that includes breakfast, like "good morning sunshine"? Do you get the full or reduced breakfast?
Old Sep 4, 14, 11:39 pm

After all the good reviews I feel like it's necessary for me to put in my word. Stayed a weekend as a diamond member on a points+cash. Booked over a month and a half out and couldn't book a suite upgrade. Ended up with a "garden view"room. . Hint there is no "garden" it is a lawn with some palm trees. Upon check in i was not recognized as a diamond member. I was not told about any amenities (free breakfast? ) or a check in gift, or the free spa access. I had to come back to the front desk later and ask them: "hey, uh, do diamond members get anything here? " that was awkward. The breakfast was garbage for a hotel of this caliber. Some cut up fruits, some bread, and an overcooked pot of eggs and vegetables. There wasn't a single meat available, unless you either ordered one as a side or ate the salmon, and those were pretty skimpy. I would probably rather walk into town and by breakfast at a local pub than pay the$25+$10 for a side + $5 for a coffee that this place charges. Speaking of absurd pricing, it has a "market" that is open 24/7. Well, the market has $8 single cans of beer. That's all I needed to know, didn't even check anything else. The hot tub is Luke warm. Parking is $30 a day (free in town). Snorkel gear is $20+ a day ($1.5 in town) If you were to live completely in this hotel without leaving it would probably run you at $500+ a day. The beach is kind of lame, but at least it is within driving distance of some nice ones. Some pros at this hotel are the awesome spa staff (don't go in the jacuzzi though, I swear I caught this creepy mop had dude jerkin off in it), the Internet is great, and the room is "cool". I'm just really not that impressed. My points were much better spent at the all inclusive in Cabo. Yes, I understand that then you have to be in Mexico instead of Hawaii, but in regards to actual value I believe the andaz provides little other than location. 6.5/10
Old Sep 5, 14, 8:59 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by llbad View Post
After all the good reviews I feel like it's necessary for me to put in my word. Stayed a weekend as a diamond member on a points+cash. Booked over a month and a half out and couldn't book a suite upgrade. Ended up with a "garden view"room. . Hint there is no "garden" it is a lawn with some palm trees. Upon check in i was not recognized as a diamond member. I was not told about any amenities (free breakfast? ) or a check in gift, or the free spa access. I had to come back to the front desk later and ask them: "hey, uh, do diamond members get anything here? " that was awkward. The breakfast was garbage for a hotel of this caliber. Some cut up fruits, some bread, and an overcooked pot of eggs and vegetables. There wasn't a single meat available, unless you either ordered one as a side or ate the salmon, and those were pretty skimpy. I would probably rather walk into town and by breakfast at a local pub than pay the$25+$10 for a side + $5 for a coffee that this place charges. Speaking of absurd pricing, it has a "market" that is open 24/7. Well, the market has $8 single cans of beer. That's all I needed to know, didn't even check anything else. The hot tub is Luke warm. Parking is $30 a day (free in town). Snorkel gear is $20+ a day ($1.5 in town) If you were to live completely in this hotel without leaving it would probably run you at $500+ a day. The beach is kind of lame, but at least it is within driving distance of some nice ones. Some pros at this hotel are the awesome spa staff (don't go in the jacuzzi though, I swear I caught this creepy mop had dude jerkin off in it), the Internet is great, and the room is "cool". I'm just really not that impressed. My points were much better spent at the all inclusive in Cabo. Yes, I understand that then you have to be in Mexico instead of Hawaii, but in regards to actual value I believe the andaz provides little other than location. 6.5/10
Thanks for posting your opinion. Here's mine. I totally agree with the luck of the draw and the bummer when a Diamond who can't confirm an upgraded room type gets stuck in a "garden view" (could mean "receiving dock view") due to a full house - but that's out of the hotel's control unless one is arguing that they didn't block properly to recognize a Diamond when they could have.

But anyone that would even consider walking onto an all-inclusive property is kind of the opposite type of me. The smoked fish, fresh fruits (and not just a bowl of banana and apple and orange) and some fresh breads is all I'd eat anyway if this wasn't The Breakfast Experience that it was (was), there's no need to pay the parking like other Wailea hotels (Andaz here is just like the others), I don't use pools, and the beach is far from average, it's one of the best beaches/reefs in all of Maui that isn't undeveloped with no hotel nearby (thus I'd rate it close to awesome). Really, for a hotel beach/reef, name a better one on Maui... Black Rock and DigMe, no; Old Airport, no; the larger and more crowded Wailea, no; Kapalua, well maybe; Nipili, reef not as good but beach certainly is. Ulua and Mokapu beaches are awesome for hotel beaches on Maui, and Ulua reef is amazing for the beginner, and pretty damn good for an expert, for a hotel reef.

But, yeah, if one is the stay on property type, and the plan consists of sit at the pool all day, only eat on property, and hit the bar in the evening, then there's probably better options in Maui, and certainly in Mexico or DR.
Old Sep 5, 14, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo View Post
Thanks for posting your opinion. Here's mine. I totally agree with the luck of the draw and the bummer when a Diamond who can't confirm an upgraded room type gets stuck in a "garden view" (could mean "receiving dock view") due to a full house - but that's out of the hotel's control unless one is arguing that they didn't block properly to recognize a Diamond when they could have.

But anyone that would even consider walking onto an all-inclusive property is kind of the opposite type of me. The smoked fish, fresh fruits (and not just a bowl of banana and apple and orange) and some fresh breads is all I'd eat anyway if this wasn't The Breakfast Experience that it was (was), there's no need to pay the parking like other Wailea hotels (Andaz here is just like the others), I don't use pools, and the beach is far from average, it's one of the best beaches/reefs in all of Maui that isn't undeveloped with no hotel nearby (thus I'd rate it close to awesome). Really, for a hotel beach/reef, name a better one on Maui... Black Rock and DigMe, no; Old Airport, no; the larger and more crowded Wailea, no; Kapalua, well maybe; Nipili, reef not as good but beach certainly is. Ulua and Mokapu beaches are awesome for hotel beaches on Maui, and Ulua reef is amazing for the beginner, and pretty damn good for an expert, for a hotel reef.

But, yeah, if one is the stay on property type, and the plan consists of sit at the pool all day, only eat on property, and hit the bar in the evening, then there's probably better options in Maui, and certainly in Mexico or DR.
A small rebuttal:

-The lack of an upgrade could very well have been a direct result of the complete lack of diamond recognition whatsoever.

-I referred to "Maui Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook" for all of my beach trips, and trusted their judgement in regards to good snorkeling/beaches. Hell, we saw 10+ sea turtles in the area we went, and had an entire private beach cove to ourselves and one other group.

-I don't know what you see in the breakfast, but I have better continentals at residence inns. The service was really good, I'll give them that, but what is good service when you have a subpar product?

-Just because there is a "parking secret" for this hotel where you need to walk or lie to the shuttle guy to get to your parked rental, does not justify giving kudos to the hotel. I don't care if all of the hotels have a monopoly on parking or not, $30/day is too much, period.

Anyway, we barely spent any time at the hotel, but when we did it felt like a big money-grabbing scam. I like to feel like I'm coming "home" upon returning from the road to Hana, and I wasn't getting this vibe from the Andaz at all.
Old Sep 5, 14, 11:59 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Good rebuttal... no one hates paying for parking more than me
And, I agree about the upgrades, could be due to house being full or due to lack of recognition or bad effort in blocking.

Maui Revealed is pretty accurate for beach and reef descriptions, but note that most of the great beaches it lists (and you and I would recognize) are not "hotel beaches", they are remote beaches (like Honolua and Slaughters, or Little Beach or La Peruse, or even White Rocks)... thus for a hotel beach/reef Mokapu-Ulua really can't be knocked.
Old Sep 5, 14, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I expect more bad reviews to come in now that breakfast is gone. Again, that was the only good thing with the hotel.
Old Sep 5, 14, 12:45 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I can't wait to eventually stay at this hotel. I don't have reservations yet or any immediate plans but after reading all these active responses over the breakfast scandal, the excessive parking fees, the uncomfortable chairs on the room balcony etc....my expectations are now at a low enough level that I'm certain the actual stay at this property will exceed these expectations and I would have a wonderful stay.

I'm waiting for someone to comment on how they think the toilet is uncomfortable and then my expectations will be properly set for the future.
Old Sep 5, 14, 1:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus View Post
I can't wait to eventually stay at this hotel. I don't have reservations yet or any immediate plans but after reading all these active responses over the breakfast scandal, the excessive parking fees, the uncomfortable chairs on the room balcony etc....my expectations are now at a low enough level that I'm certain the actual stay at this property will exceed these expectations and I would have a wonderful stay.

I'm waiting for someone to comment on how they think the toilet is uncomfortable and then my expectations will be properly set for the future.
+1...my thoughts exactly for my January 2015 stay. Stays are often so much better when you go in with no/low expections or little hype.
Old Sep 5, 14, 3:02 pm

The toilet is actually very hidden. Good luck finding it. As well as the fridge. (Not a joke)
Old Sep 5, 14, 3:45 pm

Programs: GP Dia, HH Dia, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold

The toilet was fantastic! I was heartbroken when I got home and there was no heated seat or bidet :-(

My wife's comment upon finding out the suite had a (previously unknown to her) half bath: "Wait, there is only ONE bidet in our suite!!!???"

I turned to her and said "when did you discover there was a second bathroom?"

She then sheepishly turned around and went outside realizing how terrible she sounded.

I also love that it has it's own artwork. It really is a thinkpiece while taking a poo

Old Sep 5, 14, 3:49 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP

We just got back from a 5 night stay - similar to you, I had tempered my expectations given what was written and wound up having a terrific stay.

The diamond breakfast "devaluation" discussed here and elsewhere is overblown. On principle, of course it's a devaluation, and arguably a silly one given all the negative press for a relatively small cost savings, but considering the cold buffet is *plenty* of variety, good quality (they had 2 smoked fish options, tons of fruit, breads, panna cotta, etc.) plus an egg dish on the buffet and a choice of hot side dish as well (which can also be cooked to order eggs), no one is leaving breakfast hungry. Post devaluation, it's still a ~$100 breakfast for 4 that's comped (inclusive of tax and tip).

I stayed on cash and points and used a suite upgrade and wound up with a x39 room which if you've been to the hotel you'll know it's one of the best. Full ocean view, pool view, etc. Very nice recognition for diamond status.

I couldn't have been treated nicer by the staff there. No mystery charges on the room bill. Great service all around.

As far as suggestions, I would echo others comments that the furniture is very much form over function. Much of it in the room is uncomfortable - notably the patio furniture and the couch. Pillows help for sure, but I couldn't help but look at the couches in the rooms and think that they forgot to deliver the pillows for the back.

Service poolside was quite good save for one day this past long weekend where they were very busy and the food service suffered. That was an anomaly though.

All in all I would return again without hesitation. It's definitely a solid 3.5-4 star property (out of 5).
Old Sep 5, 14, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by DjRashonal View Post
The toilet was fantastic! I was heartbroken when I got home and there was no heated seat or bidet :-(
Having recently stayed at the GH Kauai, I still can't tell you if the bidet is a plus or a minus for me. I tried it once, and it was a bit....uncomfortable. Undaunted, I tried again a few days later. I still didn't enjoy it. I guess it takes all kinds, and I'm just not that kind.
Old Sep 5, 14, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Originally Posted by eltex View Post
Having recently stayed at the GH Kauai, I still can't tell you if the bidet is a plus or a minus for me. I tried it once, and it was a bit....uncomfortable. Undaunted, I tried again a few days later. I still didn't enjoy it. I guess it takes all kinds, and I'm just not that kind.
You can set the power of the water stream to whatever level you want. It shouldn't be uncomfortable at the right setting.
Old Sep 5, 14, 8:15 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding cabanas? We will be traveling with family (which will include 5 adults and a 1.5 year old). We usually like to book a cabana to guarantee a nice spot for shade, especially with the little one.

It looks like there are some cabanas on a few levels of the pool so just curious what people's thoughts were. We would like a view if possible, but our main wishes are shade, easy access to a pool and/or the beach, and not being right next to a DJ booth or on right on top of other people/cabanas. I realize that last part may sound impossible, but at one resort the row of chairs were literally 3-4 feet in front of our cabana so it made for a rather odd experience. I felt like we had four strangers in our cabana the entire day so that's all we're trying to avoid.
Old Sep 6, 14, 1:58 am

please, Mama Hyatt, don't take my Kodachrome away

Originally Posted by texdoc View Post
Were you there around the first week of July?
Yes, that's when we were there.

It was a wonderful nine days.

We arrived to the beach for our reserved outrigger ride the morning of our last day and the girl at the beach stand couldn't find our names on the list which was really weird since we had reconfirmed the day prior after booking on our arrival day. At first the answer was simply no. I was not happy and when she saw that she offered the paddleboards. We really enjoyed that.

Now everything seems charmed about our trip but, while thinking about a return visit, I discovered via this thread that the benefits we most enjoyed have been reduced or eliminated. Too bad.

Trip highlights included stopping pre-dawn en route to Haleakala for sunrise, feeling the heat and hearing the crackle of a sugarcane field on fire. Also wonderful was snorkeling at 5 Graves surrounded by 5 turtles.

The nine day stay required two DSU but one DSU for the extra two days was fine since we enjoyed one of the very best rooms on the property. Overall, a wonderful stay-- Thank you Hyatt! But please, Mama Hyatt, don't take my Kodachrome away.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: