Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Aug 27, 14, 2:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Mod

For all of those complaining about 'fake Diamonds', perhaps you could do the rest of us a favor and start a separate thread?
Old Aug 27, 14, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post
As soon as I read of all the perks given by this hotel I knew 2 things - I wouldn't be going any time soon and it was going to all come to an end.
Oh, come on now. How does somebody else getting the most out of breakfast ruin your enjoyment of a hotel?

All you did was deprive yourself of an opportunity to experience this hotel at its best.

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries View Post
Fake Diamond here.
That is a term conjured up by jealous Flyertalk members. In Hyatt's eyes, there is no such thing as a "fake" Diamond. Temporary diamond, maybe. But not "fake".

Originally Posted by janetdoe View Post
Of course. No real Hyatt Diamond would feel entitled to abuse a perk. All real Diamonds know that with great privilege comes great responsibility.
I couldn't tell if that's sarcasm of not, but of course there are no special behavioral requirements or expectations of a person that has reached Diamond level of Hyatt Gold Passport. The "responsibilities" of Diamond status are maintaining Diamond status. Nothing more.

This is a hotel loyalty program, not the Masters club in Augusta, maintaining quality by keeping the "riffraff" out.

Last edited by hailstorm; Aug 27, 14 at 4:32 pm
Old Aug 27, 14, 4:39 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Ok - we all have opinions about the Challenge, but please discontinue this line of discussion in this thread since it's not directly about this property.

Thanks!!

Peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt
Old Aug 27, 14, 5:00 pm

Now some of my perception on the property. It's a reasonably nice resort that is smaller (we stopped by one evening to the HR Maui and decided that wasn't for us - too big and the crowds). Some children are around but not nearly as many as other resorts (not an invitation to start the discussion on children here).

Design wise, it doesn't really say Hawaii to me - my favorite design element in the property are the hallways. We stayed here on P&C rate with a DSU applied - and was blocked into 518 (at the end of the Hema building which is to the left as you enter from the valet area). Comments on the suite is that it is definitely partial ocean view - the ocean is in front but the building is set back and you view the ocean over the roofs of the villas - so lower floors (418 and particularly 318) would have the views blocked by the villas.

Suite itself is nice and spacious - 1/2 bath on the left as you enter then the living room area (there is a connecting door to 516 so presumably it could be made into a 2br suite) with a small couch (strange appearing and a bit downscale IMO for the property) side chair, desk & chair, large "dining table" (pretty badly scratched) with 3chsirs and a bench, a minibar area large cabinet. Then the bedroom with King bed and lounge chair. The bathroom is massive with separate toilet room (largest I've seen in quite a while), closet, dual sink vanity (sinks too shallow and water splashes out easily coupled with the base of wood slats ensure maintenance problems once it gets older), free stranding large tub, long shower area with rainfall shower head (nice enough with shutters to the bedroom that can be opened so you can shower with a view but the shower area is too narrow/shallow) - IMO the whole bathroom should be configured differently so you can see the view from both the shower and the tub. Another flaw in the design is that the shelving for the towels washcloths and liquids is a wooden ladder - I really don't see it holding up well long term.

We've discussed the breakfast issue already - my feeling remains that the Diamond breakfast be the full buffet and not allow orders for additional items.

Overall, I would return to the property but it doesn't blow me away.

Were off to GH Kauai this afternoon.
Old Aug 27, 14, 6:02 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by UnitedWeStand View Post
This breakfast news saddens me. I booked my upcoming honeymoon at the Andaz Maui earlier this year and I was excited about getting the full breakfast experience.
For $34, you and your wife can have the full experience every morning. Considering its your honeymoon thats a drop in the bucket to erase the "sadness"
Old Aug 27, 14, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Originally Posted by exmike View Post
For $34, you and your wife can have the full experience every morning. Considering its your honeymoon thats a drop in the bucket to erase the "sadness"
Plus tax. Plus tip. Plus additional billing headaches that will creep in as a result of this convoluted system.
Old Aug 27, 14, 7:21 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by peteropny View Post
Now some of my perception on the property. It's a reasonably nice resort that is smaller (we stopped by one evening to the HR Maui and decided that wasn't for us - too big and the crowds). Some children are around but not nearly as many as other resorts (not an invitation to start the discussion on children here).

Design wise, it doesn't really say Hawaii to me - my favorite design element in the property are the hallways. We stayed here on P&C rate with a DSU applied - and was blocked into 518 (at the end of the Hema building which is to the left as you enter from the valet area). Comments on the suite is that it is definitely partial ocean view - the ocean is in front but the building is set back and you view the ocean over the roofs of the villas - so lower floors (418 and particularly 318) would have the views blocked by the villas.

Suite itself is nice and spacious - 1/2 bath on the left as you enter then the living room area (there is a connecting door to 516 so presumably it could be made into a 2br suite) with a small couch (strange appearing and a bit downscale IMO for the property) side chair, desk & chair, large "dining table" (pretty badly scratched) with 3chsirs and a bench, a minibar area large cabinet. Then the bedroom with King bed and lounge chair. The bathroom is massive with separate toilet room (largest I've seen in quite a while), closet, dual sink vanity (sinks too shallow and water splashes out easily coupled with the base of wood slats ensure maintenance problems once it gets older), free stranding large tub, long shower area with rainfall shower head (nice enough with shutters to the bedroom that can be opened so you can shower with a view but the shower area is too narrow/shallow) - IMO the whole bathroom should be configured differently so you can see the view from both the shower and the tub. Another flaw in the design is that the shelving for the towels washcloths and liquids is a wooden ladder - I really don't see it holding up well long term.

We've discussed the breakfast issue already - my feeling remains that the Diamond breakfast be the full buffet and not allow orders for additional items.

Overall, I would return to the property but it doesn't blow me away.

Were off to GH Kauai this afternoon.
We were there at the same time it sounds like. I was in the suite 126 ground floor with a partial private plunge pool. Easy access to the adult only pool from our balcony was nice. I second that the couch is strangely small and cheap compared to the rest of the room. Especially the huge hardwood table with seating for (at least) six. Also strange to me was the complete lack of cutlery and plating in the swing out doors of the wet bar. It made it hard to eat your own food or to even mix your own drinks. Sunset from the lobby and poolside bar was phenomenal. If they had a happy hour, it would've made it perfect.

I would definitely return as well, a solid 4 star resort.
Old Aug 27, 14, 7:28 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge View Post
Hello FlyerTalkers!

I just wanted to post some clarification on the Diamond Breakfast. Andaz Maui at Wailea offering for our Diamond members includes the following for breakfast: fresh breads and bakeries, smoked fish, sliced meats, fresh fruit & berries, yogurt panna cotta, oatmeal, a daily hot egg dish, and a variety of other daily offerings. In addition, our Diamond members will also include one side item from the a la carte menu (such as Bacon or chicken Sausage) and a choice of orange juice, apple juice, or Passion-Orange-Guava and freshly brewed coffee. We appreciate your feedback and please know that we work hard to take care of our most loyal guests by offering quality products and service throughout the property for your continued support of Hyatt Hotels and Resorts.

If you have any questions, as always, please feel free to reach out to us.

Safe travels,

Dana M.
This is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous! I have a stay booked with my wife and young daughter (celebrating her first vacation) in a few weeks. This is now past the cancellation period of my reservation. Will reservations booked before this change be allowed to have complimentary buffet? If this is not the case I will strongly consider canceling my reservation and I better be allowed to without penalty.

Last edited by mattolo; Aug 27, 14 at 7:34 pm
Old Aug 27, 14, 7:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, MR PP,
This is getting pretty high and mighty between the haves ("true diamond") and the have-nots ("fake diamonds"). Whether it is money, or power, or hotel status, or a first-class seat on points, some people seem to really want to flaunt it, which is disgusting and tacky. Tact, decorum, humbleness, and sincerity are much more pleasant than the sense of entitlement I see in a lot of these posts. I'll give an example - I sat next to Willie Nelson in F. He was totally chill. I have seen other people, that I know probably make much less than $100k per year, act like totally over-entitled asses in F. As a side note, I wonder what percent of the "haves" are status/points rich and penny poor?

But I did cancel my 7d Andaz reservation today and booked at the GHK.
Old Aug 27, 14, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K

It's all about promises broken: nothing gets Flyertalkers in an uproar as when a devaluation hits without warning or published benefits are altered/changed/ignored
Old Aug 27, 14, 8:35 pm

Programs: GP Dia, HH Dia, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by texdoc View Post
This is getting pretty high and mighty between the haves ("true diamond") and the have-nots ("fake diamonds"). Whether it is money, or power, or hotel status, or a first-class seat on points, some people seem to really want to flaunt it, which is disgusting and tacky. Tact, decorum, humbleness, and sincerity are much more pleasant than the sense of entitlement I see in a lot of these posts. I'll give an example - I sat next to Willie Nelson in F. He was totally chill. I have seen other people, that I know probably make much less than $100k per year, act like totally over-entitled asses in F. As a side note, I wonder what percent of the "haves" are status/points rich and penny poor?

But I did cancel my 7d Andaz reservation today and booked at the GHK.
I'm actually considering cancelling and going back to the GHK where we were last weekend. Did you already buy your flights? Did you cancel within the 21day time period? I know it seems silly, but like someone said earlier, it's part of the magic, but it is turning into a nickel and dime experience.
Old Aug 27, 14, 9:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, MR PP,
Originally Posted by DjRashonal View Post
I'm actually considering cancelling and going back to the GHK where we were last weekend. Did you already buy your flights? Did you cancel within the 21day time period? I know it seems silly, but like someone said earlier, it's part of the magic, but it is turning into a nickel and dime experience.
I was there in July. Was going back in March, so no airline tickets yet. I'm working on tickets to Kauai tonight.
Old Aug 27, 14, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by texdoc View Post
I was there in July. Was going back in March, so no airline tickets yet. I'm working on tickets to Kauai tonight.
We were there in June/July. Had a return trip booked for January - flights already booked. Thinking about changing to GHK anyways - haven't been there before.
Old Aug 27, 14, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
GHK is an amazing property. If anyone is having second opinions, head over to GHK. You will not be disappointed.

The best thing about the Andaz, was the breakfast. Everything from the rooms, to the staff is lacking.

GHK is on another level, you can't compare them. It would be unfair.
Old Aug 28, 14, 2:12 am

Back to the breakfast issue, the pantry breakfast more than complies with Hyatt T&Cs since it is a full breakfast with a hot egg dish and you're allowed to order a side item from the menu. It is better than most lounge breakfasts. The disappointment, also with me, is that it doesn't include the entire buffet.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: