Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by CanfordCliffs
for what its worth we never rent a car when we go to Wailea, maybe we are lazy but its a long 2-3 hour drive to lahaina and frankly we come here to relax. we find the fine dining, lounging, more fine dining, more lounging and a trip to GUESS at the wailea mall sufficient!
2-3 hour drive from Wailea to Lahaina?

They are only 20 something miles apart...
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by laxsnaogg
2-3 hour drive from Wailea to Lahaina?

They are only 20 something miles apart...
While there is often traffic, it's never (statistically speaking ) more than an hour, and more often than not it's like 40 minutes.

When I go to Maui I'm all over the island, there's must so much in so many places (beaches, reefs, hikes, surfing, sailing, mtn biking, sight seeing, food, national park, photo opps...) - there's no way I could sit at a hotel all day!

Rental cars are cheap in Maui (somewhere here on FT I found a place that discounts and resells rentals from the majors), and there's so much to do.

For those that are the "sit at pool all day and eat on property and relax" types, then one can do without the car at the Andaz... for those hyper never relax and/or adventure travel types, get a car!
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:13 pm

local review of Ka'ana Kitchen on Maui Now -

http://mauinow.com/2014/08/15/kaana-...-every-shekel/
Old Aug 16, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
local review of Ka'ana Kitchen on Maui Now -

http://mauinow.com/2014/08/15/kaana-...-every-shekel/
Going in September. Gonna eat there at least one night now.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by League
As a side note, we're now staying at the Grand Hyatt Kauai and love it! Some of this may be bc we fit in better here, with young kids, but honestly, the kids just generally go with the flow and aren't old enough to have strong opinions about what to do during a given day, so I don't think that's quite it. ... while the Andaz felt more urbane and generic. Still enjoyed it, but the GHK is a better fit for us (will have to add a review to its master thread).
We just came from the GH Kauai. It was spectacular for families. We had a Grand Club room ourselves, and our kids loved everything about the place, except the long walk to the pools. I want to also try the Andaz, but I will keep an eye on the reviews from other families to see what works best for us. Of course, part of the allure is we have not been to Maui before, so we have to get there eventually. The problem with Hawaii is going enough times to truly understand what island, what shore, and what resort/hotel to stay in. Of course, that is what we call first world problems.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 6:54 pm

Unimpressed with andaz

I am currently at the and as right now. I will say his is a very nice resort. However here are my complaints. The rooms are not family friendly. They are way to small when configured with 2 queen beds. They are too small for a family with 2 kids. There is not room for suitcases, no room in drawers for clothes and he bathroom is a waste of space. We are tripping all over out bags and clothes.as a diamond I have tried to complain and upgrade but have been told all rooms are the same size. I do not have any suite upgrades so they will not move me to a suite. I. Addition they say all suites are king only so would need 2 cots or air mattresses.
On diamond trial so no dsu available

He bathroom has no counter space and trying To get 4 people through there in morning or evening is ridiculous

Count me as unimpressed for families

Last edited by jrreynolds; Aug 18, 2014 at 7:10 pm
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by jrreynolds
I am currently at the and as right now. I will say his is a very nice resort. However here are my complaints. The rooms are not family friendly. They are way to small when configured with 2 queen beds. They are too small for a family with 2 kids. There is not room for suitcases, no room in drawers for clothes and he bathroom is a waste of space. We are tripping all over out bags and clothes.as a diamond I have tried to complain and upgrade but have been told all rooms are the same size. I do not have any suite upgrades so they will not move me to a suite. I. Addition they say all suites are king only so would need 2 cots or air mattresses.
On diamond trial so no dsu available

He bathroom has no counter space and trying To get 4 people through there in morning or evening is ridiculous

Count me as unimpressed for families
Andaz hotels in general aren't really known for being family friendly. Are children allowed and welcomed? Of course they are but I wouldn't say that's the demographic to whom they are catering.

I am not understanding what you mean about not having DSU available. Most unfortunately, they certainly are available during the trial period which is why I feel that so many people abuse the system. Please check your account. There should be DSUs in there.

I'm sorry that your expectations haven't been met at the hotel. Try to enjoy Maui anyway. From what I've heard, it's paradise.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:54 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
could you share the cheap rentals place?

Originally Posted by canyonleo
While there is often traffic, it's never (statistically speaking ) more than an hour, and more often than not it's like 40 minutes.

When I go to Maui I'm all over the island, there's must so much in so many places (beaches, reefs, hikes, surfing, sailing, mtn biking, sight seeing, food, national park, photo opps...) - there's no way I could sit at a hotel all day!

Rental cars are cheap in Maui (somewhere here on FT I found a place that discounts and resells rentals from the majors), and there's so much to do.

For those that are the "sit at pool all day and eat on property and relax" types, then one can do without the car at the Andaz... for those hyper never relax and/or adventure travel types, get a car!
sorry my memory has failed me here- must have been the jet lag, it SEEMED like acouple of hours but was clearly only 40 minutes!

Agreed there are alot of beaches etc to visit, lahaina is pretty. I cant comment on the hikes and biking but have heard the north of the island is pretty as it rains alot there, more "jurassic park"- would you be kind enough to share the cheap rental car place you mentioned you found on FT and we will try abit of driving next time!

Last edited by CanfordCliffs; Aug 19, 2014 at 12:54 am Reason: double quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
After finally getting around to checking my credit card statement, I found that the Andaz Maui charged my card three different times for my stay!

I contacted them and they apologized and promised to credit the overpay back. I'm a little disappointed that an apology without any explanation is all that they had to offer after I caught them trying to gouge me like that.

Last edited by hailstorm; Aug 19, 2014 at 5:14 am
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K

@canfordcliffs,

First of all, you were a great miler!

Secondly, I share your desire not to drive. I'm going for three days of relaxation - nobody seems to review the swimming/snorkeling at the beach at the Andaz.

Anyone?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me
@canfordcliffs,

Secondly, I share your desire not to drive. I'm going for three days of relaxation - nobody seems to review the swimming/snorkeling at the beach at the Andaz.

Anyone?
Look up-thread, I give a good detail review of each beach from Ulua (Andaz) south to near Red Hill (cave).

I don't remember where (on SD) I found the detail on cheap rental cars in Maui, but it's a company that resells the standard one (e.g. Hertz, Enterprise, Avis, etc.) for like 40-60 cents on the dollar. You make a reservation with that reseller company (by phone or online) and they give you a confirmation number with one of the companies, same as making it directly with the company (except the price). You can call the rental car company and reconfirm your res with your confirmation, it works great. Very cheap. Anyone know of this company? I don't remember where on SD info was posted (rental cars? Hawaii? another hotel chain thread?).
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
@canfordcliffs,

Anyone?
Yey, a kindred spirit on the lazing! Trust me we work SO hard most of the time, so when we are away we just dont feel the need for whizzing around to all the sites. Just like to sun and dine, swim and snorkel (oh yes and work on the balcony).

I haven't tried the Andaz, hence my interest in this thread, but have stayed at the Four Seasons, Marriott and Fairmont in Wailea. The Four Seasons and Marriott share the same beach, not sire if this is the same Andaz beach, and from my memory the snorkeling was ok but not great from the beach, sand being whipped up by the waves made the water abit cloudy tho it was ok by the rocks at either end of the beach. The swimming was LOVELY, quite wavey but so refreshing!

For what its worth the best off beach-by a hotel snorkeling and swimming we have found was on lanai - f/s manele bay but got abit put off after i found something that looked like a sea snake in a rock pool... beach was also alot quieter and more rockpooly things to look at, but the food wasn't great, so overall wailea wins our hearts.

We will be returning soon so i can refresh my memory then, just waiting for that amazing andaz deal to come up or to be upgraded to a diamond!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW
I'm going for three days of relaxation - nobody seems to review the swimming/snorkeling at the beach at the Andaz.

Anyone?

Both are really, really good.

When we were there, the waves picked up right around noon, so you'll want to snorkel between 8-11 or so.

My wife and I were amazed at the huge schools of fish swimming in water that was maybe 3 feet deep, and it just got better as we went further out / towards the rocks and multiple reefs on the south end. We didn't see any sea turtles like at Makena, but we literally saw hundreds of fish -- several different types, none with pointy fins sticking out of the water... and the humuhumunukunukuapua'a were prevalent (sweet, I've finally used that word after leaving Hawaii).

The snorkel rental gear was well-stocked -- we didn't want to paddleboard, but did see a few families on a waiting list for oars and boards.

There were limited umbrellas available on the beach, but it didn't matter to us -- we were in the water!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:17 am

Again, look up-thread for lots of details on the various reefs of Wailea and Makena.

The Andaz is on Mokapu beach. The reef sits between Mokapu and Ulua. This reef is excellent and easy for beginners. Experts will like that one can see turtles, eels, octopus, mantas rays and spotted eagle rays, and nudi branches. Any claims of bad vis are due to daily or seasonal conditions, nothing more.

The Marriott sits on the cliff between Ulua and Wailea beaches, good snorkeling here too.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K

My desire is to sit on my balcony while playing the ponies like at the arbor meeting tomorrow --
But I do want to swim and can't wait for October.

Thanks Canyonleo for the report!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.