FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

Ancien Maestro Apr 13, 2014 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 22698874)
When I was looking at this hotel in mid-February, the MyElite rate for the base room in mid-August was $599. Today, the ME rate for that same room is $359.20.

Previously I booked with C&P, and have been debating whether or not to rebook at this rate and get my points back. But the decision was made for me due to using the last of last year's DSUs on the reservation, which I will lose for good if I were even to change to a different reservation on the same dates.

I've rechecked my upcoming reservation in August, and noticed that the rate dropped significantly as well. I'm sure the MER rate shall continue to adjust. Its useful to check back, and have the rates readjusted.

jordandawg05 Apr 14, 2014 10:11 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 22699540)
I think that you have to call in to book a suite with points (minimum three night stay)

You can only book a base room with C&P. You can use a DSU to upgrade to a suite, but you cannot use points to do the same.

thanks for the info but whats DSU? not familiar with all the lingo :D

thanks !

Frequent_Flyer1 Apr 14, 2014 11:45 am

Originally Posted by jordandawg05 (Post 22702559)
thanks for the info but whats DSU? not familiar with all the lingo :D

thanks !

DSU stands for Diamond Suite Upgrade :)

hailstorm Apr 18, 2014 6:30 am

Seems like you can get 20% off of the Good Morning rate using the 21837 code?

vtgambler Apr 21, 2014 8:25 am

DSU Question

I booked a suite for a four night stay in early May about 10 months ago using points. After reading about how great (and expensive) the breakfast is I decided this might be a good use of a Diamond trial. I was just granted that trial and became of aware of the DSUs. Can I make any use of these on this stay? Based on what I've read I assume not but just want to confirm. Thanks.

RTW1 Apr 21, 2014 9:11 am

Not on a points reservation.... But can be used on a P+C booking if there's availability.

biosurfer1 Apr 21, 2014 10:08 pm

I had a great stay but count me as another customer who was double charged. I have 2 charges showing from the Andaz on the same day (check out). The front desk also had my portfolio incorrect when we checked out but it was changed right then but apparently it wasn't done right.

We are months into the place being open and I don't see this as a little issue, double charging customers is bound to happen but when it does over and over and over again, there is a major flaw that isn't being corrected.

jordandawg05 Apr 22, 2014 8:02 am

Originally Posted by biosurfer1 (Post 22739869)
I had a great stay but count me as another customer who was double charged. I have 2 charges showing from the Andaz on the same day (check out). The front desk also had my portfolio incorrect when we checked out but it was changed right then but apparently it wasn't done right.

We are months into the place being open and I don't see this as a little issue, double charging customers is bound to happen but when it does over and over and over again, there is a major flaw that isn't being corrected.

will have to keep that in mind when we visit in July - i agree if this has been happening to alot of people then there is a process/system issue .

nic3456 Apr 25, 2014 9:02 am

Overall I liked the property, but I'm not big on all the chic stuff and thought the room was a bit sterile (long term I think they are going to have issues with all that exposed wood in the bathrooms) and there was too much form over function (like the bathroom sink, I swear I always got more water on the floor than my face)

Resort has some odd extremes on pricing:
No resort fee, but $30 valet - no other option
Awesome breakfast - but $45/person (def worth diamond trial if you aren't diamond)
90 min couples massage - $510!
All day snorkel rental (best rental gear I've ever had) - $10
Free organic sunscreen at the pools (Retail is ~$25/bottle, my wife loved)
Free umbrella and chairs at beach, but $200 for poolside cabana

Had a random $36 charge, but they couldn't tell me what it was for and it was removed. My other room had an espresso & brownie from the store charged that we didn't do (and it was like $25!) had that removed. On the positive side I noticed they only charged me 1 day valet parking instead of 3.

I did love the pools and the lobby. Snorkeling better than expected and saw sea turtle, small octopus and a couple dozen different types of colorful fish. Staff were nice and friendly (but sometimes a little over the top like they were high :p and our waiter for breakfast one morning reeked of alcohol

vtgambler Apr 25, 2014 11:14 am

Originally Posted by nic3456 (Post 22759785)
Overall I liked the property, but I'm not big on all the chic stuff and thought the room was a bit sterile (long term I think they are going to have issues with all that exposed wood in the bathrooms) and there was too much form over function (like the bathroom sink, I swear I always got more water on the floor than my face)

Resort has some odd extremes on pricing:
No resort fee, but $30 valet - no other option
Awesome breakfast - but $45/person (def worth diamond trial if you aren't diamond)
90 min couples massage - $510!
All day snorkel rental (best rental gear I've ever had) - $10
Free organic sunscreen at the pools (Retail is ~$25/bottle, my wife loved)
Free umbrella and chairs at beach, but $200 for poolside cabana

Had a random $36 charge, but they couldn't tell me what it was for and it was removed. My other room had an espresso & brownie from the store charged that we didn't do (and it was like $25!) had that removed. On the positive side I noticed they only charged me 1 day valet parking instead of 3.

I did love the pools and the lobby. Snorkeling better than expected and saw sea turtle, small octopus and a couple dozen different types of colorful fish. Staff were nice and friendly (but sometimes a little over the top like they were high :p and our waiter for breakfast one morning reeked of alcohol

Thanks for the review. Seems pretty consistent with what others have said. We have a stay coming up in two weeks and I'm glad I opted to use my diamond trial for this trip as it seems worth it for the breakfast. One question: Did you have any issues getting chairs at the beach and/or pool?

rknicker Apr 25, 2014 12:15 pm

Ill chime in after a return visit in March (after one in January) to say that there we never had an issue getting chairs. Beach staff let us keep everything after sunset when they shut down. Also saw some sea turtles, lots of fish.. if someone finds a mens wedding ring snorkeling you can pm me :) :(

Had similar small issues, and happy surprises, and brought this up with mgmt so they were aware. Had a really good discussion with a manager who seemed very sincere in following up.

Overall, my take is they need to work on a lot of things, but are terrific in following up in any trouble you report.

nic3456 Apr 25, 2014 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by vtgambler (Post 22760588)
Thanks for the review. Seems pretty consistent with what others have said. We have a stay coming up in two weeks and I'm glad I opted to use my diamond trial for this trip as it seems worth it for the breakfast. One question: Did you have any issues getting chairs at the beach and/or pool?

We didn't have any issues getting chairs, it was quite nice - since staff setup/take down everything (both at beach and pool) they were pretty good about removing towels when people left. The only slight issue we had was one afternoon we wanted to get a 2nd umbrella and they had ran out at the beach (but were willing to go up to the pool and get one,but we said no). I would guess hotel was 60-70% capacity so it could be different at other times. Anytime before 10am and you are likely to almost have first choice of seat, especially at the beach.

UnitedWeStand Apr 25, 2014 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by rknicker (Post 22760909)
Ill chime in after a return visit in March (after one in January) to say that there we never had an issue getting chairs. Beach staff let us keep everything after sunset when they shut down. Also saw some sea turtles, lots of fish.. if someone finds a mens wedding ring snorkeling you can pm me

Had similar small issues, and happy surprises, and brought this up with mgmt so they were aware. Had a really good discussion with a manager who seemed very sincere in following up.

Overall, my take is they need to work on a lot of things, but are terrific in following up in any trouble you report.

I once had one of my rings fall off while swimming in a river during a backpacking trip. Sunscreen was the culprit. Surprisingly enough I found it three days later while swimming in the same spot.

I am heading to the Andaz Maui for my honeymoon later this year. I will keep an eye out :)

vtgambler Apr 25, 2014 2:59 pm

Thanks for the info. Looking for forward to our stay.

JetAway Apr 29, 2014 6:51 am

I recently made a reservation for later this year and noticed a 21 day cancellation period together with a two night penalty. This seems rather extreme and may force me to buy travel insurance. Are these the same cancellation terms others are receiving or is it something new.