Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Mar 16, 14, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
We were at the Andaz for a week in January/February. The weather at the Andaz and Wailea in general seemed to be a bit less rainy than in Kihei, and definitely better than Kaanapali. The winds were regularly higher than 15 mph, but definitely weren't a problem. We stayed in Kaanapali for a week after leaving the Andaz, and the wind is definitely more noticeable in that part of the island.
Old Mar 16, 14, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
Amazing what people will do to save a few $ on vacation...
Whose on vacation? I was in Maui a month, working most mornings.
And, to me, $250 isn't "a few $". Saving $250 (taking thrifty vacations) is what allows me to take 5-10 vacations a year instead of one or two.

But, really, a 10 minute walk on a beach in "paradise" is really a negative?

Anyway, I don't consider giving up control of my car to some hotel staff a luxury, quite the contrary, I dislike having staff bring my bags or park my car.
Old Mar 17, 14, 12:28 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by canyonleo View Post
And, to me, $250 isn't "a few $". Saving $250 (taking thrifty vacations) is what allows me to take 5-10 vacations a year instead of one or two.

Anyway, I don't consider giving up control of my car to some hotel staff a luxury, quite the contrary, I dislike having staff bring my bags or park my car.
You should come to SYD. No 5 star hotel charges less than $50 a day for valet, in fact some charge $70.
Old Mar 17, 14, 8:57 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I for one would like to thank you for posting hints to help fellow travelers. Some travelers are price-conscious. (Translation: not all of us are on expense account.)

If we measure people's worth by how much they like to spend on valet parking, go ahead and mark me "worthless". IMO, paying someone so that you can wait while they go fetch your car, when you could just as well go get it yourself (and probably need the exercise anyway) is the height of arrogance. Opinions will certainly vary.

But I digress. Thanks for posting so as to benefit your fellow travel enthusiasts.

Old Mar 18, 14, 7:33 pm

I'm reading GREAT stuff about Ka'ana kitchen. So it's free every morning for breakfast for Diamond members? Is it worth eating lunch or dinner hear? I assume it's very expensive...
Old Mar 18, 14, 8:43 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: United MileagePlus & FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
Originally Posted by DaveInLA View Post
I'm reading GREAT stuff about Ka'ana kitchen. So it's free every morning for breakfast for Diamond members? Is it worth eating lunch or dinner hear? I assume it's very expensive...
Yes, free daily for diamonds. I also found dinner quite good.
Old Mar 18, 14, 9:58 pm

just booked four nights here after I couldn't get four nights for early May at the Grand Wailea. Was interested in the bigger pool, slides, etc., but alas, one night was completly booked, rooms were not available for the other two using hilton reserve certs...hve a bunch more stays in may, so will probably do the diamond challenege and get diamond for the year and maybe hit 25 for next year, too.
Old Mar 19, 14, 10:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by leftpinky View Post
just booked four nights here after I couldn't get four nights for early May at the Grand Wailea. Was interested in the bigger pool, slides, etc., but alas, one night was completly booked, rooms were not available for the other two using hilton reserve certs...hve a bunch more stays in may, so will probably do the diamond challenege and get diamond for the year and maybe hit 25 for next year, too.
I've got six nights booked the first week of May at the GW. I'll trade you!

There must be a conference or something going on at the GW so the place will probably be a zoo. I think you're better off at the Andaz.
Old Mar 19, 14, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy View Post
I for one would like to thank you for posting hints to help fellow travelers. Some travelers are price-conscious. (Translation: not all of us are on expense account.)

If we measure people's worth by how much they like to spend on valet parking, go ahead and mark me "worthless". IMO, paying someone so that you can wait while they go fetch your car, when you could just as well go get it yourself (and probably need the exercise anyway) is the height of arrogance. Opinions will certainly vary.

But I digress. Thanks for posting so as to benefit your fellow travel enthusiasts.
Not to pile on (and to distract from the property reviews) but I agree 100%.

These bogus "parking" charges at resorts add up and many of us are happy to walk a little farther to save significant $$ over the course of a few nights. Particularly if we aren't using the car. I just spent 5 nights at Vail and really only used my car to go to/from DIA. I am sure many people do this for OGG as well. So these money-savings tips are one of the many things that make FT great IMO.
Old Mar 19, 14, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy View Post

Could not agree more. Twice I needed to retrieve items from parked car and was denied. The car was parked 100 feet away in plain view and valet wanted to drive it to me. I had to wait 10-12 minutes. Absurd. Told management they should have a self park option. I would pay more as I consider self parking more convenient.

Last edited by rrez; Mar 19, 14 at 12:53 pm Reason: add
Old Mar 19, 14, 7:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by rrez View Post
Could not agree more. Twice I needed to retrieve items from parked car and was denied. The car was parked 100 feet away in plain view and valet wanted to drive it to me. I had to wait 10-12 minutes. Absurd. Told management they should have a self park option. I would pay more as I consider self parking more convenient.
"Denied"? I would simply tell them I was going to retrieve MY things from MY car, and dare them to physically stop me.
Old Mar 19, 14, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by seaduck79 View Post
"Denied"? I would simply tell them I was going to retrieve MY things from MY car, and dare them to physically stop me.
How would you do that if you had used the valet, the valet had the keys, and the car was locked? I like the concept of your reply, but have you thought it through?

I think the point made is that being forced to use valet isn't viewed as a luxury by some, in fact some would actually pay to avoid using valet and self-parking (if there was that option). Maybe a luxury hotel that caters to the customer's (near) every need should offer desired options (like self-park)?
Old Mar 21, 14, 9:29 pm

I check in tomorrow. I am on the Diamond trial so should get free breakfast for me and my wife. However, we're going on a kayak excursion on one of the days from 7-10:30. By the time we're back at Andaz, it'll be close to 11. What are my options for the free breakfast then? I don't look forward to waking up 30 min earlier just for breakfast. Isn't room service an option for free breakfast for Diamonds?

One more thing-- do I need to make reservations for the breakfast buffet? Someone about a dozen pages up said the receptionist said walk-ins wait 30 minutes.

Last edited by DaveInLA; Mar 21, 14 at 10:23 pm
Old Mar 21, 14, 10:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
How would you do that if you had used the valet, the valet had the keys, and the car was locked? I like the concept of your reply, but have you thought it through?

I think the point made is that being forced to use valet isn't viewed as a luxury by some, in fact some would actually pay to avoid using valet and self-parking (if there was that option). Maybe a luxury hotel that caters to the customer's (near) every need should offer desired options (like self-park)?
I was going to say with an extra set of keys, if its actually your vehicle and you're Kama'aina. I guess rental vehicles don't give out two sets of keys. At least I haven't asked for an additional set.
Old Mar 22, 14, 8:57 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DaveInLA View Post
One more thing-- do I need to make reservations for the breakfast buffet? Someone about a dozen pages up said the receptionist said walk-ins wait 30 minutes.
I've stayed there three times now and have always been seated immediately. I usually have breakfast at 7 (they open at 6:30). The one time I had breakfast at 9 I was also seated immediately.

That being said if you are more comfortable making a reservation, you should.

Search this Thread