Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Mar 12, 14, 1:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by catsassy View Post
Wow, I'm amazed that the thief's girlfriend had the audacity to wear a stolen dress at the resort!
Glad it all worked out for you and didn't spoil your stay
The audacity comes from getting away with it in the past.
Not the first time this happened for sure.
Old Mar 12, 14, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Great report and pictures!
Old Mar 13, 14, 10:17 pm

stayed here 3/6-3/9 in room 639 (andaz suite). used c+p and DSU into a partial ocean view suite. on check-in, was informed we were upgraded to a full ocean view suite.

hotel is fantastic; the staff is super friendly, the grounds are immaculate, and the vibe is perfect (for us at least).

there's plenty of reviews here so i'll just chime in on a couple things that may or may not have been covered.

- i had called prior to the trip to see if they were included in the diamond breakfast and was told no. we ordered them each day and they didn't appear on the bill upon review at checkout. our bill ended up being $140 each morning; quite the diamond benefit.

- i asked if they had any poke on the first day and the chef said no, but he would go find some shortly when he had a chance. was delivered to the table 15 mins later and was delicious.

- we were told we could order a la carte entrees as a side to go with the buffet. for instance, my girlfriend got the pork benedict one morning to compliment the buffet offerings.

- 24 hour market pricing: $12-15 for wraps, $10-15 for salads, $17 for flatbreads, $9 for gelato.

- they put sunscreen out on one of the stations on the second level(on the right side if you're on the beach facing the resort). so if you dont want to buy any that's available.

- the food at all the restaurants is very, very good.

- our cab total each way was $60 total including tip.

- service is awesome. everyone is friendly and eager to help, and it doesn't come across in a contrived way. there's frequent chatter with servers especially at breakfast. the juice guy is awesome too.

it's really such a nice place. living in seattle, we travel frequently to places much farther off as a lot of us do for sun and sand (bali, thailand, maldives, greece, seychelles, etc), but the andaz maui kicks hawaii up a bunch of notches on my list.
Old Mar 14, 14, 10:25 am

Recently returned from a great stay at this property. Just want to comment on a few things:

--We used canyonleo's "kihei option" for parking to avoid using valet overnight. Worked great. It's a short walk to the hotel. My husband and I kept referring to it as the "$30 hike". We just used our cell phone for a flashlight and only ran into a few frogs along the way. It was a bit of a pain when it rained, but with four days of parking savings, we quickly got over that.

--Got upgraded to a great partial ocean view room (big surprise when we walked in the room--we hadn't asked for anything special). It really made our trip wonderful and I would suggest going for ocean views if you can spring for it.

--Had our pictures taken by the on-site Pacific Dream Photography. Great experience. Would highly recommend taking a short time out of your trip to do it. It's complimentary and there's no pressure to buy any of the photos.

--We did get sandals (an employee saw us walking back to our room without ours and offered some). However, they didn't have many sizes to choose from and that might be why they didn't offer us some at check-in.

A big thanks to everyone in the thread who offered their advice and suggestions!
Old Mar 14, 14, 11:07 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by fishinggal View Post
I kept referring to it as the "$30 hike".

OK, c'mon, "hike"? or "stroll"?
Just looking for an objective opinion
Old Mar 14, 14, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo View Post
OK, c'mon, "hike"? or "stroll"?
Just looking for an objective opinion
Ha ha So, "hike" may have been a misnomer. It wasn't that bad.
Old Mar 14, 14, 11:23 am

"--We used canyonleo's "kihei option" for parking."

What post was that?
Old Mar 14, 14, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by suite2suite View Post
"--We used canyonleo's "kihei option" for parking."

What post was that?
Try reading up-thread, or use the search ("Kihei" might do it).

Old Mar 14, 14, 6:29 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Amazing what people will do to save a few $ on vacation...
Old Mar 14, 14, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
Amazing what people will do to save a few $ on vacation...
All options should be on the table for people to choose.
Then some of us will save a few $ and decide to spend more on other services.

It's up to each individual how they want to spend their money.
Old Mar 14, 14, 8:17 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by suite2suite View Post
All options should be on the table for people to choose.
Then some of us will save a few $ and decide to spend more on other services.

It's up to each individual how they want to spend their money.
I'm not debating that.

On vacation, our goal is to relax and enjoy every moment. Personally, I value $30 a day in parking for valet worth that.

To each their own.
Old Mar 14, 14, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by canyonleo View Post
Try reading up-thread, or use the search ("Kihei" might do it).

No charge, and they are aware that you're saving money on parking? As long as its crystal clear, I may even use this option. But, I want to be above board.

I love walking, grabbing the vehicle and driving up to the entrance to pick up my family.. I do that everywhere.

Question: About the complimentary kids club/baby sitting.. Is there are 3 hour limit, or can the kids stay there all day?
Old Mar 16, 14, 10:10 am

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW
Another question... How does the weather in the Andaz's subclimate compare with forecasts you can get on weather.com, etc?

A bit nervous about an upcoming reservation when checking the forecast for Kihei and seeing highs in the upper 70s, with 15mph winds -- that type of weather doesn't make for a fun ocean experience, no matter how nice the hotel is.
Old Mar 16, 14, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by 318i View Post
Another question... How does the weather in the Andaz's subclimate compare with forecasts you can get on weather.com, etc?

A bit nervous about an upcoming reservation when checking the forecast for Kihei and seeing highs in the upper 70s, with 15mph winds -- that type of weather doesn't make for a fun ocean experience, no matter how nice the hotel is.
I've found weather.com very inaccurate when it comes to predicting Hawaii weather, particularly when it comes to rain. I think weather.com is getting their data closer to the airport or somewhere else which has a different micro climate than Wailea (or Kaanapali). In general, Wailea has some of the driest, nicest weather on the island, but that said, they do get storms, rain, winds, etc. too.

There is a site by a local weather guy that has some more localized info I've used in the past that seemed to be slightly better than weather.com:
http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/

where you can get a forecast by part of the island:
http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/maui.php?zone=HIZ021

Is does look like they're expecting some winds the next week.
Old Mar 16, 14, 11:46 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Unclear as to what you are envisioning/expecting for an "ocean experience" but what you describe above sounds like the normal trade wind forecast. I'd be more concerned with light/variable winds, which will mean muggy and hazy conditions. Wailea is in the wind shadow of Haleakala where Kihei is a little more exposed.

Search this Thread