Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 27, 14, 1:12 pm
  #661  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NYC
Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,096
Here now--the water bottles are supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Someone had asked about the complimentary outrigger tours up thread. They still do these, at 7 and 7:30am (so a half hour trip), but not all mornings. This week's schedule shows them as S, M, T, Th, Sa. Apparently they were getting cancelled last week due to weather. We went this morning and really enjoyed it, even in the rain.

For those asking about water temps, the pools and the ocean are quite warm now, we'd guess in the 70s.

Confirming there are suites in the middle of the wings, and in the middle tower--that's what we have.

Just had to stop posting to run out to the balcony and watch whales--so cool.

Lastly, if you are a coffee snob and doing the full "breakfast experience", get the pourover coffee from the juice bar rather than the house coffee your server will bring. So ono.

Last edited by Calcifer; Jan 27, 14 at 1:21 pm
Calcifer is offline  
Old Jan 27, 14, 1:35 pm
  #662  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,160
Originally Posted by Calcifer View Post
Here now--the water bottles are supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Someone had asked about the complimentary outrigger tours up thread. They still do these, at 7 and 7:30am (so a half hour trip), but not all mornings. This week's schedule shows them as S, M, T, Th, Sa. Apparently they were getting cancelled last week due to weather. We went this morning and really enjoyed it, even in the rain.

For those asking about water temps, the pools and the ocean are quite warm now, we'd guess in the 70s.

Confirming there are suites in the middle of the wings, and in the middle tower--that's what we have.

Just had to stop posting to run out to the balcony and watch whales--so cool.

Lastly, if you are a coffee snob and doing the full "breakfast experience", get the pourover coffee from the juice bar rather than the house coffee your server will bring. So ono.
Thanks for update. I was thinking about taking my 4yo daughter on the canoe trip, could she join and just sit near me or is she too young?
I heard it's a work out, so maybe she won't be able to join?

did you book a suite or was upgraded to one? Gonna head there this Sat.
hqly2001 is offline  
Old Jan 27, 14, 2:15 pm
  #663  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NYC
Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,096
Originally Posted by hqly2001 View Post
Thanks for update. I was thinking about taking my 4yo daughter on the canoe trip, could she join and just sit near me or is she too young?
I heard it's a work out, so maybe she won't be able to join?

did you book a suite or was upgraded to one? Gonna head there this Sat.
Not sure if she'd be able to join--there is nowhere to "just sit", and it definitely is a workout, especially in this weather. You'd have to check with the hotel if they have a minimum age.

We used a Diamond suite upgrade, so it's not a comp.
Calcifer is offline  
Old Jan 27, 14, 2:40 pm
  #664  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,160
I wonder what is the highest level room a diamond would get comped to? Partial view or Deluxe view rooms?
hqly2001 is offline  
Old Jan 27, 14, 8:31 pm
  #665  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Platnium
Posts: 288
Has anyone heard anything about the villas? Not finding much information online.
Barbella7 is offline  
Old Jan 27, 14, 10:33 pm
  #666  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NYC
Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,096
Originally Posted by Barbella7 View Post
Has anyone heard anything about the villas? Not finding much information online.
Someone upthread posted pictures (maybe in a blog link?). Looks like a few might be in use but the majority are still under construction.
Calcifer is offline  
Old Jan 29, 14, 7:10 pm
  #667  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SoCal
Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
Posts: 440
Originally Posted by Calcifer View Post
--the water bottles are supposed to arrive tomorrow.
Thank goodness...I was about to cancel my stay for this weekend.

But on a serious note, I'm using 2 Free Suite Nights (plus on night on cash/points and an upgrade) that I received for getting the Chase card in my good ol' Diamond Days, which means that breakfast will not be on the house. So my question for all of you is this: is the breakfast great for a free breakfast or is it great enough to actually pay for? Thanks.

xlax
xlax is offline  
Old Jan 30, 14, 12:55 am
  #668  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,160
Originally Posted by xlax View Post
Thank goodness...I was about to cancel my stay for this weekend.

But on a serious note, I'm using 2 Free Suite Nights (plus on night on cash/points and an upgrade) that I received for getting the Chase card in my good ol' Diamond Days, which means that breakfast will not be on the house. So my question for all of you is this: is the breakfast great for a free breakfast or is it great enough to actually pay for? Thanks.

xlax
My understanding is that its probably gOod enough to pay once but not everyday.
hqly2001 is offline  
Old Jan 30, 14, 12:57 am
  #669  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,160
Heard a lot of compaint about construction noise, does anyone know when construction will be completed?

Will the pool be more crowded on weekend or weekdays? Id imagine itll be pretty light next week?
hqly2001 is offline  
Old Jan 30, 14, 1:59 am
  #670  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Programs: Hyatt&Hilton&BW Diamond,GHA Black,Marriott Plat,SPG Gold,AB Platinum,TK Elite,AZ Alata Plus,EY Gold
Posts: 224
Originally Posted by Barbella7 View Post
Has anyone heard anything about the villas? Not finding much information online.
Someone wrote about the villas and had a link, but I can't find it anymore.
At least the first villas should be ready now.

For those of you actually there: what kind of coffee do they have in restaurants and in suites?
nighthawkrs is offline  
Old Jan 30, 14, 6:53 pm
  #671  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 831
Are there any entertainment and/or lounge options open late at the Andaz? I know Maui (especially Wailea) is an early closing area, but was hoping the Andaz had some late nite options.
milemonkey is offline  
Old Jan 30, 14, 8:01 pm
  #672  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 729
Originally Posted by nighthawkrs View Post
For those of you actually there: what kind of coffee do they have in restaurants and in suites?
I'll be there in a week, but from what I've read and seen:
Starbucks VIA (instant) packets in-room
Maui-grown pour-over at Ka'ana Kitchen, upon request.
tjbrooks is offline  
Old Jan 30, 14, 8:16 pm
  #673  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Posts: 1,532
Originally Posted by nighthawkrs View Post
For those of you actually there: what kind of coffee do they have in restaurants and in suites?

I'm a huge coffee snob, so while I can give great detail regarding what they offer outside one's room, I can't comment on what's in the rooms (other than categorize it as "swill").

At breakfast you can get pour over of really excellent but not the freshest local 100% (not a blend) beans. The beans will have been roasted within the last week or two (thus not the freshest), probably ground the night before.

In the restaurants (or at breakfast but not the pour over) I was told it's a blend containing some local (Maui or other island?), same freshness as noted.
canyonleo is offline  
Old Jan 30, 14, 10:59 pm
  #674  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,160
Anyone know the room diamonds are comped to? Deluxe ocean?
hqly2001 is offline  
Old Jan 31, 14, 8:38 am
  #675  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: United MileagePlus & FlyerTalk Cares
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
Posts: 17,364
Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
Actually, while there are suites on the ends of each floor (closest to the ocean) there are, in fact, suites in the middle of each floor as well.
This is my second stay here. The first was in mid-December. It's much busier now.

There are two different suites. There is the suite in the middle area and there is the suite on the end. I've now had both. The suites on the end have a considerably larger living room. They are furnished pretty much the same except that there is also a bench sofa against the wall across from the dining table. I don't see any real benefit to having the larger suite. I'd make requests based on view.

Originally Posted by Barbella7 View Post
Has anyone heard anything about the villas? Not finding much information online.
A villa was just featured on the finale of Top Chef (filmed here last fall). The second part of the finale airs Wed so you may see more then, or perhaps you can find a weblink to this past Wednesday's show. I know at least two of the villas are sold to the same buyer.

Last edited by l'etoile; Jan 31, 14 at 8:43 am
l'etoile is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread