FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

ZBigFam Oct 7, 2014 5:11 pm

Exactly, not sure what all the problems were but hope that things have stabilized for diamonds. Wanted to know if anyone with a family has stayed here recently.

sam_goh Oct 7, 2014 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 23640981)
Any recent stays to report? I would appreciate your feedback. Am debating a winter trip out with my fam (planning to book two rooms). We have young children and are considering either this property or the Grand Hyatt on Kauai. Although from what i hear the beach at the GH is inferior to the Andaz.

Any update on Diamond benefits? Not sure what to expect or not to expect.

Thanks everyone.

If you have young children, imo the GH on Kauai is a much better choice. Beach isn't as nice, but there's a killer pool complex, much larger grounds, cheaper eats to visit close by, etc.

ZBigFam Oct 8, 2014 6:35 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh (Post 23641917)
If you have young children, imo the GH on Kauai is a much better choice. Beach isn't as nice, but there's a killer pool complex, much larger grounds, cheaper eats to visit close by, etc.

Thanks Sam, the wife really wants a beach that is part of the property and based on what I have read the andaz is the only one that fits the bill.

hailstorm Oct 8, 2014 7:15 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 23644073)
Thanks Sam, the wife really wants a beach that is part of the property and based on what I have read the andaz is the only one that fits the bill.

Technically, none of the beaches are "part of the property", as all the beaches are public access by Hawaii law.

But yes, adjacent to the property.

canyonleo Oct 8, 2014 9:00 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh (Post 23641917)

I would have to offer a counter opinion. Mokapu beach (right in front of hotel) and Ulua (adjacent to the south) are two of the most child-friendly beaches in Maui (noting Old Airport Beach in Kaanapali is probably the most child friendly). All have calm waters (as calm as any beach, daily conditions will vary of course), restrooms, soft sand, close to car (or room) access.

With regard to food, Kihei has many more low cost family and plate lunch options than Poipu/Koloa, IMO.

Last, while no one would claim that the Andaz property is all that kid friendly (room layout, activities, etc.), the Andaz pool does have a very kid-friendly shallow area that has a slope (not steps) which in profile replicates a beach and would be friendly for a toddler (accompanied by parent of course!).

cmjaffe Oct 9, 2014 10:36 am

Agtree... saw alot of families with babies and toddlers (surprised) at Andaz... the staff iwere attentive... though wonder about space situation in the actual room (layout and amenities... but we all have our opinions of this Andaz regarding form vs function. The pools and beach can be toddler friendly. It's what you want from the actual island I guess.
For older kids I think Kauai might be a better choice.
JMHO

BOSOGG Oct 9, 2014 11:17 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 23644073)

Beach in front of Andaz Maui is nicer than beach in front of Grand Hyatt Kauai.
Beaches along Wailea, Maui coast are nicer than beaches along Poipu, Kauai coast. For best beaches on Kauai you would want to be heading up towards the North Shore.

ThreeA4Me Oct 10, 2014 1:50 am

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Just checked in by Megan, a terrific employee, but she was only able to upgrade me from garden queen to view queen, even when I offered to pay up charge or use points. Love the property though and lots of great cheap eats within 10 min drive. Also like breakfast is served til 11

ZBigFam Oct 10, 2014 4:50 am

Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me (Post 23654879)
Just checked in by Megan, a terrific employee, but she was only able to upgrade me from garden queen to view queen, even when I offered to pay up charge or use points. Love the property though and lots of great cheap eats within 10 min drive. Also like breakfast is served til 11

Any update on diamond benefits? I have heard that they were downgraded quite a bit?

dgross Oct 10, 2014 10:53 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 23655274)
Any update on diamond benefits? I have heard that they were downgraded quite a bit?

I have been here for the past 5 days. As you know, the breakfast has been downgraded to the "pantry breakfast" which consists of bread products (bread, muffins, etc), some cold meats, smoked Ono and smoked Salmon, cheeses and cheese spreads, yogurt/cereal and a frittata. You can select one hot item from the side menu, i.e.) two eggs or bacon or potatoes.

The Spa benefit has also changed. You receive a certificate for 10% off spa services or products. No more free access to spa pool, sauna, etc.

I was able to use a DSU and was supposed to have received a partial ocean view suite. I was told I was upgraded to a "better suite" which was on the first floor with the private pool. Since it is on the first floor, there isn't an ocean view. I don't know if the suite with the private pool is better than the ocean view, but my girlfriend loves the private pool off the patio, so we kept the room.

All in all, the service is excellent, the staff are friendly and accommodating. The Diamond benefits are not what they once were, but for me, the changes are minor and don't affect me much.

Goodmorning2U Oct 10, 2014 11:57 am

How is the spa here? Does anyone have pictures to share? There is a paucity available on the Andaz site.

I'm hosting a Flyertalk Do Dec. 11th at the FS Maui, rate $395, but am considering this property for a March trip.

exmike Oct 10, 2014 6:06 pm

If you're talking about the saunas and hot tub its actually rather small, but functional. Personally did not get any massages, etc.

hailstorm Oct 10, 2014 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by dgross (Post 23656940)
I was able to use a DSU and was supposed to have received a partial ocean view suite. I was told I was upgraded to a "better suite" which was on the first floor with the private pool. Since it is on the first floor, there isn't an ocean view. I don't know if the suite with the private pool is better than the ocean view, but my girlfriend loves the private pool off the patio, so we kept the room.

You get more room on the deck and access to a "shared private" pool, so I would call it a better room. Some people prefer the privacy and ocean views of a higher suite...but having experienced both, I preferred the pool side suite.

hailstorm Oct 10, 2014 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U (Post 23657352)
How is the spa here? Does anyone have pictures to share? There is a paucity available on the Andaz site.

There's a few seconds of footage in this official video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMK_JcWFKQs

ThreeA4Me Oct 10, 2014 8:55 pm

The breakfast is fine / just not great - a $17 up charge per person is steep.

Had the renown grilled cheese and lobster sandwich (and excellent waffle fries) with a beer - $38 is pricey (tip included) but you are poolside and it's quite tasty

ThreeA4Me Oct 13, 2014 4:53 pm

One other note for Diamonds: apparently your upgrade is dependent upon the kind of rate you booked. I was under a corporate rate and thus told "I can't upgrade you cause others paid a higher rate."

coffee18 Oct 13, 2014 7:46 pm

No more Points + Cash?

Not sure if this was reported, but I tried to email the Andaz Maui regarding a lack of Points + Cash availability next June, and this was their response:

"Thank you for contacting the Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort.

Unfortunately, as of October 8, 2014 we are no longer offering new Points + Cash reservations.

Moving forward we are only accepting points reservation and promotional nights.

We apologize for the inconvenience. For any further assistance, please feel free to let us know."

Needless to say, this is most disappointing.

hailstorm Oct 13, 2014 8:34 pm

The T&S doesn't make it clear that individual hotels can opt out...but it doesn't make it clear that they can't either:

9. Points + Cash awards are subject to availability and reservations using these awards must be made in advance by calling a Hyatt Worldwide Reservation Center. Member must pay the Points + Cash rate and redeem required point value to redeem award. Award is subject to maximum room capacity and based on standard guestroom accommodations, unless otherwise noted. Maximum room capacity may vary by hotel. Limited number of rooms may be allocated for these awards, and availability may vary by hotel. Points + Cash awards are not valid at Hyatt Zilara, Hyatt Ziva or M life resorts. Promotional blackout periods may apply due to seasonal periods or special events.
Just three months ago, a three night stay in a suite with full breakfast could be had for $375+DSU. Now it would likely be over $1500...

exmike Oct 14, 2014 12:09 am

Originally Posted by coffee18 (Post 23672505)
Not sure if this was reported, but I tried to email the Andaz Maui regarding a lack of Points + Cash availability next June, and this was their response:

"Thank you for contacting the Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort.

Unfortunately, as of October 8, 2014 we are no longer offering new Points + Cash reservations.

Moving forward we are only accepting points reservation and promotional nights.

We apologize for the inconvenience. For any further assistance, please feel free to let us know."

Needless to say, this is most disappointing.

Thats too bad. I guess what they're really nixing is cash+point + DSU though, in terms of value.

RTW1 Oct 14, 2014 5:48 am

And another downgrade for Diamonds... If you want to use your DSU you will now have to make a fully paid rate.

P+C was never guaranteed but this seems a first step that properties that are in demand won't offer it anymore. I wonder what will happen with the MER for 2015.

coffee18 Oct 14, 2014 6:33 am

Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 23674084)
And another downgrade for Diamonds... If you want to use your DSU you will now have to make a fully paid rate.

P+C was never guaranteed but this seems a first step that properties that are in demand won't offer it anymore. I wonder what will happen with the MER for 2015.

If ridding themselves of P+C+DSU was the goal, couldn't they simply create a policy disallowing DSUs to be applied to P+Cs? I get that P+Cs aren't guaranteed, but this action seems to be punishing everybody for the bookings of what I have to assume to be a small minority.

DaveH Oct 14, 2014 7:28 am

Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 23674084)

What's "MER for 2015" please? TIA.

Shame about the loss of C+P.

coffee18 Oct 14, 2014 7:43 am

Originally Posted by DaveH (Post 23674499)
What's "MER for 2015" please? TIA.

Shame about the loss of C+P.

My Elite Rate.

windycityf Oct 14, 2014 7:48 am

No upgrades on Points and Cash

I was lucky enough to find points and cash for next week. And then I noticed Suite were available. I can not use a DSU on my rate, only on the full rate.

So use 25,000 points and $340 or $990 for a suite for 2 nights. I am have tempted because its a pleasure trip, but seriously how much time will I be spending in the room to justify, $650???

RTW1 Oct 14, 2014 9:16 am

Originally Posted by coffee18 (Post 23674269)
If ridding themselves of P+C+DSU was the goal, couldn't they simply create a policy disallowing DSUs to be applied to P+Cs? I get that P+Cs aren't guaranteed, but this action seems to be punishing everybody for the bookings of what I have to assume to be a small minority.

The P+C + DSU availability always had the potential to be more limited vs cash + DSU... and if what is mentioned here before is true, that a property doesn't get any reimbursement for a DSU, then I can see why a property wants as much cash for a booking as it can get.
But it's also a (major) downgrade for Diamonds wanting to stay in a suite here. And off course for all of those that want to use their points and still want the stay credit.

I really don't like the direction this is taking, but I wasn't planning to stay here anytime soon anyway... Just like at the PH NY I don't really like the limited benefits vs the high rates.

If more properties will follow and there is still no online view on P+C availability this is starting to look like a major waste of time for the call center as well. I already dislike having to call, but at least scoring a P+C rate once in a while gives me some satisfaction.....

oc2005 Oct 14, 2014 10:48 am

Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 23675024)
The P+C + DSU availability always had the potential to be more limited vs cash + DSU... and if what is mentioned here before is true, that a property doesn't get any reimbursement for a DSU, then I can see why a property wants as much cash for a booking as it can get.
But it's also a (major) downgrade for Diamonds wanting to stay in a suite here. And off course for all of those that want to use their points and still want the stay credit.

I really don't like the direction this is taking, but I wasn't planning to stay here anytime soon anyway... Just like at the PH NY I don't really like the limited benefits vs the high rates.

If more properties will follow and there is still no online view on P+C availability this is starting to look like a major waste of time for the call center as well. I already dislike having to call, but at least scoring a P+C rate once in a while gives me some satisfaction.....

Are you sure about that? My experience has been there may be different suite availability for HDR+points vs. all points vs. eligible rate+DSU, but I've never heard of different suite availability for different eligible rates + DSU. I thought if you were paying any eligible rate (AAA, P+C, HDR, etc.) that opened the same inventory of suites using a DSU. That would be a terrible change if they changed that since the beauty of DSUs is any eligible rate is fair game and opens up the same inventory. Or did I misunderstand what you're saying? Thanks!

RTW1 Oct 14, 2014 10:53 am

Several properties have had less DSU options when paying P+C than using a DSU for fully paid rates.... I personally made reservations where the rate was show as P+C + DSU as a unique rate category.

So P+C has already been treated differently than the other rates.

exmike Oct 14, 2014 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by windycityf (Post 23674608)
how much time will I be spending in the room to justify, $650???

If you're in Maui, hopefully not very much!

pickles1107 Oct 16, 2014 12:49 pm

Just saw the news about P+C. This property keeps sliding down the (steep) slope toward mediocrity for me. We have a P+C + DSU stay planned for January. After that, probably won't be returning.

ashap Oct 16, 2014 2:09 pm

I just booked our January stay here. I had to separate the reservation 1 night in a 2-Queen room and 5 nights in a King room, all on points.

Question for those who stay as Diamonds but don't use the DSU's for a stay, how are the upgrades handed out at check-in if there are upgrades at all?

berto714 Oct 16, 2014 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by pickles1107 (Post 23687981)
Just saw the news about P+C. This property keeps sliding down the (steep) slope toward mediocrity for me. We have a P+C + DSU stay planned for January. After that, probably won't be returning.

Maybe I missed something, but how does this make the property mediocre? It doesn't impact the property itself, just your ability to stay there cheaply. Do you just evaluate properties based on how easy it is to redeem points there? :confused: Or is there something else that happened to this property?

sam_goh Oct 16, 2014 9:51 pm

@ashap - At this property for regular rooms, it's view or no view. And trust me, you do not want the rooms with no view.

@berto714 - Being able to use a DSU adds a whole another dimension to C&P redemptions. It's pretty useful at this property given how much larger a suite is than the base rooms.

pickles1107 Oct 17, 2014 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by berto714 (Post 23688834)
Maybe I missed something, but how does this make the property mediocre? It doesn't impact the property itself, just your ability to stay there cheaply. Do you just evaluate properties based on how easy it is to redeem points there? :confused: Or is there something else that happened to this property?

This is another in a list of perks/amenities that have been trickling away since this property opened.

Slippers, Spa access for diamonds, breakfast for diamonds, , managers reception twice a week with pupus, complimentary outrigger experience, and now no P+C.

I am now wondering what else could be done away with before my stay in January...perhaps the lemonade in the lobby? Sunscreen by the pools?

PortlySpartacus Oct 17, 2014 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by pickles1107 (Post 23693531)
This is another in a list of perks/amenities that have been trickling away since this property opened.

Slippers, Spa access for diamonds, breakfast for diamonds, , managers reception twice a week with pupus, complimentary outrigger experience, and now no P+C.

I am now wondering what else could be done away with before my stay in January...perhaps the lemonade in the lobby? Sunscreen by the pools?

I was just thinking the other day, wow, its been a while since somebody complained about the Andaz Maui breakfast buffet....for a while there, it was the top subject on this thread. I assume guests can still eat while staying here?

diggity Oct 17, 2014 5:02 pm

So much nit picking on this thread! Folks, just go and enjoy the hotel! This is a beautiful and wonderful property. We just got back from a 4 night stay and really enjoyed everything. The staff (while working out a few kinks) were all extremely nice and worked very hard. The hotel has wonderful pools and a fantastic beach (I really can't believe that it sat dormant for so long!).

To me it just does not seem sustainable from a rev pov for a hotel to keep some of the benefits up that this hotel originally had and which some members expect. The Diamond breakfast that we had served plenty of food options and variety; and the staff was flexible with us ordering some food off of the menu. We have been to the Fairmont, Grand Wailea, Marriott, Maui Prince (now Makena) and the Four seasons. At the Andaz, we had a lovely stay and would go back in a heart beat.

fireworksboy Oct 17, 2014 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by diggity (Post 23694509)
So much nit picking on this thread! Folks, just go and enjoy the hotel! This is a beautiful and wonderful property. We just got back from a 4 night stay and really enjoyed everything. The staff (while working out a few kinks) were all extremely nice and worked very hard. The hotel has wonderful pools and a fantastic beach (I really can't believe that it sat dormant for so long!).

To me it just does not seem sustainable from a rev pov for a hotel to keep some of the benefits up that this hotel originally had and which some members expect. The Diamond breakfast that we had served plenty of food options and variety; and the staff was flexible with us ordering some food off of the menu. We have been to the Fairmont, Grand Wailea, Marriott, Maui Prince (now Makena) and the Four seasons. At the Andaz, we had a lovely stay and would go back in a heart beat.

Funny thing is, had they started with the bare minimum (or slightly tighter controls) and then slightly increased them to their current status, people would be raving about the place. But they started out high, and are slightly reducing them.

You can always increases bennies, it's way tougher the other way 'round.

Fraggable Oct 18, 2014 1:37 pm

I checked in here on the 16th and have another 6 nights, if anyone wants to know anything about the property let me know and I'll do my best to find out. I'm here on a diamond challenge as well.

As for breakfast, I can confirm that diamonds now get the 'pantry' breakfast ($28 value + gratuity included) instead of the full $45 option that includes the omelet station, more meats, etc. the Pantry breakfast is still far and away the best hotel breakfast you're likely to see anywhere - and you get one side order such as bacon, chicken sausage, potatoes, etc.

I'm here on 4 nights from 2 Hyatt credit cards plus 88k hyatt points for the other 4 nights (booked pre-devaluation). I did not receive an upgrade at checkin, was quoted prices of $400 for a suite upgrade.

The hotel itself is by far the most amazing hotel I've been to. Given I haven't been to the Maldives or any other Andaz's or St. Regis's for that matter (fairly new to points and miles), but my vote is that this is the best hotel ever!

Now as long as hurricane Ana doesn't get any worse here, I'm expecting to have one of the best stays imaginable.

hailstorm Oct 18, 2014 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Fraggable (Post 23697671)
As for breakfast, I can confirm that diamonds now get the 'pantry' breakfast ($28 value + gratuity included) instead of the full $45 option that includes the omelet station, more meats, etc. the Pantry breakfast is still far and away the best hotel breakfast you're likely to see anywhere

Pantry breakfast is far and away the best hotel breakfast you're likely to see anywhere?

Um...no.

Given your admitted lack of experience in the matter, it's probably better for your credibility to avoid such hyperbole going forward.

Fraggable Oct 18, 2014 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 23698164)
Pantry breakfast is far and away the best hotel breakfast you're likely to see anywhere?

Um...no.

Given your admitted lack of experience in the matter, it's probably better for your credibility to avoid such hyperbole going forward.

Ok fine, whatever, I'm sure the Conrads in Asia are better, my point is that it's certainly not anything to complain about since they downgraded diamonds from the full breakfast.

diggity Oct 18, 2014 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by fireworksboy (Post 23694896)
Funny thing is, had they started with the bare minimum (or slightly tighter controls) and then slightly increased them to their current status, people would be raving about the place. But they started out high, and are slightly reducing them.

You can always increases bennies, it's way tougher the other way 'round.

No doubt. I've heard that since the downturn in the economy (even somewhat today), Wailea is a tough market for the hotels. I think that any hotel that opens up as new here has to lure folks in one way or another to establish it's name/credibility/property. The old Maui Prince (Makena hotel now, I believe), is going to be torn down next and re-built. Shall be interesting!