Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Colin
the standard suite is bookable with 4 adults, so i'd just make sure your reservation is accurate and figure it out upon arrival with your printed confirmation showing 4 guests as the motivator for the property to figure where each will sleep. with that printed confirmation, they'll either "make a one-time exception" to provide a rollaway or they'll give you a 2nd room or they'll upgrade you into a room that has sufficient beds (perhaps even a villa).
Good luck getting Andaz Maui to accommodate. They are known for not giving out anything that they consider “freebie” or “upgrade”. Free 2bedroom or Villa, you can dream all your want and it won’t happen.

In the past, the standard suite was the pool suite and they have allowed a rollaway. At some point they changed the standard suite to Andaz suite. If there is plenty room, perhaps just try different front desk agent?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by frenchie2
Good luck getting Andaz Maui to accommodate. They are known for not giving out anything that they consider “freebie” or “upgrade”.
This is just not true. Yes, they are known (rightfully so) for gaming award inventory.
But, I'd say in contrast to what you write, they are known for totally accommodating requests of Diamonds that frequent the property. In nearly every stay I've had there (nearly every year since it opened) I've been given the best available full view suite (not the Andaz suite I maybe have booked into using a TSU). They also have provided a second refrigerator and a microwave each visit (no cost of course).
Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo
This is just not true. Yes, they are known (rightfully so) for gaming award inventory.
But, I'd say in contrast to what you write, they are known for totally accommodating requests of Diamonds that frequent the property. In nearly every stay I've had there (nearly every year since it opened) I've been given the best available full view suite (not the Andaz suite I maybe have booked into using a TSU). They also have provided a second refrigerator and a microwave each visit (no cost of course).
my exact same experience. always get a view suite, frequently top floor. manager always communicates with me via text, almost fawning, genuine interest if we're enjoying our trip. always a wine welcome gift too.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You guys must spend a lot more when you're there than I do.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
my exact same experience. always get a view suite, frequently top floor. manager always communicates with me via text, almost fawning, genuine interest if we're enjoying our trip. always a wine welcome gift too.
I’m guessing old reports. Anyone been there since the new GM took over in May 2021? Had to negotiate hard to get it for $400 a night above Base suite (a TSU was already applied). They declined the offer originally for top floor, this was third from top.It was peak season.

same GM from the Andaz 5th Avenue that recategorized suite from regular to premium.

at my stay Wailea stay in 2019, got the treatment you described. Quite hardball now. I’m not a very frequent visitor (this fall will be third) but I had known the GM from Andaz 5th Avenue, and communicated in advance.

Last edited by beachfan; Jul 1, 2022 at 5:04 pm
Old Jul 1, 2022, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
I’m guessing old reports. Anyone been there since the new GM took over in May 2021? Had to negotiate hard to get it for $400 a night above Base suite (a TSU was already applied). They declined the offer originally for top floor, this was third from top.It was peak season.

same GM from the Andaz 5th Avenue that recategorized suite from regular to premium.

at my stay Wailea stay in 2019, got the treatment you described. Quite hardball now. I’m not a very frequent visitor (this fall will be third) but I had known the GM from Andaz 5th Avenue, and communicated in advance.
my last stay was Feb 2022 and the GM was over the top fawning & responsive via text. had a late night check-in and got standard suite. next morning text via app to see if anything higher, GM responded within minutes apologizing for not being on property for our checkin and moving us to top floor full ocean suite. was modestly embarassed staying for free and using tsu.

my general advice is never in advance ask for a premium suite upgrade for free. if you know management, then perhaps an email in advance w only the foggiest hints at it being a special trip. at checkin, ask for the upgrade in a way that’s not “can i have a free upgrade?”. ask for a lovely view as it’s where you proposed 5 years ago. ask for a room with a separate tub and shower knowing that’s a premium suite. mention partner not feeling well amd ask if you can get assigned a larger corner suite. if none of that works, then ask about paying for a premium suite (how much for an upgrade to that high-roller suite?). the absolute worst is open kimono asking for a freebie.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
my last stay was Feb 2022 and the GM was over the top fawning & responsive via text. had a late night check-in and got standard suite. next morning text via app to see if anything higher, GM responded within minutes apologizing for not being on property for our checkin and moving us to top floor full ocean suite. was modestly embarassed staying for free and using tsu.

my general advice is never in advance ask for a premium suite upgrade for free. if you know management, then perhaps an email in advance w only the foggiest hints at it being a special trip. at checkin, ask for the upgrade in a way that’s not “can i have a free upgrade?”. ask for a lovely view as it’s where you proposed 5 years ago. ask for a room with a separate tub and shower knowing that’s a premium suite. mention partner not feeling well amd ask if you can get assigned a larger corner suite. if none of that works, then ask about paying for a premium suite (how much for an upgrade to that high-roller suite?). the absolute worst is open kimono asking for a freebie.
I did a lot of that. Didn’t ask about another suite until after second day of facing a wall. Told them in advance,it was my 40th (true), ordered flowers for the suite.

looking over my notes, initial offer was over $700 for premium deluxe suite, declined, the revised $500 offer also declined, which was taken by someone else. Finally got a deluxe suite (two floors down ) at $300 after another day.

I don’t doubt your experience; I get extremely high end suites at the Gritti Palace because of my stay history. Plenty of people griping about no upgrades there.

Long history with the hotel should be recognized , but it isn’t only because you are a globalist or not your first time.
Also, 7 days over thanksgiving is a longish stay at a busy time.

Last edited by beachfan; Jul 2, 2022 at 9:30 am
Old Jul 1, 2022, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Nope. I made other plans assuming the option was no.

No - I didn't press.
i just checked in with my wife and two sons two hours ago. Called guest services and asked nicely for a roll a way to be brought up and For our sofa. Ed to be made up. Someone was in our room in five minutes with the rollaway no problem.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 5:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
I've asked a few times and been told that you can't get a rollaway for a suite (even though there is plenty of space).
I've absolutely gotten rollaways on request there, both on arrival and beforehand. Though now the norm is that the kids and mom get the bed and dad gets kicked to the pullout so we don't bother with the rollaway.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK. Next time I need a rollaway in a suite, I'll assume it'll work and figure it out when I get there.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Kacee
We've eaten many times at Morimoto and really enjoy it. The sushi/sashimi are excellent and the pork chop is fantastic. It's not cheap, but the prices are quite reasonable for the quality and setting. Less than you would pay in LA or NYC for a comparable meal.
Okay, I'm going to amend my opinion based on our lunch this afternoon. Super disappointing. Fish wasn't especially fresh, nor was it cut properly. Nigiri had too much rice and the rice was salty(!). They've also raised prices. Can no longer recommend.
Originally Posted by frenchie2
Good luck getting Andaz Maui to accommodate. They are known for not giving out anything that they consider “freebie” or “upgrade”.
Definitely known for gaming award availability, but we did find the front desk very accommodating in terms of trying to find us a suitable room. So I think "accommodation" depends on what you're trying to accomplish.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Okay, I'm going to amend my opinion based on our lunch this afternoon. Super disappointing. Fish wasn't especially fresh, nor was it cut properly. Nigiri had too much rice and the rice was salty(!). They've also raised prices. Can no longer recommend.
Definitely known for gaming award availability, but we did find the front desk very accommodating in terms of trying to find us a suitable room. So I think "accommodation" depends on what you're trying to accomplish.
Wow, that’s quite the fall. Hard to not get fresh fish in Maui, and restock quickly if you are always full.

I go there usually twice in a week when I’m there. Thanks for the warning.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachfan
Wow, that’s quite the fall. Hard to not get fresh fish in Maui, and restock quickly if you are always full.

I go there usually twice in a week when I’m there. Thanks for the warning.
While there is a lot of great fresh fish on Maui, very little of it makes its way to sushi tables. I think maybe ahi and amberjack are it. The other sushi fish is basically all flown in.

So Ka'ana Kitchen, for example, ends up with a lot of great local fish and shellfish on their menu - just most of it of the cooked variety.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
While there is a lot of great fresh fish on Maui, very little of it makes its way to sushi tables. I think maybe ahi and amberjack are it. The other sushi fish is basically all flown in.

So Ka'ana Kitchen, for example, ends up with a lot of great local fish and shellfish on their menu - just most of it of the cooked variety.
+1

With very rare exception, sushi fish other than maybe tuna and salmon is going to be flash frozen and flown in to any upscale sushi joint. Even tuna and salmon usually will be, too. Nothing wrong with it. Sounds like Morimoto is just holding onto thawed stock too long before cycling it out.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
+1

With very rare exception, sushi fish other than maybe tuna and salmon is going to be flash frozen and flown in to any upscale sushi joint. Even tuna and salmon usually will be, too. Nothing wrong with it. Sounds like Morimoto is just holding onto thawed stock too long before cycling it out.
The most expensive tuna in the world is flash frozen and sold at the Tokyo fish market. They cut it with a band saw.
platbrownguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.