Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2021, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's 0% speculation. It's a straight from discussions with hotel owners, hotel management and cleaning staff whom I talked to about their ways for managing costs during the pandemic.
You very clearly know nothing at all about this property's policies specifically.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 9:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Kacee
You very clearly know nothing at all about this property's policies specifically.
I very clearly know what about this property specifically would not surprise me. As even reports last month indicated for this very property, the hotel seemed to have been showing they remained on a cost-cutting path that adversely impacted guest experience.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
100% speculation. My experience in April was that front desk tried to get us into the best room they could, subject to available inventory. And there are plenty of reports in this thread of suite upgrades. The issue at this property is that people are paying for suites.
I paid for a three day stay in August in an ocean view room. I asked about an upgrade (couldn't use a TSU since the Andaz Suite wasn't available). They offered me a partial view for $500/night and a full view for $1200/night on top of what I was already paying.

They most definitely were NOT trying to get us into the best room they could (for free, anyway). This surprised me as a repeat Globalist paying cash.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
I paid for a three day stay in August in an ocean view room. I asked about an upgrade (couldn't use a TSU since the Andaz Suite wasn't available). They offered me a partial view for $500/night and a full view for $1200/night on top of what I was already paying.

They most definitely were NOT trying to get us into the best room they could (for free, anyway). This surprised me as a repeat Globalist paying cash.
i’d be embarrassed to publicly complain about not getting a free upgrade to a premium suite
Old Oct 31, 2021, 10:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Colin
i’d be embarrassed to publicly complain about not getting a free upgrade to a premium suite
Not if the suite was available and they tried selling you something that should have been complimentary for a Globalist, especially a repeat guest paying cash.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by friedablass
Not if the suite was available and they tried selling you something that should have been complimentary for a Globalist, especially a repeat guest paying cash.
But the offered rooms weren't ones that should have been complimentary for a Globalist, they were partial ocean view and full ocean view suites, which are not standard suites.

As for the above debate, surely it is true that both:
1. The hotel has been on a cost-cutting binge, and
2. The hotel routinely sells out its suites and villas (this particularly hotel absolutely does--it's selling out suites at $3k/night and faux "villas" at $4-5k/night), even if many, many hotels around the world have used covid as a reason to consolidate operations and remove high-cost suites from inventory
friedablass likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 6:10 am

This is just your typical FT DYKWIA. I'm a cash paying globalist give me the presidential suite for free please! Half of the guests on the property are globalists you're not as special as you think.
Colin likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Colin and AndyKehn: I just asked about an upgrade. That's all. They gave me the prices and I declined. End of story. Not embarrassed. The only reason I mentioned it was as a data point opposed to Kacee's data point:

My experience in April was that front desk tried to get us into the best room they could, subject to available inventory. And there are plenty of reports in this thread of suite upgrades.

I took the room I had paid for and, frankly, it had a very nice view.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 8:09 am

Well in fairness I interpret the post to be saying there were better non suite rooms available that per the terms, they are supposed to give you free as an upgrade. If that is the case, it's problematic because it's supposed to be a basic part of the program rules.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by antonius66
Well in fairness I interpret the post to be saying there were better non suite rooms available that per the terms, they are supposed to give you free as an upgrade. If that is the case, it's problematic because it's supposed to be a basic part of the program rules.
If we're talking about my post here, then no - there was no better room that I should have gotten per the terms. I got what I deserved, which in this case was what I paid for. As I mentioned in my previous post, my point was that the Andaz was not offering me anything beyond what I deserved, as opposed to Kacee's experience.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 11:14 am

I saw some old posts (2019-ish) about a Kihei parking option. Is this still a thing and if so, is someone willing to DM me details?
Old Nov 7, 2021, 11:45 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by kittymonster
I saw some old posts (2019-ish) about a Kihei parking option. Is this still a thing and if so, is someone willing to DM me details?
Sent you PM
Old Nov 9, 2021, 1:42 pm

Has anyone paid to upgrade from a points stay (regular garbage level room) lately? The last time we stayed a couple years ago, we paid something like 250-300 a night to upgrade to a pool suite. I am wondering if those rates have changed since all rates have gone up so much?
Old Nov 9, 2021, 9:16 pm

Programs: WN CP, Hyatt Glob, UA Silver
Originally Posted by datapoints
Has anyone paid to upgrade from a points stay (regular garbage level room) lately? The last time we stayed a couple years ago, we paid something like 250-300 a night to upgrade to a pool suite. I am wondering if those rates have changed since all rates have gone up so much?
we asked last month, our 3 weekend nights on points were upgraded to ocean view non-suite (best available), the price for ocean view suite (only offer) was $750/night additional but they seemed pretty full and thus not super motivated to make a deal. We did not take the offer.
datapoints likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 11:40 am

Programs: Globalist, Diamond via Aspire
Having an Andaz suite blocked for our June trip. Is ocean view suite much nicer? Any data point on cash upgrade from standard to premium suite? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.