Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Sep 28, 2021, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dgross
We were offered room service, but don't want to eat in the room. Restaurant staff were surprised that the guests weren't notified.
So there were restaurant staff there during breakfast hours, but the restaurant was still closed?

Either way, agree that all of the closings and reduced hours are completely unacceptable. I think a partial refund of some sort is due to compensate for the loss of amenities. Who goes to a high-end resort in Hawaii to not be able to order poolside or beachside drinks?!
Old Sep 28, 2021, 2:02 pm

There was 3 restaurant staff that we could see. We did speak to Blair the restaurant manager, he said we could order to the room.

I assume we could order drinks from Lehua Lounge if we are at the pool.

I am amazed that none of these changes were communicated. A complete lack of respect for the customer. Even the staff seem generally shocked when we informed them we weren't notified of any of this. Wonder what will be closed next?
Old Sep 28, 2021, 2:19 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
This is dreadful. Not what I would expect from Hyatt nor an Andaz.

and yes, over a 1000$ per night with limited service. Unbelievable.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 3:11 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by 59Impala
This is dreadful. Not what I would expect from Hyatt nor an Andaz.

and yes, over a 1000$ per night with limited service. Unbelievable.
TLDR: A canceled buy-out results in a sell-out... of paying customers.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 3:21 pm

I was told the lack of communication was due to the fact I was already here. Those checking in later were told of these changes and notification to me fell thru the cracks.

I have a poolside suite that I booked a year ago, rate thru Prive was about $800- $850 a day.

My prive agent reached out to their onsite contact, who reached out to me. They offered a deluxe view suite and a credit.

I am here for 10 days, 5 days are affected by this situation. We agreed to a $500 credit, any rentals at the beachcrew will be removed from the bill, and any breakfast charges for room service or Makopu market will also be removed from the bill.

I did rent cabanas which will be free for the remainder of the week ( we are celebrating my wife's birthday and our honeymoon). I understand its not necessary when there is no one here, but we like the cabanas.

They also offered to move us to a deluxe Oceanview suite but we don't want to bother moving. We are one of the few that actually like the poolside suite.

There is some value to being the only couple on Makopu Beach or at the pools.

A big thanks to my Prive agent!
TravelingChef and 59Impala like this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 3:53 pm

So now they just figure that their new standard rate is $1000/night? Because that's what they seem to be charging this week even though it's clear that most of this inventory will expire unused.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 4:13 pm

Andaz Maui seems like such a shady property. I have zero desire to stay there, I don't care how nice it is.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
So now they just figure that their new standard rate is $1000/night? Because that's what they seem to be charging this week even though it's clear that most of this inventory will expire unused.
Most of the hotels in Wailea have inflated prices at this time. I think they know the prices will eventually fall back to the norm, but they don't want start that trend. They are going to try and hold the inflated prices for as long as possible.

This week is a fluke because of the last minute cancelation. The company booked the Andaz, the Marriott, and the Four Seasons and cancelled about 4 weeks ago.

The Andaz will probably be back to 70-80% capacity next week. So, do you sell rooms at $1100 each at 70% capacity or $600 each at 100% capacity?

If the low capacity issue was for weeks at a time, I could see them drop the price. Time will tell.....
Old Sep 28, 2021, 5:04 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
This week is a fluke because of the last minute cancelation. The company booked the Andaz, the Marriott, and the Four Seasons and cancelled about 4 weeks ago.
This situation practically begs for inventory to be offered opaquely on priceline or hotwire.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
This situation practically begs for inventory to be offered opaquely on priceline or hotwire.
Maybe the issue is that they wouldn't be able to staff-up for higher occupancy anyway?
Old Sep 28, 2021, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Maybe the issue is that they wouldn't be able to staff-up for higher occupancy anyway?
I can tell you they furloughed alot of staff this week and I was told the same with Marriott and the Four Seasons too.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 1:25 am

I have a poolside suite that I booked a year ago, rate thru Prive was about $800- $850 a day
Glad your prive agent made things right.

I am only familiar with buyouts of smaller properties like Ventana where they shift booked guests dates but how does a buyout for Andaz Maui work if there are guests who booked already. Were you notified of the buyout and subsequently the cancellation prior to checking in? Cause they obviously dropped the ball in not notifying you of the reduced/no services.

I checked out on Friday so didnt experience any of this. I can only imagine what an experience it must be to have the beach and pool to yourselves! Happy birthday fo your wife and enjoy the rest of your honeymoon!
Old Sep 29, 2021, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by travelbugging
Glad your prive agent made things right.

I am only familiar with buyouts of smaller properties like Ventana where they shift booked guests dates but how does a buyout for Andaz Maui work if there are guests who booked already. Were you notified of the buyout and subsequently the cancellation prior to checking in? Cause they obviously dropped the ball in not notifying you of the reduced/no services.

I checked out on Friday so didn’t experience any of this. I can only imagine what an experience it must be to have the beach and pool to yourselves! Happy birthday fo your wife and enjoy the rest of your honeymoon!

I booked before the buyout occurred and was not originally affected by it, as I was allowed to keep the room. The hotel did NOT tell me after the fact of this buyout and to be honest, I am not certain if I would have wanted to stay here with this group. This group also began booking Kai Kanani's sailing trips, Trilogy's sailing trips, etc. and they took every day from Tuesday thru Friday.

I had already paid for a sunset sail with Kai Kanani. Weeks later, Kai Kanani returned my money and told me they sold out the boat to this group.

I only noticed by looking at the schedule for the hotel and the sailing companies. We tried to get friends to join us, and noticed no availability. I called the Andaz and they said they don't know why there was no availability. The person I spoke to at the Andaz originally attributed it to a website glitch. I think I learned of the buyout through my Prive agent or Hyatt corporate, I don't really remember.

While at the Andaz, I was told this group also bought out the Four Seasons and the Marriott,
Old Sep 29, 2021, 1:45 pm

Curious who the buyout was --- like a Silicon Valley tech firm -- or probably more likely something like a film crew trying to film a bubble season of the bachelor or somesuch?
Old Sep 29, 2021, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I only noticed by looking at the schedule for the hotel and the sailing companies. We tried to get friends to join us, and noticed no availability. I called the Andaz and they said they don't know why there was no availability. The person I spoke to at the Andaz originally attributed it to a website glitch. I think I learned of the buyout through my Prive agent or Hyatt corporate, I don't really remember.
I wonder if they would have honored your reservation if the group had not canceled.

A really poor showing overall by property management. Wish I could say I'm shocked, but I'm not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.