Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2021, 8:07 am

This resort takes no. 1 in Condé Nast Traveler's list of Top 20 resorts in Hawaii for 2020. It's still highly regarded, highly sought after so the free-night restriction game is not going away anytime soon.
flyersky1 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 8:52 am

Programs: WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by jameswes
If they're not quite full, they could be taking on flight crews to get to the 90%+ capacity such that people paying with points are reimbursed at a higher rate from Corporate (although this is corporate owned, so maybe not).
I believe Hyatt Corp sold this property in 2018 to Host hotels.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Walking through the lobby after lunch at Morimoto today, we saw a Southwest crew checking in. Pretty sure WN is not paying >$800 per night for its crews. Certainly an interesting revenue management philosophy (which some might call price gouging) in play here.
Same thing in late June. SW pilot and flight attendant checking out one morning, thought to myself SW pays for them to stay at the Andaz with public rates > $1K/night?
Old Jul 3, 2021, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by DnvTrvlr
Same thing in late June. SW pilot and flight attendant checking out one morning, thought to myself SW pays for them to stay at the Andaz with public rates > $1K/night?
I had seen SW pilots grabbing coffee from Mokapu market during our last visit, and thought it was a one off, but I guess not. A nice perk for SW crew if standard!
Old Jul 4, 2021, 8:21 am

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Sounds more like Andaz offers an attractive space available crew rate and some smart SW folk have decided to upgrade their 'extra day' layover in Hawaii. Crew rates are often amazing deals, not available to public.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 9:02 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by SportsTech
Sounds more like Andaz offers an attractive space available crew rate and some smart SW folk have decided to upgrade their 'extra day' layover in Hawaii. Crew rates are often amazing deals, not available to public.
When I worked for Swissair in the late 80´s until their grounding, I always had 50% discount on the rates (ID required, not publically available). Airline crews had even better deals, as hotels could sell maybe 15 rooms every night, guaranteed. I imagine here it would be in the range of 150-200$ considering the standard rate of around 1000$.

nice perk for the crew anyways…

Last edited by 59Impala; Jul 4, 2021 at 9:10 am
Old Jul 4, 2021, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 59Impala
When I worked for Swissair in the late 80´s until their grounding, I always had 50% discount on the rates (ID required, not publically available). Airline crews had even better deals, as hotels could sell maybe 15 rooms every night, guaranteed. I imagine here it would be in the range of 150-200$ considering the standard rate of around 1000$.
Interesting. So the crews have the ability to book where they want at a heavily discounted rate? That would explain the crews at Andaz Maui - this property has been releasing close-in award space, without minimum stay requirements, and sounds like they're doing same with deeply discounted airline crew rates when they have unsold rooms.

We also saw Southwest crews at the RI up the road, where publicly available rates have been in the $600-900 range.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 12:17 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Interesting. So the crews have the ability to book where they want at a heavily discounted rate? That would explain the crews at Andaz Maui - this property has been releasing close-in award space, without minimum stay requirements, and sounds like they're doing same with deeply discounted airline crew rates when they have unsold rooms.

We also saw Southwest crews at the RI up the road, where publicly available rates have been in the $600-900 range.

the 50% I referred to was for leisure or business travel. Not for the working crew needing a hotel accommodation. That was dealt by corporate and they negotiated the rates wich were certainly even more favorable.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 7:41 am

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
I am sure SW has booked rooms for the crew at a hotel that is nearer the airport and less expensivr... but the crews can always arrange their own accommodation at their own expense if they wish.

My experience, also decades ago,, was that every airport has a "crew desk" with a list of local properties, their availability/price, and a contact #. Rooms couldn't be pre-reserved, they were always 'first come, first served' I imagine that there's a more phone-friendly solution now. We stayed in some great places for very small $, and if I were a crew member with a 2 night layover in a beautiful place near the end of a 15 month nightmare, I would certainly be treating myself!
Old Jul 7, 2021, 11:01 pm

I am sure SW has booked rooms for the crew at a hotel that is nearer the airport and less expensivr... but the crews can always arrange their own accommodation at their own expense if they wish.

My experience, also decades ago,, was that every airport has a "crew desk" with a list of local properties, their availability/price, and a contact #. Rooms couldn't be pre-reserved, they were always 'first come, first served' I imagine that there's a more phone-friendly solution now. We stayed in some great places for very small $, and if I were a crew member with a 2 night layover in a beautiful place near the end of a 15 month nightmare, I would certainly be treating myself!
I'm really not sure this is what is happening here ... We saw probably 10-15 entire flight crews (not just stewardess or pilots) check in during our 9 night stay in May. It appeared as if it was a 1 night layover.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 12:50 am

Programs: Alaska & Hyatt
The Andaz Suite is now available for only 4 out of the 5 nights that I’m visiting . If I use the upgrade can I call back later, and have it extended if the 5th night becomes available?
Old Jul 11, 2021, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dakid23
The Andaz Suite is now available for only 4 out of the 5 nights that I’m visiting . If I use the upgrade can I call back later, and have it extended if the 5th night becomes available?
I thought the rule is that you can only apply a TSU if the suite is available for all nights of the stay?
Old Jul 11, 2021, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by dakid23
if you have 4 consecutive nights available, you can cut the reservation to four nights, upgrade, and then add the fifth. Then you can monitor availability and ask, it would likely be granted.

and there is a risk availability could disappear during the maneuvers..

but you can’t upgrade part of a reservation.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you cut a day here, most likely you will not be able to reclaim that day with either points or with the same cash rate as your previous reservation.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 2:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Maybe it would be possible for the OP to ask them to split the reservation to 4 and 1?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.