Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2021, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes - they have bikes, and while they aren't amazing, they are better than the first bikes they had. We biked up to Maalaea - very nice casual, flat ride. So you can get anywhere in Kihei with them. You can also bike south, all the way to Makena and beyond. I haven't done that, but the road is great and much of it even has a bike lane.
nsx and FT like this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 5:25 am

For snorkeling, are life jackets provided or do we need to bring our own?
Old Jun 3, 2021, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by miss_travel
For snorkeling, are life jackets provided or do we need to bring our own?
They provide everything.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 7:28 am

Staying at the Andaz on points in a few weeks. Was able to use a SUA on the Andaz Suite when it became available recently. What is a typical view from an Andaz Suite? Resort view? Pool View? Any hint of the ocean off in the distance? Maui veteran but first time staying at the Andaz. Really looking forward to it.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DnvTrvlr
Staying at the Andaz on points in a few weeks. Was able to use a SUA on the Andaz Suite when it became available recently. What is a typical view from an Andaz Suite? Resort view? Pool View? Any hint of the ocean off in the distance? Maui veteran but first time staying at the Andaz. Really looking forward to it.
AFAIK, the Andaz suites are technically basically lower level resort view suites, somewhat facing the pools (but I'm not sure if you can actually see a pool from them).

But I've used a suite upgrade there many times now and never actually been in that suite - I've always gotten a partial ocean. And to be clear, this is like from one end of the balcony you can see a sliver of ocean. I'm not complaining - those suites are private and comfortable and much better than being on ground level in the Andaz suite, but there's not a lot of ocean to be seen.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 3:23 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by DnvTrvlr
I've never been in one but my understanding is there is a view of the pool and a larger space which is a good thing.
I'm told/hear standard rooms are small however never been in one
When the hotel first opened they upgraded and confirmed in advance suite upgrades generously on every floor.
As the hotel gained in popularity they banned in advance suite upgrades except on the ground level which is in extremely limited supply.
Was not happy with those changes
The nice thing is they tend to upgrade those folks first in my experience to a better view so its good to be in those base level suites than not
Stay after stay the hotel has always came through with ocean view suites on a higher floor giving us their best shot on arrival
Having said that I believe some of that success has been avoiding Fridays and Saturdays which I always do.
I've never had less than a fantastic stay each and every time I come here .
I even forgave them for running out of coconut ice cream in the gift shop last time I was there at the start of the pandemic
Booked again for next year
Old Jun 10, 2021, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
AFAIK, the Andaz suites are technically basically lower level resort view suites, somewhat facing the pools (but I'm not sure if you can actually see a pool from them).

But I've used a suite upgrade there many times now and never actually been in that suite - I've always gotten a partial ocean. And to be clear, this is like from one end of the balcony you can see a sliver of ocean. I'm not complaining - those suites are private and comfortable and much better than being on ground level in the Andaz suite, but there's not a lot of ocean to be seen.
This was my view from a partial ocean view suite that we were in last month. It was off of the last cascading pool ... we picked up smell from the restaurants surrounding it, but it subsided by 8 or 9PM and wasn't that bothersome.

Prior to that room, we were in an ocean view king for 7 nights. TBH, if I had to choose between a partial view suite and ocean view room, I'd probably go for the ocean view room. The suite is honestly a bit awkward and doesn't use the space well at all. I would though take an ocean view suite (next photo) over and ocean view room, however.

Last edited by kthpence; Jun 10, 2021 at 10:02 pm
Old Jun 13, 2021, 3:53 pm

Points reservations

So, I’m looking at a reservation for summer 2022. Looks like 8 nights is the minimum to book online. What is the best way to drop it back down to seven nights, to make a suite upgrade available? Looking back through the posts, it looks like the concierge option wasn’t working and Twitter became the default. Is that still the case?
Old Jun 13, 2021, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
My Concierge said he couldn't help me w/ a similar request (not at the Andaz), but Hyatt Messenger (likely same team as Twitter) did it in a few minutes, no issues or questions asked
Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:18 am
FT

Originally Posted by Kacee
Which is why the base rate at Andaz is now over $1600/night on many days

We're booked for two nights at RI Wailea end of June on points before heading to Hana, and those rooms are now going for $749/night. (So a 1.44 cpp Marriott redemption!)
Just checked what rates are looking like for the week that I'm at the Andaz. We reserved at $759/night (with one night free so < $700 in aggregate) and have seen prices increasing since then. First to $959 and now at $1,400 per room per night. Not passing judgement on if it's "worth it or not" just simply amazed at the rate increase not just at this hotel but across Hawaii, Mexico, Europe, ... over the past few months.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:30 am

This hotel is hot garbage and not worth even $500 a night IMO much less $1400 a night.
Maui4me1 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FT
Just checked what rates are looking like for the week that I'm at the Andaz. We reserved at $759/night (with one night free so < $700 in aggregate) and have seen prices increasing since then. First to $959 and now at $1,400 per room per night. Not passing judgement on if it's "worth it or not" just simply amazed at the rate increase not just at this hotel but across Hawaii, Mexico, Europe, ... over the past few months.
It's over $1600 when we're next in Wailea. Staying at Marriott on points for two nights instead, before heading to Hana. (While the benefits otherwise lag, Marriott Wailea Resort is so much better than Andaz for award availability.)
Old Jun 15, 2021, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by haeil
This hotel is hot garbage and not worth even $500 a night IMO much less $1400 a night.
You must enjoy different values from a property than me, because I think it's worth quite a bit, well more than the hot garbage (that is there with the loading dock view base room lol).
dgross likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: Alaska & Hyatt
Staying for 5 nights in November. 3 nights on points, & paying cash for the remaining 2.

Checking every day for a suite upgrade but it’s not looking likely.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 7:07 pm

Just returned from seven nights on points at the Andaz. A suite opened up about 3 weeks before our trip and used a SUA to upgrade. First time Globalist from mattress running back in January. We were given what had to be one of the least desirable Andaz Suites on the property - 1st floor on the north side of the Makai wing, right next to the stairs leading to the adults only pool and facing the back of the new villas. I inquired about changing rooms but with the resort at full capacity was told no other suites were available. Said they would keep looking for options but never heard back.

On day four of our stay I noticed an ocean view suite available for the final two nights of our trip via the app.I inquired again and was moved to a 3rd floor ocean view suite, still on the north side of the Makai wing for nights 6 and 7. Much better view but still not a premium ocean view. I agree with previous comments that the extra suite space feels wasted and would go with a high floor ocean view rather than an Andaz Suite if given the choice.

No in room snacks provided nor any mention of them at check in. The breakfast buffet was very good but got old after 7 days. Pool chairs were typically all taken by 6:30 am. Best service was found by the folks around the pool and at the valet, front desk and breakfast staff not so much.

Thought the resort was decent to good overall but no strong desire to stay again.
Maui4me1 and Kacee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.