Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2021, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Any updates on breakfast here? Is it back to the old DIY buffet with lots of options, or still the limited, served buffet?
Served buffet but isn’t that “limited” - probably 10-12 hot options + eggs made to order (must order w/ server), fresh juices (again ordered w/ server) & then many cold options as well. Not sure what the buffet was like prior, but I’d say it’s a very solid breakfast.
Old May 24, 2021, 3:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by kthpence
Served buffet but isn’t that “limited” - probably 10-12 hot options + eggs made to order (must order w/ server), fresh juices (again ordered w/ server) & then many cold options as well. Not sure what the buffet was like prior, but I’d say it’s a very solid breakfast.
Well - there are bunch of us "old guys" dreaming of what used to be. Those $10 mimosas used to be unlimited at breakfast
Old May 24, 2021, 7:05 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Whatever... it's the free poke I miss
Cheap American sparkling wine and OJ... meh

JK... but I love poke, could eat it all day (with some rice at breakfast).
ZBigFam likes this.
Old May 24, 2021, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canyonleo
Whatever... it's the free poke I miss
Cheap American sparkling wine and OJ... meh

JK... but I love poke, could eat it all day (with some rice at breakfast).
There was poke at breakfast?

I'm missing thinks like the kimchi soup, the great bread selection, the salad bar with more than three items, the juices, etc.
Old May 24, 2021, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
There was poke at breakfast?

I'm missing thinks like the kimchi soup, the great bread selection, the salad bar with more than three items, the juices, etc.
In the early months following the property opening, and maybe it was only for Diamonds I don't know, buffet aside one could ask (order) anything from the kitchen and have it as part of one's breakfast... mimosas, poke, acai, anything with no extra charge. This was changed in time, only some months maybe (we speculate - or was anyone actually explicitly told that - it was changed due to abuse of it?).
Old May 24, 2021, 3:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Steak and slab bacon too! Yeah that didn't last long :P
Old May 30, 2021, 9:42 am
FT

Looking for some guidance on a week long stay my family I have have scheduled here for August. I'm the type of person that goes stir crazy after a couple days anywhere. While the Andaz seems to have to a lot of activities to keep me engaged longer than normal, I'd like to get off property for for a few days to do something. This proves to be difficult given the rental car situation along w/ the lack of Uber/Lyft.

Does the Andaz provide bikes (either as part of resort fee or for rent)? Outside the mall, is there any other place one can bike or walk to... is Kihei bike-able? I'm specifically looking for a simple casual food fare to go out for a couple dinners for example.

Does the Andaz or a local outfit offer a swimming w/ shark tour? I understand there are tiger sharks in the area, so am looking to do something more casual with sandbar sharks for example.

Thank you
Old May 30, 2021, 9:59 am

In 2018, they provided Free bikes. Don’t know about post-COVID. Also, Kihei is close enough to bike. We did it, a family of 3.
FT likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Klxp2016
In 2018, they provided Free bikes. Don’t know about post-COVID. Also, Kihei is close enough to bike. We did it, a family of 3.
Kihei is also close enough to walk, for those that like long walks (maybe a mile to the edge of Kihei), and it's a shorter walk if one takes the beach instead of the road.

The reef at the hotel is amazing, no need for tours or guides or any of that, just put on your gear and enjoy. If you are adventurous, there is another reef at the southern edge of Ulua Beach (the hotel sits on Mokapu Beach).
FT likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by FT

Does the Andaz provide bikes (either as part of resort fee or for rent)? Outside the mall, is there any other place one can bike or walk to... is Kihei bike-able? I'm specifically looking for a simple casual food fare to go out for a couple dinners for example.

Thank you
Plenty of casual stuff that is 20-30 min by bike in Kihei. Our go-to for authentic poke is the poke stand inside Tamura's liquor store (this will be obvious if you're familiar; this will sound bizarre if you're not, but trust me). For casual Japanese (not sushi, but small plates etc) we always go to Izakaya Genbe. For shave ice, try Ululani's (get it with macadamia nut ice cream on the bottom and lilikoi on top).
FT, adambadam and dakid23 like this.
Old May 30, 2021, 10:55 am
FT

This is terrific. Thank you. I was unsure if the road to Kihei was bikeable as a family of 5 thinking it may be a major throughway/highway. Hope the bikes work out at the Andaz.

Poke inside of a gas station/liquor store is our fave A bit different but my wife and I loved walking to Pono market and Java Kai in Kauai from when we last stayed there.

Looking forward to the snorkeling at the reefs mentioned... but love shark diving if at all possible. I see a couple places do caged dives w/ scuba, but I'm preferring snorkeling minus the cages w/ sharks... in a location somewhat close by due to the transportation issues.

Thank you again for the above recommendations. Super helpful.
Old May 30, 2021, 11:37 am

Just as an FYI, the courtesy shuttle to anywhere in the Wailea area is back, which is great for those who don't have cars. We didn't find out until day 7 of our 9 night stay, and it could've proved to be useful on a couple occasions.
Old May 30, 2021, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Plenty of casual stuff that is 20-30 min by bike in Kihei. Our go-to for authentic poke is the poke stand inside Tamura's liquor store (this will be obvious if you're familiar; this will sound bizarre if you're not, but trust me). For casual Japanese (not sushi, but small plates etc) we always go to Izakaya Genbe. For shave ice, try Ululani's (get it with macadamia nut ice cream on the bottom and lilikoi on top).
IMO their poke is not as good as pre-Covid... certainly the selection is only about a third what it used to be. Pre-Covid, great call.

Love Izakaya Genbe!, but isn't it only open for dinner? And, it's at the north end of Kihei, so not an easy bike ride from Andaz (I think Kihei is about 3 miles long, so it's at least 3.5 miles from hotel?). Nutcharee's next door is a good food option, too.
FT likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by canyonleo
IMO their poke is not as good as pre-Covid... certainly the selection is only about a third what it used to be. Pre-Covid, great call.

Love Izakaya Genbe!, but isn't it only open for dinner? And, it's at the north end of Kihei, so not an easy bike ride from Andaz (I think Kihei is about 3 miles long, so it's at least 3.5 miles from hotel?). Nutcharee's next door is a good food option, too.
Google Maps tells me it's a 4.5-mile bike ride. There is some traffic on the road, but it's a slow road and people are respectful drivers for the most part. I think 30 minutes is about the most it would take for anyone:

And Izakaya Genbe is good about updating its Facebook page. Currently open 10am to 10pm. Bento boxes before 3, happy hour 3 to 5. I have enjoyed all their small plates and dishes like whole mackerel, etc. Good prices on drinks too.

I agree that Nutcharee's is good for Thai, though it wasn't open for dine in when we were there a few months ago. So we went to Genbe twice.
FT likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 7:19 pm
FT

Awesome. Thank you. I think we'll bike although I'm sure we'll walk a couple times. Sounds like there are enough options off property if we want to get away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.