Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Apr 16, 21, 11:48 am

Programs: WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by bunny425 View Post
Hi All,

Normally what kind of suites do Globalist receive as complimentary upgrade at check-in? Has anyone received the partial ocean view suites? or something better than that?

Thanks,
Jenny
itís a popular property, apply a suite upgrade is usually a challenge. Not sure the odds are in your favor for a complimentary suite upgrade. If you do get lucky itís usually to the Andaz Suite
Old Apr 16, 21, 11:48 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Hi All,

Normally what kind of suites do Globalist receive as complimentary upgrade at check-in? Has anyone received the partial ocean view suites? or something better than that?

Thanks,
Jenny
Globalists normally do not receive complimentary upgrades to any suites at the Andaz, although upgrades to partial ocean and ocean view non-suites seem fairly common outside of high demand periods.

If you're able to use a suite upgrade to confirm one of the Andaz suites, that makes it more likely they'll upgrade it to a suite with a view, but I wouldn't necessarily count on that either. Most of the times I've booked an Andaz Suite or one of the pool suites, that's what I've ended up with.
Old Apr 16, 21, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by spgplat21 View Post
Globalists normally do not receive complimentary upgrades to any suites at the Andaz, although upgrades to partial ocean and ocean view non-suites seem fairly common outside of high demand periods.
Agreed. For the foreseeable future, the likelihood of a suite upgrade at check-in is pretty much zero.

Right now, the nicer rooms are booking first, leaving resort and maybe partial ocean view available day of check-in.

As much as any property in the Hyatt portfolio, this one is currently the epitome of the "book the room you want" property.
Old Apr 16, 21, 2:54 pm

Thanks for all that replied to my earlier question. With the many resort activities, which ones you do recommend the most? Thanks!!
Old Apr 16, 21, 3:01 pm

Thanks for all that replied to my earlier question. With the many resort activities, which ones you do recommend the most? Thanks!!
If they're still doing the outrigger canoe, that's a good one.
Old Apr 16, 21, 3:31 pm

The generic Andaz Suite is the standard suite at this property. There arenít many, so very unlikely youíll get a complimentary suite upgrade. This is a pretty hot destination for globalists in general ó many of which will apply their TSUs for the confirmed upgrade. Iím here right now and was stalking the Andaz Suite availability everyday for nearly two months - and I missed it the one day that it turned up.

More than likely youíll end up in a partial ocean view room. Which in itself is pretty nice - albeit small.

If applying a TSU thereís a slim chance they will upgrade you from the standard suite to something with a better view - but again, not likely unless business is slow. Which it generally isnít at this property.
Old Apr 16, 21, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
If they're still doing the outrigger canoe, that's a good one.
Agree - did that this morning and it was pretty rad. Itís pretty short, but you get pretty up close to turtles on the row.

My wife likes doing the yoga class, and my kids like the hula lesson.

The mixology class and outrigger should be the only ones you need advance bookings for.
Old Apr 17, 21, 8:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AllThePants View Post
The generic Andaz Suite is the standard suite at this property. There arenít many, so very unlikely youíll get a complimentary suite upgrade. This is a pretty hot destination for globalists in general ó many of which will apply their TSUs for the confirmed upgrade. Iím here right now and was stalking the Andaz Suite availability everyday for nearly two months - and I missed it the one day that it turned up.

More than likely youíll end up in a partial ocean view room. Which in itself is pretty nice - albeit small.

If applying a TSU thereís a slim chance they will upgrade you from the standard suite to something with a better view - but again, not likely unless business is slow. Which it generally isnít at this property.
Yup, this. General award availability is hard to come by. Suite availability is even harder. I'll be here my 4th time next week and was finally able to snag a suite upgrade (I booked it back in January before pandemic was opening up). Other times have had no upgrade or a slight upgrade.

There aren't a whole lot of suites. 301 rooms, 35 suites. And there's a lot of competition for them and people will just outright pay for them. (if you're paying cash the $800 for a basic room vs $1100 for a suite makes the suite look like an ok deal). Those that have the means to travel right now are somewhat being forced to stay in the US and hawaii is a dream location for most, so demand appears to be very high.
Old Apr 17, 21, 8:52 am

Somebody talk some sense into me please. First time Globalist here. Have 7 nights in June booked on points in the standard/likely parking lot view. No standard suite available to use a TSU. Even a minor upgrade at check-in unlikely. I know booking with points during the busy summer period, made even busier by folks flocking to Maui after a year of COVID, is an accomplishment in itself. Have read the complaints about too many kids, breakfast isn’t as good as it used to be, lines for breakfast, no snacks in rooms any more, little to no Globalist recognition, etc.

Have been to Maui ​​​​​a ton, always wanted to stay at the Andaz and never have been able to make it happen. Free parking, waived resort fee, great beach with free chairs and umbrella, great pools sound good to me. Why am I even questioning my stay?
Old Apr 17, 21, 9:23 am

I cancelled my summer stay with tsu. I hate kids and crowd. Booked a vacasa property with my wyndham points instead for a 1 bedroom house with kitchen etc For 30k/nights I'd rather spend them at Ventana or pay a bit more for Miraval. To each their own but family and their damn kids really ruin every good thing in this hobby. I'll reevaluate when amenities are back to normal and kids are back to school.
kthpence, TravelingChef and drod like this.
Old Apr 17, 21, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DnvTrvlr View Post
Have been to Maui ​​​​​a ton, always wanted to stay at the Andaz and never have been able to make it happen. Free parking, waived resort fee, great beach with free chairs and umbrella, great pools sound good to me. Why am I even questioning my stay?
Go for it. While I don't see the value at $800/night, on points it's a great value for Globalist. Honestly I'm not sure garden view vs. ocean view is that big a deal (though a suite, which is on the building corner, would definitely improve the in-room experience considerably).

We didn't have any issues with breakfast (which was very good, except the absence of juice), not even last day when we came down around 9 am.

Make your Morimoto dinner reservation early.
redbirdsj likes this.
Old Apr 17, 21, 9:50 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Go for it. While I don't see the value at $800/night, on points it's a great value for Globalist. Honestly I'm not sure garden view vs. ocean view is that big a deal (though a suite, which is on the building corner, would definitely improve the in-room experience considerably).

We didn't have any issues with breakfast (which was very good, except the absence of juice), not even last day when we came down around 9 am.

Make your Morimoto dinner reservation early.
If you are a Glob, they aren't really going to block you to dumpster view (and smell) is my guess, especially if you call a week in advance (and maybe again a couple days in advance) of arrival and talk to a front desk manager/supervisor and make a request, try to build a (even superficial) relationship. They might not have even a partial ocean view for a Glob on points, but the dumpster view room is unlikely I think (in my experiences with the property).
Old Apr 17, 21, 10:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Somebody talk some sense into me please. First time Globalist here. Have 7 nights in June booked on points in the standard/likely parking lot view. No standard suite available to use a TSU. Even a minor upgrade at check-in unlikely. I know booking with points during the busy summer period, made even busier by folks flocking to Maui after a year of COVID, is an accomplishment in itself. Have read the complaints about too many kids, breakfast isnít as good as it used to be, lines for breakfast, no snacks in rooms any more, little to no Globalist recognition, etc.

To talk you into it - the rooms are perfectly acceptable, but you're not coming to Maui or staying at this hotel to stay in your room. IMO one of the best beaches in Hawaii, a great series of pools, a great breakfast (even during Covid), and a lot of benefits (activities, free sunscreen, free rentals of chairs/equipment). Not to mention a great location in Wailea, great weather, etc.
Daitheflu84 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 21, 11:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Barely); Marriott Platinum Life; Hilton, AA, United ex-status
Somebody talk some sense into me please. First time Globalist here. Have 7 nights in June booked on points in the standard/likely parking lot view. No standard suite available to use a TSU. Even a minor upgrade at check-in unlikely. I know booking with points during the busy summer period, made even busier by folks flocking to Maui after a year of COVID, is an accomplishment in itself. Have read the complaints about too many kids, breakfast isn’t as good as it used to be, lines for breakfast, no snacks in rooms any more, little to no Globalist recognition, etc.

The view on the front is not as good but the rooms can be quieter. Even if you're not looking at it from your room it is a walk-out beach with enough sand bottom you can use it, and if the sea conditions are right a pretty good snorkel reef. All without moving the car. The downside is limited dining in that part of the island, unless you want to finance upscale every meal, and they are not the largest or best furnished room ever.

Like it is so eloquently stated above, I really like the place on points, but I like it way better on points than on real money. Congratulations on actually getting a points stay at this hotel. Most of us have failed at that so many times we've gone somewhere else, You have set your expectations at the realistic level. I don't think you will be disappointed.
Kacee likes this.

Last edited by jayer; Apr 17, 21 at 11:28 am
Old Apr 17, 21, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by jayer View Post
The downside is limited dining in that part of the island, unless you want to finance upscale every meal
Plenty of reasonable options in Kihei.

Search this Thread